PDA

View Full Version : WSI Predicts: Red Sox/Angels ALDS

doublem23
09-30-2008, 11:13 PM
Game 1: Wed. at Los Angeles (Lester v. Lackey)
Game 2: Fri. at Los Angeles (Matsuzaka v. Santana)
Game 3: Sun. at Boston (Saunders v. Beckett)
Game 4: Mon. at Boston (Lackey v. TBA)
Game 5: Wed, 10/8, at Los Angeles (TBA v. TBA)

thomas35forever
09-30-2008, 11:18 PM
It'll be tough for the Angels after having clinched the division like three weeks ago. I still think they'll put it out though.

Rockabilly
09-30-2008, 11:20 PM
Angels in 5 games

PKalltheway
09-30-2008, 11:21 PM
I say the Angels will take this in 5. The Angels will lose their first 2 to get a sudden wake-up call, then they'll turn it on and stomp Boston in the last 3.

I'm interested to see how the Angels will respond in this series, considering that they haven't played an important game since July.

SoxSpeed22
09-30-2008, 11:26 PM
The Angels beat up on the weakest divisional opponents out there. They've been on cruise control for the past few weeks, which is not good. I think Boston should win this series even with Beckett hurt. They split in LA and the Red Sox take both of them in Fenway.

DSpivack
10-01-2008, 12:46 AM
Red Sox are playing better of late than are the Angels, but will be a little too banged up to move on. Teixeira is surprisingly meh, the Angels pitching is okay but not dominant in a tight, relatively low-scoring series. Vladimir's bat propels Anaheim forward.

chisoxmike
10-01-2008, 12:46 AM
Angels in 5.

EuroSox35
10-01-2008, 02:49 AM
Game 1: Boston, Game 2: Boston, Game 3: Angels, Game 4: Angels, Game 5: Boston. Yeah, probably not likely, but I'm going with the road team every game

johnr1note
10-01-2008, 06:06 AM
I am selfishly pulling for the Red Sox, so the White Sox can have homefield advantage after a defeat of Tampa Bay in their series.

turners56
10-01-2008, 07:16 AM
Angels. They were 6-0 against the Bosox this year.

credefan19
10-01-2008, 07:17 AM
angels in 5

Marqhead
10-01-2008, 07:42 AM
I don't know how healthy Beckett is, DiceK walk about a dozen people each game, I think the Angels take advantage.

Lackey is a stud, and the Angels bullpen is lights out.

Angels in 4.

esbrechtel
10-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Angels in 4 their relief pitching is just amazing...

palehozenychicty
10-01-2008, 09:54 AM
I think this series is deeply interesting. The Carmines own the Angels in the postseason historically, but Beckett and Lowell being gimpy and traveling out to Anaheim three times may be too much to overcome.

Angels in 5.

nysox35
10-01-2008, 10:09 AM
Angels in 4 their relief pitching is just amazing...

Agreed, LA in 4

MeteorsSox4367
10-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Heart = Angels in 3. Head = Angels in 5.

joebro25
10-01-2008, 11:19 AM
The Angels will sweep.

asindc
10-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Angels in 5. They might drop game 1 to Lester, but it will wake them up. They have by far the best bullpen in the playoffs.

Hokiesox
10-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Angels. They were 6-0 against the Bosox this year.

Not the same sport, but didn't the Cavs have the same regular season record against the Bulls before The Shot in 1989?

gf2020
10-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Can't believe this thread isn't more active. Angels are up 1-0 in the fifth.

I'm rooting for the Red Sox. If we manage to advance and the Red Sox beat the Angels, we'd get home field advantage in the ALCS.

gf2020
10-01-2008, 10:53 PM
2-1 Boston in the bottom of the sixth.

realflava23
10-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Red Sox in 5

RockJock07
10-01-2008, 11:50 PM
What was Vlad thinking, Youkilis had that ball in his hands when Vlad was rounding 2nd. Not good baserunning there. Angels bats are to cold for that to happen.

DSpivack
10-01-2008, 11:56 PM
What was Vlad thinking, Youkilis had that ball in his hands when Vlad was rounding 2nd. Not good baserunning there. Angels bats are to cold for that to happen.

Yeah, I have no idea why he ran to third there. Bone-headed play could have been there best chance to tie it.

GoGoCrede
10-01-2008, 11:57 PM
If we happen to face the Angels, they will be out for our blood. Or, more accurately, AJ's blood. They've got long memories. EDIT: Although it wasn't so long ago.

