PDA

View Full Version : Cashman Gets 3 Year Deal

Sox4ever77
10-01-2008, 12:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3618663

Kinda of surprising.

gobears1987
10-01-2008, 12:22 PM
No one ever said that Hank Steinbrenner was smart.

jabrch
10-01-2008, 12:26 PM
300mm doesn't buy you what it used to.

palehozenychicty
10-01-2008, 02:38 PM
After all these years as a GM, I still don't know what he does. 95% of his pitching decisions have been wrong, and management probably made him sit in the corner with a dunce cap after all of them. Hank is a bigger clown, though. He only went to a handful of games the whole season, and is still talking! :o:

NewYawk718
10-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Cashman is a great Gm, this was a sound decision by the Yankees. The lack of knowledge on this board is amazing. Cashman is the man that led the re-emphasis on younger players for the yankees. Joba, Alan Horne, Hughes, Kennedy, Cano, Wang, Austin Jackson, David Robertson and other proud prospects would have been traded if it were not cashman's insistence. Cashman is a disciple of Gene "Stick" Michael who built the 94 to 2002 yankee teams that were so good.

EuroSox35
10-01-2008, 06:39 PM
Cashman is a great Gm, this was a sound decision by the Yankees. The lack of knowledge on this board is amazing. Cashman is the man that led the re-emphasis on younger players for the yankees. Joba, Alan Horne, Hughes, Kennedy, Cano, Wang, Austin Jackson, David Robertson and other proud prospects would have been traded if it were not cashman's insistence. Cashman is a disciple of Gene "Stick" Michael who built the 94 to 2002 yankee teams that were so good.

What a brilliant man to pay for the likes of Pavano, Wright, Farnsworth, and Hawkins as a backups for this master plan :rolleyes: And what moxy to pass on a guy like Johan Santana...

palehozenychicty
10-01-2008, 08:19 PM

He's steered it in the right direction with pitchers, but the jury is still out on position players. Nevertheless, his mistakes dipping in the FA market for pitchers have overshadowed his work. Plus, I've lived in NY for almost six years, and followed the team before I got here. The Yankee dynasty was created by Watson and Stick. Cashman did a good job of filling in small pieces. But I doubt that he had the biggest influence on their awful FA acquisitions this decade.

asindc
10-01-2008, 08:24 PM
What a brilliant man to pay for the likes of Pavano, Wright, Farnsworth, and Hawkins as a backups for this master plan :rolleyes: And what moxy to pass on a guy like Johan Santana...

I think this is a good move, though I think it is more difficult to evaluate Cashman than most GMs, as he has the pressure of not being able to rebuild, just try to reload. I think that's why he passed on Santana. He wants to finally try to build up the farm system and develop the major-league ready prospects like Chamberlain and Hughes. I don't think Steinbrenner-the-Older has allowed him to do much of that.

soxfanreggie
10-01-2008, 08:32 PM
How much of a "genious" will he be when he throws $22+ mil a year after Sabathia. Not saying he's not worth it, but it's easy to scout talent when you are throwing around $15-20 mil per year (or more) contracts.

turners56
10-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Cashman's a mediocre GM with a lot of money to spend. Big deal.

Sox4ever77
10-01-2008, 09:21 PM
He's steered it in the right direction with pitchers, but the jury is still out on position players. Nevertheless, his mistakes dipping in the FA market for pitchers have overshadowed his work. Plus, I've lived in NY for almost six years, and followed the team before I got here. The Yankee dynasty was created by Watson and Stick. Cashman did a good job of filling in small pieces. But I doubt that he had the biggest influence on their awful FA acquisitions this decade.

I'll cut Cashman some slack. Stick had early draft picks, Jeter, 6th player picked in 92, etc. Under Cashman the Yankees have either not had a 1st round pick or picked real low.

But the Watson/Stick era they made some good trades, O'Neill for Roberto Kelly steal being an example.

The Yankees farm system has gradually improved under Cashman. Though it took a little hit this year, when Hughes and Kennedy, got hurt and didn't pitch well and they still don't have many impact position players in the upper levels.

Also I read that the Yankees changed the way they scouted Japan after Igawa was a bust. Did they not learn from Irabu?