PDA

View Full Version : I Did A Complete 180....I Will Be Proud Of This Season No Matter What Happens.

Thome25
09-30-2008, 11:37 AM
I changed my mind. No matter what happens tonight I will be proud of this season and proud of these guys. Everyone counted them out this season and no one expected us to get this far (except for us.) and here we are playing the 163rd game of the year. We were in 1st place for something like 145 days this year.

Baseball is a difficult, up and down, back and forth sport. You may win alot of games but, you're going to lose alot too.

So no matter what happens tonite, I'll be disappointed for sure but, I'll still be proud of these guys and I will ALWAYS love the Chicago White Sox.

How 'bout you?

cheezheadsoxfan
09-30-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm with you. :D:

cbotnyse
09-30-2008, 11:39 AM
I'll be ****ing pissed if we lose. We had the lead all year and to blow it this bad would suck.

esbrechtel
09-30-2008, 11:40 AM
my sentiments exactly....They broke my heart blowing that lead in that crappy dome...But I am glad with the season we had...It could be worse we could be the Tigers :o:

illini81887
09-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Enough with the being satisfied crap.

WIN TONIGHT

asindc
09-30-2008, 11:46 AM
I predicted 88-92 wins and the WC before the season started. This was based on the following:

1) Detroit would finish no better than 3rd because of their pitching;

2) The NYY would not win more than 85-86 because they are getting old;

3) No one besides Bos. in the AL East would finish ahead of the NYY;

4) The AL West would be what it actually is... a one-team division.

I'm a Sox fan 'til the end. Sure, I will be bitterly disappointed if they do not win tonight, but after last season, once I assess everything, I am (and will be) glad that they are contenders again and will be in the near future. I'm glad KW and Ozzie have changed of culture of this franchise. They expect to contend every year. They promised changes after last season, and they delivered.

asindc
09-30-2008, 11:47 AM
my sentiments exactly....They broke my heart blowing that lead in that crappy dome...But I am glad with the season we had...It could be worse we could be the Tigers :o:

Or the Mets.

hellview
09-30-2008, 11:51 AM
Not this garbage of "if I would have told you in April"

MAN UP AND WIN THE ****ING GAME!!!!

aryzner
09-30-2008, 11:51 AM
I'm proud of it, too. Regardless of what happens, you HAVE to be excited for the coming years for the White Sox and the young players we have and their bright futures: Floyd, Danks, Quentin, Ramirez.

SOXBOY
09-30-2008, 11:55 AM
No, the Sox have come to far to be satisfied with just "It's been a good year" with a loss to the twins. The only way to be satisfied with the season is to beat the twins and make the playoffs then it's been a "Good year".

BoysMom3
09-30-2008, 12:05 PM
No, the Sox have come to far to be satisfied with just "It's been a good year" with a loss to the twins. The only way to be satisfied with the season is to beat the twins and make the playoffs then it's been a "Good year".

That's how I feel. It would be different if we had gone back and forth a lot with the Twins all summer, but we had first place the vast majority of the time. DO OR DIE!!!!!!!!!!

MisterB
09-30-2008, 12:07 PM
I'll be ****ing pissed if we lose. We had the lead all year and to blow it this bad would suck.

Except for those times when they didn't, of course. Granted the Sox were never more than 2.5 games off the lead this year, but still...

jabrch
09-30-2008, 12:07 PM
I sure hope we win tonight - but if we don't, this was still a successful campaign given expectations.

Let's go out and win tonight. This team still has a chance to do some special things.

Bucky F. Dent
09-30-2008, 12:08 PM
I've loved this team for nearly 42 years. Nothing they've done over the past five months has changed that.

DaveFeelsRight
09-30-2008, 12:11 PM
Well duh. Since i joined this place, people have been bitching and acting LIKE we've been picked to lead the division since march. We've been picked DEAD last or the highest 4th. Even if we don't make the playoffs, this season will still be a huge success.

Noneck
09-30-2008, 12:11 PM
Proud? not really. But losing to the twinks tonight will mean that the Sox are just not good enough to advance and lost to a better team. Being eliminated by anyone else (clev or det) would have meant a choke job.

Thome25
09-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Look what happens to teams that take the "hard road" to get to the playoffs. The end up going to the WS. The 2005 Astros, 2006 Cardinals, 2007 Rockies, 2003 Marlins, 2004 Red Sox, and 2006 Tigers all took the tough, gritty road to the postseason and all ended up in the WS. (and some won it. )

The White Sox and/or twins seem to both be taking that same road. Who ends up there remains to be seen.

Madvora
09-30-2008, 12:20 PM
If the Sox lose in their typical 2008 fashion (failed bunts, base running errors, putting guys on and not getting them in, bullpen failures etc) then everyone would and should be pissed off.

I'm not expecting that to happen though. I want this win!

anewman35
09-30-2008, 02:18 PM
I'm with you. A few days ago, I was so pissed. Losing tonight would suck, too, but at least it's on the field to the team we're tied with, not some meaningless game. And we got excitement til the very end. Even with a loss, a much better ending than going out with a whimper would have been.

Iwritecode
09-30-2008, 02:40 PM
"Don't just be happy to be here... Win dis ting. Win dis ting."

IIRC, Ozzie was talking about the WS but it applies just as well now.

soltrain21
09-30-2008, 02:42 PM
Losing this means this team goes down as my least favorite Sox team in my time as a fan.

Luckily we aren't losing tonight.

