PDA

View Full Version : Best Sox Manager (since 1957)

Viva Magglio
05-16-2002, 10:37 PM
Who was the best Sox manager (since 1957)?

Procol Harum
05-16-2002, 11:34 PM
Verrrrry tough question--generally the Sox have been blessed with good managers down the long years. But, all in all my top five are as follows:

1. Al Lopez the Senor
2. Chuck Tanner
3. Jeff Torborg
4. Tony LaRussa
5. Gene LaMont

I also have a lot of respect for Eddie Stanky's baseball acumen but I disqualify him from the top 5 because his personality was such that he really alienated a lot of his players. And keeping a clubhouse on an even keel is an important part of a skipper's duties.

doublem23
05-17-2002, 12:03 AM
Remember, only one of the names on that list headed a Sox team into the World Series.....

And that's what it's all about, anyway, boys.

Procol Harum
05-17-2002, 05:52 PM
I've kinda been interested watching this thread in comparison with the "Worst Manager" poll/thread--does it say something about our mentality as Sox fans that there's a lot more interest in that subject as opposed to arguing over who was the best manager?

voodoochile
05-17-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
I've kinda been interested watching this thread in comparison with the "Worst Manager" poll/thread--does it say something about our mentality as Sox fans that there's a lot more interest in that subject as opposed to arguing over who was the best manager?

Years of ineptitude have left us bereft of the ability to spot managerial talent, but we know a real dog when we see one...