PDA

View Full Version : WSI Predicts: Cubs-Dodgers NLDS series

doublem23
10-01-2008, 12:16 AM
Game 1: Wed., at Chicago (Lowe v. Dempster)
Game 2: Thur., at Chicago (Billingsley v. Zambrano)
Game 3: Sat., at Los Angeles (Harden v. Kuroda)
Game 4: Sun., at Los Angeles (TBA v. Lilly)
Game 5: Tues., at Chicago (TBA v. TBA)

thomas35forever
10-01-2008, 12:17 AM
Cubs in four.

PKalltheway
10-01-2008, 12:17 AM
It'll be a tight series, but I think the Cubs will prevail in 5.

WhiteSox5187
10-01-2008, 12:18 AM
It'll be a tight series, but I think the Cubs will prevail in 5.
I think so too, but if the Dodgers can win one game at Wrigley, the Cubs might be in some trouble.

Rockabilly
10-01-2008, 12:19 AM
Cubs in 4 games

doublem23
10-01-2008, 12:20 AM
I think so too, but if the Dodgers can win one game at Wrigley, the Cubs might be in some trouble.

Me, too. If LA can win 1 at Wrigley and put it away in LA, they'll win it. If it goes to Game 5, the Cubs will win at the Shrine.

SoxSpeed22
10-01-2008, 12:21 AM
A lot of it depends on which Zambrano shows up in game 2. I think Lilly can win game 4 in LA.
The Dodgers had a great September, but a lot of that was beating up their own division, which was one of the weakest divisions in baseball. They also swept the Pirates, which a lot of teams did this year. Even though I voted 3-2, Cubs, I'll say 3-1 Cubs.

Jerome
10-01-2008, 01:11 AM
this should be epic

i don't know much about the dodgers but I'm excited to watch them ever since getting Manny

Cubs in 5

drewcifer
10-01-2008, 01:17 AM
Dodgers in 4. Their pitching is not the reason for their record being what it is. Also, this team would've finished way better if it were this same team in April instead of since 8/1.

I think they'll embarass the Cubs - And Piniella can't outmanage Torre. Oh, and I hate the Cubs so that too..

chisoxmike
10-01-2008, 01:46 AM
Cubs in 4.

DSpivack
10-01-2008, 01:48 AM
Cubs in 4. While Manny is red hot, the rest of the lineup proves too weak and the pitching not up to snuff for Los Angeles. The result sets up an I-94 NLCS, won by Milwaukee in 6.

EuroSox35
10-01-2008, 03:32 AM
Lowe will shut them down in Game 1, Billingsley will do enough while Zambrano loses it, and LA will take one at home. LAD in 4. And this is not from any bias, I don't really buy into the 'hate them' mentality, just what I think will happen

MUsoxfan
10-01-2008, 03:39 AM
I think Dempster will probably get rocked in the first game, but the Cubs will win the series

johnr1note
10-01-2008, 07:08 AM
The Dodgers are the hottest team in baseball right now. I don't think the Cubs will know what hit them.

harwar
10-01-2008, 07:35 AM
The Dodgers are the hottest team in baseball right now. I don't think the Cubs will know what hit them.

Actually i think our White Sox are the hottest team right now and the cubs have such a good club i just can't see them blowing this one ..

turners56
10-01-2008, 08:16 AM
Cubs in 5. I'm rootin' for the Dodgers though.

credefan19
10-01-2008, 08:16 AM
cubs sweep

Marqhead
10-01-2008, 08:39 AM
I'm hoping we hear the words "Manny" and "Waveland" in the same sentence a few times this coming week.

That being said, my official prediction is Cubs in 4.

aryzner
10-01-2008, 09:01 AM
I don't think the Cubs will sweep, they'll drop one game and take out the Dodgers in 4.

asindc
10-01-2008, 09:04 AM
Cubs in 4. They are simply a better team than the Dodgers, even with Manny included.

PeteWard
10-01-2008, 09:06 AM
Cubs will be tighter than a gnat's ******* and LA will win in 4.:gulp:

kraut83
10-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Cubs in 5.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see anything standing between them and the WS.

The Cubs are good, but it's more a result of the other 3 teams being mediocre.

esbrechtel
10-01-2008, 09:49 AM
Cubs in 5....although if I am a cubs fan I worry about Manny in the playoffs....

areilly
10-01-2008, 10:46 AM
If you just heard a scream, it was me crying out in agony for conceding that the Cubs will win this series.

The Dodgers are on a roll, but I have to go with the Small Bears in 5.

palehozenychicty
10-01-2008, 10:52 AM
I picked the Dodgers in 5, although the Cubs have a better team on paper. I can't doubt Joe Torre with Manny Ramirez and a healthy Furcal alongside Nomar will pay huge dividends for the Dodgers.

nysox35
10-01-2008, 11:11 AM
I picked the Dodgers in 5, although the Cubs have a better team on paper. I can't doubt Joe Torre with Manny Ramirez and a healthy Furcal alongside Nomar will pay huge dividends for the Dodgers.

