PDA

View Full Version : Renteria Released

Lip Man 1
09-29-2008, 10:24 PM
ESPN has reported the Tigers have announced they will not pick up Edgar Renteria's option for 2009.

Keep in mind, Kenny was trying to get him for a few years.

The early money had the Sox going after Orlando Hudson to play 2nd, Chone Figgins to play 3rd and move Ramirez to short.

Now?

You never know, Renteria could be at short, Ramirez stays at second and they just go after Chone Figgins.

Lip

Sockinchisox
09-29-2008, 10:26 PM
Renteria is brutal at short.

Pass.

turners56
09-29-2008, 10:27 PM
Renteria is an NL player. Let some AAAA team pick him up.

OC's been much better than him this year.

FedEx227
09-29-2008, 10:27 PM
Stay away. Renteria is on the way down, BADLY. He's gotten slower, less patient at the plate, reduced power, less stolen bases, regressed defensively... stay away.

SoxSpeed22
09-29-2008, 10:28 PM
I'd rather have O-Dog at 2nd.

hawkjt
09-29-2008, 10:28 PM
He has been good in the NL but Tiger fans hated him by the end.
Pass.

jdm2662
09-29-2008, 10:30 PM
NO NO and NO. Stay away Kenny.

Billy Ashley
09-29-2008, 10:46 PM
Few players have declined as steadily as he has. If you throw out 2007, every part of his game has gone hill fast.

He's an awful fielder at this point (which is sad given that he was actually above average with Florida and later St. Louis) and he's just not much of a hitter either.

Lukin13
09-29-2008, 11:08 PM
Chone Figgins to play 3rd

Lip

While I LOVE the idea of Chone bringing his speed and OBP to the southside... what exactly is his situation in LAA?

I read on here all the time that he is available but why wouldn't the Angels offer him arbitration?

Tragg
09-29-2008, 11:11 PM
Renteria? Just what the Sox need: more declining 30+ year old veterans.

youth

Brian26
09-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Renteria is an NL player. Let some AAAA team pick him up.

An NL player and bonafide headcase. Let the Flubs pick him up. I want no part of him.

Billy Ashley
09-29-2008, 11:16 PM
The White Sox should sign him and hold onto Cabrera just to have Ozzie Gullien mediate after the initial fist fight that would ensue upon his arrival with O.C. during spring training

pczarapa
09-29-2008, 11:16 PM
ESPN has reported the Tigers have announced they will not pick up Edgar Renteria's option for 2009.

The early money had the Sox going after Orlando Hudson to play 2nd, Chone Figgins to play 3rd and move Ramirez to short.

Now?

You never know, Renteria could be at short, Ramirez stays at second and they just go after Chone Figgins.

Lip

He was great with Atlanta in 2007, not so much this year. Never had a stellar glove, but serviceable.

Domeshot17
09-29-2008, 11:22 PM
I only do this if you can get Figgins to play 3rd or Roberts to play 2b with Alexei moving to CF.

If you get a REAL lead off hitter Renteria is fundamentally sound enough to be a nice hitter in the 2 hole

FedEx227
09-29-2008, 11:26 PM
I only do this if you can get Figgins to play 3rd or Roberts to play 2b with Alexei moving to CF.

What pieces do you suspect we have to trade for both Chone Figgins and Brian Roberts? Both are signed under contracts next season.

Domeshot17
09-29-2008, 11:28 PM
What pieces do you suspect we have to trade for both Chone Figgins and Brian Roberts? Both are signed under contracts next season.

I said or not and

but I guess it is slightly possible

Pk to the angels for Figgins

Fields-Poreda-Getz-Logan:D: for Roberts?

WhiteSox5187
09-30-2008, 12:10 AM
I think the Angels are looking to get rid of Figgins, he might be able to be had quite cheaply.

Tragg
09-30-2008, 12:13 AM
We need to fill some of these positions with free agents.
We really don't have much to trade and what young talent we have, we need to keep.

