PDA

View Full Version : It is times like these that I REALLY wished that I lived in Chicago

Whitesoxfan23
10-01-2008, 02:54 AM
I live in Oklahoma. Been to see the Sox play in Chicago twice, and saw 2 games in KC. Can the people that live in Chicago, or people at the game tell me what the atmosphere was like tonight in Chicago, and at The Cell? I don't get much coverage being in Oklahoma. Thanks in advance.

SteveFakeBlood
10-01-2008, 03:01 AM
Part of the reason I'm going to grad school in Florida was to get the **** out of the Chicago area- I just got sick of being around there for almost my whole life and people's negative attitudes, etc. Still, I can definitely identify with this thread, because it is times like this where I miss it most. The kindhearted thing to say would be that I miss my friends and family, and I do a bit, but in truth what I miss most is my cat (she lives with my parents) and the atmosphere that surrounds the Sox success (i.e. being around fellow Sox fans, the Cell, Sox media coverage, et al.). I might miss it enough to move back after I'm done...

~Steve

Jerome
10-01-2008, 03:03 AM
yeah its nice just to be able to take the red line (fullerton stop for me) to and from the park, not have to deal with the ha$$le of parking

the scattered crowd on Monday went nuts when Alexei hit the grand slam - it was a great moment

and tonight was crazy - probably the most exciting game I've ever seen coupled with an atmosphere that I doubt I'll ever see again - the all black in the crowd and the black towels, plus everyone was on their feet basically any time a Twins hitter had 2 strikes. A baseball game is sooo more fun when the crowd seems to be living and dying with every batter like they did the last two days.

sullythered
10-01-2008, 03:13 AM
It was one of the single greatest live sports experiences of my life. Not to rub it in.

ramorgan1
10-01-2008, 06:21 AM
I just moved to Houston last December. Gave up my Sox season tickets... so sad now. but happy for them Sox!

Jjav829
10-01-2008, 08:28 AM
I live in Oklahoma. Been to see the Sox play in Chicago twice, and saw 2 games in KC. Can the people that live in Chicago, or people at the game tell me what the atmosphere was like tonight in Chicago, and at The Cell? I don't get much coverage being in Oklahoma. Thanks in advance.

It was insane. Unfortunately, I didn't get to any of the 05 playoff games. This was the best game I've ever been to. The entire crowd was so into the game. In section 107, I think we stood for half of the game. And all the black and the rally towels really made for a great scene.

After the game everyone was high-fiving each other. One of the great things about Sox games IMO is going down the ramps after a win. We started off with the usual "Let's go White Sox" chant and by the time we got down to the final 2 ramps, it was a "John-ny Danks!" chant. Usually those chants are a handful of people leading it, but this time it seemed like nearly every person was in on the chant.

Just a great experience. Words can't really do it justice.

tulsasoxfan
10-01-2008, 08:34 AM

I'm originally from Chicago and now in Oklahoma too. Chicago is the greatest sports town there is and I'm sure the Cell was outstanding. I grew up going to old Comiskey Park and the Sox will always be part of me.

mrwag
10-01-2008, 08:40 AM
I hear you load and clear. I grew up in the Rockford area, took a job in Tennessee in late '04, after the baseball season. We all know what happened in '05 and I couldn't be up there for that.

In '06 we moved back, and then last year we moved once again to TN. So here we are in '08 in the post-season again. I take personal credit for the Sox success when I leave town :D:

kittle42
10-01-2008, 08:57 AM
I'll be in New Orleans for games 1-3 of the ALDS. Man, part of me wishes I was staying home!

soxfanatlanta
10-01-2008, 09:01 AM
I do miss it terribly. I'm calling my Tampa friends to see if they can pull a ticket from out of a hat: I'm only 7 hours away from Tampa!

guillensdisciple
10-01-2008, 11:27 AM
So good to see so many sox fans out of Chicago.

WHITE SOX PRIDE!

kkappelk
10-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Game 2 of the 2005 World Series was better, but not much. Can't beat a walk off HR in the WS. I was at both (last night and 2005).

chisoxmike
10-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Just a great experience. Words can't really do it justice.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

I couldn't believe I was there. When that ball was hit out to Anderson there was that moment you go silent and grab on to everybody next to you. When I saw him dive and got the ball, all hell broke loose in 162 and around the stadium.

I never had been to a clincher before, it was a amazing night.

southside rocks
10-01-2008, 12:31 PM

I live on the south side of Chicago. Everybody in my neighborhood that I saw this morning was in a GOOD mood! I walked my dogs before I went to work today and all my neighbors were saying "Hey, did you see the game, did you go, wasn't that awesome?!"

Downtown, the buildings that had Cubs flags out for the playoffs, like the CBOT and the CBOE, scrambled and found Sox flags and hung them out too. The CBOT has a huge Cubs flag in the south lobby and a much smaller Sox flag, they better fix that ASAP! :tongue:

I've seen a bunch of people in Sox garb downtown today, not nearly as many as yesterday when it was 'blackout for Sox Pride' day, but a few.

Mostly the Sox fans -- and there are a lot of them where I work -- are happy that they can stop having to listen to the crap about the Cubs and start talking about the White Sox post-season.