That was my vote too...I think LA is clicking at the right time and I see them winning in 5.

MeteorsSox4367
10-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Heart says Dodgers in 3. Head says Cubs in 4.

russ99
10-01-2008, 11:14 AM
If the Cubs hitters do as expected, Cubs in 5. If not, like last year's playoffs, Dodgers in 4.

Starting pitching is fairly even (unless Zambrano goes mental, then edge to LA), the Dodgers have a vastly better pen, and the Cubs have been in coast mode for 2-3 weeks now while LA has been fighting for the division.

Hitting is what sets them apart and if Lee, Soriano and Ramirez get stifled by playoff pitching like last year, LA should win.

I'd roll on the floor laughing (literally) if Maddux somehow eliminated the Cubs.

OldRomanPizza
10-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Century Club in Five.

They will split the first two games at the Urinal, than the Cubs will get a big road win behind Lilly or Harden in Game 3 or 4 and then clinch the series at home in Game 5 and it will be like they've won the World Series.

Mohoney
10-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Dodgers in 4.

SOXPHILE
10-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Dodgers in 4. I think people are underestimating them in this series. This is not the same team the Cubs swept at The Urinal in the summer. They've added Ramirez and Blake. Furcal is back from injury. This is not the Pirates or Dusty's Reds the Cubs are facing, just as it's not the Rockies, Padres and Choking Diamondbacks the Dodgers are facing.

rdwj
10-01-2008, 04:24 PM
Voting with my heart here - Dodgers sweep!

Risk
10-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Dodgers in 4. Why argue against nearly one hundred years of historical evidence that shows when the chips are down, the Cute and Cuddlies will fold like weak chairs.

Risk

chisoxfanatic
10-01-2008, 06:06 PM
Dodgers in 4. Manny will be big in this series.

RKMeibalane
10-01-2008, 08:17 PM
The idiot sheep at the Urinal have been silenced by Loney's grand-slam. It couldn't happen to a nicer group of people.

BleacherBandit
10-01-2008, 08:25 PM
The idiot sheep at the Urinal have been silenced by Loney's grand-slam. It couldn't happen to a nicer group of people.

Yeah, I was watching it during dinner, and I saw the fly ball go out to left center. I didn't know it was a grand slam until moments later because the Cubbies fans were instantly silenced. This makes me feel great. :cool:

soxfanreggie
10-01-2008, 08:28 PM
I'm hoping it goes 5 because I think some people will be interested in my Game 5 tickets. If I had to be able to get tickets, why oh why was it to these teams...

jabrch
10-01-2008, 08:55 PM
I'd love Manny to stay in the NL.

jabrch
10-01-2008, 08:56 PM
I so want a Sox vs Cubs WS.

DSpivack
10-01-2008, 09:00 PM
I'd love Manny to stay in the NL.

Me, too.

No thanks, let them lose to the Dodgers.

turners56
10-01-2008, 09:00 PM

I think it's pretty split even as to who wants a Chicago WS and who doesn't. I'm with the latter.

LongLiveFisk
10-01-2008, 09:50 PM

God no. I have faith in the Sox and everything but all we need is for them to cool off at the wrong time and this is the LAST team you would want them to lose to. :o:

LITTLE NELL
10-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Get the L flag, out Cubs Lose 7-2

Dibbs
10-01-2008, 11:00 PM
I was the first vote earlier for the Dodgers sweep.

Mohoney
10-01-2008, 11:26 PM
No thanks, let them lose to the Dodgers.

+1. I want them to crash and burn as soon as possible and have the rest of the postseason to myself.

SteveFakeBlood
10-01-2008, 11:43 PM
As much as players will say it doesn't affect them, seeing all the Cubs choke jobs where they snatch defeat from the jaws of victory makes me think they're not immune to the pressure their fans put on them. When get a notoriously fickle fanbase who will boo anyone on their team at the drop of a hat and consistently thinks whatever team they play in the playoffs will just roll over and let them win- it's going to have at least a marginal effect on the team's psyche unless they sequester themselves away from everything somehow.

I'm going with Dodgers in 4. I won't be surprised if the Cubs win, I just think the Dodgers are just a looser, more comfortable team. The Cubs are clearly a better team talent-wise, but that doesn't mean much when you don't have a guy who's going to step up to the pressure and put the team on his back- I'm not totally convinced anyone on the Cubs can do that. Clearly Manny can for the Dodgers.

