PDA

View Full Version : Should Blackout Night Become Our Big Game Tradition?

Thome25
10-01-2008, 07:56 AM
I think blackout night should DEFINITELY continue through the playoffs and become our tradition for big games. What do you think?

I think it adds something electric to the ballpark and gives it this mystique about it. It sure would be great to unify the fans at every big game and in the playoffs by keeping this tradition alive.

IMO I think it may add an intimidation factor to the opposing team just like seeing the 2002 Angels fans all wearing red and waving thunderstixx did.

So what do you think? SHould we make this a tradition? I sure do!!

ChicagoHoosier
10-01-2008, 08:08 AM
I like it for occasional big games, but not every big game. We shouldn't need gimmicks every time. Look what happened when Georgia did it.

But last night was SWEET!

Thome25
10-01-2008, 08:20 AM
Apparently, the players even enjoyed blackout night. Dye wants it to continue.......Let it continue Sox fans!!

Also, was Dye the only player who said something about it?

It's almost like the fans are wearing black because they're coming to the opposing team's funeral.

kobo
10-01-2008, 08:23 AM
Thome said something about it too. The Score played a clip of an interview with him last night and he mentioned how cool it was to see all the fans wearing black shirts and jackets and waving black towels.

That was the best atmosphere at the park that I have witnessed. I don't know how it compares to the WS games, but I thought the crowd was better than game 2 of the 05 ALCS.

esbrechtel
10-01-2008, 08:28 AM
I think it should only be done during BIG games (Elimination games or playoff games) but it was pretty awesome, There is a great article in the trib about it today I think it was Morrissey, calling us an "Unruly assembly of witches." I love being called unruly. :D:

rdwj
10-01-2008, 08:30 AM
On TV - it looked really cool. I'd like to see it continue

palehozenychicty
10-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Without a doubt, it should become a tradition for the postseason and premier games. People are already freaked out by us winning and Ozzie cursing, so why stop now? :tongue:

Thome25
10-01-2008, 08:34 AM
I'd like to see it become a playoff and elimination game tradition just like the fireworks after home runs and singing "NA NA NA NA Hey Hey Hey Goodbye." is a White Sox tradition.

mccoydp
10-01-2008, 08:36 AM
It looked cool as **** on TV. Nothing like a sea of black in the crowd!

I want Mags back
10-01-2008, 08:43 AM
all the black made it look like empty seats. White would look really cool, but would effect vision of the ball for the players, so not a good idea

skobabe8
10-01-2008, 08:43 AM
It looked GREAT on TV. Those black towels were sweet, too. I dont know if Ive ever seen black towels at a sporting event.

rdwj
10-01-2008, 08:51 AM
all the black made it look like empty seats. White would look really cool, but would effect vision of the ball for the players, so not a good idea

You need to invest in HD. The LAST thing the park seemed like last night is empty.

Rocky Soprano
10-01-2008, 08:54 AM
I would love to see the "Blackout" continue.
Show some Batman footage and call it the Dark Night! :tongue:

SouthPaw72
10-01-2008, 08:55 AM
I have to say when I heard they were wearing all black I thought it would be stupid. BUT IT LOOKED SO COOL. The park didnt look empty. And you want them to do it wearing white??? That would definately blind the pitchers.

It was great to see the Sox fans with that much electricity!!!

sox1970
10-01-2008, 08:57 AM
It was really cool, but I hope they hold off for a while. It was too special last night to do it again right away.

wsoxfan
10-01-2008, 08:58 AM
They should continue it for the playoffs. It shows unity, reminds me kind of how all the Bulls only wear black shoes and socks during the playoffs...

gosox83
10-01-2008, 08:58 AM
Thome said something about it too. The Score played a clip of an interview with him last night and he mentioned how cool it was to see all the fans wearing black shirts and jackets and waving black towels.

That was the best atmosphere at the park that I have witnessed. I don't know how it compares to the WS games, but I thought the crowd was better than game 2 of the 05 ALCS.

I was at the ALCS game and you are exactly right. LAST NIGHT THE CROWD WOULD NOT SHUT UP AND THEY WOULD NOT SIT DOWN!!!!!!