Billy Ashley
09-30-2008, 12:14 AM
I think the Angels are looking to get rid of Figgins, he might be able to be had quite cheaply.

He could very well be worth picking up now that his value is super low.

The question is of course, is the complete lack of power he showed this year indicative of a new baseline of performance or is it likely that he'll revert back to his old .390 ish slugging self? If he does that, he's very valuable. At .316? I don't know.

DSpivack
09-30-2008, 12:18 AM
Once a great shortstop, but no longer. Pass.

JB98
09-30-2008, 12:24 AM
Renteria is done. Please, please pass.

LITTLE NELL
09-30-2008, 07:31 AM
Maybe I'm crazy but Uribe deserves a shot a 2B next year. He stepped up at 3B for us and played really well at 2B earlier in the year but he was'nt hitting so TCM got a chance. So I'll go with Figgins at 3B, TCM at short and Uribe at 2B.

Mohoney
09-30-2008, 07:57 AM
Maybe I'm crazy but Uribe deserves a shot a 2B next year. He stepped up at 3B for us and played really well at 2B earlier in the year but he was'nt hitting so TCM got a chance. So I'll go with Figgens at 3B, TCM at short and Uribe at 2B.

It would depend on what the difference in salary is between Orlando Hudson and Juan Uribe. I would go as far as $3 million more to bring Hudson in, but if Hudson is around $5 million more, I would probably rather invest that money in a quality bullpen arm.

I'm not going to allow Uribe's performance in August and September to fool me into thinking that he is anything more than a #9 hitter with good power and horrid OBP. If he's a starter next year (and I would much prefer him on the bench), then we need to grab an outfielder with speed THAT CAN HIT (which disqualifies Owens and Anderson) for CF.

LITTLE NELL
09-30-2008, 08:01 AM
It would depend on what the difference in salary is between Orlando Hudson and Juan Uribe. I would go as far as $3 million more to bring Hudson in, but if Hudson is around $5 million more, I would probably rather invest that money in a quality bullpen arm.

I'm not going to allow Uribe's performance in August and September to fool me into thinking that he is anything more than a #9 hitter with good power and horrid OBP. If he's a starter next year (and I would much prefer him on the bench), then we need to grab an outfielder with speed THAT CAN HIT (which disqualifies Owens and Anderson) for CF.
Thats what I was thinking, go get a fast leadoff centerfielder.

Chez
09-30-2008, 08:41 AM
I would try to work out a 2 year deal with Cabrera. The guy has been solid (not spectacular, but solid) all year and our best hitter in September. It's unlikely that O.C. will be back, but I'd prefer a 2 year deal for Cabrera than a 5 year deal for Hudson.

oeo
09-30-2008, 09:00 AM
Maybe I'm crazy but Uribe deserves a shot a 2B next year. He stepped up at 3B for us and played really well at 2B earlier in the year but he was'nt hitting so TCM got a chance. So I'll go with Figgins at 3B, TCM at short and Uribe at 2B.

No, no, no. Uribe should not be starting at any position next year. I appreciate how he's stepped into 3B so well this year, but he is not a major league starter. He's proven that over his career, and yet again this year when he was at his best as a utility guy.

The only way Uribe should be brought back is as a utility player.

palehozenychicty
09-30-2008, 09:11 AM

Now?

Lip

Please no. How many players can we pick up that are clearly pass their prime. I hope that Griffey is the last straw for a long, long time. Renteria's done.

palehozenychicty
09-30-2008, 09:11 AM

Now?

Lip

Please no. How many players can we pick up that are clearly pass their prime? I hope that Griffey is the last straw for a long, long time. Renteria's done.

palehozenychicty
09-30-2008, 09:12 AM
No, no, no. Uribe should not be starting at any position next year. I appreciate how he's stepped into 3B so well this year, but he is not a major league starter. He's proven that over his career, and yet again this year when he was at his best as a utility guy.

The only way Uribe should be brought back is as a utility player.

