PDA

View Full Version : 30 Years Ago - October 2, 1978

Fenway
09-30-2008, 12:33 AM
With the White Sox playin game tomorrow my mind goes back 30 years ago to one of the greatest baseball games ever played, the one game playoff between the Red Sox and Yankees. Both teams were tied with 99 wins and it was the end of one of the classic pennant races ever.People seem to think Boston collapsed the final 2 months but the reality was the Yankees played insane baseball after Billy Martin was fired and replaced with Bob Lemon who just told the Yankees to have fun. Also a newspaper strike in New York meant no backpage tabloid garbage was being printed.

Fenway was in turmoil that day as radio station WITS told announcers Ned Martin and Jim Woods that they were fired and Ken Coleman would do the playoffs. Martin and Woods had resisted doing the commercial dropins so common today but not 30 years ago. All these years later they are still the best radio team I have ever heard.

On the TV side I was working for UHF channel 38 (WSBK) and we also provided the video for WPIX which is the tape most often showed today. The game was a technical nightmare as were were using GE color cameras which were fine in fixed lighting but not with the late afternoon autumn shadows especialy in right field.

The WPIX announcers were Phil Rizzuto and Bill White and on WSBK it was Dick Stockton and Ken Harrelson. Keith Jackson did the game on ABC and they brought in the Expos TV truck and crew. Hawk was doing play by play when Dent hit the homer
and he knew instantly the ball was trouble.

Playoff games can be magical such as last year in Denver.

One Spring Training I had the chance to chat with Ernie Harwell and he told me he won the coin flip to call Game 3 of the 1951 NL playoff on TV and Russ Hodges had to do radio. Ernie laughed and said only me and my wife remember I did the TV.

Hodges radio call is of course a classic and it exists only because a Dodgers fan in Brooklyn wanted to have on tape Hodges (who was the Giants announcer) saying Brooklyn won the pennant. Luckily for fans the Brooklyn fan gave the tape to Russ instead of erasing it.

it's s long drive, I do believe...THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT

BTW it was the last game Dick Stockton worked on Red Sox TV as he took a job with CBS and he was replaced by Ned Martin who then teamed with Harrelson for 3 years. Hawk to this day uses Martin's signature call MERCY.

SoxSpeed22
09-30-2008, 12:56 AM
DeWayne ****ing Wise?

hawkjt
09-30-2008, 01:20 AM
I watched that game at some friends house..think I was hung over. It was a huge game nation-wide.. I was ok with the Yanks winning as it was a helluva run and very improbable.

This is the first playoff game in the AL since 95? Did I hear them say it was only the 5th time this has happened in the AL? I can hardly believe that. These games are instant 7th game of the world series pressure. Two young pitchers;who will wilt? Danks seems eager for the chance to redeem himself after Friday's debacle against the Indians. Go Johnny Go.

TDog
09-30-2008, 02:11 AM

This is the first playoff game in the AL since 95? Did I hear them say it was only the 5th time this has happened in the AL? I can hardly believe that. These games are instant 7th game of the world series pressure. Two young pitchers;who will wilt? Danks seems eager for the chance to redeem himself after Friday's debacle against the Indians. Go Johnny Go.

Before divisional play establshed postseason series for teams to get to the World Series, the two major leagues had different rules regarding regular-season ties. The National League played best-of-three series to determine who would go to the World Series 1946, 1951 (the most dramatic), 1959 and 1962. The American League had a one-game playoff in 1948.

In 1964, both the American and National leagues were both decided by one game. Two NL teams finished one game out. The White Sox finished one game behind the Yankees and the Orioles finished two games behind the Yankees. it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if both leagues had required playoffs or stranger yet, if three teams had tied for first in each league.

hawkjt
09-30-2008, 02:35 AM
This is so improbable that for it to end like this. Because they both played mediocre down the stretch takes none of the drama of this pennant race. The Sox and Twins were neck and neck for 4 months,it seems.
I remember the 62 playoff..it was the Giants/Dodgers right?
This will be the most pressure packed game for the Sox ever? They ever have a 7th game?

Fenway
09-30-2008, 06:22 AM
This is so improbable that for it to end like this. Because they both played mediocre down the stretch takes none of the drama of this pennant race. The Sox and Twins were neck and neck for 4 months,it seems.
I remember the 62 playoff..it was the Giants/Dodgers right?
This will be the most pressure packed game for the Sox ever? They ever have a 7th game?

I do believe this is the first winner take all game for the White Sox ever.

The last time the Indians won the World Series in 1948 they had to play the Red Sox in a one game playoff at Fenway which they won easily and ruined the chance of Boston having a subway series with the Boston Braves.

In 1978 everybody said the winner of the Boston-NYY game would win the World Series and of course that happened.

Last year we had the dramatic rally by the Rockies in their last at-bat.

