PDA

View Full Version : Gavin Floyd Appreciation Thread

Dub25
09-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Before the season I had no confidence in Gavin what so ever. With that being said, he proved me wrong all year. Tonight, I still had a hint of doubt about his courage. Well, I'm glad to say that I was way off. His 5th inning performance was awesome. I am here to say, Gavin, I'm sorry and I'm glad you made me eat crow. Any other doubters should drop a line and admit the same thing. Any people that had faith, feel free to rip me a new one.

Gavin, even though there is still work to be done, here's to ya. :gulp:

soltrain21
09-29-2008, 10:09 PM
I've always had a broner for Gavin Floyd. He is my new Freddy Garcia.

RowanDye
09-29-2008, 10:09 PM
Before the season I had no confidence in Gavin what so ever. With that being said, he proved me wrong all year. Tonight, I still had a hint of doubt about his courage. Well, I'm glad to say that I was way off. His 5th inning performance was awesome. I am here to say, Gavin, I'm sorry and I'm glad you made me eat crow. Any other doubters should drop a line and admit the same thing. Any people that had faith, feel free to rip me a new one.

Gavin, even though there is still work to be done, here's to ya. :gulp:

Nice positive post. Although I think something like "Thanks Gavin Floyd!" would have made a better thread name. Your title made me think that Floyd is leaving the team! :redneck

Dub25
09-29-2008, 10:10 PM
Nice positive post. Although I think something like "Thanks Gavin Floyd!" would have made a better thread name. Your title made me think that Floyd is leaving the team! :redneck

Good call, I just copied from the Buerhle and Konerko one.

BigP50
09-29-2008, 10:11 PM
Thank You God for this big win.

He was with are Sox

DeadMoney
09-29-2008, 10:14 PM
Gavin, you sir are a BIG GAME PITCHER.

He's the man ... 17 wins, 17 WINS!?

I was at a rainy spring training game against the D-Backs where he pitched like absolute crap and I was really nervous about him being in the rotation ... boy how things change.

hawkjt
09-29-2008, 10:14 PM
I've always had a broner for Gavin Floyd. He is my new Freddy Garcia.

Not a bad comparison...Freddy always was pretty stoic out there but was called Big Game Freddy for a good reason...he was relaxed enough to get it done.
Gavin is more tightly wound, but is stoic and just keeps pitching.
He gutted it out on 3 days rest today..clearly his fastball was topping out at 91 when he normally can go 95 so he had to just make it work ...not a lot of command of his hook tonite either but he got it done against a powerful tiger offense.

Thanks, Gavin....first of many huge late fall big wins for the sox,I am sure.
And hey kenny, re-sign Freddy.

MeteorsSox4367
09-29-2008, 10:16 PM
Floyd pitched his heart out today and I was happy that the Sox didn't lose the game because of his throwing error. He certainly has a bright future ahead of him and I think he could be in St. Louis next July for the All-Star Game.

Great job, Gavin. Way to step up today.

kittle42
09-29-2008, 10:23 PM
But wait - someone in the game thread said he was the White Sox' Buckner after he threw the ball away.

soxfan26
09-29-2008, 10:31 PM
He shares a name with my nephew and may have just become my favorite player with that performance tonight!

PaleHoser
09-29-2008, 11:29 PM
He did a stellar job of getting out of that fifth inning first and third and no one out situation when the game was tied 1-1.

I hope we had some pitchers watching so they could learn the difference between pitching and throwing. Absolutely clutch.

:gulp:

TornLabrum
09-30-2008, 12:02 AM
I had to listen to the first seven innings on the radio. It sounded as if Floyd had the poise you'd expect of a guy named Buehrle. If Danks can show the same poise Buehrle and Floyd have to get us where we are today, we'll be playing the Rays on Tuesday.

oeo
09-30-2008, 12:05 AM
Even at the beginning of the season when he was successful, he still looked scared out there. I was worried about him down the stretch, but he's proven me wrong. Tonight, he wasn't scared of a damn thing.

It's been pretty cool watching him develop over the course of the season. Hope he's here for many years to come!

SBSoxFan
09-30-2008, 12:15 AM
I had to listen to the first seven innings on the radio. It sounded as if Floyd had the poise you'd expect of a guy named Buehrle. If Danks can show the same poise Buehrle and Floyd have to get us where we are today, we'll be playing the Rays on Tuesday.

I fully expected Ozzie to pull Floyd after his throwing error. He didn't and Floyd got out of the inning with a strikeout. That, indeed, showed a lot of poise!

Tragg
09-30-2008, 12:15 AM
He's been good all year.

He was effective in a majority of his appearances last year and didn't deserve the verbal beating he took.

On a side note, he had a lot of Ks tonight and a very high pitch count...therein lies the fallacy of the BP notion that Ks are the best way to evaluate pitching...maybe so, but you don't get any 1 or 2 pitch Ks.

chisoxfanatic
09-30-2008, 12:17 AM
Gavin Floyd has huge guts to pitch like he has this season. He held composure even after the error in the 6th. That speaks volumes for the type of pitcher he's become.

If it weren't for him, we wouldn't be in this position.

GoGoCrede
09-30-2008, 12:25 AM
His strikeout of Giambi in New York with the bases loaded earned my complete faith. Still one of the more memorable moments of the season for me. We literally saw him mature before our eyes there.

oeo
09-30-2008, 12:34 AM
He's been good all year.

He was effective in a majority of his appearances last year and didn't deserve the verbal beating he took.

Indeed. He turned his career around last year in June. Whatever needed to be fixed, whether mechanically or mentally (probably both), it was fixed then. He's been on the way up since then.

I think what we've seen in the last couple months is maturation of a pitcher, though. It's been fun to watch.

chisoxmike
09-30-2008, 12:36 AM
Much like Buehrle, he just found a way.

I'm so glad I was completely off on Floyd this year. I had much more confidence in Danks than Floyd.

hawkjt
09-30-2008, 02:07 AM
His strikeout of Giambi in New York with the bases loaded earned my complete faith. Still one of the more memorable moments of the season for me. We literally saw him mature before our eyes there.

Today he had a 14 pitch battle with Granderson and struck him out.
But I don't want to pitch again until Sunday at Soxpark vs the Rays. He could use the extra day of rest after tonite. His fastball topped out at 91 tonite. Need that back up to 95 in his next start. This guy is very important now for the franchise.

Mohoney
09-30-2008, 02:55 AM
Gavin Floyd is nails. Mark Buehrle is nails, too. Hopefully John Danks can join them tomorrow.

harwar
09-30-2008, 08:11 AM
It sounded as if Floyd had the poise you'd expect of a guy named Buehrle. If Danks can show the same poise Buehrle and Floyd have to get us where we are today, we'll be playing the Rays on Tuesday.

Buehrle is the mentor of Floyd and it is obvious is it not .. :)
This is what i have been waiting and hoping for .. the starters have reached another level and now we'll see if Danks can step up or fall back.
And now if the bullpen can get in line behind them .. we are on our way ..