PDA

View Full Version : Another reason last night was special

Fenway
10-01-2008, 12:33 PM
A big part of the atmosphere at The Cell last night was Nancy Faust was there. TBS made it a point to jack up her music in the crowd noise mix.

She knew exactly what to play which is something canned music can not duplicate.

The Cell never looked better on TV last night...the blackout idea worked perfectly.

chisoxmike
10-01-2008, 12:35 PM
...the blackout idea worked perfectly.

It really did. When I first heard about it I wasn't that into it. I always thought it was a minor league thing to do. But it was great for last night, I would suspect that they try and do it for however long the Sox run is. But retire it after 2008.

Lefty34
10-01-2008, 12:50 PM
It really did. When I first heard about it I wasn't that into it. I always thought it was a minor league thing to do. But it was great for last night, I would suspect that they try and do it for however long the Sox run is. But retire it after 2008.

I really liked looking at the crowd last night on TV; I know someone said this earlier, but that college football atmosphere was great. You could tell that the fans' enthusiasm pumped up the players and that they in turn pumped up the fans, that was absolutely amazing and something I want to see more.

My only gripe is, though I know this won't work because of the nature of the game, is that I really would have preferred a white-out (think: Illinois at Penn State this past weekend). Again, I know it would be really hard to work in (the ball is still white, isn't it?) but I think that it would be more pronounced and would provide a great contrast for night games. That's just me.

BringBackBlkJack
10-01-2008, 12:50 PM

The only time I've heard of a team conducting a "blackout" was the Georgia Bulldogs' football team. They tried it in a football game in '07 and beat Auburn. They also tried it again recently and lost to Alabama.

I do agree that they should keep it going for the '08 playoffs... I thought the stadium looked awesome.

aryzner
10-01-2008, 12:52 PM
This has probably been mentioned but something I really loved is that I didn't see anyone doing the wave all night which is something I've seen at every other game I've been at all year. I hate the wave.

sox1970
10-01-2008, 12:55 PM
This has probably been mentioned but something I really loved is that I didn't see anyone doing the wave all night which is something I've seen at every other game I've been at all year. I hate the wave.

There would have been fighting in the stands if that happened. It was a hard core Sox fan crowd, and real fans don't do that ****.

eriqjaffe
10-01-2008, 12:55 PM
The only time I've heard of a team conducting a "blackout" was the Georgia Bulldogs' football team. They tried it in a football game in '07 and beat Auburn. They also tried it again recently and lost to Alabama.Ironically, MTSU did a "blackout" last night for their ESPN2 game.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sporting_blog/entry/view/13081/mtsus_blackout,_hail_mary_actually_work

gregoriop
10-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Huge thumbs up to Nancy...She definitely made the night extra special. 40,000 people singing Nana Hey Hey is just one of the things that do it for me.

beasly213
10-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Agreed. The Na Na Na Na Hey Hey Hey Good Bye sounds so much better on the live organ.

She better be there the whole playoffs!

Max Power
10-01-2008, 01:04 PM
A big part of the atmosphere at The Cell last night was Nancy Faust was there. TBS made it a point to jack up her music in the crowd noise mix.

She knew exactly what to play which is something canned music can not duplicate.

The Cell never looked better on TV last night...the blackout idea worked perfectly.

At some point during the game I had the exact same thoughts about Nancy/organ music versus canned music. I hadn't been to a day game since April so it was great to hear her again. I really hope the Sox find an organist to take over for Nancy when she hangs it up- though I've heard that won't be the case.

I was skeptical of the blackout idea, but it looked great. It really added to the exciting atmosphere.

Dibbs
10-01-2008, 01:06 PM
My only gripe is, though I know this won't work because of the nature of the game, is that I really would have preferred a white-out (think: Illinois at Penn State this past weekend). Again, I know it would be really hard to work in (the ball is still white, isn't it?) but I think that it would be more pronounced and would provide a great contrast for night games. That's just me.

I agree, however, I think they go with the blackout because everyone owns blacks Sox gear. I don't know of any white jackets, but white would definitely stand out more.

chisoxfanatic
10-01-2008, 01:07 PM
Agreed. The Na Na Na Na Hey Hey Hey Good Bye sounds so much better on the live organ.

She better be there the whole playoffs!
Definitely better than the canned music they have! I love hearing Gene Honda say "All right, Nancy!" to start off "Take Me out to the Ballgame" as well. Hearing her is a great pleasure!

I'm looking forward to stopping by her booth on Sunday.

Iwritecode
10-01-2008, 01:10 PM

The game was too close and too intense for that. Everyone was hanging on with every pitch.

DaveFeelsRight
10-01-2008, 01:11 PM
i wish saw how this looked on tv. but it was great to look at in person

Railsplitter
10-01-2008, 02:25 PM
For the first time ever, it put my two favorite baseball teams in the playoffs together: the Sox and whoever is playing the Cubs.

Rohan
10-01-2008, 02:38 PM

Yeah... Nancy went out of her way to be there too. As of three years ago, she only plays weekend day games during the regular season.

I go to Purdue University and the student section does "Black outs" but it's not as effective as having the whole stadium doing it.

SquirrelNutz
10-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Anyone attempting to do the wave last night would have had to do it in reverse ... after Thome's blast I don't remember sitting until I got to the car in the parking lot.

The Blackout was fantastic ... Nancy Faust was a great touch ... although there are appropriate times for canned music.

Last night was a sox-sational atmosphere ... let's keep it going throughout the playoffs!

Konerko05
10-01-2008, 02:43 PM
I remember turning to my girlfriend at one point and saying, "Nancy is tearing it up tonight."

She definitely added something to the electric atmosphere.