PDA

View Full Version : Dan Patrick thinks the Twins are getting a raw deal

bluestar
09-30-2008, 01:26 PM
The Dan Patrick Show is on in the mornings here in Nashville, and I just caught part of it on my way to the office. A big topic on today's show was his opinion that the tiebreaker game being played in Chicago is not fair to the Twins, because they won the season series against the Sox. He spent a good deal of time complaining that the decision was made via a coin toss. He also went on to say he thinks the Twins will win because "the White Sox magic has to run out at some point." He also said he thinks "the Twins are the better team."

I know, I know...who cares what Patrick thinks? I just thought I would pass it along to anyone that didn't get to hear it.

oeo
09-30-2008, 01:28 PM
The Dan Patrick Show is on in the mornings here in Nashville, and I just caught part of it on my way to the office. A big topic on today's show was his opinion that the tiebreaker game being played in Chicago is not fair to the Twins, because they won the season series against the Sox. He spent a good deal of time complaining that the decision was made via a coin toss. He also went on to say he thinks the Twins will win because "the White Sox magic has to run out at some point." He also said he thinks "the Twins are the better team."

I know, I know...who cares what Patrick thinks? I just thought I would pass it along to anyone that didn't get to hear it.

Did you fall asleep at any point? What a snooze fest that guy is.

rustysurf83
09-30-2008, 01:29 PM
I heard this too...you know who I think gets a raw deal? Every ****ing team that has to play in that piece of **** dome. How the **** is that fair to make anyone ****ing play there all season long.

asindc
09-30-2008, 01:30 PM
It was a topic on the Mike and Mike show earlier today as well. For the record:

1) I think head-to-head should decide the division champ. Make the games mean everything.

2) IF you are going to play a tiebreaker game, the season series winner should host.

3) The Twinkees are not necessarily getting a "raw" deal, as the flawed (IMO) tiebreaking process was in place before the season started. I do think they have earned home-field advantage, though.

Does this mean I'm sympathetic. Hell no.

BTW, I was just lurking in a Boston Red Sox fan site to read their comments on yesterday's game. From the comments I have read their over the past few months, they hate that dome nearly as much as we do. One fan said he was rooting for us today and against the Rays because he doesn't want to see any more domes in the playoffs. It seems that TB might be developing into the Minny of the East, with potentially more talent in the near future.

MeteorsSox4367
09-30-2008, 01:32 PM
Hannah Storm said the same thing on SportsCenter this morning. She was talking about how the game should be hosted by the Twins since they won the season series.

LoveYourSuit
09-30-2008, 01:32 PM

Had we lost the coin toss we would be screaming murder too.

The bitch fest on this board would be un-tolerable.

I think season series should be considered in the process for the future, that makes perfect sense. Or division record.

As for the Sox running out Magic, has he not been watchng our play lately? We have sucked and is the reason we are playing this give in the first place.

ode to veeck
09-30-2008, 01:33 PM
who cares what Dan Patrick thinks, just move him one notch over into the classic whiners bucket

Sox4ever77
09-30-2008, 01:33 PM
Yes, who gets home field should be decided by who won the season series. If that happens to be a tie, then best record in the division.

If the Sox won the season series and today's game was at the Metrodome, I can imagine the posts on here.

areilly
09-30-2008, 01:35 PM
He also went on to say he thinks the Twins will win because "the White Sox magic has to run out at some point." He also said he thinks "the Twins are the better team."

Wait a minute - someone outside WSI actually claimed this team has "magic" about them? Wow.

Wow.

chisoxfanatic
09-30-2008, 01:37 PM
**** the Twins! They deserve to get the "raw deal" for years after the bull**** that goes on in the baggie dome.

Believe It!
09-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Rules are Rules

The team that has been in first for 5 days doesn't get home field advantage over the team that lead for like 150 days. Thats my rule.

TUCK THE FWINKIES! ! ! !:whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner:

Boondock Saint
09-30-2008, 01:42 PM
...and how is it not a raw deal if the game is played in Minnesota? We played 9 games there, they played 9 here. But they're getting screwed? A coin toss is the fair way to go.

Get ****ed, Dan Patrick.

DSpivack
09-30-2008, 01:43 PM
I don't have a problem doing away with a coin toss and basing it off of either head-to-head record or division record; the latter I like a little better.

BeviBall!
09-30-2008, 01:45 PM
People act like the coin flip to decide this just happened in 2008. They've been doing this for a while now.

thomas35forever
Bite me. I'm sorry folks, but that's the way it is. It's likely not going to change. Deal with it or go **** yourselves.

bluestar
Wait a minute - someone outside WSI actually claimed this team has "magic" about them? Wow.

Wow.

Patrick used the term "magic" in the context that the White Sox just managed to somehow get lucky the last two games. I thought he was totally discounting the fact that the Sox led the division most of the season, and I certainly do not understand his assertion that the Twins are the better team. I think the Twins are the better team on the coverted football field they call home (and a lot of that has more to do with the Sox mentality about playing there than actual on-field talent), but not away from there.

I do agree that it would be more fair to allow the season series to decide who wins the tiebreaker. I also agree that if the situations were reversed, we Sox fans would be livid; particularly since we would have to play the tiebreaker in a place that is as close to baseball hell for the Sox as possible.

Gavin
According to our RPI, we've played tougher opponents. Pretty amazing that the Sox and the Twins have identical home and away records AND identical AL Central Records...

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-30-2008, 01:47 PM
The coin toss was in place and done before the Sox headed up to Minnesota last week. If Dan and the ****tards over at ESPN are so unhappy with the league rules, call Selig. Otherwise, shut the **** up.

They're really pissed because TBS is carrying the game, not them so they don't get the ratings. But, of course, Olney, Tim K and some of the BBTN staff are picking the Twins "because they're the better team."

Both teams are 88-74, *******s.

EuroSox35
09-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Even when it was decided we won I said it should be season series winner, but too bad, if it was the other way around they wouldn't care, and it's been known to them for a while now, they should've taken care of their own business

chisoxfanatic
09-30-2008, 01:48 PM
If the Twins are gonna bitch about this, they should've won more than 1 last weekend at home against Kansas City.

Boondock Saint
09-30-2008, 01:49 PM
Had we lost the coin toss we would be screaming murder too.

The bitch fest on this board would be un-tolerable.

I think season series should be considered in the process for the future, that makes perfect sense. Or division record.

As for the Sox running out Magic, has he not been watchng our play lately? We have sucked and is the reason we are playing this give in the first place.

Anyone that would bitch about the result of a coin toss on here would get (deservedly) ripped. If you want the rule changed, that's fine. But don't bitch becuase the result doesn't go your way. That crap's for Cub fans.

bluestar
09-30-2008, 01:49 PM
Even when it was decided we won I said it should be season series winner, but too bad, if it was the other way around they wouldn't care, and it's been known to them for a while now, they should've taken care of their own business

Yes! It isn't like the Twins didn't have a chance to win this thing outright. Both teams have no one to blame but themselves for being in this situation.

Sox4ever77
09-30-2008, 01:50 PM
The coin toss was in place and done before the Sox headed up to Minnesota last week. If Dan and the ****tards over at ESPN are so unhappy with the league rules, call Selig. Otherwise, shut the **** up.

They're really pissed because TBS is carrying the game, not them so they don't get the ratings. But, of course, Olney, Tim K and some of the BBTN staff are picking the Twins "because they're the better team."

Well maybe that's why they brought up the subject?? If the Sox had won the season series and today's game was at the Metrodome, all of WSI would be bitching and complaining.

Baseball should change the rule and whoever wins the season series should get home field.

hi im skot
09-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Tuff luck, Danny boy.

mccoydp
09-30-2008, 01:52 PM
At least the media is getting its excuses in order for the Twinkie loss tonight. Dan Patrick is an idiot; **** him.

BeviBall!
09-30-2008, 01:53 PM
This aside... I like Dan Patrick. :shrug:

Milw
09-30-2008, 01:54 PM

Patrick isn't with ESPN anymore. So I'm pretty sure that's not it.

Look, anyone complaining about this setup is exactly right; that said, they should have been complaining 100 years ago, because coin flips are not a new development in baseball.

The rule needs to be changed, but it is the rule.

hellview
09-30-2008, 01:54 PM
I actually do agree that the season series should decide where the tie-breaker is played.

If the teams tie 9-9 then have the coin flip.

Sox4ever77
09-30-2008, 01:55 PM
I actually do agree that the season series should decide where the tie-breaker is played.

If the teams tie 9-9 then have the coin flip.

A coin flip should be the last resort.

Second tie breaker, record in the division.

Third tie breaker, record vs league.

Moses_Scurry
09-30-2008, 01:58 PM

Why are people making such a huge deal of it this year???? Play-in games happen quite often, and they've always been decided by a coin flip. I don't remember hearing nearly as much **** about it last year when Colorado played San Diego! Mike Golic was complaining about it this morning too.