Dare I hope for a Doug Eddings sighting sometime this week?

thomas35forever
10-01-2008, 11:59 PM
Red Sox Nation making itself heard right now.

DSpivack
10-02-2008, 12:00 AM
If we happen to face the Angels, they will be out for our blood. Or, more accurately, AJ's blood. They've got long memories. EDIT: Although it wasn't so long ago.

Dare I hope for a Doug Eddings sighting sometime this week?

That would be true, except the Red Sox have won 9 in a row now in the playoffs versus LAAAOCCUSA.

GoGoCrede
10-02-2008, 12:04 AM
That would be true, except the Red Sox have won 9 in a row now in the playoffs versus LAAAOCCUSA.

I feel dirty rooting for either one. On the one hand, K-Rod. On the other, Papelbon. I think I'll root for the Red Sox if I must. Home field advantage, and I still haven't gotten over the sight of K-Rod's antics after he got the save against us earlier this month. Obnoxious.

thomas35forever
10-02-2008, 12:06 AM
I feel dirty rooting for either one. On the one hand, K-Rod. On the other, Papelbon. I think I'll root for the Red Sox if I must. Home field advantage, and I still haven't gotten over the sight of K-Rod's antics after he got the save against us earlier this month. Obnoxious.
As a division winner, we'd get the home-field advantage over the Wild Card winner, no?

DSpivack
10-02-2008, 12:06 AM

K-Rod aside, I could never root for Boston.

DSpivack
10-02-2008, 12:07 AM
As a division winner, we'd get the home-field advantage over the Wild Card winner, no?

Yup.

GoGoCrede
10-02-2008, 12:09 AM
Yup.

Exactly. They're obnoxious as they come, but I'm really just rooting for home field advantage.

DSpivack
10-02-2008, 12:11 AM
Exactly. They're obnoxious as they come, but I'm really just rooting for home field advantage.

Fair enough. I'd be a lot more scared to face the Angels and their staff than Boston, especially if Beckett's health is still in question.

GoGoCrede
10-02-2008, 12:14 AM
Fair enough. I'd be a lot more scared to face the Angels and their staff than Boston, especially if Beckett's health is still in question.

I'll say it again: They will want AJ's head on a stick. Nothing would be sweeter for them and their fans than to knock us out of the running.

If the Red Sox win it here, it's interesting. All the away teams, save for the Phillies, won Game 1. It's going to be a hell of a ride.

EDIT: Over. Red Sox win 4-1

RockJock07
10-02-2008, 12:21 AM
My only fear playing the Red Sox is Ellsbury, the White Sox seem to make guys like him look like the second coming. The fact they don't have manny cannot be overstated however Youkilis can rake.

Boston up, win 4-1.

SoxSpeed22
10-02-2008, 12:24 AM
What a job by Lester. Boston looks like they could be up 2-0 going back to Boston with Matsuzaka going on the mound Friday.

DSpivack
10-02-2008, 12:26 AM
What a job by Lester. Boston looks like they could be up 2-0 going back to Boston with Matsuzaka going on the mound Friday.

Daisuke is facing Ervin Santana, who is a stud at home. I think Matsuzaka is really overrated, he walks far too many guys.

Mohoney
10-02-2008, 12:38 AM
I did not think that there was any way that the Lester-Lackey matchup would end with a Boston win. Not that Lackey didn't pitch his balls off, but I fully expected Lester to give up 3 or 4 runs. Instead, Lester was almost as filthy as Hamels was, and made Anaheim look like chumps. Lester deserves all the credit in the world.

palehozenychicty
10-02-2008, 08:05 AM
I did not think that there was any way that the Lester-Lackey matchup would end with a Boston win. Not that Lackey didn't pitch his balls off, but I fully expected Lester to give up 3 or 4 runs. Instead, Lester was almost as filthy as Hamels was, and made Anaheim look like chumps. Lester deserves all the credit in the world.

Lester's been pretty damn good all year. The Halos had a chance to get him early, but they didn't, he settled down and closed the door. Huge win for the Sawx.

Billy Ashley
10-02-2008, 08:22 AM

Lester may have been the best pitcher in the American League since June. Lackey is a stud, no doubt in my mind but Lester is well on his way to becoming one of the best lefties in all of baseball. Behind Lee and Holliday the best pitcher in the AL this season was a toss up between Lester and Danks.

