PDA

View Full Version : Is It Just Me Or Is It So Much Sweeter This Way?

Thome25
10-01-2008, 08:32 AM
I feel like this division title is so much sweeter this way. When the season started no one expoected the Sox to do anything this year. The White Sox had to persevere through injuries to Crede, Contreras, and IMO the AL MVP THE CQ.

The Sox had so many ups and downs it feels so much sweeter because this team battled so hard to earn this. It's ironic that the last three games of the year they beat the media's 3 AL Central darlings the Indians, Tigers, And Twins.

That's what makes it so much sweeter too. They punched one of their most hated division rivals in the mouth to get to the playoffs.

I truly believe that in life when you take the hard road it makes the outcome feel that much sweeter. I think it definitely applies in this case!!!

What do you think? Is this one of the sweetest division titles ever just because it was so hard-fought?

asindc
10-01-2008, 08:36 AM
I said this last night in another thread. We went from the worst regular season defeat I've experienced in my life against our most hated division rivals to the best regular season victory I've experiened in my life, knocking our most hated division rivals out of the playoffs in the process and gaining a postseason berth. All within the span of 6 days.

Last night made this rollercoaster ride of a season all worth for me. Everything after this is gravy! GO GO WHITE SOX!:)

GoGoCrede
10-01-2008, 08:43 AM
Definitely. Being swept in Minnesota was simply awful, and all the sudden Twins shirts I saw people wearing was tough to see.

Gomez can go right to hell, although you could make the case that he's already there. :tongue:

I'm definitely wearing my Thome shirt today, and my hat. Gonna go all out for my classes today. If only I'd done my homework. Oh, well.

beasly213
10-01-2008, 08:47 AM
Not sure if it was Sweeter this way. I mean I guess you can say it was because we beat the Twins and I hate them more than any time ever. But I would have prefered we took care of business when we had the chance to.

Regardless who cares how it happened the Sox are going to the playoffs!

Marqhead
10-01-2008, 08:48 AM
I said this last night in another thread. We went from the worst regular season defeat I've experienced in my life against our most hated division rivals to the best regular season victory I've experiened in my life, knocking our most hated division rivals out of the playoffs in the process and gaining a postseason berth. All within the span of 6 days.

Last night made this rollercoaster ride of a season all worth for me. Everything after this is gravy! GO GO WHITE SOX!:)
Exactly how I feel.

I will relish this Central Divison Championship no matter what happens in the playoffs.

9in'59
10-01-2008, 08:52 AM

"Please pass the gravy"

SouthPaw72
10-01-2008, 08:58 AM
I do think it was much more exciting this way. But my stomach was in knots for 2 days. I'm a bit worried about the Rays. Can't wait til tomorrow afternoon.

Everyone enjoy watching "THE DODGERS" game tonight..lol

BleacherBandit
10-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Everyone enjoy watching "THE DODGERS" game tonight..lol

God, Mike Golic thinks the Dodgers will win in 4....

ChiSoxFan81
10-01-2008, 09:52 AM
God, Mike Golic thinks the Dodgers will win in 4....

Neither of those boneheads has either Chicago team making it out of the ALDS.

I do think that the way we ended this thing was so vindicating. The way we scrapped and fought all year, and then to have it come down to 3 must win games against 3 teams, finishing it off with an unbelievable 1-0 win over the Twins is just something to savor. I'm hoping for a nice playoff run, but this division championship has to be the most rewarding one to me.

thomas35forever
10-01-2008, 09:52 AM
Absolutely. We showed that we really were the better team. The Dome is a joke of a ballpark and we also proved that without it to benefit them, the Twins are nothing more than a mediocre team at best. We led this division almost the entire year. There's no way we didn't deserve it. Less than a week ago, I talked about this season was turning out worse than '03. Well guess what? Nobody's going to talk about that sweep now. The Twins had their chance to put it away, and they didn't. We took advantage. If everything keeps clicking, we can do some real damage in the postseason. Everyone but Javy showed that they can go on short rest. That said, this was indeed sweeter and I can't wait for the playoffs to begin!

southside rocks
10-01-2008, 09:57 AM
In one of the on-field interviews last night, Mark Buehrle said that the Sox didn't like the Twinkies celebrating after the sweep in the Dome -- that pissed off quite a few of the Sox, and it showed last night in the way they just put it to Gardenhire's team.