It's unbelievable that people still think Uribe is good enough to start on a ML team.

palehozenychicty
09-30-2008, 09:15 AM

If you get a REAL lead off hitter Renteria is fundamentally sound enough to be a nice hitter in the 2 hole

If you have seen Renteria play the past couple of years, you wouldn't do this.

NLaloosh
09-30-2008, 10:28 AM
I have to really question the validity of Renteria's stated age. He was great but has truly declined like a player several years older.

DumpJerry
09-30-2008, 10:37 AM
Now we know why the Braves gave him to the Tigers for nothing.

hellview
09-30-2008, 10:45 AM

Yeah Jair Jurrjens & Gorkys Hernández sure are nothing.

cleanwsox
09-30-2008, 10:46 AM

Actually the Tigers made it worse by sending a young starter who had a great year in Jair Jurrjens.

But they have Robertson and Willis in the rotation, so they should be fine.

:smile:

hellview
09-30-2008, 10:46 AM
I have to really question the validity of Renteria's stated age. He was great but has truly declined like a player several years older.

He hit .332/.390/.470 last season.

I just really don't think he's an AL guy. His two worst seasons came when he was in Boston and Detroit.

DumpJerry
09-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Yeah Jair Jurrjens & Gorkys Hernández sure are nothing.

Actually the Tigers made it worse by sending a young starter who had a great year in Jair Jurrjens.

But they have Robertson and Willis in the rotation, so they should be fine.

:smile:
At the time the deal was done, people were on here howling about Kenny missing an opportunity because the Tigers gave up nothing to get him. The feeling was that we could have sent a bag of balls for him. Hindsight is 20/20.

hellview
09-30-2008, 11:00 AM
At the time the deal was done, people were on here howling about Kenny missing an opportunity because the Tigers gave up nothing to get him. The feeling was that we could have sent a bag of balls for him. Hindsight is 20/20.

No cause anyone who pays attention to prospects and minor league ball knew both Gorkys Hernández and Jair were highly reguarded prospects.

chaerulez
09-30-2008, 11:03 AM
What makes Renteria so bad in the AL? Isn't his role as a contact hitter the same? And playing without a pitcher in the lineup wouldn't he get better pitches to see (depending where he was in the lineup of course)?

khan
09-30-2008, 11:09 AM
I'll agree with the others here who haves stated the obvious: That Renteria's performance has declined in recent years. At the same time, the Sox really DO need to fill 2 IF spots for next year: 3B, and either of 2B or SS.

In my world, IF [and this is a big "IF] you're counting on Beckham to blossom into a big league 3B or SS or 2B, he's still years away from being ready. I don't buy into the Getz or Bourgeois(sp?) hype, because they have the added burden of never having done it at the big league level AND they come from a craptacular minor league system. With this in mind, there will have to be a stop-gap solution at these spots until these younger guys are ready, if ever.

So, to fill these two spots [3B & 2B or SS], at least ONE will have to come via FA, IMO. Therefore, it becomes a game of what Renteria costs vs. what Hudson will cost in FA; Then HOPE & PRAY that Figgins can be gotten with the empty cupboard the Sox have in the minors.

If Renteria can be had for a song, then that leaves more money on the table for:

1. A SP to replace Contreras, OR
2. A RP that can both get guys out AND stay healthy, OR
3. AN OF that can catch AND steal bases AND get on base, OR
4. Whatever other priority that one can envision for the Sox.

So, I'll say Yes, sign him, but only at the right price. Because I'd rather have: Renteria + a veteran 5th SP + Figgins than: Hudson + Figgins + Broadway losing every 5 days and ruining his development and future trade value in 2009.

hellview
09-30-2008, 11:23 AM
What makes Renteria so bad in the AL? Isn't his role as a contact hitter the same? And playing without a pitcher in the lineup wouldn't he get better pitches to see (depending where he was in the lineup of course)?

