PDA

View Full Version : Most Electric Atmosphere Ever???

gosox83
09-30-2008, 02:05 PM
Alright, I'll be there tonight like a madman rooting for the Sox to win.

I am out here in NW Indiana, so I do not get to a ton of games but I want to give my top 4 most electric moments ever at New Comiskey/Cell

REMEMBER THESE ARE ONLY GAMES I HAVE BEEN TO!!

Not even close.....Crede's walkoff double after the drop third strike on AJ game 2 of the ALCS.....Everyone was just hugging each other and singing Lets Go Go Go White Sox. AWESOME!

September 1st 2000.....Sox trail the Angels in the 8th inning 8 - 3....they get some runs in the bottom of the 8th and with 2 outs they are down by 1 with runners on 2nd and 3rd, and Jose Valentin (injured at the time) pinch hits and bloops one to centerfield to take the 9-8 lead. Foulke comes in a shuts the door. Total strangers hugging each other going balistic.

This year. June. AJ hits a walk off homerun leading off the bottom of the tenth to beat the Indians in the pouring rain. I swear the game was going to be canceled if he makes an out or anything but a walk off.

Tonight of course!!!:smile:

Anyone Else have some memorable others???

chisoxfanatic
09-30-2008, 02:08 PM

Not even close.....Crede's walkoff double after the drop third strike on AJ game 2 of the ALCS.....Everyone was just hugging each other and singing Lets Go Go Go White Sox. AWESOME!

I was at Game 2 of the 2005 ALCS too; but, I would say Comiskey was louder after Tadahito's 3-run shot in the 5th inning of Game 2 of the ALDS. I've never heard the place as loud as the entire 2nd half of that game following the home run to the final out recorded by Bobby Jenks.

anewman35
09-30-2008, 02:11 PM
I was at Game 2 of the 2005 ALCS too; but, I would say Comiskey was louder after Tadahito's 3-run shot in the 5th inning of Game 2 of the ALDS. I've never heard the place as loud as the entire 2nd half of that game following the home run to the final out recorded by Bobby Jenks.

I can't imagine it was ever louder than after Paulie's grand slam or Podsednik's walk-off in the World Series. It was so loud that you almost couldn't hear it at all, if that makes any sense.

chisoxfanatic
09-30-2008, 02:12 PM
I can't imagine it was ever louder than after Paulie's grand slam or Podsednik's walk-off in the World Series. It was so loud that you almost couldn't hear it at all, if that makes any sense.
That, I wouldn't know. I was inside Puffers hugging and high-fiving about 120 Sox fans that were stuffed inside that place.

BRDSR
09-30-2008, 02:12 PM
1. Konerko's Grand Slam

2. Podsednik's Walk-Off

Same game, but I think those (in that order) were the two most electric moments in the history of New Comiskey/Cell.

hawkjt
09-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Game 1 for the World Series has to be up there.
But tonite will have more tension,more drama than any sox game in my memory...win or die trying. Last nite was the appetizer...tonite is the the main course.

Marqhead
09-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Game 2 of the ALDS, right after the Gooch's 3 run bomb. The rest of the game everyone was on their feet, and it was particularly loud in the right field seats.

This is from my experience, I would have to imagine the WS games were a bit better, but nothing comes close to this for me.

northsideirish
09-30-2008, 02:15 PM
1. Konerko's Grand Slam

2. Podsednik's Walk-Off

Same game, but I think those (in that order) were the two most electric moments in the history of New Comiskey/Cell.

Two of my favorite memories in life not related to my two kids. I still get goosebumps...

DaveFeelsRight
09-30-2008, 02:16 PM
konerko's grand slam/podsednik's walk off. i was there

bruno1445
09-30-2008, 02:18 PM
A couple I have witnessed:

1. Game 2 WS05 -- PK and Pods HRs.

2. Gooch granny off Rich Hill after AJ/Barrett fight.

BRDSR
Two of my favorite memories in life not related to my two kids. I still get goosebumps...

Don't have kids so...they are my two favorite memories ever.

Okay, getting married is up there somewhere.