I think revenge is always sweet, particularly when it's served with such flair. I am savoring this even more than if the Sox had wrapped up the division two weeks ago.

On all the XM shows that I heard this morning, the Twins players were saying how tough a loss it was, but not one that I heard gave props to the White Sox. And that's what makes Minnesota, IMO, such a hateable team. They have no class.

guillensdisciple
10-01-2008, 10:16 AM
This was the most gut- wrenching year I have ever experienced as a sox fan. Even in '05 when we went through our September swoon I wasn't that worried. The white sox had played well the entire year, no late run was going to stop them.

This team however, didn't have so many positives. I was unsure about the final week and when they lost to the Twins I had gone off the wall. I couldn't stand to watch it and had almost jumped off the bridge with the other half of sox- fandom. Fortunalely I kept it in perspective and kept watching. Even after losing the first two to the Indians I had a feeling everything would be alright. The Sox had been doing this all year, struggling and picking it up. They are the the ultimate hot and cold team.

Not anymore, now the White Sox have heat, now they have added relief. This team looks playoff ready and from the looks of the post game interviews they won't be going out with just this central division. The White Sox have flaws, but they have players who know how to win, proven players who show complete inconsistency from time to time but who can show greatness in the very end.

God Bless the 2008 Chicago White Sox, for showing us that even when the world is against you there will always be light in the end of the tunnel. Honestly the '05 Sox were inspirational to me, but this might have clinched it. What a battle, what a team, what a group of fighters!

What a coach, what a GM, what an owner (who actually believed we were out of it), what an organization! I am proud to have spent many a time screaming, throwing things, going insane, ripping my heart out, and pounding my fists on wall just to see this. The White Sox to me will always be the pride of Chicago, regardless of what those fools in blue do. The White Sox are fighters, will not give in, the organization is built that way.

Orlando Cabrera might have said many things but in the end they pulled through, the Sox pull through for each other.

Go White Sox!!!! Show Chicago what it means to play baseball!

hawkjt
10-01-2008, 10:18 AM
As they say, ''revenge is a dish best served cold'' and that is exactly the dish the Sox served up to the Twins.
yes, this is so sweet right now, it is hard to argue with it topping the way the Angels won.
Johnny BullDanks...giant testes.
In fact, outside of winning the Series...this may be impossible to top due to the sudden death nature of this game, and the absolute tightness of this game. 5000 at bats in a season and it comes down to one big swing by Big Jim. And AJ hanging onto that ball. Junior's accuracy on that throw.

Big Bad Bobby coming out of the pen like a road grader with a mission.
Ozzie motioning the outfielders..
BA getting a great jump on that quentessential Twin basehit and making the diving catch a la Gomez....irony everywhere.
These are moments that will be freeze framed forever in this Sox fan's head. Thank You, Sox..for this memorable game and season.

sunofgold
10-01-2008, 10:24 AM
I agree with what everybody else has said. I also think that this experience could help us in the postseason. We know that we can win in elimination games. We didn't panic in three elimination games.

Also, these last three elimination games have built up a lot of confidence for Buehrle, Floyd, and Danks.

In 2005, it turned out to help us when the Indians made a run. We had to win some meaningful games down the stretch. I think that these last three games could help us in the postseason in 2008.

chisoxmike
10-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Yeah, it really is.

You would not have been wrong to think the season was over after the Twins swept the Sox.

Payback. It's so sweet.

:bandance::bandance::bandance:

voodoochile
10-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Nothing great ever comes easy, but I'm not sure it's intended to be this hard.

I love the comment above about stomping 3 straight division rivals/favorites to clinch the division. Hard fought victory that's for sure.

I'm still kind of shell shocked at the way this all unfolded. All of these do or die games, none of them scheduled until the previous one concluded and then to win 1-0 (first time all year? First time since 2005?). Draining and exhilarating all at the same time.

What a performance by Buehrle, Floyd and Danks on short rest. This game is so mental. Their ability to say, "Not today, not on my start," back to back to back is something truly spectacular. As spectacular as the 4 complete games in 2005, IMO.

So there's nothing left to do...

I guess we'll have to win the whole thing...