AND NOW THE TWINS CAN TAKE THAT CELEBRATION LAST THURSDAY NIGHT AND STICK IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO SOX!!!

nasox
10-01-2008, 09:33 AM
I would love to see the "Blackout" continue.
Show some Batman footage and call it the Dark Night! :tongue:

Well, "Soxman" was there.

thomas35forever
10-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Whoops, I misread the poll and thought it said all night games. Then again, maybe it's best not to overdo it.

jabrch
10-01-2008, 09:45 AM
I'd like to hear an honest answer from a player - was it at all distracting?

If they don't mind it - then I'd do it for special occasions.

roylestillman
10-01-2008, 09:46 AM
Blackout OK. Ditch the towels. Cuts down on noise too much by taking the applause out of the game.

ChiSoxFan81
10-01-2008, 09:47 AM
I think it should continue thru this year's playoffs. The players liked it, and it looked so amazing. I had to run from 31st and State to get to the game. We arrive mid 1st inning, walk out to the field, and the view was unbelievable!! One of the coolest things I've ever seen.

BleacherBandit
10-01-2008, 09:47 AM
Don't do it during the regular season. Save it for the postseason and tiebreakers, if one of those ever happens again.

areilly
10-01-2008, 09:51 AM
I think it should only be done during BIG games (Elimination games or playoff games) but it was pretty awesome, There is a great article in the trib about it today I think it was Morrissey, calling us an "Unruly assembly of witches." I love being called unruly. :D:

That's awesome, and I believe I just found myself a new signature.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-01-morrissey-white-sox-twinsoct01,0,6827635.column

BainesHOF
10-01-2008, 09:54 AM
You can forget about black towels during the next playoff game. Brooks said U.S. Cellular is handing out white towels for that game.

Of course, that doesn't mean everyone can't wear black again. In fact, the contrast might look cool.

I still can't believe how cool the black looked last night. I came to the game on the L. It was funny. At every stop, more and more people entered wearing black. I felt like I was in a growing gang.

What I especially liked about the black call-to-arms is that it was unique. Maybe we should make it a tradition. Instead of wearing black for every playoff game, perhaps we should save it for either every game we face elimination or every final game of a playoff series.

hawkjt
10-01-2008, 10:05 AM
I like it for playoff games...which are rare enough to keep it special.
Psychologically, I think the mere act of every fan dressing the same makes for an even more espirit de corp. It looked like a black mob out there ....I agree that Morrisey really coined the best description...
''unruly assembly of witches'' ...hey it is october and halloween beckons,right?

The white towel contrast would look surreal. Do it,Brooks.

btrain929
10-01-2008, 10:12 AM
You can forget about black towels during the next playoff game. Brooks said U.S. Cellular is handing out white towels for that game.

Of course, that doesn't mean everyone can't wear black again. In fact, the contrast might look cool.

I still can't believe how cool the black looked last night. I came to the game on the L. It was funny. At every stop, more and more people entered wearing black. I felt like I was in a growing gang.

What I especially liked about the black call-to-arms is that it was unique. Maybe we should make it a tradition. Instead of wearing black for every playoff game, perhaps we should save it for either every game we face elimination or every final game of a playoff series.

I wonder if, now that they have a little more time to prepare, if the towels we get next would have a white sox emblem on them, or just plain towels like yesterday.

esbrechtel
10-01-2008, 10:15 AM
I wonder if, now that they have a little more time to prepare, if the towels we get next would have a white sox emblem on them, or just plain towels like yesterday.

In 2005 they gave out white towels for the first playoff home game and they had white sox logos on them so I bet they will...

Thome_Fan
10-01-2008, 11:16 AM
I like it for playoff games...which are rare enough to keep it special.
Psychologically, I think the mere act of every fan dressing the same makes for an even more espirit de corp. It looked like a black mob out there ....I agree that Morrisey really coined the best description...
''unruly assembly of witches'' ...hey it is october and halloween beckons,right?

The white towel contrast would look surreal. Do it,Brooks.

Esprit du corps. Sorry, I take French, it was kinda bugging me :tongue::redface:.

TomBradley72
10-01-2008, 11:23 AM
BEST White Sox crowd I have ever had the honor to be a part of. Even rowdier and more intense than the crowds at Old Comiskey. A complete sense of pride and unity. And for a sell out...a very well behaved crowd..universally in good spirits.

Post season/elimination games only...need to keep it special. Now we need to come up with out own version of the "haka" (from the New Zealand All Blacks rugby team).

Nellie_Fox
10-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Now we need to come up with out own version of the "haka" (from the New Zealand All Blacks rugby team).The "haka" significantly pre-dates the existence of rugby (or Europeans, for that matter) in New Zealand.

BoysMom3
10-01-2008, 11:36 AM
It looked so cool on t.v.!!! I wish I could have been there - I could feel the electricity of the park even at home. I'm so jealous of everyone who got to go! Unruly mob of witches! I love it! Especially with it being October and Halloween time!

DSpivack
10-01-2008, 12:08 PM
I love the idea, but agree with others who say keep it for elimination games and night playoff games. Not sure how it would look during the day.

chisoxfanatic
10-01-2008, 12:12 PM
It's almost like the fans are wearing black because they're coming to the opposing team's funeral.
Funny thing you mention that, I saw someone in Section 105 with a sign that said "We gather today to mourn the loss of the Piranhas!"

downstairs
10-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Not to be a party pooper, but I really didn't like it.

1. Its been done before. Heck, just Saturday in College Football.

2. You can't see the excitement in the stands. I was watching with no audio in a bar, couldn't see the excitement.

But whatever... everyone can show up wearing neon green if the Sox win.

ramblermgr9599
10-01-2008, 12:48 PM
i know the sox were on a roll and wanted to wear their white jerseys, but you would think a true "blackout" would mean the players wearing the black jerseys.

esbrechtel
10-01-2008, 02:40 PM
i know the sox were on a roll and wanted to wear their white jerseys, but you would think a true "blackout" would mean the players wearing the black jerseys.

I love the way the black jerseys look with the home white pants but after last weekend no black jerseys ever against the twins :o:

Revolutn
10-01-2008, 04:02 PM
I've yet to have a chance to REALLY see it on T.V. minus the few highlight reels.

Having physically been there....I didn't really actually like it all that much.

I mean I liked the SOLIDARITY of it.
But it was just kinda....blah.
I knew the place was filled to the rafters....but everything blended together.
The people blended into the dark green seats.
Which blended into the dark grey and black accents anyway.
The black towels hardly even looked like anything form a distance from what I could tell.

But...what do I know...I had my Home White/pinstripe WS05 jersey in the car but chose to leave it behind and participate in the black-out, and I'm glad I did, I'm just not sure I want this to become any kind of recurring theme to be honest.

haganaga
10-01-2008, 04:56 PM
What about black shirts with white t's underneath? When the Sox are in the field, all black. When we're batting, take the black T off and the crowd turns white making life hell for the opposing team.

That would play out pretty funny actually and would definitely get some national attention. :D:

slavko
10-01-2008, 05:21 PM
What about black shirts with white t's underneath? When the Sox are in the field, all black. When we're batting, take the black T off and the crowd turns white making life hell for the opposing team.

Not to mention anyone in the lower deck trying to follow the ball during the game.

manders_01
10-01-2008, 06:38 PM
I think it should continue thru this year's playoffs. The players liked it, and it looked so amazing. I had to run from 31st and State to get to the game. We arrive mid 1st inning, walk out to the field, and the view was unbelievable!! One of the coolest things I've ever seen.

I agree. I think it's a special thing someone in PR stumbled upon but it's IMO, it's now forever attached with last night's game and our 2008 playoff run.

TomBradley72
10-01-2008, 07:45 PM
The "haka" significantly pre-dates the existence of rugby (or Europeans, for that matter) in New Zealand.

I know. What's your point?

cub killer
10-01-2008, 07:48 PM

That would play out pretty funny actually and would definitely get some national attention. :D:

Great idea! If any fan base can adhere to that, it's our fan base. We'll truly be the 10th man.