Mr.1Dog
:walkoff:

soxfan43
09-30-2008, 02:19 PM

I was there for that, it was nuts. Crede's homer vs cleveland late in the year of 2005 might have been louder. Pods and Paulies Game 2's are right up there as well.

jabrch
09-30-2008, 02:19 PM

Yeah - I would agree with that. Even though there were more suits in the crowd for the WS than the ALCS, that place was rocking. Paulie's GS was deafening.

stockonline2
09-30-2008, 02:24 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/images//2008/09/30/hDYEpoyn.jpghttp://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:void%28popWin%28%27/components/game/year_2008/month_09/day_29/gid_2008_09_29_detmlb_chamlb_1/av/fgallery.html%27,%27photogallery%27,690,600%29%29;

itsnotrequired
09-30-2008, 02:25 PM
the most electric atmosphere was when i ate a battery and sparks burst forth from my mouth hole

Mr.1Dog
09-30-2008, 02:26 PM
AJ's walk off against the Dumpster was great as well.

Stoky44
09-30-2008, 02:30 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned this date, but in my mind loudest the stadium ever got was on Sept 27, 1993. One of the greatest memories of White Sox for me.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/baseballs_best/mlb_bb_gamepage.jsp?story_page=bb_93reg_092793_sea cha

stockonline2
09-30-2008, 02:31 PM

Aren't you referring to the game at Wrigley in '06?

That was my favorite baseball moment that I saw in person before last night.

SOXPHILE
09-30-2008, 02:32 PM

What game was that ? AJ hit a 9th inning 3 run shot against Dempter at The Urinal on 7/1/06, that gave the Sox an 8-6 lead, but it wasn't a walk off because it was a road game.

Lip Man 1
09-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Five games immediately come to mind:

1. The famous "Dick Allen Taco Game" June 4, 1972. Allen hit the pinch hit three run walk off home run off Sparky Lyle to win the game 5-4. I was there for that one but read Chick Tanner's interview with WSI to find out what it was like sitting in the clubhouse with the walls shaking because the fans refused to leave Comiskey Park for 25 minutes after it ended! I have the audio of this complete game from WABC New York.

2. Late July 1977 game #1 of a DH vs. K.C. Chet Lemon's HR in the 10th ties the game then a few batters later Ralph Garr singles in Eric Soderholm to win it. Sox led by 6 1/2 games. Fans went crazy at Comiskey Park, starting chanting in unison "we're number one!" Lorn Brown completely lost it on the radio. I have the audio from this one.

3. The win over Seattle that gave the Sox the 83 Western Divisional crown. Remember the fans storming the field?

4. Late July 1991 when Robin Ventura hit the "walk off" grand slam to beat the Rangers 10-8 off "Goose" Gossage. The place lost its mind. Frank Thomas physically lifted Robin up off the ground on to his shoulder after he touched home plate. Hawk went crazy on TV. I have the video of this one

5. Game #2 of the 05 World Series when Podsednik hit the game winner of Brad Lidge.

There you go. By the way these aren't in any particular order.

Lip

Mr.1Dog
09-30-2008, 02:41 PM
:redface: I am referring to the game at The Urinal and you guys would be correct that it wasn't a walkoff.

Sell Jerry Sell!
09-30-2008, 02:50 PM
How about Carlos Lee's walk-off Slam against Courtney Duncan!

esbrechtel
09-30-2008, 02:53 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned this date, but in my mind loudest the stadium ever got was on Sept 27, 1993. One of the greatest memories of White Sox for me.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/baseballs_best/mlb_bb_gamepage.jsp?story_page=bb_93reg_092793_sea cha

I was 9 at the time and I still have the sun-times sports cover "the crowning BO-MENT" in a frame on my wall :D: I wasn't at the game but my parents let me stay up to watch it.

I have been to some exciting finishes when the crowd went crazy

Big Frank's first game back to the cell when Rob Mackowiak hit a 3 run shot in the bottom of the 8th and Pablo had the walk off bunt basehit

2005 ALDS game 1 the whole game was crazy

Swisher's 3 run bomb against the kitties earlier this year the place was rockin as well

Cubs-Sox bral in 06 when Iguchi hit the slam

I was also at wrigley to hear the sound of silence when AJ hit the three run homer in the top of the 9th

The astros sox game when Iguchi hit a slam in the 7th or 8th and a 3 run homer to tie it in the bottom of the 9th

Jim Thome's 500th

russ99
09-30-2008, 02:54 PM

Heck yeah dude.

Being there in person for that sure was special. First time I saw complete strangers hugging at a Sox game, but hopefully not the last. :D:

haganaga
09-30-2008, 03:02 PM
In 2005 I was fortunate to see AJ's walkoff against LA, Crede's against the Indians and Games 1 & 2 of the WS. Everytime I speak of Game 2 it's the same way Ralphie speaks of his BB gun in a Christmas Story.

"It was the greatest sporting event I had ever attended...or would ever attend."

beasly213
09-30-2008, 03:03 PM
Tadahito's Home run in game 2 of the ALDS hands down the loudest. The building shook it was so loud. Total strangers hugging and jumping in the rows.

Last night was pretty loud too for TCM slam but not quite as loud as game 2.

AnkleSox
09-30-2008, 03:05 PM

I was there for that one, and I agree. Tonight, I'll be working til 10.30 with no TVs, radios, or computers in sight :whiner:

MISoxfan
09-30-2008, 03:07 PM
As far as games I personally attended the second most electric atmosphere was game 1 of the ALDS. So many curtain calls.

Tadahito's homerun in the following game absolutely blew game 1 out of the water though.

btrain929
09-30-2008, 03:07 PM
Tadahito's Home run in game 2 of the ALDS hands down the loudest. The building shook it was so loud. Total strangers hugging and jumping in the rows.

Last night was pretty loud too for TCM slam but not quite as loud as game 2.

I think last night's loudness after TCM's slam ranks up there for crowds under 30,000. It was a light crowd because of it raining all day, but after that slam, and for the rest of the game, we were definitely making the 'Cell rock.

kingpin_rcs
09-30-2008, 03:08 PM

I was at this game, Bo Jackson's homer was amazing. We had a banner (Sox Clinch - YES!) and they showed it on the jumbotron. My friend took a great picture of the scoreboard with us and out banner on it. I blew it up and framed it. It's my favorite personal White Sox item.

eriqjaffe
09-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Most electric I've ever seen in person was Crede's slam against the Twins on opening day.

I can only imagine what the post-season atmosphere(s) must've been like.

BainesHOF
09-30-2008, 03:11 PM
2. Late July 1977 game #1 of a DH vs. K.C. Chet Lemon's HR in the 10th ties the game then a few batters later Ralph Garr singles in Eric Soderholm to win it. Sox led by 6 1/2 games. Fans went crazy at Comiskey Park, starting chanting in unison "we're number one!" Lorn Brown completely lost it on the radio. I have the audio from this one.

Having been there, I agree. Veeck sold as many standing-room-only tickets as he could sell, so more than 55,000 were packed into Comiskey. There were people everywhere. It was a comeback victory, too, that was helped when the Kansas City left fielder botched a ball and let it get by him. It was pure pandemonium in the place. I remember the ballpark literally shaking.

I was lucky enough to also see Bo Jackson's clinching home run, Konerko's and Pods' homers in Game 2 of the World Series, Tadahito's blast in the ALDS and the A.J. ALCS game. All were of course tremendous.

I was at the park yesterday too and would put Alexei's homer somewhere in that group. The buildup in the days preceding it and even the three-hour rain delay along with the downers of Floyd's error only served to heighten Alexei's blast. The crowds have been absolutely great the last two days. The fans who stuck it out yesterday made noise like it was a full ballpark.

UofCSoxFan
09-30-2008, 03:12 PM
Some of the best ones I've been to.

1. Game 1 of the ALCS. We got down early on a Garrett Anderson bomb but the place was still bumping all the way up to Crede's K against K Rod with 2 runners on in the bottem of the ninth. People were still chanting "Let's go White Sox" on the way out. I knew we were still going to take the series.

2. Bo Jackson's first home run game. I still remember how he said he wanted to dedicate his first hit after the comeback to his deceased mom and cast it in bronze on her grave. He hit a homer and the fan returned the ball to him.

3. Crede's walk-off to hold off Cleveland. This was the the famous ultra intense Hawk Harrelosn "Joeeeeeeeeeeeee Carrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeedeeeee" game.

4. Jose Valentin's walk-off against the Cubs in the bottom of the ninth after Corky Sosa had hit a homer to tie it in the top of the ninth.

5. Thome's walk-off in the 15th against Anaheim this year.

D. TODD
09-30-2008, 03:13 PM
I can't imagine it was ever louder than after Paulie's grand slam or Podsednik's walk-off in the World Series. It was so loud that you almost couldn't hear it at all, if that makes any sense.I was there at that is clearly my choice. Paulie's grand salami was louder then Pod's walk off in my opinion.

Iwritecode
09-30-2008, 03:21 PM
As far as games I personally attended the second most electric atmosphere was game 1 of the ALDS. So many curtain calls.

I'll take one more game just like that tonight. :praying:

SteveFakeBlood
09-30-2008, 03:22 PM
How about Carlos Lee's walk-off Slam against Courtney Duncan!

I was at that game! A bunch of family (my Dad, one of my uncles, four of my cousins and I) all got tickets together in the Left field bleachers, we were a section over from where the ball landed, my Dad actually yelled out "Here it comes" as it left the bat. My Mom saw us on TV celebrating.

That probably was the craziest I've ever seen it in my personal experience. Buehrle's no-hitter was amazing, but there were only 25,000 people there and everyone was cold- the crowd was loud, but I was too busy calling people and jumping around like crazy to notice and it was definitely not as loud as it was for C.Lee's grand slam.

Most electric I've seen it this year is when TCQ hit a walk off against the Angels (on a nationally broadcast game, which we tend to perform dubiously in).

I'm going to change it up a little and list a few bizarre bits of electricity:
Frank Thomas' first game back in 2006. It featured possibly the only time I'll see the home crowd cheering wildly and giving a standing ovation to an opposing player's home run. That inning also featured Ozzie being thrown out of the game for spending too much time on a mound visit and a squirrel getting loose on the field.

I was at the game where they announced immediately post-game that Mark Buehrle had just been re-signed, the whole place erupted- which is the loudest I've heard any stadium for something not involving the game itself. The game itself was pretty good though, one of Javy's better performances in a Sox uniform and a few homers. I brought my English friend to the game and it was actually a good one which was a crap shoot last year.

~Steve

VA_GoGoSox
09-30-2008, 03:23 PM

This was the loudest I have ever heard any stadium. That ball got about 10 feet off of Iguchi's bat and the Cell was completely up for grabs.

BainesHOF
09-30-2008, 03:24 PM
I was there at that is clearly my choice. Paulie's grand salami was louder then Pod's walk off in my opinion.

I think you're right. With Paulie, everyone was standing and anticipating a big moment, and then that crack of the bat on his first swing triggered a Big Bang of a reaction.

With Pods, nobody was expecting or even hoping for a home run. Even when he hit it you couldn't tell it was going out, but the ball just kept going and going and going. I think everyone in the park was in shock for a second but going nuts.

ChiSoxFan7
09-30-2008, 04:04 PM
1. Konerko's Grand Slam

2. Podsednik's Walk-Off

i agree but in reverse order...

but that also could have been because pods hr landed about 10 rows infront of me. that was freaking intense :bandance::bandance:

rwcescato
09-30-2008, 04:09 PM

I agree with that. I was at that game and at the 1st game of the World series and I know that the WS did not compare to when Iguchi hit that home run. i haven't heard it louder since.

Rich

cws05champ
09-30-2008, 04:20 PM
In games I've been to:

1) Game 1 World Series 8th and 9th innings it was loud and electric....
2)Carlos Lee's slam against the Cubs
3) Can't remember the year, but when the sox had 3 HR in a row against the Jays.
4) 2000 when the sox came home from the 7-0 roadtrip just before they took the field. The start of the standing ovation ritual.

turners56
09-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Konerko's slam. No doubt about it.