SOXBOY
09-30-2008, 01:58 PM
Where was all this bitching when Houston had to play the cubs in Miller Park. Now that was unfair.

comet2k
09-30-2008, 01:59 PM
I agree that the fairest way is to give the team that won the season series home field advantage, but the coin toss is more accommodating for fans. Season ticket holders got tickets as part of their post season package and could plan on the possibility of a playoff. So could the rest of us, though getting tickets for the game was a dfferent matter. :mad: In some years, who wins a season series may not be decided until the last game.

Gavin
09-30-2008, 02:00 PM
This is all pretty pointless to discuss considering some teams have easier schedules than others b/c of interleague play and the lack of absolute parity. An easier interleague schedule for the Sox (cough, not playing the Cubs 6 games..) could have led to one more overall victory for the Sox and no tiebreaker needed.

rdwj
09-30-2008, 02:00 PM
Really, he has a point. I don't think it matters where THIS game is played because I don't think there is ANY way the Sox lose.

Head-to-head should be the first tie-breaker to see who hosts the game

NLaloosh
09-30-2008, 02:01 PM
I do agree that generally decisions should be made using common sense and a solution should be searched for to find the deserving party.

Therfore: the home WS homefield advantage should be given to the league that wins the interleague play not 1 exhibition game.

There should be some rules like that in this regard instead of a lucky coin flip.

But, then again I also think that baseball fields should be uniform in dimension and not in domes etc.

EuroSox35
09-30-2008, 02:01 PM

Patrick isn't part of ESPN anymore

And both Gammons and Kruk (God help us) picked us

Tragg
09-30-2008, 02:02 PM
This is all pretty pointless to discuss considering some teams have easier schedules than others b/c of interleague play and the lack of absolute parity. An easier interleague schedule for the Sox (cough, not playing the Cubs 6 games..) could have led to one more overall victory for the Sox and no tiebreaker needed.
Great point.

hawkjt
09-30-2008, 02:09 PM
This is just like the discussion that occurs with best record should get home field in the World Series....they want certainty in advance for planning purposes and knowing which league will host the WS is helpful.
Same deal with this type of game.
They want to know in advance.
Hence the coin flip three weeks ago.

Hey, Dan Patrick, I will never forgive you for cheerleading Giambi to the MVP award in 2000 over Frank who deserved it on the merits. Giambi was on his radio show a dozen times that fall and squeaked it out over Frank.
A few years later Patrick is apologizing cus it came out that Giambi admitted to steroid use that season.

Screw you ,Dan Patrick....go **** yourself.

SOX ADDICT '73
09-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Patrick isn't part of ESPN anymore

And both Gammons and Kruk (God help us) picked us
Yeah, but they both looked like they had to choke down bile to do so.

Jerome
09-30-2008, 02:20 PM
I would be pissed if I was a Twins fan but think about this - they only won the series 10-8. If the Sox bullpen doesn't crap themselves in that last game its 9-9 and they use the coin flip anyways - not like the Twins won the season series by a large margin here or anything.

And maybe the coin falling our way is the karma scale balancing out for all that **** that happens at that ****ing dome all season? Or cheaters' proof for them getting all those calls last weekend.

I think head to head is the best way to decide these things but I don't feel bad for the Twins in the least.

SouthSoxFan
09-30-2008, 02:25 PM

This is what I was thinking as I was listening to Mike and Mike gripe about it this morning on the radio.

Sox vs NL: 6 vs Cubs, at LA, at SF, COL, PIT (12-6 W-L)
Min vs NL: 6 vs MIL, at SD, at COL, WAS, ARZ (14-4 W-L)

If you compare our AL schedules, of the 72 non-divisional AL games played by each team, 61 games match up (same opponents), and 11 games were unbalanced. Here's how those 11 games break down:

Sox TB +4, LAA +2, TOR +2, BAL +3
Min Tex +4, Sea +3, NY +3, Oak +1

So the Sox played an extra 6 games against the best two teams (record wise) in the American league, while the Twins got extra games against the weak teams in the AL West. If the schedule was even across the board, Minnesota wouldn't even be in this position - they should be thankful for the opportunity.

jabrch
09-30-2008, 02:25 PM
:whocares

RedPinStripes
09-30-2008, 02:29 PM
**** him!