SteveFakeBlood
09-30-2008, 02:51 PM
Good thread. I think there have been two times in my life where I've given serious thought to giving up on the Sox. Once was after they lost Game 2 of the 1993 ALCS when I attended- that's because I was 10 and it was the first year I followed things closely and was watching or listening to games and reading box scores almost daily- I didn't understand the suffering it takes to be a Sox fan. The second was watching them blow it in September '06- it was a year I believed they'd win the World Series (my first mistake- I've noticed over the years, the lower the expectation the more success) and it was probably exactly the feeling Mets fans have right about now. Both those times just ended up making me stronger though, I realized I can give up on the Sox like I can give up on my friends and family. There were some years where I paid less attention than others (the dregs of the late '90s- when I was more focused on running and trying to talk to girls...), but in the end I think those days are mostly over (I went to 18 games in 2007- that was kinda miserable... but proved I'll be there through thick and thin).

But it is a good season, not was. One time I was on a road trip with my friend Nick and I said "This has been a most excellent adventure", he replied with "You're not supposed to say that until it's over." This seems like more a season postmortem thread, I'll be proud of the Sox no matter what- but let's win this thing so we can have the real victory to go with the moral one...

~Steve

munchman33
09-30-2008, 03:41 PM
This team, as much as I complain about its problems (and it has a ton), has far exceeded my expectations. Everything since win # 70 has been gravy. :D:

Go Sox!

hellview
09-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Look what happens to teams that take the "hard road" to get to the playoffs. The end up going to the WS. The 2005 Astros, 2006 Cardinals, 2007 Rockies, 2003 Marlins, 2004 Red Sox, and 2006 Tigers all took the tough, gritty road to the postseason and all ended up in the WS. (and some won it. )

Tough and gritty.

Nothing like making up adjectives about a team.

turners56
09-30-2008, 03:49 PM
I changed my mind. No matter what happens tonight I will be proud of this season and proud of these guys. Everyone counted them out this season and no one expected us to get this far (except for us.) and here we are playing the 163rd game of the year. We were in 1st place for something like 145 days this year.

Baseball is a difficult, up and down, back and forth sport. You may win alot of games but, you're going to lose alot too.

So no matter what happens tonite, I'll be disappointed for sure but, I'll still be proud of these guys and I will ALWAYS love the Chicago White Sox.

How 'bout you?

Totally with you. I was embarrassed about this team a couple of days ago, now I feel proud that they're even at where they're at.

Moses_Scurry
09-30-2008, 04:13 PM
3,4,5 years from now, I'll look back at this team with some measure of pride no matter what happens tonight.

However, this offseason will be pretty difficult if they lose. Plus, I will be very trigger-shy if they get off to a good start next season.

If they win tonight, but get swept by T-Bay, I will feel a hell of alot better than if they lose tonight though.

BeviBall!
09-30-2008, 04:20 PM
:whocares:

oeo
09-30-2008, 04:21 PM

Didn't he say that before the playoffs even started?

Well, the playoffs started Sunday for us.

PKalltheway
09-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Not to make excuses for the Sox or anything, but I find it pretty remarkable for them to even be in this situation, considering that they've been without Quentin for nearly a month. Yes, I know they have a lot of depth, but losing your MVP candidate (in September, no less) is a pretty big blow.

Frontman
09-30-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm always proud to be a Sox fan. Some years its easier than others.

The entire baseball world is watching our team in a one game/all or nothing situation; which is rare. Whatever may come, I'm proud of them this year.

They didn't give up; and while they could of ended this a week or two ago, the same can be said for the Twins. They had the Sox, and with one or two wins against KANSAS CITY of all teams; could of put the division away themselves.

From the emergence of TCQ and Alexei; to Mark/Gavin/John proving they are as good as advertised, what a season.

Yes, they sit on the verge of going home; but they also sit on the edge of needing 11 more wins to become champions. It's time to rally, its time "Black Out" US Cellular Field.

"Sons of Bridgeport! Of Of Armour Park! My brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our passion and break all bonds of swaggerness. But it is not this day! An hour of Piranyas and shattered mattabattacolas, when the Age of The White Sox comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand! Men of the Southside!"

nysox35
09-30-2008, 04:41 PM

One of my favorite Ozzie quotes and favorite clips from the 2005 dvds. Agreed, "Win dis ting!!!"

LoveYourSuit
09-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Not to make excuses for the Sox or anything, but I find it pretty remarkable for them to even be in this situation, considering that they've been without Quentin for nearly a month. Yes, I know they have a lot of depth, but losing your MVP candidate (in September, no less) is a pretty big blow.

You just did.

turners56
09-30-2008, 05:05 PM
One of my favorite Ozzie quotes and favorite clips from the 2005 dvds. Agreed, "Win dis ting!!!"

I thought he said "Win this thin" when I first heard him say that.

turners56
09-30-2008, 05:06 PM
After all of the events in the past week, this game feels like game 7 of the World Series.

Hendu
09-30-2008, 05:43 PM
Very few teams can overcome some of the injuries we've had this year...losing a starting pitcher, an MVP candidate, a starting 3B, a set-up guy, etc. Not to mention going into the season we had some big question marks. No matter what happens tonight, I'll be proud of the 2008 Sox.

Now let's beat the crap out of the Twinkies and then win a few more series after that.

doublem23
09-30-2008, 05:47 PM
After last year mercifully ended, if you told me the Sox would be playing in Game 163 for a chance to go to the play-offs, I'd have been happy.

Yeah, we were in 1st most of the year, but it's not like we've really ever run away with things. I'll be dissapointed in the short term, yes, but after a little time, I'm sure I'll remember all the good and fun from 2008 favorably.

Plus, as soon as this season ends, whether it be tonight, next week, or after our championship parade, I'll be stoked for '09. :cool:

Frontman
09-30-2008, 10:10 PM
No matter what, this season has rocked.