PDA

View Full Version : Oh hey Nick Swisher?

HawkDJ
10-01-2008, 12:11 AM
Nearly forgot the guy was on the team? I've noticed he's not the first one to greet players after homeruns like he used to. Any chance he gets some PT in the playoffs or do we stick with Wise or switch to BA?

Pear-Zin-Ski
10-01-2008, 12:18 AM
If he was ****ing smart he'd keep his damn head up even when he is not playing...if I enjoy seeing Swish goofing around and keeping this team loose I can only imagine what the guys in the dugout feel....

We need you at all times Swish....

doublem23
10-01-2008, 12:19 AM
You got to go with your horses, I think this is pretty much the way the play-offs are going to shake down, barring injury:

Cabrera, SS
Wise, LF
Thome, DH
Dye, RF
Konerko, 1B
Griffey, CF
Ramirez, 2B
Pierzynski, C
Uribe, 3B

Anderson late-inning defensive replacement in CF, Swisher late inning defensive replacement at 1B. Especially with all that added off days the play-offs bring, it's unlikely we'll need to spell anyone. Sorry dude, I love your attitude Nick, but there are 6 guys for 5 positions and you're #6.

Optipessimism
10-01-2008, 12:20 AM
I'd like Griffey in LF with Anderson in CF but it doesn't seem like the Sox are ever going to put Griff in a corner. Personally I couldn't care less right now. Swisher's K's and potential power or Wise's outs and potential speed? It doesn't matter to me if Brian is out of the picture.

DSpivack
10-01-2008, 12:21 AM
I'd like Griffey in LF with Anderson in CF but it doesn't seem like the Sox are ever going to put Griff in a corner. Personally I couldn't care less right now. Swisher's K's and potential power or Wise's outs and potential speed? It doesn't matter to me if Brian is out of the picture.

Griffey has played RF before but not LF, Dye hasn't played LF, I don't see how you can put either of them in an unfamiliar position in the playoffs.

oeo
10-01-2008, 12:28 AM
Nearly forgot the guy was on the team? I've noticed he's not the first one to greet players after homeruns like he used to. Any chance he gets some PT in the playoffs or do we stick with Wise or switch to BA?

Thome nearly knocked him down the stairs after his homerun tonight.

For the last time, Swisher is frustrated...that's it.

Optipessimism
10-01-2008, 12:30 AM
Griffey has played RF before but not LF, Dye hasn't played LF, I don't see how you can put either of them in an unfamiliar position in the playoffs.
Point taken.

Counterpoint: I don't know how you can play Griffey in CF in The Trop, especially against an aggressive lineup that is willing to take the extra base. That's a lot of ground to cover, and on an artificial surface I'd imagine the OF will play faster than normal, meaning a gapper on Brian is probably a triple on Grif.

Dimensions:
LF 315
LCF 370-410
CF 404
RCF 370-404
RF 322

WhiteSox5187
10-01-2008, 12:44 AM

He was having fun out there tonight, I'm sure the last week took a toll on him, but now that we're there, I think he'll loosen up and have a lot of fun. I like him personally, not too fond of his stats but I'd love for him to step it up big.

champagne030
10-01-2008, 12:51 AM
You got to go with your horses, I think this is pretty much the way the play-offs are going to shake down, barring injury:

Cabrera, SS
Wise, LF
Thome, DH
Dye, RF
Konerko, 1B
Griffey, CF
Ramirez, 2B
Pierzynski, C
Uribe, 3B

Anderson late-inning defensive replacement in CF, Swisher late inning defensive replacement at 1B. Especially with all that added off days the play-offs bring, it's unlikely we'll need to spell anyone. Sorry dude, I love your attitude Nick, but there are 6 guys for 5 positions and you're #6.

Wise ****ing sucks. Kenny should tell Ozzie he's a late inning pinch runner and if he plans on using him more then KW should leave him off the playoff roster.

hawkjt
10-01-2008, 12:54 AM
Yea, I think he will be fine now. He is in the playoffs, he is locked up for 4 more years at good money and he will still be able to play various positions for years and be very useful. I think he will get the occasional chances to get hot again.

BA will probably start in center against Kazmir.

chisoxfanatic
10-01-2008, 12:55 AM

The way Swisher tagged the bag with his foot to record the second out in the ninth truly displayed his frustration. That tag was loaded with swagger.

I'm glad he came out to talk to us after the game.

oeo
10-01-2008, 01:31 AM
The way Swisher tagged the bag with his foot to record the second out in the ninth truly displayed his frustration. That tag was loaded with swagger.

I'm glad he came out to talk to us after the game.

Since you mentioned it, what did they have to say? Thanks to TBS, Comcast couldn't have an audio of the celebrations (at least that's what I'm guessing).

chisoxfanatic
10-01-2008, 01:33 AM
Since you mentioned it, what did they have to say? Thanks to TBS, Comcast couldn't have an audio of the celebrations (at least that's what I'm guessing).
He thanked us all for our support and can't wait to see us out there again on Sunday!

hi im skot
10-01-2008, 01:34 AM
I've seen Swisher greeting players in the dugout over the last week or so.

