PDA

View Full Version : WOW 6-8 teams

sox_fan_4life
05-17-2002, 01:33 PM
Here is the link:
6-8 TEAMS (http://msn.espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0517/1383609.html)

With labor negotiations at a standstill and a strike looming, Bud Selig had some strong words about the future of Major League Baseball on Thursday.

Selig claims that six to eight major league clubs could go out of business in the next 12-18 months if the current economic climate does not improve, Selig said.

"I would say six to eight can't exist another year, another year and a half. We're talking about the immediate future," Selig said during a luncheon with editors and reporters from The Los Angeles Times. "There's a lot of clubs that simply can't survive the status quo."

Selig also told The Times that the future of those clubs depends solely on a change in the system because he is through trying to "prop them up" on his own with loans from baseball's central fund or his own connections. "I'm out of that business," he told The Times. "The lines of credit those clubs have will still exist, but most are out of credit. They're at the max.

"Baseball has $4 billion of debt, the bankers are nervous and the losses are very real," he continued. "You know how serious the problem is when six to eight clubs are for sale, including the Angels."

Reached by the Times at Dodger Stadium on Thursday night, MLB union leader Donald Fehr said he never heard Selig claim that 6-8 clubs are in danger of going out of business. "It seems to me the most important thing is negotiating (a collective bargaining) agreement so those things don't have to be considered," he told the Times.

Fehr also told The Times he would be "willing to hire a neutral party to grade" whether the union or the owners have been more aggressive in pursuit of an agreement. He has said that the owners have been generally unresponsive to any union proposals.

However, Selig and MLB vice presidents Rob Manfred and Sandy Alderson told The Times that it is the union that has been unwilling to negotiate and that the owners "remain committed to a moderate set of proposals" while avoiding "all this talk about a strike and interruption of play."

The two key ingredients of Selig's "moderate set of proposals" call for a 50 percent tax on all payroll above $98 million and an increase in the sharing of local revenue from 20 percent to 50 percent, according to The Times. The union believes the tax is equivalent to a salary cap, and privately believes, according to The Times, that the high-revenue clubs that drive the market would be hampered in the signing of top players if forced to share half of local revenue.

Union sources wonder if the owners are geared to make another charge at breaking the union and are deluded into thinking fans will come back if the game is shut down for the ninth time. The last work stoppage -- in 1994 -- led to the first-ever cancellation of the World Series, something that fans will find hard to forget.

"Our goal is to make a deal without having to worry about the fans coming back," Manfred told The Times. "Everything we have done during this go around has been calculated to get an agreement without an interruption."

Although baseball revenue has doubled to almost $3.5 billion since the last work stoppage, Selig told The Times there has been an increasing loss of hope in too many MLB cities. He mentioned NFL parity and the booming increase in NFL franchise values as indicative of what can happen in a "reasoned economic system."

"Am I supposed to sit and watch our situation deteriorate just to preserve the status quo?" Selig asked the Times staffers. "Ten years from now people would ask, 'Commissioner, what the hell were you thinking about?' I can't ignore it. It's too stark. If we don't address it now, the consequences will be even worse (than a possible shutdown)."

CerberusWG
05-17-2002, 01:47 PM
Tard, freaking tard.

Salary cap and revenue sharing aren't in my vocabulary!

raul12
05-17-2002, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by sox_fan_4life

"Am I supposed to sit and watch our situation deteriorate just to preserve the status quo"; Selig asked the Times staffers. "Ten years from now people would ask, 'Commissioner, what the hell were you thinking about?' I can't ignore it. It's too stark. If we don't address it now, the consequences will be even worse (than a possible shutdown)."

don't worry bud, we'll ask that anyway. he can't even f'n run a single baseball team--how in the world can anyone expect him to do a competent job as commisioner?

Cheryl
05-17-2002, 02:25 PM
Is Milwaukee one of these 6-8 teams? Should be.

raul12
05-17-2002, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

seeing as their roof is already f'ed up, why not? they suck too with no hope for the future.

Procol Harum
05-17-2002, 02:30 PM
If Bud and his fellow Bozos don't get a clue, I know about 30 teams that will be contracting...

Max Power
05-17-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

I was going to say that too. So what other 5-7 teams are part of this list?

Kansas City
Minnesota
Montreal
Tampa Bay
Florida
Detroit - maybe
Anaheim? - Disney wants out

RedPinStripes
05-17-2002, 03:14 PM
:tool
how many lies can i get away with?

MarqSox
05-17-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Max Power

I was going to say that too. So what other 5-7 teams are part of this list?

Kansas City
Minnesota
Montreal
Tampa Bay
Florida
Detroit - maybe
Anaheim? - Disney wants out

You might be able to add Pittsburgh, although they have that nice new stadium which should save them. Milwaukee should be at the top of the list, but probably isn't.

And I don't think it's a stretch to say that if this is "Tier 4," the Sox would be at the top of "Tier 3."

RedPinStripes
05-17-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox

You might be able to add Pittsburgh, although they have that nice new stadium which should save them. Milwaukee should be at the top of the list, but probably isn't.