This was the same jackass who ripped the Sox for singing in Grant Park with Steve Perry after they won the World Series. I've been done with him since that day. No, it don't take much. :redneck

UofCSoxFan
09-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Well Timberwolf on Motownsports was saying how he/she thought the Twins were getting screwed b/c they were ahead by a half game and that Selig allowed the Sox an extra game to make up for it. That basicaly if the rolls were reversed he would have let the Sox win the division with a half game lead, despite playing one more game. He/She also stated that it was crap that the Tigers and Sox didn't make the game up last Monday, before the Twins series (despite the fact that the Tigers had a game that day). So yeah...a lot of Twins crap floating around.

white sox bill
09-30-2008, 02:31 PM
Please don't call that Dome a stadium, its an insult to baseball. The game there is more like Basketball with all the bounces. That place is not what Abner Doubleday had in mind.

asindc
09-30-2008, 02:34 PM
Well Timberwolf on Motownsports was saying how he/she thought the Twins were getting screwed b/c they were ahead by a half game and that Selig allowed the Sox an extra game to make up for it. That basicaly if the rolls were reversed he would have let the Sox win the division with a half game lead, despite playing one more game. He/She also stated that it was crap that the Tigers and Sox didn't make the game up last Monday, before the Twins series (despite the fact that the Tigers had a game that day). So yeah...a lot of Twins crap floating around.

And Timberwolf is getting ripped for it over there. Seems that he is wearing out his welcome over there as well.

RedHeadPaleHoser
Well Timberwolf on Motownsports was saying how he/she thought the Twins were getting screwed b/c they were ahead by a half game and that Selig allowed the Sox an extra game to make up for it.

Maybe Timberwolf should pull his wooden head out of a bear's ass for a second - yesterday's game was a MAKEUP game for a rainout, NOT an extra game.

If he wants to pitch a pissy bitch, tell him to go ask Gardenhire why they didn't sweep the Royals the way they did the Sox. Otherwise, **** off.

UofCSoxFan
This is what I was thinking as I was listening to Mike and Mike gripe about it this morning on the radio.

Sox vs NL: 6 vs Cubs, at LA, at SF, COL, PIT (12-6 W-L)
Min vs NL: 6 vs MIL, at SD, at COL, WAS, ARZ (14-4 W-L)

If you compare our AL schedules, of the 72 non-divisional AL games played by each team, 61 games match up (same opponents), and 11 games were unbalanced. Here's how those 11 games break down:

Sox TB +4, LAA +2, TOR +2, BAL +3
Min Tex +4, Sea +3, NY +3, Oak +1

So the Sox played an extra 6 games against the best two teams (record wise) in the American league, while the Twins got extra games against the weak teams in the AL West. If the schedule was even across the board, Minnesota wouldn't even be in this position - they should be thankful for the opportunity.

Yep...amother arguement for a balanced schedule. The thing is, at the beginning of the year, I was greatful for playing more games against TB....that turned out great.

We got 6 more games against 2 of the 3 best teams in the AL East, and 3 more games against NL playoff teams. Meanwhile, the Twins get 8 more against the 3 worst teams in the worst division in baseball and the one NL playoff team the Twins did play turns into Hump Dump East in that series because Twins fans travel there b/c its a chance to watch a game that isn't their stadium. Whatever. Win today and shut everyone up. If the Twins hadn't choked against KC, they wouldn't have been in this situation.

asindc
09-30-2008, 02:35 PM
**** him!

This was the same jackass who ripped the Sox for singing in Grant Park with Steve Perry after they won the World Series. I've been done with him since that day. No, it don't take much. :redneck

What did Patrick say about that?

Iwritecode
09-30-2008, 02:36 PM
Yeah, but they both looked like they had to choke down bile to do so.

Kruk is usually a Sox supporter.

champagne030
09-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Where was all this bitching when Houston had to play the cubs in Miller Park. Now that was unfair.

Well, we're talking talking about the trashy White Sox team and not the lovely and adorable Cubbies.

stockonline2
09-30-2008, 02:41 PM
I just remember listening to the Dan Patrick Show after Game 2 of the ALCS. He just kept going on and on about the Piersynski play how badly it was called and how unfair it was.

"And..... *silence*..... I mean...... the play was clearly...... *more silence*....."

I hope this guy doesn't get paid by the hour. He's one of those "analysts" who you can tell believes whatever **** comes out of his mouth is pure gold based on the emphasis he places on his words.

Boondock Saint
09-30-2008, 02:42 PM

Timberwolf is a whining, excuse making, antagonizing, loud-mouthed, Napoleonic, dim-witted, head-up-his-ass, ankle biting poodle that seemingly spends every waking hour of every day searching for conspiracy theories. His team failed to take the division by force, and he can't help but cry conspiracy. **** him.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-30-2008, 02:44 PM
If the Sox had been 1/2 game ahead, instead of 1/2 game behind, after Game 161, they would still have had to play Game 162, just to give the Twins a chance to tie if the Sox lost to the Tigers. Had that happened, would anyone be complaining that the Sox got to host Game 163 based on the coin flip weeks ago, which is the method MLB has used since forever?

