PDA

View Full Version : KW= Executive of the Year

JermaineDye05
09-30-2008, 10:17 PM
A team that almost lost 100 games (95). Now AL Central champions.

Gavin Floyd seemed like a lost cause in Philladelphia, Kenny saw something in him and acquired him in 2006. Kenny said they were sticking with Gavin in the rotation and many thought he was crazy to have John Danks (6-13 with a 5.50 ERA) in the rotation but now Gavin Floyd who had a career ERA over 6....:puking:. Well he sure showed everyone. Gavin Floyd ended up going 17-8 with a 3.84 ERA tied for 4th in the league with wins. John Danks finished 12-9 with a 3.32 ERA which was 5th in the league.

After a horrible bullpen in 2007, Kenny made sure to fix this, he first went out and got Scott Linebrink who went 2-2 with a 3.62 ERA although in the first half he had a 2.37 ERA holding batters to a .207 average. Kenny also went out and got Octavio Dotel, although some of the fan base may not have beeen to confident when he came in, Octavio finished the season 4-4 with a 3.76 ERA he also struck out 92 men in his 67.0 IP After a rough 2007, Matt Thornton bounced back in the bullpen with his best season yet finishing 5-3 2.67 ERA.

In a very under the radar type move, which Kenny is known for. He went out and signed the defected Cuban Alexei Ramirez to a 4 year $4.75 Million contract. Many fans thought Alexei needed much help with his swing, and thought he would need some time in AAA so he could get used to major league pitching and fix out all the kinks in his swing and so he could also play at his natural position, SS considering he didn't really play 2B all too well Ozzie Guillen described his play at 2B as "rough". Alexei played his way onto the team, with a little help from an injured Danny Richar. Although Alexei struggled mightily when the season started, hitting just .138 into April. Although Alexei fixed his swing, and played his way into the starting lineup thanks to an opportunity after a Juan Uribe injury. Alexei finished the season hitting .290 with 21 HR and 77 RBI, 4 of those HR's being grand slams setting a new rookie record. Alexei also managed to play solid defense at second, displaying one of the most amazing plays ever by a second baseman on July 23 against the Texas Rangers.

There was another under the radar move by Kenny which I can't really remember. All I know is that afterwords Kenny said "We wanted to upgrade at shortstop, get a setup guy for the bullpen, acquire.... , and not a guy like him but actually... " . Ugh I can't remember his name but he actually ended up working out pretty well for the Sox :wink:.

DumpJerry
09-30-2008, 10:23 PM
A team that almost lost 100 games (95). Now AL Central champions.
We lost only 90 games last year......

I agree with your post, but he won't get the props he deserves.

JermaineDye05
09-30-2008, 10:26 PM
We lost only 90 games last year......

I agree with your post, but he won't get the props he deserves.

Woops

I was on Baseball reference.com and it said 67-95. I thought that was their record, I feel stupid cause I remember them finishing 72-90.

dickallen15
09-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Exactly how is the TB GM not a lock?

sox1970
09-30-2008, 11:25 PM

How the hell wasn't KW a lock in 2005? That was a crime.

Gavin
09-30-2008, 11:29 PM

Uhh... after that many #1/#2/#3 draft picks in a row TB had to put up a solid team sooner or later.

Right, KC?

WhiteSox5187
09-30-2008, 11:33 PM
Kenny has done a great great great job (and i bitched about everyone of his moves save Quentin), but as great of a job as Kenny has done, the guy for the Rays has done an even better job. He should get it, Kenny should get another World Series ring, I'd make that trade!

DSpivack
09-30-2008, 11:34 PM
Uhh... after that many #1/#2/#3 draft picks in a row TB had to put up a solid team sooner or later.

Right, KC?

They had a lot, sure, but they also have had top 5 picks for a decade and still stunk. He also made some great moves in the offseason to shape the team; signing Percival and trading Delmon Young for Matt Garza, their very good #3, and Jason Bartlett, their starting SS. As well as a few other moves. With all due respect to KW, and yes he should have won it in 2005, this award belongs in Tampa.

Quite a remarkable job by both teams, though. One team was 72-90 last year, the other was 66-96.

UofCSoxFan
10-01-2008, 12:03 AM

What moves exactly did he make this year? When you draft purpetually in the top 10 and weight for those guys to finally develop, you aren't Exec of the Year. Kazmir was aquired in a great trade a few years ago. Crawford has been there forever. Pena was there last year.

Bartlett and Garza were their only majore acquisitions.

He'll get it, but he doesn't deserve it. Let's keep in mind the Cleveland GM won it in 2005, which was a complete joke too.

Jerome
10-01-2008, 12:17 AM
A WS, a 90 win team, and then another AL Central championship in 4 years counts as a dynasty in my eyes - Sox have never had this kind of semi-consistent success as long as I've been a Sox fan (admittedly only since 1995). Maybe not a dynasty but something as a fan I can be very very happy with - a team that's in playoff contention all year long is really all I can ask for. Save 2007 of course, but he cleaned up that mess rather quickly I'd say.

Danks, Floyd, Alexei, Quentin - where would we be without those acquisitions? And the age of those 4 lets me breathe a little easier at the lack of stud prospects in the minors.

SOX ADDICT '73
10-01-2008, 12:49 AM
The story I heard is that the idiot sportswriters voted on the award well before the regular season was over. At the time, the Indians were charging hard and a Sox collapse seemed inevitable.

In the end, they snubbed Kenny Williams, a GM who basically rebuilt his team from scratch and won a World Series, in favor of Mark Shapiro, whose team couldn't catch a fly ball against the awful Royals/couldn't beat Lou Piniella's then-awful Devil Rays/couldn't beat the Sox B-squad in their own ballpark, and ultimately missed the postseason entirely.

Way to go, sportswriters!

I hope Shapiro looks at his 2005 GM of the Year award the way Jethro Tull feels about their 1989 Heavy Metal Grammy.

kingpin_rcs
10-01-2008, 12:54 AM
The Sox were good from 1990 - 1994 (The 'Good Guys Wear Black' era). I believe they were the best team in baseball in 1994 but greed put the kibosh on that.

They were also very good in the 60's but that is before my time. Who knows what they may have done if they had the wild card back then. In those days it was two leagues, no divisions two first place teams go straight to the World Series. Crazy by today's standards.

rustysurf83
10-01-2008, 01:00 AM

I was wearing my 05 WS Shirt today and starting looking at the roster names; of the 25 guys on the shirt...SIX are still here. If this team can do anything in the playoffs that is a damn impressive turnaround for a GM.

PennStater98r
10-01-2008, 09:58 AM

No offense dick, but I think that those who have been saying this are just star struck by the media and not thinking correctly.

Manager of the Year - Joe Maddon - no doubt.

GM of the year - KW does the following - Get's Ramirez from Cuba, signs Linebrink and Dotel, trades for Cabrera, sign Uribe (which with 20/20 was huge), trades for Swisher, trades for Griffey, TRADES FOR QUENTIN. These are all things that a GM does...

Tampa - traded away Young for Garza and signed Percival and Dan Wheeler. What else did they do?

esbrechtel
10-01-2008, 10:04 AM
I was wearing my 05 WS Shirt today and starting looking at the roster names; of the 25 guys on the shirt...SIX are still here. If this team can do anything in the playoffs that is a damn impressive turnaround for a GM.

I agree 100%, I know KW gets alot of crap on these boards but he is a smart guy...

Chez
10-01-2008, 10:05 AM
What I love about Kenny is that he brings a fan's passion to his job. He understands what it's like to be a Sox fan in a Cubs town and embraces, if not embodies, that "chip on your shoulder" mentality. He's not just an empty suit. And as others have already pointed out, he's also made some great moves to upgrade the roster!

Lip Man 1
10-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Kenny will get consideration but the kid (literally) in Tampa wins it.

Lip

asindc
10-01-2008, 12:16 PM
KW should have won it in 2005, and he should win it this year. To rebound from last year, mostly based on moves he made this year, is quite remarkable. I know 29 other teams that wished they had TCQ, Gavin, Danks, Alexei, and Linebrink. How many other teams wished they had Bartlett, Garza, and Cliff Floyd?

khan
10-01-2008, 12:59 PM
KW should have won it in 2005, and he should win it this year. To rebound from last year, mostly based on moves he made this year, is quite remarkable. I know 29 other teams that wished they had TCQ, Gavin, Danks, Alexei, and Linebrink. How many other teams wished they had Bartlett, Garza, and Cliff Floyd?

I'm happy with the job KW has done. I'm happy that our SOX are AL Central Champs. But I don't think that KW should be Executive of the Year.

Looking at the bolded part of your post, exactly WHAT moves did he make DURING the season? I think you're confusing moves made BEFORE this year with moves made DURING the year.

During the offseason, KW is a great GM, and he's well-documented in this regard: Quentin, A. Ramirez, Floyd, et. al.

But DURING the season, KW tends to **** his pants:

Griffey, Jr instead of say, a Paul Byrd or other average veteran 5th starter type? Without looking at the stats, I'm guessing that Byrd has performed better than Broadway/Richard/Carrasco-as-a-5th-SP since the trade deadline. I'm also guessing that having an actual 5th starter would have helped moreso than Vazquez's ~7.10 ERA when going on short rest. Moreover, it remains to be seen what the additional IP will do to the rotation in the playoffs.

Horacio Ramirez? Does KW realize that there are MLB teams other than KC that have/will trade RPs?

To me, if there was an "Executive of The Offseason Award," KW wins it in this and in many other offseasons. But to my mind, an Executive of The Year still has work to do DURING the season. Other GMs get it done DURING the season, whether it be huge deals [C.C. Sabathia, Rich Harden, Manny Ramirez etc...] to smaller deals that can help their teams.

For some reason, White Sox Nation seems to be content with KW adding yet another slow, old DH-type for CF. Or other deals that make little sense for the way the team is built. I think KW can do better DURING the season. And I think that there are other GMs that HAVE done more for their teams than KW has done DURING this season.

jabrch
10-01-2008, 01:05 PM
He certainly deserves consideration... He's made tons of great moves to position this team to win.

Shame we didn't know Jose and CQ/JC were going to go down - KW might have been more active looking at a 6th starter or a 4th OF/IF.

Either way - KW has done a nice job turning a 70 win team into a division winner almost entirely in an offseason.

asindc
10-01-2008, 08:53 PM
I'm happy with the job KW has done. I'm happy that our SOX are AL Central Champs. But I don't think that KW should be Executive of the Year.

Looking at the bolded part of your post, exactly WHAT moves did he make DURING the season? I think you're confusing moves made BEFORE this year with moves made DURING the year.

During the offseason, KW is a great GM, and he's well-documented in this regard: Quentin, A. Ramirez, Floyd, et. al.

But DURING the season, KW tends to **** his pants:

Griffey, Jr instead of say, a Paul Byrd or other average veteran 5th starter type? Without looking at the stats, I'm guessing that Byrd has performed better than Broadway/Richard/Carrasco-as-a-5th-SP since the trade deadline. I'm also guessing that having an actual 5th starter would have helped moreso than Vazquez's ~7.10 ERA when going on short rest. Moreover, it remains to be seen what the additional IP will do to the rotation in the playoffs.

Horacio Ramirez? Does KW realize that there are MLB teams other than KC that have/will trade RPs?

To me, if there was an "Executive of The Offseason Award," KW wins it in this and in many other offseasons. But to my mind, an Executive of The Year still has work to do DURING the season. Other GMs get it done DURING the season, whether it be huge deals [C.C. Sabathia, Rich Harden, Manny Ramirez etc...] to smaller deals that can help their teams.

For some reason, White Sox Nation seems to be content with KW adding yet another slow, old DH-type for CF. Or other deals that make little sense for the way the team is built. I think KW can do better DURING the season. And I think that there are other GMs that HAVE done more for their teams than KW has done DURING this season.

No confusion here. An executive's job for any season, IMO, starts as soon as the previous season is over. And as I recall reading somewhere, the Sox put in a bid for Byrd but it was blocked by Minny. Could be wrong about that, though.

And what exactly makes you think KW, or anyone in Sox Country for that matter, is content with adding yet another slow, old DH-type for CF? It's amazing how many times someone suggests that the product seen on the field is exactly what KW, Ozzie, or the fans planned or want.:rolleyes:

khan
10-02-2008, 11:51 AM
No confusion here. An executive's job for any season, IMO, starts as soon as the previous season is over.
Agreed. But an executive's job does not END when Opening Day comes around. And this is the part of the equation [in my estimation, anyway] that KW has not done as well as during the offseason.

And as I recall reading somewhere, the Sox put in a bid for Byrd but it was blocked by Minny. Could be wrong about that, though.
To my recollection, it was a move for Washburn from seattle. When Byrd was moved, the Sox had temporarily fallen behind the Twinkies. I too could be wrong about that.