Additionally it's a short series, anything can happen in five games let alone one. Even if the Rays throw out Kazmir against Kyle Davies of the Royals doesn't mean that the Rays are a massive favorite. One game is entirely too small of a sample to project anything.

Case in point: I'd argue that the Rays were the best team in the American League this year. In fact, I'd argue that they were a great deal better than the White Sox during the season. Who do I think is going to win 3 out of the next 5 games? Shoot, we might as well flip a coin. That's the beauty of play off baseball. The season no longer matters and one hot streak can propel a team like the 06 Cardinals to a title. One run of bad luck can kill a 116 win team as well (as it happened not so long ago).

GoGoCrede
10-03-2008, 08:48 PM
3-run homer for Boston with two outs. If only we could've done that.

Angels' "best" record doesn't seem to be helping them here.

turners56
10-03-2008, 08:52 PM
The Angels might have to bow down to the Bean towners again.

Rays vs. Red Sox ALCS will be intriguing...

White Sox vs. Red Sox ALCS will be even more so though.

GoGoCrede
10-03-2008, 08:53 PM
The Angels might have to bow down to the Bean towners again.

Rays vs. Red Sox ALCS will be intriguing...

White Sox vs. Red Sox ALCS will be even more so though.

At this point I'd take White Sox vs anyone in the ALCS.

GoGoCrede
10-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Anyone else noticed the astronomical amount of errors in all the playoff games?

Torii Hunter jumped up in frustration that he was out at first, now he's down. End of the third.

Fenway
10-04-2008, 01:18 AM
The last time the Angels beat Boston in October they were still the California Angels and had a 3-1 lead in the 86 ALCS. Picking the extra off day format has backfired badly on them.

sox1970
10-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Torii Hunter may have just caused them the season. Let the ball drop in front of him. 3 runs score.

soltrain21
10-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Torii just looked like an idiot. Angels are done I am thinking.

GoGoCrede
10-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Couldn't believe my eyes. That's why you always run it out. That could be the season for them if they don't get it together. The fact that it was Hunter who screwed it up makes me smile. It's fun to watch teams screw up that I am not emotionally invested in.

sox1970
10-05-2008, 07:47 PM
3-3. I hope it goes five games...like the other series.

manders_01
10-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Holy crap - that HR was a ****ing BOMB! :mg:

GoGoCrede
10-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Holy crap - that HR was a ****ing BOMB! :mg:

No kidding. It's mighty silent at Fenway right now. Good.

turners56
10-05-2008, 09:00 PM
We should be rooting for Boston. We will get HFA if both Sox advance.

GoGoCrede
10-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Scioscia looks on the verge of a breakdown. Still tied in the 10th. If the Angels lose it here, both teams with the best records will have been wiped out in the first round.

mccoydp
10-05-2008, 10:53 PM
**** Rod looked like he was going to pitch a fit on the mound after he didn't get that pitch.

GoGoCrede
10-05-2008, 10:54 PM
**** Rod looked like he was going to pitch a fit on the mound after he didn't get that pitch.

Nothing would make my day more (besides our White Sox winning) than a K-Rod blown save or a Red Sox loss. Too bad I can't have both.

EDIT: He pitches out of it, and acts like a douche as he leaves the field. As usual.

mccoydp
10-05-2008, 10:55 PM
I wish "K" Rod would spontaneously combust.

EDIT: Or implode on himself.

thomas35forever
10-05-2008, 10:56 PM
Nothing would make my day more (besides our White Sox winning) than a K-Rod blown save or a Red Sox loss. Too bad I can't have both.
K-Rod acts arrogant once again. Can someone hit a line drive between his eyes please?

GoGoCrede
10-05-2008, 10:57 PM
K-Rod acts arrogant once again. Can someone hit a line drive between his eyes please?

Did you see when he gave up a 2-run homer the other night? He hung his head, it was beautiful.

mccoydp
10-05-2008, 10:58 PM
Oh joy, Papel**** is in.

chisoxfanatic
10-05-2008, 10:58 PM

Did you see when he gave up a 2-run homer the other night? He hung his head, it was beautiful.
I'll take K-Rod over Papelbon any day.

Konerkoholic
10-05-2008, 10:59 PM
The guy whoops it up after loading the bases, getting a gift strike on 2-0, and then getting lucky that a well-hit ball found his RF's glove. What a dickhole that guy is.

mccoydp
10-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Please don't compare Papelbon and K-Rod to Eckersley.