What if that final Twins-Sox series had been played in Chicago instead of Minneapolis? The Sox would not have been swept and none of this would have happened. Sure, each year's schedule is balanced 9 and 9, but for how many years recently have the Sox had to play the final Twins series of the season in September in Minneapolis? Until MLB can schedule the final series of each year to alternate (impossible, obviously) you can't use the head-to-head season series to break a tie when one of the teams will advance and the other will stay home. This ain't the NFL.

FielderJones
09-30-2008, 02:49 PM
If the two teams involved are playing for the season series on the final weekend, then what? What if you tie at the end of that final series?

This isn't the NFL or the NHL or the NBA where you have lots of slack days in the season. Baseball is played almost every day. Getting the logistics in place to host a game and get the teams there takes a bit of planning. The coin toss takes some of the guesswork out of it, and prevents a redundant logistics requirement.

Here's a thought: if you don't want your fate resting on the toss of a coin, have a better record than the other guy.

SoxGirl4Life
09-30-2008, 02:49 PM
where was the outrage for the Rockies/Padres last year?

Give me a break.

palehozenychicty
09-30-2008, 02:50 PM
I just remember listening to the Dan Patrick Show after Game 2 of the ALCS. He just kept going on and on about the Piersynski play how badly it was called and how unfair it was.

"And..... *silence*..... I mean...... the play was clearly...... *more silence*....."

I hope this guy doesn't get paid by the hour. He's one of those "analysts" who you can tell believes whatever **** comes out of his mouth is pure gold based on the emphasis he places on his words.

He's been hating on the Sox for years. He even said on his radio show after the World Series win that "nobody in Chicago cares about the White Sox." Point blank. **** him.

russ99
09-30-2008, 02:52 PM
**** the Twins! They deserve to get the "raw deal" for years after the bull**** that goes on in the baggie dome.

I wouldn't go that far, but I consider it poetic justice to make up for those obvious home-team calls by the 3B umpire in the one game in Minnesota the Sox should have won.

But it means nothing if the Sox don't seal the deal.

chisoxfanatic
09-30-2008, 02:53 PM
What if that final Twins-Sox series had been played in Chicago instead of Minneapolis? The Sox would not have been swept and none of this would have happened. Sure, each year's schedule is balanced 9 and 9, but for how many years recently have the Sox had to play the final Twins series of the season in September in Minneapolis? Until MLB can schedule the final series of each year to alternate (impossible, obviously) you can't use the head-to-head season series to break a tie when one of the teams will advance and the other will stay home. This ain't the NFL.
Fortunately next year, the last Sox/Twins series of the season will be a three-gamer here at the same time as last week's series was in this season. The last time we go up there is the very beginning of September. How great is that?!

Sox4ever77
09-30-2008, 02:53 PM
where was the outrage for the Rockies/Padres last year?

Give me a break.

Maybe if you checked a Padres message board, you would find your answer?

SOX ADDICT '73
09-30-2008, 02:55 PM
I thought I remembered him being in the Jeff Brantley camp for much of 2005 before he finally came around.

All I know is that both Kruk and Gammons didn't look all that committed to calling this one for the Sox, which I'm thinking is actually a good thing.:smile:

beasly213
09-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Who cares what Dan Patrick thinks? Seriously he's just trying to create a show topic so he has something to talk about.

He knows no more than any knowledgeable fan. He never played pro ball he's just a broadcaster.

Flight #24
09-30-2008, 02:59 PM
In other news, Dan Patrick thinks Giambi got a raw deal on this year's MVP award.

areilly
09-30-2008, 03:13 PM

a) It's not your money, so who cares how Patrick gets paid?
b) If someone paid me that much to talk **** about entertainment, I'd believe my word was gold as well. So would anyone. This is probably why the talking heads - not just in sports media but business and politics as well - are generally so weird.
c) Why is "analysts" in quotes? Patrick analyzes. So do you. So do I. Whether or not it's how we make our living doesn't validate or invalidate the act.

pudge
09-30-2008, 03:18 PM
It's typical sports radio, nothing to talk about so dredge up this garbage. They were doing the same thing on local *Seattle* radio this morning! Complaning that the Twins didn't have homefield...

My honest opinion is, you are already pissing all over the regular season by even playing this game to begin with. So you might as well do a coin toss. If the regular season head-to-head really matters that much, then the Twins should have been crowned division champs.

ChicagoHoosier
09-30-2008, 03:23 PM
Not sure why everyone is swearing and so bitter at Dan Patrick. It's a legit question to ask today if you're an unbiased sports fan. Football has no tiebreaker game - head to head decides the winner. I think it's a pretty good sports topic today to ask viewers and listeners if they feel Minny deserved a better situation.

I don't think anyone is saying this particular year is unfair. I think Golic and Patrick are just using this year as an example for revisiting the rules.

Calm down folks.

minutia
09-30-2008, 03:24 PM
**** the Twins. Everyone that has to play in that dam dome gets a raw deal.

DSpivack
09-30-2008, 03:30 PM

You sure about that? Wasn't he the one who said early on in 2005 that there was no way the Sox would win the division and Sox fans would be crying in their beers at the end?

Iwritecode
09-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Not sure why everyone is swearing and so bitter at Dan Patrick. It's a legit question to ask today if you're an unbiased sports fan. Football has no tiebreaker game - head to head decides the winner. I think it's a pretty good sports topic today to ask viewers and listeners if they feel Minny deserved a better situation.

Football doesn't do it because they only play one game a week. Baseball has a game almost every day. Tie-breaking games and coin flips have been part of baseball for quite awhile.

SOX ADDICT '73
09-30-2008, 03:31 PM
You sure about that? Wasn't he the one who said early on in 2005 that there was no way the Sox would win the division and Sox fans would be crying in their beers at the end?
Nope. That was the aforementioned Jeff Brantley.

DSpivack
09-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Nope. That was the aforementioned Jeff Brantley.

Ahh, my memory fails me. Thanks.

Iwritecode
09-30-2008, 03:33 PM

I think everyone was saying that in early 2005.

Most of the time that I've seen him he's been the guy that picks the Sox when everyone else on the show picks the other team.

I've seen Tim Kurkjian and Harold Reynolds as Sox supporters as well.

areilly
09-30-2008, 03:34 PM
I've seen Tim Kurkjian and Harold Reynolds as Sox supporters as well.

If his on-air demeanor is any indication, I think Kurkijan just has a huge man-crush on anyone who's ever played professional baseball.

Railsplitter
09-30-2008, 03:35 PM
Somebody should tell those ESPN blockheads this isn't the NFL

hellview
09-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Football doesn't do it because they only play one game a week. Baseball has a game almost every day. Tie-breaking games and coin flips have been part of baseball for quite awhile.

He understands that but it never hurts to look at current rules and question them. Someone in the MLB office decided to bring up reviewing homeruns.

It's a honest sports talker that you can debate about. Just cause it's been part of the game for awhile doesn't mean the subject can't be addressed.

UofCSoxFan
09-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Maybe if you checked a Padres message board, you would find your answer?

You're assuming fans in San Diego care enough to have a message board.

Point taken though.

I disagree with Dan Patrick, but I met him at all-star fan fest when it was in Chicago and actually thought he was a pretty nice guy.

HITMEN OF 77
09-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Dan Patrick = Tool shed.

TDog
09-30-2008, 03:44 PM
It is nice to know the Twins people are lining up their excuses.

This is baseball. There has to be a playoff if two teams are tied for the last postseason spot. Maybe it's not fair that the Twins haven't earned homefield advantage. Maybe it wasn't fair that the Twins only had to play two game against the Rays at the Metrodome -- and six total, fewer than the number of games the Sox had to play in St. Petersburg -- or six total against the Blue Jays when the White Sox had to play eight, or that the Twins played home and home against the Brewers while the White Sox were playing home and home against the Cubs.

And maybe my hopes of a Sox-tober this year will be dashed. By while autumn hope still springs eternal, at this moment, I think it's best for baseball if such an important game not be turned into some perverve hybrid of arena baseball.

mcfish
09-30-2008, 04:30 PM
I didn't hear anyone complaining about this last year with the Rockies/Padres play-in game.

EDIT:
I went back and found this on page 4. Sorry
And then I went back to the Rockies 2007 schedule and found that they went 10-8 against SD last year. Sorry again.

I still think this is a bunch of unnecessary bitching though.

turners56
09-30-2008, 04:36 PM
How exactly are the Twins a better team when they're 7-2 against us in real ball parks?

oeo
09-30-2008, 04:37 PM
I didn't hear anyone complaining about this last year with the Rockies/Padres play-in game. :rolleyes:

Who cares...we always have to put up with this ****. Remember before the Houston games in the World Series and the biggest story was MLB making them keep their roof open? Nothing but a bunch of babies, I tell ya.

btrain929
09-30-2008, 05:38 PM
Well if they would have won 1 more game vs KC, then this raw deal wouldn't have affected them. Sorry I'm not sorry.

And now we have to beat the **** out of you. :gulp:

Zisk77
09-30-2008, 06:56 PM
We played 10 games in the dome only 9 at the cell. Is that fair. They would have a complaint if we played 18 or 20 in a year but we don't.

turners56
09-30-2008, 06:58 PM
We played 10 games in the dome only 9 at the cell. Is that fair. They would have a complaint if we played 18 or 20 in a year but we don't.

We played 9 and 9 actually.

Madscout
09-30-2008, 06:59 PM
You're assuming fans in San Diego care enough to have a message board.

Point taken though.

I disagree with Dan Patrick, but I met him at all-star fan fest when it was in Chicago and actually thought he was a pretty nice guy.
I know teal was implied but...

http://sdpadres.net/index.php

Go sox.

EndemicSox
09-30-2008, 07:01 PM
Hannah Storm said the same thing on SportsCenter this morning. She was talking about how the game should be hosted by the Twins since they won the season series.

I agree with this view...this game should be played in the dome.

soxwon
09-30-2008, 07:14 PM
...and how is it not a raw deal if the game is played in Minnesota? We played 9 games there, they played 9 here. But they're getting screwed? A coin toss is the fair way to go.

Get ****ed, Dan Patrick.

dan patrick-the new Mariotti!!!

Madscout
09-30-2008, 07:19 PM
I agree with this view...this game should be played in the dome.
Nobody bitched a few weeks ago when this was decided. It is for logistics.

oeo
09-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Why are people are acting like the Twins handed it to us, and won like 13 of the 18 or something? It's a one game difference.

socaljeff
09-30-2008, 07:20 PM
Rules are Rules

The team that has been in first for 5 days doesn't get home field advantage over the team that lead for like 150 days. Thats my rule.

TUCK THE FWINKIES! ! ! !:whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner:

Amen, Brother!!

Britt Burns
09-30-2008, 10:23 PM
You can take the guy out of ESPN, but you can't take ESPN out of the guy....

yawn.

MarySwiss
09-30-2008, 10:26 PM
You can take the guy out of ESPN, but you can't take ESPN out of the guy....

yawn.

Well, he's sort of right; they got a ticket home to play golf--or whatever they do in their offseason. Which starts right now!!!

kitekrazy
09-30-2008, 10:27 PM
I heard this too...you know who I think gets a raw deal? Every ****ing team that has to play in that piece of **** dome. How the **** is that fair to make anyone ****ing play there all season long.

Baseball should be played in a place......where you can play baseball. Not where a ball hits off a speaker, ect. For some reason the laws of physic go out the window there.

Parrothead
09-30-2008, 10:27 PM
It was a topic on the Mike and Mike show earlier today as well. For the record:

1) I think head-to-head should decide the division champ. Make the games mean everything.

2) IF you are going to play a tiebreaker game, the season series winner should host.

3) The Twinkees are not necessarily getting a "raw" deal, as the flawed (IMO) tiebreaking process was in place before the season started. I do think they have earned home-field advantage, though.

Does this mean I'm sympathetic. Hell no.

well said. :thumbsup:

kitekrazy
09-30-2008, 10:31 PM
If the Twins are gonna bitch about this, they should've won more than 1 last weekend at home against Kansas City.

I'd feel the same way if the Sox lost.

Woofer
09-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Baseball should be played in a place......where you can play baseball. Not where a ball hits off a speaker, ect. For some reason the laws of physic go out the window there.
I agree whole wholly with that statement, and now we have to go play in a place just like this.

Dibbs
09-30-2008, 10:35 PM
I am sooooo tired of this talk. The team with the best record doesn't even get home field advantage in the WORLD SERIES! People never complain about that, but everyone is up in arms about this smaller scale game.

kitekrazy
09-30-2008, 10:42 PM
Football has no tiebreaker game - head to head decides the winner.

To a point but in the NFL is everything is even then it comes down to coin toss. But it's very very rare and most likely will never happen.

SOX ADDICT '73
10-01-2008, 12:34 AM
Seriously, has there ever been this much bitching about the coin flips? Or is it just because the cute little Twinkies ("who play the game the right way") were negatively affected this year? They've been using this system for a very long time.

I personally love coin flip day, win or lose. If your team is included, it means you're still contending. It's like the NBA draft lottery, but with winners instead of losers!

Pear-Zin-Ski
10-01-2008, 12:53 AM
Why should the Twins have the upper hand since they'd won the season series? That makes no sense...they had a REAL nice home record against the Sox and a TERRIBLE away record against the Sox...what gives them the privelege to host this game at home?

Coin toss sounded damn reasonable to me....

PennStater98r
10-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Hey Dan Patrick - glad you're not in charge of deciding baseball rules. I like the coin toss because - how fair would it be to a team that plays an odd number of series (say five series) and one team hosts three - in the Met and the other hosts two - in the Cell...