I don't know, maybe it's not the AL but playing in towns that came in with high expectation into the season (Boston & Detroit)

Maybe he just can't handle the pressure, who knows?

southside rocks
09-30-2008, 12:01 PM
The White Sox should sign him and hold onto Cabrera just to have Ozzie Gullien mediate after the initial fist fight that would ensue upon his arrival with O.C. during spring training

LOL! That was what I thought too! Paws up, boys!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3356524

Lip Man 1
09-30-2008, 12:44 PM
Folks:

Orlando Cabrera is gone. Put any thoughts out of your head that he wants to stay or that the Sox want him (and it's not just on field / clubhouse issues from what I've been told by a source -- he's politely refused to do any charity work for the team this year citing specifically "his contract situation...)

The Sox will offer arbitration simply to get the draft picks.

The Angels couldn't wait to get rid of him (that comes from a source close to the Angels) and the Sox are in the same boat.

I'm not advocating this, simply saying Kenny has a history of getting players that he's had his eye on and Renteria from some accounts is one of those guys.

Fed Ex:

Figgins is NOT (for the 90th time) a free agent. There are option clauses in his contract that would have to be invoked for him to stay. Everything I've been told by good sources are saying the Angel players dislike him as does the organization, except for Mike Scioscia.

Most feel that he will be available.

The Sox must feel Ozzie can keep him in line.

Lip

khan
09-30-2008, 12:59 PM
Lip,

I understand that Renteria's deal was supposed to be $12M for 2009. Do you have any sense of what his asking price might be if he were to come to Chicago?

NLaloosh
09-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Why would KW go after Renteria now that Vizquel is available ?

I'm guessing SS Kenny's priority list looks like this:

Omar Vizquel
ARod
Louie Aparicio

palehozenychicty
09-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Why would KW go after Renteria now that Vizquel is available ?

I'm guessing SS Kenny's priority list looks like this:

Omar Vizquel
ARod
Louie Aparicio

I want to laugh, but it wouldn't shock me to see Vizquel here next year.

09-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Folks:

Orlando Cabrera is gone. Put any thoughts out of your head that he wants to stay or that the Sox want him (and it's not just on field / clubhouse issues from what I've been told by a source -- he's politely refused to do any charity work for the team this year citing specifically "his contract situation...)

The Sox will offer arbitration simply to get the draft picks.

The Angels couldn't wait to get rid of him (that comes from a source close to the Angels) and the Sox are in the same boat.

I'm not advocating this, simply saying Kenny has a history of getting players that he's had his eye on and Renteria from some accounts is one of those guys.

Fed Ex:

Figgins is NOT (for the 90th time) a free agent. There are option clauses in his contract that would have to be invoked for him to stay. Everything I've been told by good sources are saying the Angel players dislike him as does the organization, except for Mike Scioscia.

Most feel that he will be available.

The Sox must feel Ozzie can keep him in line.

Lip

Mark,

It's true, Williams has targeted Renteria for a long time. KW went after a 33 yr. old SS last winter so I don't see why he wouldn't do the same this winter with Renteria.

There will be a market for him though, and he will get a 3 year deal or at the least a 2 yr. plus option year. In my opinion.

He's the same type of player as Cabrera. As for the off the field stuff and whether he'd fit with the White Sox, hard to say. I think the better question is price. Will the White Sox be interested enough to pay what Renteria will demand?

FedEx227
09-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Mark,

It's true, Williams has targeted Renteria for a long time. KW went after a 33 yr. old SS last winter so I don't see why he wouldn't do the same this winter with Renteria.

There will be a market for him though, and he will get a 3 year deal or at the least a 2 yr. plus option year. In my opinion.

He's the same type of player as Cabrera. As for the off the field stuff and whether he'd fit with the White Sox, hard to say. I think the better question is price. Will the White Sox be interested enough to pay what Renteria will demand?

Hopefully not. He's worse defensively, offensively and attitude-wise than OC.

Tragg
09-30-2008, 02:04 PM
The only way Uribe should be brought back is as a utility player. Agree

NLaloosh
09-30-2008, 02:08 PM
Seriously, I have to believe that it's certain that Alexei is the SS next year and that Uribe is a bench player if he's back. I would take these 2 things to the bank.