GoGoCrede
10-05-2008, 11:00 PM
I'll take K-Rod over Papelbon any day.

I'll take Bobby over both. :cool: He acts like he's been there before (which he has, which is even better).

ohthosechisox
10-05-2008, 11:01 PM
Scioscia looks on the verge of a breakdown. Still tied in the 10th. If the Angels lose it here, both teams with the best records will have been wiped out in the first round.

Hopefully we can say this about the top 3 records in baseball. ;)

Konerkoholic
10-05-2008, 11:03 PM
I'll take Bobby over both. :cool: He acts like he's been there before (which he has, which is even better).

That is so true. The most you'll see from Bobby is a fist pump.

GoGoCrede
10-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Papelbon gets the third out, and rivals K-Rod's antics on the mound earlier. Is there any way both teams can lose? :rolleyes:

thomas35forever
10-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Papelbon should've pointed to the Angels dugout and yelled "How do ya like that, Frankie?!"

Konerkoholic
10-05-2008, 11:13 PM
Papelbon works out of his jam and subsequently acts like a rabid chimp.

Konerkoholic
10-05-2008, 11:16 PM
Papelbon gets the third out, and rivals K-Rod's antics on the mound earlier. Is there any way both teams can lose? :rolleyes:

When you're a bad sport, you always lose (see Williams, Roy.)

GoGoCrede
10-05-2008, 11:19 PM
Borderline call there.

Konerkoholic
10-05-2008, 11:22 PM
A foot outside. Seems like umpiring is getting worse year by year.

SoxSpeed22
10-05-2008, 11:26 PM
When you're a bad sport, you always lose (see Williams, Roy.)He's just an idiot. He does that when the Lions are down 17.

21stcenturySox
10-05-2008, 11:33 PM
5 hour game!

I want the BoSox to sweep 'em here, but if I'm giving them until Midnight b4 I call it a nite.

Erich Aybar (willy's bro) singles in the go-ahead run.

GoGoCrede
10-05-2008, 11:41 PM
I want the Red Sox to win so that we can have a later start tomorrow (7pm). If the Angels win it's a 4pm start time.

thomas35forever
10-05-2008, 11:43 PM
I want the Red Sox to win so that we can have a later start tomorrow (7pm). If the Angels win it's a 4pm start time.
A 4 PM start time is what I don't want because I will miss a good deal of the game due to a radio meeting starting at the same time.

GoGoCrede
10-05-2008, 11:47 PM
A 4 PM start time is what I don't want because I will miss a good deal of the game due to a radio meeting starting at the same time.

Well honestly I'd be able to see either time because I'm on break, but I'm tired of us getting the shaft in terms of a primetime slot.

edit: Angels take it. So the Cubs are the only team to get swept this year in the playoffs. Goes to show how all bets are off in the postseason.

21stcenturySox
10-05-2008, 11:50 PM
Ah well,

4 pm it is. Good game. 5-4 Angels in 12.

Who dressed this dude? Paisley with stripes?

TheOldRoman
10-05-2008, 11:53 PM
Papelbon should've pointed to the Angels dugout and yelled "How do ya like that, Frankie?!"Papelbitch is a colossal douche. His antics are worse than K-Rods. At least with K-Rod you get the notion that he is so self-centered that feels he can show up everyone, but nobody can do it to him. Papelbitch not only is a prick who shows people up, but he is an attention whore. Much like his celebration after the final out last year, I get the impression he plans his celebrations beforehand. "DUDE! I should totally do the riverdance in my underwear! That would get me lots of pub."

areilly
10-05-2008, 11:53 PM
Anyone who just watched game 4 saw a great one. Every time I watch an Angels game my respect for Scioscia as a manager grows.

GoGoCrede
10-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Entertaining game, indeed. It was pretty entertaining seeing Torii Hunter let a fly ball drop that scored three, and seeing him thrown out at second trying to advance.

I'm glad for Scioscia and Garland, I like both of them a lot. And it means even more baseball to watch.

chisoxfanatic
10-06-2008, 01:53 AM
That is so true. The most you'll see from Bobby is a fist pump.
Absolutely. We have a bunch of humble guys on our squad. Just because you're an outstanding pitcher does not give you the right to act like a douche. Papel****er and K-Rod could learn a few lessons on humility from Jenks.

GoGoCrede
10-06-2008, 02:04 AM
Absolutely. We have a bunch of humble guys on our squad. Just because you're an outstanding pitcher does not give you the right to act like a douche. Papel****er and K-Rod could learn a few lessons on humility from Jenks.