Has to be a coin toss imo - b/c one team already had an advantage by being able to play more home games against the other.

ChiSoxFan81
10-01-2008, 11:11 AM
I don't have a problem with a coin toss. Each team has an equal chance, and the team in first at the time gets to call it (not like that is really an advantage anyways). Is it highly probably that we lose if the game is at the Baggie Dome? Yes. But the Twins also could have won 1 more game and not had to worry about it at all.

esbrechtel
10-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Hey Dan Patrick - glad you're not in charge of deciding baseball rules. I like the coin toss because - how fair would it be to a team that plays an odd number of series (say five series) and one team hosts three - in the Met and the other hosts two - in the Cell...

Has to be a coin toss imo - b/c one team already had an advantage by being able to play more home games against the other.

Fantastic point!

TomBradley72
10-01-2008, 12:26 PM
I think he was right. The team with the better record head to head should host the tiebreaker game. But I sure am glad that's not the rule in 2008.

Jollyroger2
10-01-2008, 02:18 PM

Not only that, they were battling a Sox team for the division that was missing Crede, Contreras, and Quentin. Ideally, with the way the Sox were playing overall, they should have won this division by a few games and never needed a playoff.

&%$# the Twins, their fans, and anyone in the media whining about them today.

palehozenychicty
10-01-2008, 02:27 PM
As someone said earlier, they can't use the head-to-head matchups as a tiebreaker for a play-in game if they don't do that for the World Series. I know that the offices of MLB are full of clowns, but damn.

Iwritecode
10-01-2008, 02:30 PM

I think that would be difficult to do for a divisional opponent but it there were a playoff game to determine a wild card winner, that could definitely happen.

Like if we were tied with Tampa Bay for the Wild card. The Sox only played them 3 games a home but six games on the road.

Seems like a pretty good arguement for keeping the coin flips.

TDog
10-01-2008, 02:58 PM
As someone said earlier, they can't use the head-to-head matchups as a tiebreaker for a play-in game if they don't do that for the World Series. I know that the offices of MLB are full of clowns, but damn.

You could use head-to-head to determine homefield advantage in the division playoff without using it in the World Series. Using head-to-head for the World Series, even using overall win-loss records to determine homefield advantage for the World Series, would be arbitrary and capricious, you might even say idiotic.

World Series teams may have faced each other in mid-season. If so, they probably only played three games, in one park with rules foreign to the visiting team. Overall records of the two World Series teams represent an apples-and-oranges comparison. The teams play under different rules and play vastly different schedules.

That being said, it would have been just as arbitrary as a coin-flip to award the Twins homefield for the playoff because they won the season series 10-8. The Sox had won one game in the Metrodome since the All-Star break. The Twins had not won a game in Chicago since May 7, and that game was won by Livan Hernadez, who isn't even on the staff anymore. Baseball is unlike other sports that essentially put their best players on the field every day. When you play teams in the regular season, so much depends on the pitching matchups.

They tied, despite the fact that the Twins played an easier regular season scheule. The Sox were as dominant against the Twins were in Chicago as the Twins were against the Sox in their peculiar sports arena.

The coin flip didn't go the Twins way, but neither did those two roadtrips to Seattle. Whine about leading baseball in 1-0 losses if you want to whine, Twins fans. Both the Twins and the Sox had their chances to win the division without playing Tuesday night.

esbrechtel
10-01-2008, 03:38 PM
You could use head-to-head to determine homefield advantage in the division playoff without using it in the World Series. Using head-to-head for the World Series, even using overall win-loss records to determine homefield advantage for the World Series, would be arbitrary and capricious, you might even say idiotic.

World Series teams may have faced each other in mid-season. If so, they probably only played three games, in one park with rules foreign to the visiting team. Overall records of the two World Series teams represent an apples-and-oranges comparison. The teams play under different rules and play vastly different schedules.

That being said, it would have been just as arbitrary as a coin-flip to award the Twins homefield for the playoff because they won the season series 10-8. The Sox had won one game in the Metrodome since the All-Star break. The Twins had not won a game in Chicago since May 7, and that game was won by Livan Hernadez, who isn't even on the staff anymore. Baseball is unlike other sports that essentially put their best players on the field every day. When you play teams in the regular season, so much depends on the pitching matchups.

They tied, despite the fact that the Twins played an easier regular season scheule. The Sox were as dominant against the Twins were in Chicago as the Twins were against the Sox in their peculiar sports arena.

The coin flip didn't go the Twins way, but neither did those two roadtrips to Seattle. Whine about leading baseball in 1-0 losses if you want to whine, Twins fans. Both the Twins and the Sox had their chances to win the division without playing Tuesday night.

Very well put T