And I don't think it's a stretch to say that if this is "Tier 4," the Sox would be at the top of "Tier 3."

If any of this is true, bud is the one who has pushed all these teams into these new stadiums. A few are really nice, but i think old parks could have had some re-construction like YankMee stadium had.

I was one who wanted Old Comiskey to be re-modeled instead of ripped down.

We all know the main part is these rediculous salaries of players.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-17-2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by sox_fan_4life
With labor negotiations at a standstill and a strike looming, Bud Selig had some strong words about the future of Major League Baseball on Thursday.

Selig claims that six to eight major league clubs could go out of business in the next 12-18 months if the current economic climate does not improve, Selig said....

It's after reading stories like these that I become utterly convinced the owners are going to force a strike. There is no doubt in my mind Selig honestly believes his own drivel. With an idiot like that leading the charge, how can another work stoppage be possibly avoided?

I'll bet you double or nothing Selig is going around right now making private comments that the union will never strike over management's current negotiating position. Has this idiot learned anything in his 35 years of baseball?

I am left speechless how reckless and stupid this man is. The owners are going to get their heads caved in yet again, because nobody in a leadership position had a clue what they were doing.

Bend over, Fox Sports. You'll be underwriting this work stoppage. When the money runs out, the owners will cave--just like in 1981. Un-f***ing-believable.

RedPinStripes
05-17-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

It's after reading stories like these that I become utterly convinced the owners are going to force a strike. There is no doubt in my mind Selig honestly believes his own drivel. With an idiot like that leading the charge, how can another work stoppage be possibly avoided?

I'll bet you double or nothing Selig is going around right now making private comments that the union will never strike over management's current negotiating position. Has this idiot learned anything in his 35 years of baseball?

I am left speechless how reckless and stupid this man is. The owners are going to get their heads caved in yet again, because nobody in a leadership position had a clue what they were doing.

Bend over, Fox Sports. You'll be underwriting this work stoppage. When the money runs out, the owners will cave--just like in 1981. Un-f***ing-believable.

Then every stadium will draw 5,000 a game for 2 years or more. If they strike this time, it will be more then 2 years that i boycott going to baseball games. Shaumburg flyers!!!!!! here i come!!!!!!

voodoochile
05-17-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Then every stadium will draw 5,000 a game for 2 years or more. If they strike this time, it will be more then 2 years that i boycott going to baseball games. Shaumburg flyers!!!!!! here i come!!!!!!

There you go... Whose money is that they are fighting over anyway? Yours and mine... No Series=No money. It is that simple *** these greedy bastards on both sides of the table.

You know the next generation of fans is up and coming. There are many high-schoolers who remember the last strike when they were 5-10 and now here we go again. How are these young people supposed to believe a word these idiots say? Why would they continue to buy into the dying dreams of their fathers, grandfathers and great-grandfathers. They will find another way to spend their income and in the end, baseball as we know it will die.

Then eventually, a new league will spring up and hopefully they will get it right, but if this current group of owners and players all fell off the planet tomorrow, they would not be nearly as missed as they think they would be...

Go Chicago Rush! Go Chicago Fire!

RedPinStripes
05-17-2002, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

There you go... Whose money is that they are fighting over anyway? Yours and mine... No Series=No money. It is that simple *** these greedy bastards on both sides of the table.

You know the next generation of fans is up and coming. There are many high-schoolers who remember the last strike when they were 5-10 and now here we go again. How are these young people supposed to believe a word these idiots say? Why would they continue to buy into the dying dreams of their fathers, grandfathers and great-grandfathers. They will find another way to spend their income and in the end, baseball as we know it will die.

Then eventually, a new league will spring up and hopefully they will get it right, but if this current group of owners and players all fell off the planet tomorrow, they would not be nearly as missed as they think they would be...

Go Chicago Rush! Go Chicago Fire!

I almost hope for baseball to fold. Maybe a new league would form and it would be done the right way.

voodoochile
05-17-2002, 05:48 PM

I almost hope for baseball to fold. Maybe a new league would form and it would be done the right way.

It would happen real fast. Probably many current teams would join the new league.

But, before that, I imagine the owners will bite the bullet and kill a whole season if necessary to get the union to fold. Heck, some of the owners would actually see a net gain, as it is cheaper to not run the team then it is to pay the salaries they have taken on.

Trust me, the union would eventually fold if the owners decided to change the rules and refused to budge. Don't know if that is for the best, or not. The owners might have to start signing replacement players under a new unilaterally enacted CBA, but eventually, the big names would start to cross the line and then the flood would follow. The owners own the game, they can - to some extent - dictate the way things go if they are willing to stand together and hold strong. Like I said, don't know if that is for the best or not, but it would at least end the current crap that pops up every 10 years or less... In the end, I think the fans would be happier...

CLR01
05-17-2002, 07:32 PM
Shaumburg flyers!!!!!! here i come!!!!!!

:chunks

Stay out of my city....:)