Prime example tonight. Bobby got the save, all he did was first pump and high-five AJ. By contrast, K-Rod and Papelbon, who pitched but didn't end the game, both acted like clowns on the mound. Jenks is a guy who's been there, done that, literally, and he's still no hot dog. That's what I love about the team (Although Dotel did get really excited after he struck out the batter in the 8th).

Sox4ever77
10-06-2008, 02:07 AM
I wish more closers acted like Mariano, Lee Smith, Trevor Hoffman. They didn't do the BS that Eck, Papel****er, and KRod do. Eck had his "Kirk Gibson" moment. I can't wait for Papel****er and KRod to have their "Kirk Gibson" moment.

Billy Ashley
10-06-2008, 09:04 AM
Prime example tonight. Bobby got the save, all he did was first pump and high-five AJ. By contrast, K-Rod and Papelbon, who pitched but didn't end the game, both acted like clowns on the mound. Jenks is a guy who's been there, done that, literally, and he's still no hot dog. That's what I love about the team (Although Dotel did get really excited after he struck out the batter in the 8th).

What's even better is that K-Rod pitched like utter crap. They both get too excited, but at least Papelbon didn't flail around like an idiot after almost costing his team the game. Papelbon merely acted like a tool after giving his team ample chance to win it.

Billy Ashley
10-06-2008, 09:06 AM
I wish more closers acted like Mariano, Lee Smith, Trevor Hoffman. They didn't do the BS that Eck, Papel****er, and KRod do. Eck had his "Kirk Gibson" moment. I can't wait for Papel****er and KRod to have their "Kirk Gibson" moment.

K-Rod's entire post season career has been filled with Gibson like moments. He's give up game winning homers in 2 of his last three appearances. Papelbon on the other hand has 20 innings of post season play with out a run scored, if he stays with Boston he'll be bound to have a bad play off appearance at some point, he's been in the play offs a ton already...

Thatguyoverthere
10-06-2008, 12:01 PM
So what are the chances of the home team never winning a game in this series? How often has that happened?

I think if the Angels win today, they win the series. This win at the very least should get the Boston playoff monkey off their backs.

btrain929
10-06-2008, 12:12 PM
I don't even know who I'd want to win this series. I don't like how we match up against Boston. But if Boston wins, we have home-field advantage. But I think we match up better with the Angels. We split 2-2 out there this year. And played them pretty well at home.

asindc
10-06-2008, 02:05 PM
I don't even know who I'd want to win this series. I don't like how we match up against Boston. But if Boston wins, we have home-field advantage. But I think we match up better with the Angels. We split 2-2 out there this year. And played them pretty well at home.

From a competitive standpoint, I want LAAAAAA to win. From a rooting standpoint, I want LAAAAA to win. Since I'm not there in Chicago to attend any games, there is no reason for me to root for Boston to win. There... that settles it for me.:smile:

RockJock07
10-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Anyone who just watched game 4 saw a great one. Every time I watch an Angels game my respect for Scioscia as a manager grows.

There are some great managers in this post-season. Francona and Scioscia are as good as they come, plus Joe Torre, Maddon, and Ozzie.

chisoxfanatic
10-06-2008, 10:05 PM
What a neat, clutch 2-out hit by Torii Hunter to tie this game up at 2.

Hendu
10-06-2008, 10:24 PM
Crap. The hitter HAS to make contact on that bunt attempt. What a wasted opportunity by the Angels.

DSpivack
10-06-2008, 10:29 PM
Sawx win.

Go Tampa!

kevingrt
Damn. Did not want to see that team or mainly fanbase make it any further.

Hendu
It's ovah. Angels had a chance to take the lead in the 9th and failed to execute. C'mon Rays!

chisoxmike
10-06-2008, 10:30 PM
The Angels really need to figure out a way to avoid the Red Sox in the playoffs.

Sockinchisox
Man would it be sweet to see the Rays take out Boston.

thomas35forever
Go Rays. Bury Beantown.

cleanwsox
10-06-2008, 10:31 PM
Man would it be sweet to see the Rays take out Boston.

Yup, my hate for Tampa is gone now. Go Rays!