Who knows what is in store tonight.

itsnotrequired
09-30-2008, 08:15 AM
speaking off tiebreakers...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200809293574140&c_id=cws

Fenway
09-30-2008, 10:44 AM
To show how baseball has changed in 30 years MLB now has a logo for the Tiebreaker game.

In 1978 the Red Sox simply told season ticket holders to use ticket marked E-2 (which were stock used for makeup games) and even the tickets sold at the windows said the same think. No date or team on them.

Orta 4-6-3
09-30-2008, 11:40 AM
With the White Sox playin game tomorrow my mind goes back 30 years ago to one of the greatest baseball games ever played, the one game playoff between the Red Sox and Yankees. Both teams were tied with 99 wins and it was the end of one of the classic pennant races ever.People seem to think Boston collapsed the final 2 months but the reality was the Yankees played insane baseball after Billy Martin was fired and replaced with Bob Lemmon who just told the Yankees to have fun. Also a newspaper strike in New York meant no backpage tabloid garbage was being printed.

Fenway was in turmoil that day as radio station WITS told announcers Ned Martin and Jim Woods that they were fired and Ken Coleman would do the playoffs. Martin and Woods had resisted doing the commercial dropins so common today but not 30 years ago. All these years later they are still the best radio team I have ever heard.

On the TV side I was working for UHF channel 38 (WSBK) and we also provided the video for WPIX which is the tape most often showed today. The game was a technical nightmare as were were using GE color cameras which were fine in fixed lighting but not with the late afternoon autumn shadows especialy in right field.

The WPIX announcers were Phil Rizzuto and Bill White and on WSBK it was Dick Stockton and Ken Harrelson. Keith Jackson did the game on ABC and they brought in the Expos TV truck and crew. Hawk was doing play by play when Dent hit the homer
and he knew instantly the ball was trouble.

Playoff games can be magical such as last year in Denver.

One Spring Training I had the chance to chat with Ernie Harwell and he told me he won the coin flip to call Game 3 of the 1951 NL playoff on TV and Russ Hodges had to do radio. Ernie laughed and said only me and my wife remember I did the TV.

Hodges radio call is of course a classic and it exists only because a Dodgers fan in Brooklyn wanted to have on tape Hodges (who was the Giants announcer) saying Brooklyn won the pennant. Luckily for fans the Brooklyn fan gave the tape to Russ instead of erasing it.

it's s long drive, I do believe...THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT

BTW it was the last game Dick Stockton worked on Red Sox TV as he took a job with CBS and he was replaced by Ned Martin who then teamed with Harrelson for 3 years. Hawk to this day uses Martin's signature call MERCY.

Greatest baseball game I ever saw, despite the outcome (the Red Sox were my second favorite team then).

Fenway
09-30-2008, 12:00 PM
Greatest baseball game I ever saw, despite the outcome (the Red Sox were my second favorite team then).

It may well have been the greatest game ever played considering what was at stake.

Boston SHOULD have tied or even won the game in the ninth when Jerry Remy hit a smash to right field that Lou Piniella still hasn't seen losing it in the late afternoon sun. He stuck his arms out and the ball bounced into his glove. Burrlelson was forced to hold up at second and Remy at first. If the ball got by Lou it may have been an inside the park homer. Piniella has admitted he had no clue where the ball was until it hit his glove.

Also forgotten is who hit the homer that won the game...Reggie Jackson.

Greatest game I ever saw even though the outcome just crushed me. I left the park saying the Red Sox will never top this. Of course then came 1986 :tongue:

Tragg
09-30-2008, 02:13 PM
My memory from that year is of Ron Guidry, who was from the town I was living and grew up in...the local station would broadcast Yankee games in which he pitched. He had a super year.

Sox4ever77
09-30-2008, 02:20 PM
My memory from that year is of Ron Guidry, who was from the town I was living and grew up in...the local station would broadcast Yankee games in which he pitched. He had a super year.

He sure did. One of the most dominant years by any pitcher. I was always amazed that a little guy like Guidry could throw so damn hard.

asindc
09-30-2008, 02:30 PM
I remember seeing that 1978 game. It felt like a playoff game, and for years I thought MLB regarded it as a playoff game. Of course, it is largely semantics, since I imagine the atmosphere at the park tonight will surpass even some playoff games in recent memory.

I was rooting for the Yanks because of Bucky Dent (for the younger fans who might not know, Dent was the White Sox SS before going to the Yanks). When he hit that HR, that was one of the best moments I had seen in baseball.

LITTLE NELL
09-30-2008, 02:39 PM
I made my only visit to Fenway Park in July that year and Red Sox were up by 8 or 9 games and those obnoxious fans were already celebrating a World Championship, it came 26 years later. We had seats in the last row behind 3rd base and I'll never forget this lady behind me who had standing room yelling c'mon Dewey (Dwight Evans) for 9 innings.