Every nighttime playoff game should be a Blackout. Always. Awesome idea.

We are the Unruly Assembly of Witches. Too perfect. We're gonna do it again in 2008. October is SOXtober.

jamiebd
10-01-2008, 09:05 PM

I like this idea. I was at last nights game and that was one special night that will never be duplicated - A Play-In Game, the 3 wins in a row to stay alive, a true Sox Fan crowd-no sponsers, No MLB suits, etc - just real fans. Uribes Snag in the First, starting the Double Play & save extra bases, Griff to AJ, Thom's Blast, & BA's Dive. I can't imagine anything topping off the excitment of last nights game. That was the loudest thing that I've ever heard.My voice is still gone.

Can't wait till 1:00 tomorrow and welcoming them back to the Cell Monday and seeing them wrap up the ALDS at home.

Oldfellah
10-01-2008, 09:18 PM
I would like to see Black and White by Section next.. Can you get that done!!:redneck

Nellie_Fox
10-01-2008, 11:49 PM
I know. What's your point?Your post was worded in a way that made it sound like the haka was invented for New Zealand rugby.

IlliniSox4Life
10-02-2008, 01:50 AM
I loved the blackout. It was by far the most unique baseball crowd experience I've been to.

I didn't think the crowd was louder or more intense than game 2 of the ALCS like somebody said (it was the only 05 playoff game I went to). However, I was in the very last row of 555 last night, so it was a little bit more difficult to get a feel for the crowd than when I was around the infield towards the from in 2005.

MrRoboto83
10-02-2008, 01:58 AM
I think it was a lame promotion, White Towels actually work as a distraction, the black towels do not.

pudge
10-02-2008, 02:34 AM
Having physically been there....I didn't really actually like it all that much.

On TV, it took me a while to get used to - since I don't get TBS in hi-def, it really did look like the seats were empty, which kind of gave it a weird feeling. But as the game went on, it started to grow on me. There was something very Batman about the whole thing. The unruly mob of witches is a great line. In the end, I thought it was a great idea and had a fantastic impact on TV.

Marqhead
10-02-2008, 06:44 AM
I thought it looked cool, then again I don't really care as long as its loud as all hell.

34 Inch Stick
10-02-2008, 10:46 AM
I only want it on 100 degree afternoon games in July

Thome25
10-02-2008, 11:05 AM

Could you imagine the smell if taht were to happen? With everyone sweating their asses off it would smell like someone pissed on a pile of burning hair.

Thome25
10-02-2008, 11:07 AM

The umps would make us stop doing that.......or forfeit the game.

BadBobbyJenks
10-02-2008, 11:20 AM
I would have paid 100 dollars for a standing room ticket to be in that atmosphere again. It was truly the best game I have ever been to as I was not lucky enough to have attended the World Series.

I was thinking only elimination games, but I would be cool with that as our playoff tradition for every game.

bigsoxfan420
10-02-2008, 11:24 AM
I thinking I will wear black to every game I go to from now on. I know if I there is a game four I will be wearing all black!

comiskey2000
10-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Make the black-out a tradition like the Bulls did with their shoes in the 90's. They wore white shoes during the year but once the playoffs started, all black. It was pretty cool. The Sox should make it a playoff tradition.

hawkjt
10-02-2008, 11:57 AM
The umps would make us stop doing that.......or forfeit the game.

Kruk actually suggested that Mike Cameron lost that drive to center yesterday in all the waving white towels.

Sounds like an unfair advantage so maybe the Sox should go with white towels this weekend:D:

stl_sox_fan
10-02-2008, 12:45 PM
On TV, it took me a while to get used to - since I don't get TBS in hi-def, it really did look like the seats were empty, which kind of gave it a weird feeling. But as the game went on, it started to grow on me. There was something very Batman about the whole thing. The unruly mob of witches is a great line. In the end, I thought it was a great idea and had a fantastic impact on TV.

That was my first take. I was thinking "oops, this is going to backfire" but from what I saw on TV the crowd was crazy into it.

ode to veeck
10-02-2008, 12:46 PM

LOL,

:tealpolice: