PDA

View Full Version : Distance on Thome Homerun?

BRDSR
09-30-2008, 10:55 PM
Has anybody heard an estimate on Thome's homerun? I don't think I've ever seen a ball hit up there. 450+ feet, right?

Regardless, Thome and Griffey are badasses. Had to plug in my iPod so I can get a little Journey going tonight.

BigP50
09-30-2008, 10:55 PM

BRDSR
09-30-2008, 10:57 PM

Awesome.

BleacherBandit
09-30-2008, 10:58 PM
Haha, That was a bomb. If we were only going to score one run on one homerun, then it would be proper for it to go that far!

chopperjc
09-30-2008, 11:01 PM
It looked like a Titleist!

whitesox901
09-30-2008, 11:06 PM
awsome power by an awsome man gooooo sox!

itsnotrequired
10-01-2008, 12:06 AM
he hit one deeper than that in the same spot already this season. also, he is awesome.

EuroSox35
10-01-2008, 12:09 AM
When he hit it I couldn't get a feel for it since I was busy jumping around like crazy. It really hit how bad he killed it when they showed the angle of the area near the statues. Seeing all those people running and jumping in that area was amazing. The whole crowd. AWESOME

soxinem1
10-01-2008, 12:10 AM

From my RF seats, it sure looked like that. Or a 747 on take off!!!

sox1970
10-01-2008, 12:29 AM
Torii would have caught it.

A.T. Money
10-01-2008, 12:32 AM
He hit a line drive into the camera area in the first week of June. It was right before Dog Day. There is a concession stand there, and the worker said it hit the ground, and bounced up and hit the awning of the concession stand and scared the workers to death. This one was murdered high up the air and carried. They were probably about the same distance. The ball nearly disappeared in the air.

Brian26
10-01-2008, 12:35 AM
he hit one deeper than that in the same spot already this season. also, he is awesome.

They flashed the distances up on the board during the game. The other one was 464-ft.

itsnotrequired
10-01-2008, 12:36 AM
They flashed the distances up on the board during the game. The other one was 464-ft.

700 feet

hawkjt
10-01-2008, 12:39 AM
That had to be one of the most beautiful homers those sox fans have ever seen in person. Truly majestic.

JermaineDye05
10-01-2008, 12:47 AM

temporary thread hijack....

George: The sea was angry that day my friends. Like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli. I got about 50 feet out when suddenly the great beast appeared before me. I tell you he was 10 stories high if he was a foot! As if sensing my presence he let out a great bellow. I said "Easy, big fella!". And then, as I watched him struggling, I realized that something was obstructing it's breathing. From where I was standing I could see directly into the eye of the great fish...

Jerry: Mammal.

George: Whatever.

Kramer: Well what did you do next?

George: Well then, from out of nowhere, a huge title wave lifted me, tossed me like a cork and I found myself right on top of him, face-to-face with the blow hole. I could barely see from the waves crashing down upon me, but I knew something was there. So I reached my hand in, felt around, and pulled out the obstruction....

http://i.cnn.net/money/galleries/2007/moneymag/0708/gallery.value_play.moneymag/images/golf_ball.jpg

Kramer: What is that, a Titleist?....a hole in one eh?

Sorry I couldn't resist :D:

Daver
10-01-2008, 12:52 AM
It cleared the fence.

UofCSoxFan
10-01-2008, 12:52 AM
I'll let you know when it actually lands.

In all seriousness, I was in the Right/Centerfield stands and am usually pretty good about telling when balls are gone. When Thome first hit it, I thought he popped it straight up, it was that high. By the time it left the infield and was still going up are starting yelling, knowing it was gone. I've never seen a ball hit that far in person.

DeadMoney
10-01-2008, 01:31 AM
By the time it left the infield and was still going up are starting yelling, knowing it was gone. I've never seen a ball hit that far in person.

I agree. Off the bat (from 158), I didn't know if it would get out ... boy was I wrong. That ball was HAMMERED (straight into the air) ... what a blast.

After seeing the replay (a few times), you could see that the ball cleared the batter's eye screen with ease ... Thank You Mr. Incredble.

IronFisk
10-01-2008, 01:40 AM
It cleared the fence.

understatement.

IlliniSox4Life
10-01-2008, 03:00 AM
He hit a line drive into the camera area in the first week of June. It was right before Dog Day. There is a concession stand there, and the worker said it hit the ground, and bounced up and hit the awning of the concession stand and scared the workers to death. This one was murdered high up the air and carried. They were probably about the same distance. The ball nearly disappeared in the air.

I'll let you know when it actually lands.

In all seriousness, I was in the Right/Centerfield stands and am usually pretty good about telling when balls are gone. When Thome first hit it, I thought he popped it straight up, it was that high. By the time it left the infield and was still going up are starting yelling, knowing it was gone. I've never seen a ball hit that far in person.

I saw both home runs in person. The first one was a line drive. It was impressive because it barely hit its peak and then just started coming down as it cleared the fence. The one tonight though, I thought it was a pop out too. It was HIGH and I figured a warning track shot. It just kept going higher and further. The first one he made better contact on, but this one I think seemed more impressive. Honestly there was a moment when I was pissed right as he hit it because I thought it was another deep fly out. Then a fraction of a second later I couldn't believe how hard he hit the damn ball.

GregO23
10-01-2008, 03:09 AM
Does anyone know how far Alexei's slam went ?