KenBerry
10-01-2008, 10:36 AM
Its a then and now thing. Last week we were all depressed. I landed tix to Saturday's game and my wife read me the riot act. "If you are going to be depressed all night I don't want to go." I promised to enjoy the game. We all know what happened and I kind of went back on my promise. That was then and this is now. The team has weathered the storm. I posted the following on a bulletin board that is not devoted to baseball but is frequented by fans north and south in an MLB thread--

Beware. Beware of the undead. Beware of creatures of the night that cannot be eliminated. Take heed partisans of furry baby bears. You need not fear goats or other animals. Earthly creatures will not stop you. The path is still open. A red (line) will lead you to a confrontation with the undead. You cannot drive a stake into the hearts of these creatures. You cannot summon Van Helsing. Turn your heads. You will not want to watch. Best ye run to save your soul. Beware the undead.

This team, and its fans, should be very loose. Once you are flatlined its hard to get psyched out by anything. A better team might win. However, I do not expect the Sox to choke or feel any pressure. They will be a team to fear.

AZChiSoxFan
10-01-2008, 10:40 AM
I feel like this division title is so much sweeter this way. When the season started no one expoected the Sox to do anything this year. The White Sox had to persevere through injuries to Crede, Contreras, and IMO the AL MVP THE CQ.

The Sox had so many ups and downs it feels so much sweeter because this team battled so hard to earn this. It's ironic that the last three games of the year they beat the media's 3 AL Central darlings the Indians, Tigers, And Twins.

That's what makes it so much sweeter too. They punched one of their most hated division rivals in the mouth to get to the playoffs.

I truly believe that in life when you take the hard road it makes the outcome feel that much sweeter. I think it definitely applies in this case!!!

What do you think? Is this one of the sweetest division titles ever just because it was so hard-fought?

Totally agree. Last week, losing three in a row in that stupid dome was just complete agony. Then, not expecting the Twink to lose any to the Royals but having them lose on Fri and Sat, only to see the Sox not be able to take advantage of it, was even worse. But to see the Sox send three pitchers in a row to the bump, all on short rest and to get three great starts in a row, was totally awesome.

Law11
10-01-2008, 10:43 AM
Its easy to say now that we won it this was more fun but I would have much rather won a game or two in Minn and handled this vs Cleveland.

That being said its time to enjoy

D. TODD
10-01-2008, 10:49 AM
It is not sweeter to me. I was thrilled with the excitement of last nights game, but the disappointment of our sub par play to get to that point does not sweeten the end result for me. We made the elite eight tournament and that is all that counts, now we have to survive and advance without home field advantage and if we can take it all it will be SWEET but not sweeter due to our bi-polar performance down the stretch and all season long. Just enjoy the playoff run, hopefully it will be long and fruitful!!:supernana:

kitekrazy
10-01-2008, 10:53 AM
In one of the on-field interviews last night, Mark Buehrle said that the Sox didn't like the Twinkies celebrating after the sweep in the Dome -- that pissed off quite a few of the Sox, and it showed last night in the way they just put it to Gardenhire's team.

If that were true then the Sox would have crushed them.

chisoxfanatic
10-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Those cocky Twins were extremely classless last week, especially acting like they won the World Series Thursday night. You could tell that everyone was pissed off BIG TIME after that. It definitely is only fitting that this is how things unfolded. Our Sox battled and won when it mattered the most!

Pilgrim
10-01-2008, 11:02 AM
We have to be a bit careful when talking about classy acts in clinches. I've never really forgiven PK for 2000 in the Metrodome, one of the more class-less acts I've seen in "celebration". For those too young to remember:

Matt Lawton (twins) hit a two-out homer in the 10th to beat the Sox 6-5 on the last day of the season, a few minutes after the scoreboard showed Kansas City beat Cleveland, eliminating the second-place Indians from division contention and giving the Central to the White Sox. After celebrating in the clubhouse, Konerko took a beer and circled the bases, sliding into home.

I have no problem celebrating on the field or in the locker room in an act of spontaneous exhuberance, in fact its one of my favorite things to see on a ballfield. But coming out onto the visitors field in a pre-meditated act AFTER a loss, lost a lot of respect for PK after that.

southside rocks
10-01-2008, 11:42 AM
If that were true then the Sox would have crushed them.

I think they did. :D: Why bludgeon someone to death when you can just gut-shoot him and watch him bleed out -- metaphorically speaking, of course.