Oblong
09-30-2008, 03:02 PM
The Tigers didn't really release him. They just announced they weren't picking up his $11 million option for next year, a $3 million buyout. Renteria all but said he expected that to happen but he still wants to re-sign with the team. Dombrowski gave a post season analysis and didn't rule out resigning him again but I doubt it happens. I think he was just being polite. Who knows. They could still offer him arbitration.

He has no range at SS. He started to pick up his offense later in the season but there was a stretch from Mid April to almost July where he had maybe 2 extra base hits.

You don't want him.

pythons007
09-30-2008, 03:06 PM
I don't understand how B. Roberts keeps getting named dropped in every situation known to man on this site. He isn't coming here so stop saying he is. We are in need of a CF/2B or SS/3B for next year.

Now a possibility is we have Fields a 3B next year because he either needs to play or we need to ship him out of here. Uribe could possible see a lot of time between the 3 positions next year depending on how things work out. I believe management and Uribe's agent have said they want to find a place where he can start. So, I don't see him in a Sox uni next season.

Renteria could be a possibilty so we can develop Beckham (or however you spell his name). I can't see him asking for anything too high after the season he put together with Detroit. I could see an incentive driven contract in his future.

Orlando Hudson seems to always be injured. I really don't want to see him over here because of it. I think he has had significant injuries the last 3 years.

I would love to see Figgins over here because we have been looking for a proven leadoff hitter ever since Pods left. This would definately help us out for one he can play multiple positions. I would rather see him play 2B rather than 3B, for the fact that this is more of a run producing position.

I'm not sure what the contracts of Glaus or Rolen are but those two would be nice to have a 3B (again they are also injury prone but are guys that can drive in runs when healthy). What about Chad Tracey or Aubrey Huff?

As far as CF is concerned I'm not sure what there might be out there but I would like to see another speed guy that can hit in the 2 hole, put down a bunt in situations, move runners over. I would ideally like to see Owens there but he just isn't coming around as a hitter.

PaleHoser
09-30-2008, 03:23 PM
I'm not advocating this, simply saying Kenny has a history of getting players that he's had his eye on Lip

Very true. Using Alomar and Griffey Jr. as examples, Renteria is at least three years away from joining the Sox because KW has to wait until he's utterly washed up.

I still vote no on him. The two full seasons he's played in the AL have been terrible.

Oblong
09-30-2008, 03:27 PM
I don't think it's AL thing. I read that in his one season in Boston he was having marital problems.

This year in Detroit he just looks old and slow.

jdm2662
09-30-2008, 03:58 PM
I don't think it's AL thing. I read that in his one season in Boston he was having marital problems.

He'd be a perfect fit on the Sox then...

Frontman
09-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Stay away. Renteria is on the way down, BADLY. He's gotten slower, less patient at the plate, reduced power, less stolen bases, regressed defensively... stay away.

Had enough of the bolded stuff for a while. I want some speed and some solid defense. Good luck for him, as he's probably heading to the NL anyways.

doublem23
09-30-2008, 05:50 PM

Feasting on NL pitching is good for what ails ya.

Just ask Manny Ramirez... .396/.489/.743 :o: since coming over to AAAA.

MiamiSpartan
09-30-2008, 09:25 PM

He was amazing with the Marlins in his day, but he is a shadow of his former self...
Still remember Game 7 in 97...I was sitting in the upper deck behind home plate for that one...

Lip Man 1
10-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Wednesday in the newspapers, this comment by Kenny caught my eye, another clue for next year?

"We're probably a bit too shaded on the power side of it for me.''

Lip

Carolina Kenny
10-01-2008, 02:06 PM

I'll pass on Rent a Wrecka

NLaloosh
10-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Wednesday in the newspapers, this comment by Kenny caught my eye, another clue for next year?

"We're probably a bit too shaded on the power side of it for me.''

Lip

Wow. That is a revelation. He's really going out on a limb.

A blind man could see that.