He's frustrated, and he should be. However, Wise doesn't deserve to start in Tampa. Swisher has pissed me off many times this season, but he needs to be in the line-up to get out of his funk.

I'm hoping the champagne showers did wonders for his psyche.

GregO23
10-01-2008, 02:07 AM
We need Anderson in LF or CF with Swish and Griffey platooning

EuroSox35
10-01-2008, 02:24 AM
They interviewed him after the game and he said coming here was the best thing that's ever happened to him. If he's bummed, I'm guessing it's more at himself for forgetting how to hit

kraut83
10-01-2008, 05:47 AM
Wise ****ing sucks. Kenny should tell Ozzie he's a late inning pinch runner and if he plans on using him more then KW should leave him off the playoff roster.

I agree. Wise isn't hitting, and brings very little to the table right now. Why he's been hitting 2nd while in the lineup is beyond me.

I would rather see swisher out there.

Jjav829
10-01-2008, 07:21 AM
I don't know what he did after Thome's home run, but Swish was an absolute madman during the celebration. He couldn't have looked happier.

cws05champ
10-01-2008, 07:22 AM
I agree. Wise isn't hitting, and brings very little to the table right now. Why he's been hitting 2nd while in the lineup is beyond me.

I would rather see swisher out there.
Completely agree...Wise had his hot streak, and now it's over. He has been exposed by ML pitchers. Swisher at least can get on base at a decent clip and make the pitcher work. Wise's upper cut swing is driving me nuts....you are a singles and gap hitter, act like it. He trying to hit too many HR's.

DumpJerry
10-01-2008, 07:34 AM
They interviewed him after the game and he said coming here was the best thing that's ever happened to him. If he's bummed, I'm guessing it's more at himself for forgetting how to hit
When is the A's next baseball game? April 6, 2009 in Anaheim.

When is the Sox next baseball game?

Why would anyone think he is not happier here than there?

Marqhead
10-01-2008, 07:34 AM
OC SS
Pierzynski C
Dye RF
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
Griff CF
TCM 2B
Swisher LF
Uribe 3B

Thats my lineup, I hope its the one Ozzie uses.

esbrechtel
10-01-2008, 07:37 AM
I have two gripes with Wise....1 he does not bunt at all (he attempted the squeeze and blew it) 2 his defense is terrible I have seen him Manny Ramirez a few in the outfield lately (play it off the short hop)

Make that 3- the fake bunt is killing me....especially when he takes his next cut like he is trying to hit it on the dan ryan....

Eddo144
10-01-2008, 07:59 AM
I have two gripes with Wise....1 he does not bunt at all (he attempted the squeeze and blew it) 2 his defense is terrible I have seen him Manny Ramirez a few in the outfield lately (play it off the short hop)

Make that 3- the fake bunt is killing me....especially when he takes his next cut like he is trying to hit it on the dan ryan....
Yeah, Ozzie is keeping him in the lineup because he's fast and grindy, yet is blind to the fact that Wise is a terrible bunter and a butcher in the field.

I didn't talk to a single fan at the game last night who actually liked seeing Wise out there for an important game. Most felt along the lines of "yeah, he helped us win a game or two over the last couple months, but he sucks right now and is awful in the field."

beasly213
10-01-2008, 08:44 AM
Agreed on all these points but I don't see Ozzie messing with the lineup for the playoffs.

A 5 game series is not the time to see if a guy can work out of a slump. Granted Wise isn't playing great right now and I'm not a huge fan of him but I really don't see Ozzie making a switch now.

palehozenychicty
10-01-2008, 09:02 AM
I've seen Swisher greeting players in the dugout over the last week or so.

He's frustrated, and he should be. However, Wise doesn't deserve to start in Tampa. Swisher has pissed me off many times this season, but he needs to be in the line-up to get out of his funk.

I'm hoping the champagne showers did wonders for his psyche.

Thank you. Wise should be a pinch-runner, and that's it. He is a career minor leaguer for a reason.

jabrch
10-01-2008, 09:32 AM
At the beginning of the season, if you'd have told me we'd have made the playoffs with Dwayne Wise in LF replacing an MVP calibre CQ, replacing an injured Jerry Owens, I'd have laughed - loudly.

That's why we play the games.

btrain929
10-01-2008, 10:17 AM
Completely agree...Wise had his hot streak, and now it's over. He has been exposed by ML pitchers. Swisher at least can get on base at a decent clip and make the pitcher work. Wise's upper cut swing is driving me nuts....you are a singles and gap hitter, act like it. He trying to hit too many HR's.

+1.

Put Swisher back in and let him proof KW correct that he can be an asset to our team and help us in the playoffs. Wise hasn't looked good at the plate OR the field lately.