PDA

View Full Version : Where did Thome go?

WhiteSoxAl
09-30-2008, 05:36 AM
With 3 strikeouts yesterday and a pretty dismal overall September, I was wondering if anyone knows why he has failed to show up lately. He usually kills his old team , the Indians, but didn't even do that on their recent visit to the Cell. His position in the lineup means he will bat often with MISP in key situations and we need him to come through. Maybe today.

Mohoney
09-30-2008, 06:41 AM
I feel your pain. It does seem lately like any halfway decently located pitch to him, especially offspeed, will lead to a swing and a miss. He doesn't seem to be hitting anything hard if it's not a total mistake.

palehozenychicty
09-30-2008, 08:25 AM
I feel your pain. It does seem lately like any halfway decently located pitch to him, especially offspeed, will lead to a swing and a miss. He doesn't seem to be hitting anything hard if it's not a total mistake.

He may just be worn down, as he played a lot more consistently this season. Hopefully, he has something left for tonight and October.

hawkjt
09-30-2008, 08:38 AM
As Hawk would say...he needs to jam himself a few times. Maybe he ducksnorts a grounder to the left side for a basehit or allows an oppo shot on an offspeed pitch. Get a little inside out element to his swing cus right now getting around everything just aint working.

C'mon Big Jim....you are due.

RockyMtnSoxFan
09-30-2008, 08:55 AM
Well, he is quite old, and trying to hit every single pitch out of the park is taxing on an old body. Plus, it's getting colder, and he doesn't play as well when it's cold. What were you expecting?

beasly213
09-30-2008, 09:09 AM
I have seen Jim Thome come through in the clutch a grand total of 4 times in his entire White Sox career.

I am not a Jim Thome fan and never have been.

TomBradley72
09-30-2008, 09:37 AM
He was completely "in between" yesterday. Taking good pitches, swinging at bat pitches...couldn't catch up with the fastball. He finds a way to put up huge numbers...but once the other team starts to go with their LOOGY's...he's completely useless.

And he'll be a year older and slower next year!

RockyMtnSoxFan
09-30-2008, 09:44 AM
I have seen Jim Thome come through in the clutch a grand total of 4 times in his entire White Sox career.

My sentiments exactly. Enough with the old, slow sluggers.

oeo
09-30-2008, 09:47 AM
He was completely "in between" yesterday. Taking good pitches, swinging at bat pitches...couldn't catch up with the fastball. He finds a way to put up huge numbers...but once the other team starts to go with their LOOGY's...he's completely useless.

And he'll be a year older and slower next year!

Completely useless is Junior, not Thome. Thome will at least make an AB out of it against a LOOGY. Just put three breaking balls on the outside corner and Junior is finished. This is why Seay is a ****ing dumbass for walking him last night.

Were you complaining two years ago when we acquired him? He had a monster year in 2006. Now we have to live with him, and it's not like he's been Frank Thomas or Gary Sheffield bad.

jabrch
09-30-2008, 09:57 AM
With 3 strikeouts yesterday and a pretty dismal overall September, I was wondering if anyone knows why he has failed to show up lately. He usually kills his old team , the Indians, but didn't even do that on their recent visit to the Cell. His position in the lineup means he will bat often with MISP in key situations and we need him to come through. Maybe today.

This has a nice beat. You can dance to it. I give it 3 Trolls Up!
:dtroll::dtroll::dtroll:

jabrch
09-30-2008, 09:58 AM

Yeah - this team that is on the verge of making the playoffs sucks. Let's bring in a bunch of young slap and ticklers into our ballpark that is build for HR hitters. That will fix everything.

beasly213
09-30-2008, 10:02 AM
Yeah - this team that is on the verge of making the playoffs sucks. Let's bring in a bunch of young slap and ticklers into our ballpark that is build for HR hitters. That will fix everything.

No teal?

salty99
09-30-2008, 10:44 AM
He is hitting .200 in Sept. so it's time to step up.

jabrch
09-30-2008, 10:52 AM
No teal?

Sorry - that was supposed to be implicit teal...I'll fix.

Lip Man 1
09-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Jab:

By all accounts speed will be addressed this off season for good or for ill.

As you know I think the Sox desperately need two or three guys in the starting lineup who can run more then hit home runs.

I mean how many home run hitters are needed in a lineup?

The Sox can't win with six or seven next season? That's not sufficient??

Lip

Jurr
09-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Jab:

As you know I think the Sox desperately need two or three guys in the starting lineup who can run more then hit home runs.

Lip
We saw what motion and baserunners did to the Sox in the 6th inning. Wise stealing second energized the lineup and got the Tigers pitchers a little skiddish.

You MUST have the threat of a SB in your offense to keep pitchers from being able to zero in on the strike zone. Period.

palehozenychicty
09-30-2008, 11:22 AM
Jab:

Lip

Not in Jab's world.

puckereduppiet
09-30-2008, 11:54 AM
Completely useless is Junior, not Thome. Thome will at least make an AB out of it against a LOOGY. Just put three breaking balls on the outside corner and Junior is finished. This is why Seay is a ****ing dumbass for walking him last night.

Let's just get them their World 08 Series rings first.:cool:

MisterB
09-30-2008, 09:51 PM
Hey, there he is!

:D:

swish
09-30-2008, 10:23 PM
I think this thread can be deleted now...

ElevenUp
09-30-2008, 10:33 PM
Thome went 461 feet to center field in the biggest game of the year.

GoSox2K3
09-30-2008, 10:57 PM

Add one more to your grand total. :rolleyes: