PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Danny boy and thank you Jerry!

kevingrt
05-16-2002, 09:41 PM
CG no runs, a couple of hits, no real trouble. So INSPERATIONAL! Just amazing! I love it. If he can be like a 7 ip giving up around 3 runs I'd LOVE IT. I'm so happy tonite. Got tix for tommrow, GREAT GAME today. Just all good for the Sox and there fans. Just really good outing. I hope he can now keep his ERA below 4.50 if so I'd love it and he'll get 10 or more wins. I'm just so happy I can't keep it in! YIPPY! See ay tommorow at a CHILLY Comiskey Ballpark

RedPinStripes
05-16-2002, 09:42 PM
Danny was dominating tonight. he looked great! Keep it up bud.

I'm glad JM let him go the distence. I think Wright needed this for confidence.

Since I give credit where it's due, Wright couldn't have done this tonight without Royce's Defense behind him. It's nice knowing that a routine ground ball will be a dp. If Royce could hit a little better, i'd lay off him.

Great job tonight south siders!!!!! :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

OfficerKarkovice
05-16-2002, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Since I give credit where it's due, Wright couldn't have done this tonight without Royce's Defense behind him. It's nice knowing that a routine ground ball will be a dp. If Royce could hit a little better, i'd lay off him.

Great job tonight south siders!!!!! :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

2 knocks for Choice tonight...I guess you have to start somewhere.

BackInBlack
05-16-2002, 10:16 PM
I thought the Sox were off tonight. I was getting ready for bed (full load this summer session) and decided to check the scores before turning it in. I figured, "let's see if the Cubs lost again." Even better, I see "Chicago White Sox." What? 4-0? Double-take. Caption reads: Wright throws first career shut out. Triple take followed by extreme euphoria.
I think we all have to accept we got some talented young guys who are gonna take their lumps. The kids gotta learn their lessons if they're to develop into a premier pitching staff.

This year, the hope should be for the kids to learn and maybe do some damage in the playoffs.

Next year: All grown up. Time to take care of a little unfinished business.

Garrison
05-16-2002, 10:29 PM
Wow was he awesome or what? I am really excited about this performance. I have always liked Wright, but I really got down on him earlier this season after those couple of rough outings. I would like to apologize to Danny and I hope he'll forgive me. Obviously he still needs some consistency, but tonight reinforced the fact that he has powerful stuff when he's on his game and can dominate. I don't want to see him traded anymore. I'll take my lumps with this guy from now on and hope for the best. If we can ride out a few rough outings and keep giving him the ball, then he's going to be a real good pitcher IMO. Don't give up on this kid yet, not by a long shot. I think this had to be a huge confidence boost for Danny. Complete game shutout, and he evens his record at 4-4. Danny Danny Danny Danny.....!

"Let's get it on!"
:millslane

guillen4life13
05-16-2002, 10:36 PM
happiness is a warm gun

(bang bang, shoot shoot!)

bjmarte
05-17-2002, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Wright mentioned Royce by name in reference to feeling comfortable on the mound during his interview after the game on fox sports.

doublem23
05-17-2002, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by bjmarte

Wright mentioned Royce by name in reference to feeling comfortable on the mound during his interview after the game on fox sports.

:hitless
That's it, Dan... Say all the right things... You wouldn't want some of these "less than flattering" pictures to get released, would you?

bjmarte
05-17-2002, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by doublem23

:hitless
That's it, Dan... Say all the right things... You wouldn't want some of these "less than flattering" pictures to get released, would you?

Now that you mention it, he did look a little nervous. I assumed it was just from being interviewed. I should have known better.

GASHWOUND
05-17-2002, 07:28 AM
Who knew Wright was gonna throw a CG shutout?! Whoa! Now that's what I want to see from our young guys. And just 1 walk in 9 innings...Ahhh, a breath of fresh air. Now lets see what Garland can do against the Angels, time for some revenge

rmusacch
05-17-2002, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
Who knew Wright was gonna throw a CG shutout?! Whoa! Now that's what I want to see from our young guys. And just 1 walk in 9 innings...Ahhh, a breath of fresh air. Now lets see what Garland can do against the Angels, time for some revenge

I don't know if my heart can take the up and down outings of our pitchers. I loved Wright's performance tonight, only thing that made me mad about it is that I did not start him for my fantasy team this week.

Randar68
05-17-2002, 09:52 AM
My interpretation of the night:

Danny once again realized he is not a finesse pitcher. However, he still could not put hitters away because he doesn't trust his stuff enough. He would get ahead of almost every every hitter, and then get back to 2-2 or worse before doing something. Looking at his strike to ball ratio, it wasn't as dominating as it looked. A lot of balls were hit sharply at people. He was effectively wild (although very effectively wild...LOL)

Again, our young guys have some great stuff, but they need to trust it and they will have some terrible outings and some dominant ones. As fans, we must temper our reactions to both. We can't all act like chicken little when one of these youngsters makes a mistake or has a bad outing. It's all part of their development. Wright was rushed last year and he is still working on less than a full year of major league experience. Garland is what, 22 years old?

We need to relax. I feel comfortable with Buehrle, Ritchie, Garland and Wright in our rotation. I do feel we need to solidify our 5th spot wih either a dependable veteran or someone we can at least expect to get us through the 6th inning on average. We haven't looked competetive in any of our last 4 or 5, 5th starter's starts.

There isn't a whole lot available in the market, and there is only a small set of guys I would give up good talent for, however, we need to be patient. As Garland and Wright get more experience and hopefully more confidence, they will emerge as good starters. They both just have trouble putting hitters away at this time.

Garrison
05-17-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Again, our young guys have some great stuff, but they need to trust it and they will have some terrible outings and some dominant ones. As fans, we must temper our reactions to both. We can't all act like chicken little when one of these youngsters makes a mistake or has a bad outing. It's all part of their development. Wright was rushed last year and he is still working on less than a full year of major league experience. Garland is what, 22 years old?

I'll be one of the first to admit I have pulled a chicken little here. But last night made me realize that it's not the end of the world and these guys are still very young and inexperienced and when you think about it, doing a hell of a good job given what they've been asked to do. Start on a consistent basis at age 22 or with less than a year in the bigs? Most guys couldn't do it, so you can't expect them to be awesome. They've shown flashes of something great to come though. The more consistency they get and the more times there are good outings than bad then they'll be just fine. I'm prepared to take it on the chin a few times with these guys and to grow up with them. As long as they keep getting better, I back them 100%