PDA

View Full Version : Javy is the starting pitcher of game 1

Navarro's Talent
09-30-2008, 10:50 PM
according to Comcast Sports Net, Ozzie just said it.

cleanwsox
09-30-2008, 10:52 PM

On full rest, let's see how it goes. I'm all for it.

anewman35
09-30-2008, 10:52 PM

Back on normal rest, maybe he'll be ok. But Ozzie should have a quick hook just in case.

guillensdisciple
09-30-2008, 10:53 PM
As much as I have hated him of late I believe he will shut the Rays down.

The Sox will beat the rays, they will prove everyone wrong again!

TO THE WORLD SERIES!!!!

Madvora
On full rest, let's see how it goes. I'm all for it.
Yeah, if he struggles he won't be back to pitch a second game in that series.

drewcifer
Is what it is. What choice do you have?

Extra game, the rest have been 3 days already.

At least Danks went 8 tonight and hopefully Ozzie is ready to yank him in 4-5 if he shows trend.

Lip Man 1
09-30-2008, 10:54 PM
True what choice do they have? Clayton Richard???

Seriously though, Vazquez does have good numbers against the Rays this season.

Lip

BigP50
09-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Javy 12-16:scratch:

Frater Perdurabo
09-30-2008, 10:56 PM
Dan Roan (WGN) just reported that Buehrle would get the call in Game 1.

Take it for what it's worth.

captainclutch24
09-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Buerhle will not pitch on two days rest

kitekrazy
09-30-2008, 10:57 PM
He's 1-1 there. He's had 2 typical Javy implosion starts. Before that Many of his starts were very good. He just didn't geet any run support.

NDSox12
09-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Buerhle will not pitch on two days rest

Buehrle hasn't pitched since Sunday :scratch:

Madvora
09-30-2008, 10:59 PM
True what choice do they have? Clayton Richard???

Seriously though, Vazquez does have good numbers against the Rays this season.

Lip
That's funny because Hawk was saying yesterday that Richard would be his choice.

Law11
09-30-2008, 11:00 PM
Its a new season. Lets do THIS!

drewcifer
09-30-2008, 11:01 PM
Dan Roan (WGN) just reported that Buehrle would get the call in Game 1.

Take it for what it's worth.

I would love it to be true.

I don't want to see Javy until necessary.

cleanwsox
09-30-2008, 11:03 PM
Its a new season. Lets do THIS!

Yup, all the bad feelings about Javy are out the door. Pitch good, and you are loved in Chicago. Let's do this.

doublem23
09-30-2008, 11:09 PM

I'd rather seen Mark on full rest. Honestly, they don't need to win both games in Tampa. If they can sneak out with just one, we're sitting very, very pretty.

MeteorsSox4367
09-30-2008, 11:20 PM

I'd rather not see Javy until spring training. Hopefully, he can pitch well against Tampa Bay.

jshanahanjr
09-30-2008, 11:22 PM
He's due to pitch a gem with the way his last 3 starts have gone.

Moses_Scurry
09-30-2008, 11:25 PM
I like it. Game 1 isn't as important as game 2 in my opinion. I'd rather have Buerhle on normal rest for game two. If a short rest Buehrle blows game 1, game 2 becomes must-win, and you almost have to use Vazquez for that one. Get them all on normal rest. It's the key to victory. Hopefully Vazquez can redeem himself for a pretty horrid couple weeks.

White City
09-30-2008, 11:27 PM
I'll say this: If Javy raises his game like the other three starters did in the last three days, and if the last outings by Thornton, Linebrink and Jenks are an indication of where they are now, then decent offense and good defense from the position players should be enough to take us DEEP in these playoffs. Javy, you are the key -- earn your paycheck!

gobears1987
09-30-2008, 11:36 PM
I'd personally skip Javy during the entire ALDS if I can get away with it. Buehrle should go on 3 days rest. Some of his best starts have been on 3 days rest this year. I just have no faith in Javy at this point.

SoxSpeed22
09-30-2008, 11:38 PM
Good luck Javy.

ILuvThatDuck
09-30-2008, 11:41 PM
Did the Sox win tonite?

SpartanSoxFan
09-30-2008, 11:55 PM
Logic would suggest that Javy is going to get his brains beat in again. He doesn't pitch well in domes. He caves mentally in high-pressure situations.

That said, this is the playoffs and you throw all that **** out of the window. Javy, you get your head out of your ass and pitch a gem Thursday, all will be forgiven.

WhiteSox5187
10-01-2008, 12:00 AM
I'd personally skip Javy during the entire ALDS if I can get away with it. Buehrle should go on 3 days rest. Some of his best starts have been on 3 days rest this year. I just have no faith in Javy at this point.
Buerhle's done enough to get us here, I'd take my chance with Javy in game one and have Richard ready to go at the first sign of trouble. Buerhle goes on full rest in game two. As was said before if we can take just one in Tampa (mighty big if), we're in damn good shape. Javy is due for a good outting.