There's your report from the south side of Chicago!

ChiSoxFan81
10-01-2008, 12:33 PM
I couldn't believe I was there. When that ball was hit out to Anderson there was that moment you go silent and grab on to everybody next to you. When I saw him dive and got the ball, all hell broke loose in 162 and around the stadium.

It was amazing. To be at a clincher, the first one at home since '93 was surreal. Hours after the game my wife was still saying she couldn't believe we were actually there, like it was a dream or something. And we were at game 2 of the '05 ALDS.

BoysMom3
10-01-2008, 12:41 PM
I loved reading everyone's replies. I'm so jealous!!! I have chills and tears from your descriptions though!

DSpivack
10-01-2008, 12:47 PM
I'm going to a wedding this weekend in Texas. My flight is literally during Game 1, rehearsal dinner during Game 2, and I'm flying back sunday at 6, so that could be during Game 3. :whiner:

chisoxfanatic
10-01-2008, 01:06 PM

I couldn't believe I was there as well. Huge move by Ozzie in putting BA in the late innings. I initially thought that was dropping in front of him, and then breathed a huge sigh of relief. Section 104 was up for grabs. TONS of beer was thrown around. I had to wait for a while to take pictures, because I did not want my camera getting too wet.

Tragg
10-01-2008, 01:07 PM
All summer long, I wish I lived in Chicago. I have summers off or work part time, so I could enjoy it.

My brother lives near Seattle and I've spent 6 week blocks up there; go to 8/10 games in a homestand. It's a blast and I don't care a whip about the Mariners.

Ex-Chicagoan
10-01-2008, 04:38 PM
As fate would have it I will be in town the next two weekends, likely without tickets.

It's been a weird summer watching this from here (and watching legions of bandwagon fans scraping the olde-English "D" decals from the backs of their pickup trucks).

That said - not having Chicago sports talk radio makes it much more enjoyable!

Anyway - thought a lot about '93 (was there) and '83 (was there the night before). Would have loved to have been there Tuesday night!

SteveFakeBlood
10-02-2008, 01:04 AM
I do miss it terribly. I'm calling my Tampa friends to see if they can pull a ticket from out of a hat: I'm only 7 hours away from Tampa!

I'm in Tallahassee (I've been told by various sources that it's anywhere from 4-7 hours to Tampa- 7 hour bus ride on Greyhound apparently) and I was flirting with the idea of getting tickets to Game 2 as I've got three day weekends this semester. Trouble is, I'd have to take Greyhound (and rely on their prices and schedule) as I don't have a car and I haven't met anyone yet who's a Sox fan or a big enough Rays fan to drive that far for one day- plus the strain of bus tickets plus game tickets plus food and beer to keep me occupied plus having to most likely sell one of my tickets outside the game- plus 14 hours on a bus to see one game.

That said, a part of me really wants to do it. If they win Game 2 I may still kick myself for not going. As opposed to a 14 hour round trip on a bus to see a loss. It'd probably take a couple years for me to realize that it was still worth it. Oh well- hopefully, I'll have more chances in the future.

But here's the practical point of this post:
http://www.stubhub.com/tampa-bay-rays-playoff-tickets/rays-vs-white-sox-10-3-2008-587814

No way IN HELL are you getting $76 tickets for a playoff game at the Cell. I think most people in Florida still aren't aware they have professional baseball here, they're too focused fawning over even the ****tiest college football teams to notice. I'd encourage all Sox fans in Florida who are slightly crazier than me to buy up those tickets ASAP.

~Steve

chisox616
10-02-2008, 02:37 PM
I am surrounded by Cards fans--literally. My family's probably the only one in town that are fans of the Sox. Even here at Mizzou I've seen just as many Twins hats/shirts as Sox ones. Could be worse, though. I'd go as far to say the Cardinals are my NL team. Missing the playoffs in 2005 and now 2008 kind of sucks but...I've been dealing with it for a while.

"Oh, you're from Chicago? At least you're not a Cubs fan."--one of the most common phrases I hear, haha.

ChiSoxGirl
10-02-2008, 09:47 PM

You said it perfectly. I am fortunate enough to say that I was at one game in each round of the playoffs in 2005, and Tuesday night's tie-breaker ranks right up there with those three playoff games as the best ones I've ever been to. The only thing I hadn't seen the Sox do prior to Tuesday was clinch, and it was so much more than I thought it could be. "Blackout Night" was absolutely incredible and something that I'll remember forever.

manders_01
10-02-2008, 10:34 PM
It was one of the single greatest live sports experiences of my life. Not to rub it in.

Having been to a play-in game before, and it being the single greatest live sporting event in my life, I believe it. :D:

OP, I'm with ya. This does make me miss "home" a lot too. I moved here at the beginning of October of '05 (what the **** was I thinking :o:) so I missed all of the fun of that season too. I ate up the Rockies run last year cause A) they are my NL team and B) I was living '05 vicariously through them (too bad it didn't turn out the same :(:).

Bucky F. Dent
10-02-2008, 10:56 PM

True enough - I wish I were back home to see these games.