PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Roster-Who's in and Who's out

Chicken Dinner
10-01-2008, 11:28 AM
We're back to a 25 man roster. What's the consensus for who we take for this 5 game series. How many pitchers and how many position players?

hi im skot
10-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Dewayne Wise should play all nine positions at once.

btrain929
10-01-2008, 11:32 AM
When do we find out the official 25 man roster? Later today? Tomorrow right before the game? Isn't there a certain timeframe that teams have to make it official?

ChiSoxFan81
10-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Dewayne Wise should play all nine positions at once.

:rolling:

esbrechtel
10-01-2008, 11:42 AM
I would argue the definates are....

Pen

Jenks, Thornton, Linebrink, Dotel, Carrasco, Richard, Horacio Ramirez, Broadway

Infielders

Uribe, OC, TCM, PK, Swisher, AJ, Hall, DH Thome

Outfielders

Dye, Wise, BA, Griffey, (Swisher)

Thats 20 and the ones on the bubble I would guess would be...

Fields (probably make it for lack of IF options), Boone Logan, Wasserman (I bet makes it), TCQ (do we "waste" a spot for a guy that might be back?) Bourgeois (sp?), MacDougal (Probably makes it), Crede (what is his status?) Owens, and Russell

hi im skot
10-01-2008, 11:45 AM
Fields (probably make it for lack of IF options), Boone Logan, Wasserman (I bet makes it), TCQ (do we "waste" a spot for a guy that might be back?) Bourgeois (sp?), MacDougal (Probably makes it), Crede (what is his status?) Owens, and Russell

Out of those I would pick Fields, Wasserman, MacDougal, TCQ (I guess), and Russell.

You can't have too much pitching.

SOXPHILE
10-01-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm thinking position players:

Konerko
Swisher
Griffey
Thome
Uribe
Wise
Cabrera
Ramirez
Pierzynski
Hall
Anderson
Dye

Rotation Pitchers:

Danks
Floyd
Buerhle
Vazquez

Bullpen:

Jenks
Thornton
Dotel
Linebrink
Carrasco
Richard
Broadway

That leaves 2 spots. Maybe McDougal in the pen ? :puking:

1 more position player ? Fields ?

btrain929
10-01-2008, 11:47 AM

Pen

Infielders

Outfielders

You realize you forgot the starting rotation, right? That's 4 more spots, which only leaves 1 more spot for people on your bubble list.

salty99
10-01-2008, 11:48 AM
When do we find out the official 25 man roster? Later today? Tomorrow right before the game? Isn't there a certain timeframe that teams have to make it official?

You get up to 1 hour before first pitch. The Rays are most likely putting Crawford and Reid Brignac on the roster. Edwin Jackson is off. They are also undecided about Troy Percival.

btrain929
10-01-2008, 11:49 AM
I'm thinking position players:

Konerko
Swisher
Griffey
Thome
Uribe
Wise
Cabrera
Ramirez
Pierzynski
Hall
Anderson
Dye

Rotation Pitchers:

Danks
Floyd
Buerhle
Vazquez

Bullpen:

Jenks
Thornton
Dotel
Linebrink
Carrasco
Richard
Broadway

That leaves 2 spots. Maybe McDougal in the pen ? :puking:

1 more position player ? Fields ?

I'd rather have Russell than Broadway. Plus you need an infielder incase of injury, so Fields has to be in.

Law11
10-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Fields has to stay for no other reason than if an IF goes down he would have to play 3rd while others get moved around the IF.

hi im skot
10-01-2008, 11:50 AM
You realize you forgot the starting rotation, right? That's 4 more spots, which only leaves 1 more spot for people on your bubble list.

I failed to notice that as well. That changes things dramatically.

RockyMtnSoxFan
10-01-2008, 11:52 AM

Pen

Infielders

Outfielders

You left off the starters: Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Vazquez. That leaves room for one more. My guess is it would be Fields or MacDougal. However, as I understand it, MacDougal would only be eligible if he was replacing someone who was on the DL because he was called up after 9/1. Obviously Quentin will be on the DL, but I'm not sure you can put a pitcher in for a position player. I think Owens might be another one they take because Ozzie will want to have speed. I think Fields would be more useful, but with Ozzie you never know.

Hitmen77
10-01-2008, 12:03 PM
How does this work for a currently injured player like Quentin?

If they replace him on the roster now, could they "reactivate" him and have him bump someone off the current 25 later if the team advances and the player is ready to return from his injury?

RockyMtnSoxFan
10-01-2008, 12:13 PM
How does this work for a currently injured player like Quentin?

If they replace him on the roster now, could they "reactivate" him and have him bump someone off the current 25 later if the team advances and the player is ready to return from his injury?

They can change the roster for each series, but not during the series. If TCQ is ready in mid October but not now, he could be added for the World Series.
Whether they can replace him with MacDougal I do not know.

esbrechtel
10-01-2008, 12:18 PM
I failed to notice that as well. That changes things dramatically.

Youre right my bad :redface:

White City
10-01-2008, 12:21 PM
I think they'll take Bourgeois rather than Fields, as he can also serve as a pinch runner. Will they take him AND Fields (to make sure 3B is covered?). Probably. Ozzie doesn't need more than 11 pitchers (the usual 12 he likes, minus one starter since the rotation has been shaved to 4), so you go:

The 11 pitchers
12) Thome
14) AJ + Hall
16) Konerko + Swisher
21) Uribe, Cabrera, Ramirez, Fields, Bourgeois
25) Wise, Dye, Griffey, Anderson

My 11 pitchers would be the four starters, plus:
Jenks, Linebrink, Thornton, Dotel, Richard (loogie), Carrasco, HoRam (garbage time only)

hawkjt
10-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Carlos will not play this series so you leave him off and hope for the ALCS.
I think you need Boone Logan to face the Rays lefties.
Broadway has not shown me enough to belong yet.

Picking this roster will be an art not a science...gut feel time for Ozzie and Kenny.

Sox4ever77
10-01-2008, 12:29 PM
This thread brought to you by In N Out Burger. :)

lpneck
10-01-2008, 01:26 PM
My Roster

Starters
1. Vazquez
2. Buehrle
3. Floyd
4. Danks

Relievers
5. Jenks (R)
6. Dotel (R)
7. Linebrink (R)
8. Carrasco (R)
9. Thornton (L)
10. Ramirez (L)
11. Richard (L)

Catchers
12. Pierzynski
13. Hall

Infielders
14. Konerko
15. Thome
16. Ramirez
17. Cabrera
18. Uribe
19. Fields

Outfielders
20. Wise
21. Swisher
22. Griffey
23. Anderson
24. Dye
25. Owens

I would like to see Swisher starting over Wise, but I don't know if that's going to happen. Even if Swisher starts in LF, he can move to 1B in the late innings for defense if needed and Wise can come in to play LF.

Fields is the only backup infielder- if you need a sub at 2B or SS for some reason, Uribe would move over and Fields could go in at 3rd.

Owens is there to pinch run. KW shouldn't allow him to pack a bat or a glove on the flight to Tampa, just in case Ozzie decides to go crazy.