~Steve

PS Yeah, no Crosstown for me, thanks. I used to say I wanted it, but I'd like to be able to go back to visit my parents and friends and wear Sox gear without having random complete strangers constantly talk **** to me (without me even provoking anything- this already happens so I'd have to imagine it'd get worse) if by some complete absurdity beyond all belief we manage to lose. I mean if the Cubs even make the World Series, all reason and sense in the world will be so backwards and upside down that such a thing is possible. It'd be amazing to beat them, but not worth the risk. Let the NL do our dirty work...

Tragg
10-01-2008, 11:53 PM
I know I'm late, but I think the Cubs have rotation issues and have thought that all year...too many "slightly above average" pitchers...Lilly, Marquis, Dempster....that's not WS quality. Zambrano is - sometimes.

realflava23
10-02-2008, 12:03 AM
Dodgers in 4

RockJock07
10-02-2008, 12:44 AM
As much as players will say it doesn't affect them, seeing all the Cubs choke jobs where they snatch defeat from the jaws of victory makes me think they're not immune to the pressure their fans put on them. When get a notoriously fickle fanbase who will boo anyone on their team at the drop of a hat and consistently thinks whatever team they play in the playoffs will just roll over and let them win- it's going to have at least a marginal effect on the team's psyche unless they sequester themselves away from everything somehow.

I'm going with Dodgers in 4. I won't be surprised if the Cubs win, I just think the Dodgers are just a looser, more comfortable team. The Cubs are clearly a better team talent-wise, but that doesn't mean much when you don't have a guy who's going to step up to the pressure and put the team on his back- I'm not totally convinced anyone on the Cubs can do that. Clearly Manny can for the Dodgers.

~Steve

PS Yeah, no Crosstown for me, thanks. I used to say I wanted it, but I'd like to be able to go back to visit my parents and friends and wear Sox gear without having random complete strangers constantly talk **** to me (without me even provoking anything- this already happens so I'd have to imagine it'd get worse) if by some complete absurdity beyond all belief we manage to lose. I mean if the Cubs even make the World Series, all reason and sense in the world will be so backwards and upside down that such a thing is possible. It'd be amazing to beat them, but not worth the risk. Let the NL do our dirty work...

I'm not so sure about that, the Dodgers have a very good bullpen and lead the NL in ERA or their bullpen did, not sure which it was. Even with Marmol and Wood at the end, the Dodgers just have a better bullpen. I thought they would win game 1 with Dempster going but now all the pressure falls on big Z and that could mean no hit stuff or 8 runs in 2 innings. Game 1 was supposed to go the cubs way.

I heard during the MIL/PHI series that 23 of the 26 NLDS series' the team losing game 1 has gone on to lose the series. Cubs are in trouble, Soriano and Lee have been awful in the playoffs and its continued this year. going down 0-2 to LA is death for the Cubs.

SouthSoxFan
10-02-2008, 02:07 AM
I heard during the MIL/PHI series that 23 of the 26 NLDS series' the team losing game 1 has gone on to lose the series.

That's true. But in the ALDS the team that has won game 1 is 12-14 in the series. Both of those stats are odd, and just the results of small samples. All together that's 35-17 for the game 1 winner, or about 67%. A very simple probability calc (rating the teams equal) would put it at 69%.

So yes the Cubs are in some trouble, but I wouldn't get caught up in that small bit of history.

GAsoxfan
10-02-2008, 12:35 PM
I know I'm a day late on this, but I think this is the worst possible match-up for the Cubs. The Dodgers have had good pitching for a few years, but even though they have some solid young hitters, they didn't really have that big bat that opposing pitchers feared. Once they got Manny, that offense became just as good as the Cubs (IMO). I think the Dodgers are going to win in 4.

White_Sock
10-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Great pic on www.espn.com (http://www.espn.com)

cleanwsox
10-05-2008, 01:22 AM
Well, we sucked at this one.

:smile:

SteveFakeBlood
10-05-2008, 01:26 AM
Well, that serves those arrogant bastards right (more the fans than the team really... but still). Now let's go win three straight to really show them up.

~Steve

ohthosechisox
10-05-2008, 01:51 AM
Aw shucks, my prediction was wrong.

I thought the Dodgers would win in 4 games. :-P

WhiteSox5187
10-05-2008, 01:54 AM
Honestly, I'm shocked that they got swept. I never really thought they'd look THIS bad.

Mr. White Sox
10-05-2008, 02:03 AM
Honestly, I'm shocked that they got swept. I never really thought they'd look THIS bad.

I picked (on my blog, but I don't need to link to it because it's really not high quality writing) the Dodgers 3-2 over the Cubs. That's a better prediction than 9/10 ESPN "experts"; 9 had the Cubs winning, and 1 had the Dodgers 3-2 as well.

soxpride724
10-05-2008, 10:42 AM
I thought the Dodgers would end it in 4, oh well.

tstrike2000
10-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Thankfully, it's over and the media can cover other things.

areilly
10-05-2008, 01:51 PM

My thoughts exactly. They looked like they were on a death march through games two and three.