And what exactly makes you think KW, or anyone in Sox Country for that matter, is content with adding yet another slow, old DH-type for CF? It's amazing how many times someone suggests that the product seen on the field is exactly what KW, Ozzie, or the fans planned or want.
Because this is EXACTLY what KW did. He went out and got another slow, old DH-type for CF instead of an arm or two. Just off the top of my head, BESIDES Byrd, D. Marte was available, and C. Bradford was available. To my mind, either of these three would help more than yet another old, slow DH-type.

In either case, LET'S GET A WIN TODAY!

Chicken Dinner
10-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Kenny will get consideration but the kid (literally) in Tampa wins it.

Lip

Got that right!

hawkjt
10-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Shapiro of Cleveland said he was not going to trade Byrd within the division...period.
I think it is ridiculous to judge an Exec on mid-season trades. Those are emergency moves that are largely dictated by waiver blockage and relinquishing talented youngsters for overrated vets. I am glad that Kenny did not give away the farm in July when he has no leverage.

The real work is done in the offseason which is where even Phil Rogers today admitted that kenny the gambler has come up a winner.

No doubt that Kenny has to be considered for this award. Alexei and Carlos alone are two long term impact players for little or nothing.

hi im skot
10-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Agreed. But an executive's job does not END when Opening Day comes around. And this is the part of the equation [in my estimation, anyway] that KW has not done as well as during the offseason.

To my recollection, it was a move for Washburn from seattle. When Byrd was moved, the Sox had temporarily fallen behind the Twinkies. I too could be wrong about that.

Because this is EXACTLY what KW did. He went out and got another slow, old DH-type for CF instead of an arm or two. Just off the top of my head, BESIDES Byrd, D. Marte was available, and C. Bradford was available. To my mind, either of these three would help more than yet another old, slow DH-type.

In either case, LET'S GET A WIN TODAY!

Damaso Marte?!

:rolling:

soxfanatlanta
10-02-2008, 12:11 PM
No doubt the Rays are the story of the year, but KW should get consideration. However, I think he's the type of GM who would rather see another ring then a collective pat on the back and a, "atta boy"

Just sayin'

NoNeckEra
10-02-2008, 12:41 PM
What I love about Kenny is that he brings a fan's passion to his job. He understands what it's like to be a Sox fan in a Cubs town and embraces, if not embodies, that "chip on your shoulder" mentality. He's not just an empty suit. And as others have already pointed out, he's also made some great moves to upgrade the roster!
My thoughts, exactly.
But with the Sox' payroll, we should be in the division race every year. Let's face it, a lot of moves just don't work out, and one of our biggest problems is being saddled with large long term contracts for guys that just don't fit anymore.

Sox4ever77
10-02-2008, 12:46 PM
My thoughts, exactly.
But with the Sox' payroll, we should be in the division race every year. Let's face it, a lot of moves just don't work out, and one of our biggest problems is being saddled with large long term contracts for guys that just don't fit anymore.

But looking back when those contracts were signed, there would have been an bitch fest if PK and Jose weren't resigned.

khan
10-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Damaso Marte?!

:rolling:

I hear what you're saying, but I'd still take him over yet another old, slow DH-type for CF. Or for THAT matter, over H. Ramirez.

EDIT: And even at that, Chad Bradford would have helped us get through Linebrink's injury issues. We'll get to see him pitch, but for the other team. And yes, I know that Bradford may or may not have been willing to come back.

jabrch
10-02-2008, 12:59 PM
My thoughts, exactly.

Really? I can't think of any contracts we have that are large and long term. Is there anyone under contract for more than 3 years after this at a price that is considered large?

And salary does not necesarily put you in a division race. The Tigers and Yanks showed us that this year.

With this payroll, I agree we should contend more often than not. Since it was raised to this level in 2005, we have won a WS, made the playoffs twice, and had a 90 win team that was in the race most of the year. That's not a bad record. Last year stunk. But if you look at it, it appears as if it were an anomoly, not the norm. If we advance deep into the post season this year, it wouldn't surprise me to see the payroll expended or KW make a few committments this offseason.

I have my eyes on Rafael Furcal. If you get him, you can deal with Uribe being the weakest link and maybe you can deal with Swisher in CF if he gets his act together?

khan
10-02-2008, 01:02 PM
I have my eyes on Rafael Furcal. If you get him, you can deal with Uribe being the weakest link and maybe you can deal with Swisher in CF if he gets his act together?

Now that's an interesting idea... I don't know if I like it or not, given his injuries and salary, but it's an interesting idea.