Should be an intense series.

nasox
10-06-2008, 10:33 PM
That play is what makes baseball so special. So much went on in that one play, and that was exciting as hell. Too bad the Angels couldn't get it done. Go RAYS!

mccoydp
10-06-2008, 10:40 PM
Go Rays!

chisoxfanatic
10-06-2008, 10:41 PM
I think everyone in America who isn't a Sawx fan will be pulling for the Rays. The Rays are our last hope, IMHO, of making sure the Sawx do not win it all again.

Tragg
10-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Squeeze is a really risky play. Get a pinch hitter up there to hit a sacrifice fly - that's a lot easier to convert than a squeeze.

JB98
10-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Damn Red Sox.

I hope the Rays beat them.

Scottiehaswheels
10-06-2008, 10:55 PM
Go Rays!

turners56
10-07-2008, 08:59 AM
Willits was out on that play. Varitek tagged him with the ball and then the ball fell out after he hit the ground. Think of it as a football play. He had the posession of the ball when he hit the ground and then the ground caused the fumble. :?:

Sox4ever77
10-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Willits was out on that play. Varitek tagged him with the ball and then the ball fell out after he hit the ground. Think of it as a football play. He had the posession of the ball when he hit the ground and then the ground caused the fumble. :?:

This isn't football. If Willits had ran over Varitek at the plate and he dropped the ball, Willits would have been safe.

Baseball needs to expand replay.

palehozenychicty
10-07-2008, 02:12 PM
What's even better is that K-Rod pitched like utter crap. They both get too excited, but at least Papelbon didn't flail around like an idiot after almost costing his team the game. Papelbon merely acted like a tool after giving his team ample chance to win it.

K-Rod blows. He doesn't even have a fastball anymore. In Games 2 and 3, he pretty much threw all sliders and changeups. That's not good enough to close.

Minaya already has his checkbook ready and drool on his chin, and K-Rod will finally get him fired.

doublem23
10-07-2008, 02:13 PM

Uh, football rules don't apply to baseball. Varitek dropped the ball, the runner is safe.

palehozenychicty
10-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Squeeze is a really risky play. Get a pinch hitter up there to hit a sacrifice fly - that's a lot easier to convert than a squeeze.

Thank you. I said the same thing to a buddy of mine, that a squeeze was an awful play in a tie game on the road with a lefty and one out. Scioscia didn't believe that Aybar could pull Delcarmen to the right side. Fine. Then bring in someone that can hit a sac fly. Even a Baltimore chop on the infield gets Willits in. The Angels are the new Braves, and Scioscia is a made manager.

turners56
10-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Uh, football rules don't apply to baseball. Varitek dropped the ball, the runner is safe.

But he tagged the runner first and the ball dropped after he tagged the runner and he hit the ground. The problem is, the runner did not cause him to drop the ball, the ground did.

turners56
10-07-2008, 03:24 PM
This isn't football. If Willits had ran over Varitek at the plate and he dropped the ball, Willits would have been safe.

Baseball needs to expand reply.

True. However, Willits would then be the one that would cause the ball to pop out, not the ground. After looking at that replay, Varitek cleanly tagged Willits and the ball dropped after he had tagged Willits.

Sox4ever77
10-07-2008, 03:44 PM
True. However, Willits would then be the one that would cause the ball to pop out, not the ground. After looking at that replay, Varitek cleanly tagged Willits and the ball dropped after he had tagged Willits.

But it's the continuation of the play. If a runner runs over the catcher and the catcher drops the ball, the runner is safe.

I would say look at the Brewers-Phils series, when the Brewers RF made the catch, banged into the wall and it was considered a no catch.

GoGoCrede
10-07-2008, 04:25 PM
I heard about the Sawx win. I was a bit shocked, to be honest - Angels, with their "best record" end up losing in the first round? I didn't watch the game - were they simply outplayed? I hope there was a close up of K-Rod's face after they lost.

turners56
10-07-2008, 04:54 PM
But it's the continuation of the play. If a runner runs over the catcher and the catcher drops the ball, the runner is safe.

I would say look at the Brewers-Phils series, when the Brewers RF made the catch, banged into the wall and it was considered a no catch.

But we're not talking about a catch here...

That rule there is also ridiculous cause he did make the catch. If he didn't do the extra-flip-over, he would of caught that ball. Football's interpretation of what a catch is is much better than what baseball has it as.

Think of what happens on a transfer. If you catch the ball on a force out at second base and then drop it on a transfer, that's considered an out anyhow, because you had contact with the base while you had the ball. The same logic can be applied to yesterday's play. Varitek had the ball when he tagged Willits. It wasn't until he hit the ground that the ball popped out.