Tragg
10-01-2008, 12:01 AM
Let him start.
Just get the bullpen ready.
On a side note - no AAA pitchers during this 3 game win streak. Coincidence?

hawkjt
10-01-2008, 12:25 AM
Javy has to go Thursday. If he comes thru it sets up our starters perfectly. Javy and MB on normal rest and then Gavin and Johnny on normal plus one rest at home, then finally MB back for game 5 on full rest next wednesday. If it goes 4, you have MB and Javy set to start the next series with plenty of rest. It is all hinged on Javy giving us 7 strong on Thursday.

skobabe8
10-01-2008, 12:40 AM
I want Clayton.

UofCSoxFan
10-01-2008, 12:48 AM
I'd prefer MB but Javy on full rest may be the better option. If we go out there and win that one somehow, we'd be sitting pretty going into game 2. MB is a horse but we've been pushing him real hard lately. Hopefully we'll just put up a ton like we did against Boston in 2005.

sox1970
10-01-2008, 01:19 AM
Game 1- Vazquez vs Shields
Game 2- Buehrle vs Kazmir
Game 3- Floyd vs Garza
Game 4- Danks vs Sonnanstine

gf2020
10-01-2008, 01:27 AM
Game 3- Floyd vs Garza
Is that what you want or is that what's been announced? Couldn't Danks pitch game 3 if Ozzie thought that was better for some reason?

sox1970
10-01-2008, 01:30 AM
Is that what you want or is that what's been announced? Couldn't Danks pitch game 3 if Ozzie thought that was better for some reason?

I suppose they could flip Floyd and Danks, but I don't see a big reason to change their order. They're both coming off great games.

LoveYourSuit
10-01-2008, 01:30 AM
It's a no-brainer. I don't know why all the questioning and shock. Who can Ozzie pull out of his ass to start, It's Javy's turn and that's the right choice. You can't ride Buehrle on 3 days and expect him not to burn out. Besides, Kazmir is the opponent I fear and Javy is not facing him.

I was in Tampa to watch Javy lose a a gem to Kazmir 3-0 I believe was the final score. Javy struck out like 10-12.

Javy will step up.

drewcifer
10-01-2008, 01:34 AM
Game 3- Floyd vs Garza

This isn't so bad. We can do this. Buehrle on Kazmir is the best we can ask for.

IronFisk
10-01-2008, 01:37 AM
We're doomed.

chisoxfanatic
10-01-2008, 01:37 AM
So, if this goes 5 games, we'll be relying on Vazquez to get it done? I hope this goes less.

hawkjt
10-01-2008, 01:40 AM
Game five is not til wednesday...MB could go that nite on full rest.
It sets up as good as the Sox could possibly expect out of this incredibly close finish. Can you believe it...dead tied after 162 and then 1-0 in 163. This has to be a very bitter defeat for the Twins. ....so sad.

drewcifer
10-01-2008, 01:44 AM
Game five is not til wednesday...MB could go that nite on full rest.
It sets up as good as the Sox could possibly expect out of this incredibly close finish. Can you believe it...dead tied after 162 and then 1-0 in 163. This has to be a very bitter defeat for the Twins. ....so sad.

I'm heart broken.

RockJock07
10-01-2008, 02:47 AM
Game 3- Floyd vs Garza

To be honest, If the Sox had clinched early how would the rotation differ? Not to much, Probably MB in Game 1 but other than that, not much different.

Like I said in another thread, I would rather pitch Javy in Game 1 than any other game. If Javy can get it done and the Sox win both games in Tampa, I'd rather have Gavin go in the clincher than Javy.

With all this said, I don't think this is a slam dunk for the Rays If we come home 1-1 I like our chances to clinch here. Come home 2-0 and we are making reservations for LAA.

That's a long way of saying, I like this pitching rotation.

GregO23
10-01-2008, 03:02 AM
Javy will pitch a gem. Hes due. I love this decsion!!

CHISOXFAN13
10-01-2008, 03:08 AM
So, if this goes 5 games, we'll be relying on Vazquez to get it done? I hope this goes less.

Game five would be Oct. 8. MB would be on regular rest, so OG would certainly have some choices.

EuroSox35
10-01-2008, 03:28 AM
I honestly don't mind it. His numbers are better on turf, if that helps. My bigger worry is our offense solving Shields. Our pitching overall has been big enough these 3 games, I don't know if I could ask them for another 1-0 type game

EuroSox35
10-01-2008, 03:29 AM
It's a no-brainer. I don't know why all the questioning and shock. Who can Ozzie pull out of his ass to start, It's Javy's turn and that's the right choice. You can't ride Buehrle on 3 days and expect him not to burn out. Besides, Kazmir is the opponent I fear and Javy is not facing him.

I was in Tampa to watch Javy lose a a gem to Kazmir 3-0 I believe was the final score. Javy struck out like 10-12.

Javy will step up.

Agreed. If anyone saw Buehrle's interview on WGN during the rain delay, he said he was REALLY feeling the effects of less rest the next day. Probably not a trend we want to continue. Meanwhile, I don't see how people could seriously suggest Richard...

WSox597
10-01-2008, 07:06 AM
I didn't hear it myself, but my wife said somebody on tv said MB would start game 1.

