PDA

View Full Version : Greg Walker and Alexei

Madvora
09-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Here's something funny I just heard. I just watched the White Sox / Twins preview video they have on ESPN. They are talking to Buster Olney about Alexei Ramirez.
Anyway, he says that he talked to Greg Walker about Ramirez yesterday and Walker said that Alexei's swing looked terrible in the beginning of the season, but Walker just decided to leave him alone and let him work it out for himself.

Is it a coincidence that Alexei is hitting the team best .290 after avoiding Walker's influence?
I'd be curious to know how much Walker and Quentin worked together this year.

eriqjaffe
09-30-2008, 02:47 PM
"You'll Figure It Out: The Greg Walker Method to Successful Coaching"

voodoochile
09-30-2008, 02:56 PM
This is old news.

What happened is the first few AB, Alexei had a big leg lift/kick he was using. Walk new it would hurt him if he continued to use it at this level, but decided to wait and see if the kid would learn on his own before jumping in.

After a few AB, the kick/lift was half and it slowly went down until he reached a point he could actually hit with.

I'd actually say that's the sign of a good coach in general. Before you jump in, you wait to see how much the potential pupil can learn on their own then adjust when necessary.

Not saying Walk is a great hitting coach, but IMO, this example actually says good things about his coaching style.

TDog
09-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Here's something funny I just heard. I just watched the White Sox / Twins preview video they have on ESPN. They are talking to Buster Olney about Alexei Ramirez.
Anyway, he says that he talked to Greg Walker about Ramirez yesterday and Walker said that Alexei's swing looked terrible in the beginning of the season, but Walker just decided to leave him alone and let him work it out for himself.

Is it a coincidence that Alexei is hitting the team best .290 after avoiding Walker's influence?
I'd be curious to know how much Walker and Quentin worked together this year.

You are reading too much into that comment. Walker didn't change Ramirez' approach to hitting, but that doesn't mean he ignored him. I watched batting practice when Ramirez was hitting less than .200 and when Ramirez was hitting over .300, and on both occasions I watched Walker working with him.

Madvora
09-30-2008, 03:09 PM
You are reading too much into that comment. Walker didn't change Ramirez' approach to hitting, but that doesn't mean he ignored him. I watched batting practice when Ramirez was hitting less than .200 and when Ramirez was hitting over .300, and on both occasions I watched Walker working with him.
I never thought Walker ignored him. The sample size is too small, but I'd like to see how well hitters perform when Walker does work with the hitter versus when Walker doesn't. He's been working with a lot of guys on this team and the hitting has been terrible this year, along with other years.
Obviously there are a billion factors involved in all of this, but it's interesting.

jabrch
09-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Hey - this is new...

Walker Sucks! Wow - great idea.

Is there a game going on tonight?