LoveYourSuit
09-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Loudest moments I can recall were all from the '05 Season

That Bo Jackson HR with Brian Turang running the legth of the LF wall in the 93 clincher is perhaps loudest before all that happened in '05.

The way the stadium has been transformed makes it so much louder than before.

1. The Paul Konerko GS WS ... by far.
2. The Iguchi HR against Boston in the ALDS, I think it was more because of the fact that all of us Sox fans right there realized that we would win our first playoff Series in like forever (even before '59).
3. When Jenks struck out Bagwell in game 1 of the WS ...8th inning. That was the loudest 1/2 inning I have heard at US Cellular Field when our defense was on the field.
4. Podz WS walk off. Believe it or not, was not as loud as you would think because I think 95% of the crowd was in shock and could not believe it.
5. Joe Crede knocking in Ozuna in game 2 of the ALCS ... walk off. Thanks ot AJ. That place was falling apart.

ChiSoxFan81
09-30-2008, 05:31 PM
I gotta pile on and go with Gooch's 3 run bomb in the ALDS. That was utter euphoria. The rest of the game was a giant party, and afterwards too. I'm hoping for a repeat tonight.

LoveYourSuit
09-30-2008, 05:49 PM
I gotta pile on and go with Gooch's 3 run bomb in the ALDS. That was utter euphoria. The rest of the game was a giant party, and afterwards too. I'm hoping for a repeat tonight.

And the look on the scattered Red Sox fans with their hands holding their heads............. Priceless.

southsideirish71
09-30-2008, 06:02 PM
4. Late July 1991 when Robin Ventura hit the "walk off" grand slam to beat the Rangers 10-8 off "Goose" Gossage. The place lost its mind. Frank Thomas physically lifted Robin up off the ground on to his shoulder after he touched home plate. Hawk went crazy on TV. I have the video of this one

5. Game #2 of the 05 World Series when Podsednik hit the game winner of Brad Lidge.

Lip

I was at that game with the Ventura slam. The place was crazy and it was shaking. I remember walking out down the ramps and the place was electric. The next time I felt that was walking out in Game 2 against the Astros. That type of atmosphere is very exciting for a fan. If that doesnt make you love baseball, nothing will.

manders_01
09-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Having been to play-in game and the subsequent play-off run, the play-in game was so much more electric than those subsquent games. It's absolute do or die time. And everyone in that park knows it. Tonight will be absolutely CRAZY!!! I really wish I could be at this one knowing how amazing it's going to be.

LET'S GO GO SOX!!!

chisoxfan4life
09-30-2008, 11:43 PM
Best games I've been to:

1. The division clinching game in 2005 in Detroit. Freddy pitched his ass off, Konerko hit his 40th dong of the season, and I was sitting within 15 feet of KW and Jerry. Plus I got to skip school that day and spend an unforgetable day with my Dad.

2. Frank Thomas's first game back. He was the reason I became a Sox fan and was my childhood hero. Seeing him hit two jacks, then a Rob Mack donger to tie it, and a Pablo walkoff bunt was pretty amazing.

3. Sox-Astros June 2006. In a rematch of the 2005 World Series, the Sox were down 9-1 in the 7th. Konerko hit a solo homer in the 7th, Iguchi hit a 3 run homer in the 8th, and a 2 out, 2 strike grand slam in the 9th to tie it. We ended up losing the game in extras but that comeback was amazing and the Cell was going nuts.

4. Sox v Tigers August 4th 2008. 14th inning walkoff 3 run homer for Swisher in Griffeys first game as a Sox at the Cell.

5. Sox v Angels September 2008. Thome's walkoff homer in the 15th inning after getting a run off K-Rod in the 9th during his record breaking season.

Unfortunately I've never been able to attend a playoff game :(

Rohan
09-30-2008, 11:54 PM
I'm sure ramirez's grand slam would be electric.. If the stadium was even full...
The most electric moment i've ever been involved in was game 2 of the ALDS when tadahito hit the three run shot to give the sox the lead.
Incredible..