I believe it channel five news WAY early this morning. I was semi-awake at the time due to working OT.

johnr1note
10-01-2008, 07:14 AM
I don't like this. Javy has proven he's worthless in the big game situations.

harwar
10-01-2008, 07:31 AM
After what i have witnessed the last three days,i fully expect Javy to have his command and control and his great stuff ..
He may be the weakest individual on the starting staff but he has seen the same thing we have and i believe that it will infect him and he will pitch the game of his life ..

turners56
10-01-2008, 08:09 AM

He did pitch well there earlier in the year. 7 innings of 2 run ball I think.

KyWhiSoxFan
10-01-2008, 08:12 AM
I hate Javy, particularly in big games. Hope he comes through for the first time in his life. I would have him on a very short leash. I would not want to see him go beyond 5 innings if it is a close game. He's just terrible the third time through the lineup.

itsnotrequired
10-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Javy has five career starts in Tropicana. Total line:

33.1 IP, 34 H, 14 ER, 9 BB, 30 K, 4 HR 3.78 ERA

but his last three starts have been awesome

20.1 IP, 18 H, 5 ER, 6 BB, 24 K, 1 HR 2.21 ERA

:shrug:

jenn2080
10-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Someone should let him know this is the playoffs though.

Hitmen77
10-01-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm not comfortable with "Big Game" Javy going in Game 1, but there really isn't any other reasonable option. He'll be pitching on 4 day rest and after that, so will the rest of our pitchers.

Hawk mentioned throwing Clayton Richard in game 1 because he wants us to throw lefties vs. Tampa, but no way will the Sox put him out there as a Game 1 starter.

I just hope the pitchers keep up what they've been doing the last 3 games because our offense has been terrible....and I don't expect them to all of a sudden bust out against Tampa's solid arms.

Someone should let him know this is the playoffs though.

Actually, if someone could somehow convince Javy that we're in 4th place, we're out of the race, and that this game has absolutely no meaning - maybe he'll go out and throw a no-hitter. Hypnosis, anyone? :redneck

SOXPHILE
10-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Like others are saying, there's no other option than Vazquez for game 1. You can't use #56 on 3 days rest for the second straight time, and of course, Floyd and Danks are out, they just pitched. What's good is, the bullpen is fully rested, and they would also have an extra guy to choose from, 7 instead of the usual 6, so if Javy needs to get pulled by the 4th inning, all is not lost.

Bob G
10-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Hopefully Javy will be inspired by the other starters especially by Floyd and Danks. Ozzie needs to be ready with the bullpen as soon as any trouble flares up though.

I like the fact all of the baseball "experts" are picking the Rays reminds me of '05 when the Red Sox were the big favorites...

palehozenychicty
10-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Hopefully Javy will be inspired by the other starters especially by Floyd and Danks. Ozzie needs to be ready with the bullpen as soon as any trouble flares up though.

I like the fact all of the baseball "experts" are picking the Rays reminds me of '05 when the Red Sox were the big favorites...

The Rays deserve everything they get this year. They've been tremendous since February, when Gomes ran over Duncan. But if they leave the Trop tied, we got them right where we want them.

russ99
10-01-2008, 10:49 AM

Also, I think the interlude between him and A.J. on Saturday will get him going. The playoffs are a different animal than a regular season game.

I have a lot more confidence in Javy tomorrow than in our hitters ability to score runs outside of an occasional homer. The last 3 days have done nothing to change that.

Flight #24
10-01-2008, 11:30 AM
It's really a choice between Buehrle AND Floyd on 3 days rest (again) or Javy. Once you get to Javy pitching at least one of games 1/2, then it makes absolute sense for it to be game 1 with Buehrle going on full rest for gm2, giving Floyd & Danks 5 days rest each for games 3 and if necessary 4.

Plus, IMO game 1, on the road, is the least stressful of the games. If you lose gm1, game 2 becomes huge, but going into game 1 you really think you only need 1 of the first 2 on the road and you have your ace going on full rest for gm2 anyway. For that reason, and because I'm hoping making the playoffs is a load off on the team (ala 2005 after CLE lost to KC), Javy can settle down and pitch like he did early in the season.

Prediction: Sox win the first 2, lose gm3, Danks clinches on Monday.

kitekrazy
10-01-2008, 12:17 PM
I have a lot more confidence in Javy tomorrow than in our hitters ability to score runs outside of an occasional homer. The last 3 days have done nothing to change that.

I can't even remember watching Javy pitch when the lineup gave him a lead to work with, 3 runs anyway.

NLaloosh
10-01-2008, 02:17 PM
They have no choice. Javy, Buehrle, Floyd, Danks and then choice of Javy/Buehrle.

I see the series going 5 games.

NLaloosh
10-01-2008, 02:18 PM

Agreed.

PaleHoser
10-01-2008, 03:41 PM
I think Ozzie had too much champagne before he made his announcement.

I think Game 1 of any series helps set the tone for the entire series. Also, a split in the first two games gives the Sox home field advantage. I want my horse going in Game 1, and I think it should be Buehrle.