PDA

View Full Version : Question on playoff format

AZChiSoxFan
10-01-2008, 01:07 PM
If the Sox and Red Sox both advance, who would get home field? The Red Sox had the better record but they are of course the WC and the Sox were a div champ.

Same question in the NL for a potential Brewers-Dodgers matchup.

CHISOXFAN13
10-01-2008, 01:11 PM
If the Sox and Red Sox both advance, who would get home field? The Red Sox had the better record but they are of course the WC and the Sox were a div champ.

Same question in the NL for a potential Brewers-Dodgers matchup.

The Wild Card winner can't have home field in any series.

hawkjt
10-01-2008, 01:42 PM
All of which begs the question...who to root for?

Certainly if the Sox win, I want Boston and home field.
If sox lose, I want Boston to lose as I want no repeat.

So, I am rooting for Boston .....

AZChiSoxFan
10-01-2008, 02:18 PM

Thanks. That's what I thought, but I wasn't totally sure.

jcw218
10-01-2008, 07:38 PM

Unless it's the World Series and that the wild card winner is from the league that has home field.

Adele_H
10-02-2008, 01:52 AM
All of which begs the question...who to root for?

It's hard to decide. At the All-star break, my reasoning would have been:

1) Red Cubs & their fans are infinitely more annoying than Angels, who are actually kinda likeable. Adv: Angels (I'd like to see advance)

2) Angels would have home-field against the Sox while Red Cubs would not. Considering how much better Sox are at home vs. away.... Adv: Red Sox.

3) Red Cubs' blend of talent & experience matches up favorably against the Sox, especially Beckett, Matsuzaka who shredded us. And Lester? He's been one of the best pitchers in AL since the ASB, so he's no slouch. Adv: Angels

4) Some clown national analyst from Sports Illustrated Don-something was on Dan Patrick saying that the Sox wouldn't have homefield advantage throughout playoffs and as such should be written off.... Even though I know it's not true, if it WERE true.... Adv: Angels.

5) Mr. October Beckett may be hurt. No Manny. Varitek is a shell. Drew, Lowell aren't at full strenght, either. Even Ortiz is no more feared at this point than Texeira is... And unlike the Angels, Red Sox won't run us out of the stadium. Adv: Red Sox.

So, Red Sox struck first blow tonight. Might as well.

EuroSox35
10-02-2008, 03:00 AM
I prefer to see the Angels but picked the Red Sox

hawkjt
10-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Also, I would like to see the 04 and 07 champs go down to the 05 and 08 champs....:D:

Poetic justice...then next year we have the rubber match.