Sox4ever77
09-30-2008, 02:41 PM
I remember seeing that 1978 game. If felt like a playoff game, and for years I thought MLB regarded it as a playoff game. Of course, it is largely semantics, since I imagine the atmosphere at the park tonight will surpass even some playoff games in recent memory.

I was rooting for the Yanks because of Bucky Dent (for the younger fans who might not know, Dent was the White Sox SS before going to the Yanks). When he hit that HR, that was one of the best moments I had seen in baseball.

Dent is also the last home grown SS, that the Sox developed.

Fenway
09-30-2008, 04:33 PM
I remember seeing that 1978 game. It felt like a playoff game, and for years I thought MLB regarded it as a playoff game. Of course, it is largely semantics, since I imagine the atmosphere at the park tonight will surpass even some playoff games in recent memory.

Just before the homer Hawk was surprised Lemon didn't pinch hit for Dent as the Yankees needed a big hit with 2 outs against Torrez who had pitched a solid game up to that point. He even pointed out Dent only had 4 homers all year.

Guidry didn't have his best stuff that day but still got the win and Gossage was hit hard but did get Yaz for the final out.

BeviBall!
09-30-2008, 04:39 PM
I knew this was gonna be red sox related. I knew it!!!11!!

LITTLE NELL
09-30-2008, 06:55 PM
It may well have been the greatest game ever played considering what was at stake.

Boston SHOULD have tied or even won the game in the ninth when Jerry Remy hit a smash to right field that Lou Piniella still hasn't seen losing it in the late afternoon sun. He stuck his arms out and the ball bounced into his glove. Burrlelson was forced to hold up at second and Remy at first. If the ball got by Lou it may have been an inside the park homer. Piniella has admitted he had no clue where the ball was until it hit his glove.

Also forgotten is who hit the homer that won the game...Reggie Jackson.

Greatest game I ever saw even though the outcome just crushed me. I left the park saying the Red Sox will never top this. Of course then came 1986 :tongue:
Most baseball experts would say that game 6 of the 75 series was the best. That was the Fisk foul pole homer. I know I was glued to the TV and actually pulling for Fenway's team.

Railsplitter
09-30-2008, 07:09 PM
If that game had been played at Yankee Stadium (or most of AL parks of the time), Dent's homer is a routine fly out and there's no Bucky ****in' Dent.

pasquasroachclip
10-01-2008, 12:36 AM
I do believe this is the first winner take all game for the White Sox ever.

The last time the Indians won the World Series in 1948 they had to play the Red Sox in a one game playoff at Fenway which they won easily and ruined the chance of Boston having a subway series with the Boston Braves.

In 1978 everybody said the winner of the Boston-NYY game would win the World Series and of course that happened.

Last year we had the dramatic rally by the Rockies in their last at-bat.

Who knows what is in store tonight.

Technically this was the second winner take all game for the Sox - in 1908 they lost to Detroit 7-0 on the last day of the season to finish 1 1/2 behind the Tigers. Had they won, they would have finished 1/2 game ahead. Back in those days, any games unplayed at the end of the season were not made up.

illini81887
10-01-2008, 01:47 AM
How was Hawk's call of the Dent HR?

DSpivack
10-01-2008, 01:50 AM
Technically this was the second winner take all game for the Sox - in 1908 they lost to Detroit 7-0 on the last day of the season to finish 1 1/2 behind the Tigers. Had they won, they would have finished 1/2 game ahead. Back in those days, any games unplayed at the end of the season were not made up.

Huh? Why the 2-game swing?

WhiteSox5187
10-01-2008, 02:17 AM
How was Hawk's call of the Dent HR?
Fenway in his sig a while back had Hawk's call where he said "That's trouble...dad gummit" which makes me wonder if that is his first call using "dad gummit."

Viva Medias B's
10-01-2008, 08:48 AM
A lot of clips of Dent's home run have the announcer saying "That's deep to left!..." Who was it? It did not sound like Rizzuto, Hawk, or Jackson.

Fenway
10-01-2008, 09:03 AM
A lot of clips of Dent's home run have the announcer saying "That's deep to left!..." Who was it? It did not sound like Rizzuto, Hawk, or Jackson.

Bill White's call on WPIX is the one most shown today.

Hawk's call still airs in New England.

pasquasroachclip
10-01-2008, 12:54 PM
Huh? Why the 2-game swing?

The Sox were 1/2 game out behind Detroit with one to play. Had they beaten Detroit on the last day, they would have won the pennant by 1/2 game. Since they lost, they finished 1 1/2 games out. Like I said earlier, they didn't make up rainouts back then, so a team could win the pennant by 1/2 game. There's a book by Dave Anderson from the NY Times that goes into detail about the 1908 pennant race.