PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Top 10 baseball plays of the season

cws05champ
10-01-2008, 09:50 AM
Did anyone see on Sportscenter the supposed top 10 plays of the season? What a load a crap. They show Lester's and Z's no hitters...understandable. But the Phillies turning a double play to win the division? c'mon. A couple of nice CF fence climbing catches...and the biggest omition: NO Alexei Ramirez back handed scoop play at first. :angry:

I know I shouldn't get worked up about ESPN because I don't watch all that much anymore. But even at the time when Alexei made that play they were calling it the play of the year.

esbrechtel
10-01-2008, 09:52 AM
That is a horrible omission if that was Jee-TAH that would be the greatest play in all of baseball ever...

PennStater98r
10-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Griffey's peg last night should have made the list - either that or Danks' performance.

OldRomanPizza
10-01-2008, 04:00 PM
How is a no hitter a "play" of the year, anyway?

turners56
10-01-2008, 04:17 PM
Anderson's catch last night was better than any double play turned to clinch a division.

seventyseven
10-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Did anyone see on Sportscenter the supposed top 10 plays of the season? What a load a crap. They show Lester's and Z's no hitters...understandable. But the Phillies turning a double play to win the division? c'mon. A couple of nice CF fence climbing catches...and the biggest omition: NO Alexei Ramirez back handed scoop play at first. :angry:

I know I shouldn't get worked up about ESPN because I don't watch all that much anymore. But even at the time when Alexei made that play they were calling it the play of the year.

There is an easy remedy to your troubles, my friend. Do not watch ESPN, other than for live sporting events. No Sportscenter, no BBTN, no other crap. Worked for me!

RadioheadRocks
10-02-2008, 01:15 PM
I said it before and I'll say it again...

Eastern
Seaboard
Propaganda
Network

Learn it, live it...

JermaineDye05
10-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Not really a play but I certainly think a top 10 moment should have been Hamilton's first round in the derby. Although I didn't see it, I heard it was quite memorable.

btrain929
10-02-2008, 07:38 PM
How is a no hitter a "play" of the year, anyway?

My question, exactly. Have 2 different categories: Top 10 plays and Top 10 moments of the Season. No hitters belong in the latter, and Alexei's backward/sideways flip to 1B should be in the top 5 of the former.

MHOUSE
10-02-2008, 08:50 PM
I don't put any stock in ESPN's Top 10 opinion-based stuff anymore. It's like putting stock in any of Joe Morgan's "unwritten rules". ESPN only pays attention to teams east of the Hudson River and that's the bottom line. Until we can launch the Entertainment Sports Network Midwest we'll have to make do with our own opinions and knowledge. Trust me, it's a better place to be. I told my roommate on opening day 2005 that the Sox would be WS Champs. A good friend of mine called the 2008 Dodgers NL West victory and I was all over the Tigers being awful. Use your knoggins!

Michstate45
10-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Unless it is a "not top 10", then none of the ESPN top 10 lists are worth watching. You usually spend more time scratching your head wondering what bafoon made the selections.

The "not top 10" list is a riot however.

Brian26
10-02-2008, 10:49 PM
Griffey's peg last night should have made the list - either that or Danks' performance.

Griffey's throw from 160' from the plate that took two bounces to get to AJ? No.

chaerulez
10-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Griffey's throw from 160' from the plate that took two bounces to get to AJ? No.

Haha, my exact thoughts.

A play that most center fielders in the league can make as a top play of the season? People really must be drinking that Kool Aid.

SOX ADDICT '73
10-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Haha, my exact thoughts.

A play that most center fielders in the league can make as a top play of the season? People really must be drinking that Kool Aid.
That play was about 10% Griffey, 5% the Twins & Cuddyer not respecting Griffey's arm, 15% the Twins' utter desperation to score a run outside of the Crap Dome, and 70% AJ Pierzynski.

*For those of you doing the math, yes, that equals 100%!:cool: