PDA

View Full Version : Could TCQ's MVP stock have risen?

JermaineDye05
09-29-2008, 05:47 PM
Despite the fact he was on the DL last month, I was just curious for how terrible we have played since we lost him could his MVP stock have risen? Cause surely if he was with us for the whole month we would be in the post season already. Could that be one thing that factors into votes he may receive when the season is over?

DSpivack
09-29-2008, 05:57 PM
No, not enough sportswriters care about the Sox to vote for him.

thomas35forever
09-29-2008, 06:43 PM
He didn't play all this month. He's not gonna win. We'll never know how reliable he would've been down the stretch this year.

I want Mags back
09-29-2008, 06:44 PM
i think giving TCQ the mvp at this point would kinda go against the spirit of the award. Sure the Sox sucking proves that he is more valuable, just as the Pats sucking is proof the Brady should be MVP. but its given to the most valuable player who played.

EndemicSox
09-29-2008, 06:46 PM
His reputation certainly improved...and it is quite evident he is as valuable as any player in the AL now...

Boondock Saint
09-29-2008, 06:52 PM
In reality, hell yes.

In voting results, hell no.

TCQ is obviously the MVP to anyone that's seen us play the last month without him. The problem is that most people that vote for the MVP never watch the Sox.

FedEx227
09-29-2008, 06:56 PM
That's a real stupid way to look at the MVP award. Sorry.

I really, really wish they'd rename the award. Stop this dumb-ass argument over how one defines Most Valuable. Just as I couldn't believe when people wanted to give it to Manny Ramirez for a hot month, this argument is equally as stupid.

He didn't play in the biggest month of the season, there is no way you miss significant time and win the MVP award.

With that being said, the AL MVP is up in the air at this point.

Otherwise
AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee
NL Cy Young: Tim Lincecum
NL MVP: Albert Pujols

DSpivack
09-29-2008, 07:30 PM
Pedroia will get it because he's the scrappiest, most lovable Red Sox out there [despite not being the best hitter on his team].

Bobby Jenks
09-29-2008, 07:32 PM
If the Twins happen to win tommorow,they will give it to Morneau. Just a hunch

chaerulez
09-29-2008, 07:37 PM

I really, really wish they'd rename the award. Stop this dumb-ass argument over how one defines Most Valuable. Just as I couldn't believe when people wanted to give it to Manny Ramirez for a hot month, this argument is equally as stupid.

He didn't play in the biggest month of the season, there is no way you miss significant time and win the MVP award.

Otherwise

I have to agree completely, because he didn't play in the most crucial month of the season he should get the award? We're rewarding him for the Sox being not so good this past month, instead of rewarding someone else for doing well the entire season. I don't care for either the MVP or Cy Young really wouldn't care if they ceased to exist, usually there is no clear cut winner. And what about a guy like CC? He deserves something for the season he's had. But how can you really give an award for AL MVP, it doesn't seem like there really is a clear cut winner at all.

turners56
09-29-2008, 07:45 PM

Otherwise

I have a feeling that Johan and his 2.53 ERA will give Lincecum his money's worth.

Lefty34
09-29-2008, 07:59 PM
I have a feeling that Johan and his 2.53 ERA will give Lincecum his money's worth.

Lincecum's 265 K's and his ability to not give up HR's (only 11 this year) will get the job done, trust me.

turners56
09-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Lincecum's 265 K's and his ability to not give up HR's (only 11 this year) will get the job done, trust me.

Santana has a better ERA+ and a slightly better WHIP. Ks are nice, but what's the difference between that and an out most of the time? It's not like Santana can't strike anybody out either.

In addition to that, even though he gave up only 11 homers, Lincecum's ERA is still higher. So does it really matter?

Lefty34
09-29-2008, 08:07 PM
Santana has a better ERA+ and a slightly better WHIP. Ks are nice, but what's the difference between that and an out most of the time? It's not like Santana can't strike anybody out either.

In addition to that, even though he gave up only 11 homers, Lincecum's ERA is still higher. So does it really matter?

What? Baseball-Reference lists Lincecum's ERA+ (park adjusted) as 164 and Santana's as 163. :scratch:

Billy Ashley
09-29-2008, 08:09 PM
Pedroia will get it because he's the scrappiest, most lovable Red Sox out there [despite not being the best hitter on his team].

He's also an elite defensive 2b while Youkilis is merely a good (and very overrated) defensive first basemen. I don't think it's a losing argument to say Pedrioa is better, I don't think it's a slam dunk either.

The MVP should go to Sizemore, Mauer,A-Rod, Pedrioa or Youkilis depending on how one values the M in MVP. Quentin has had an amazing year but he D really keeps him from having the same value as those other guys this year. However, I'd take comfort in that other than A-Rod and Sizemore, I don't see the other guys doing this year in and year out. Carlos Quentin certainly has the track record to suggest that he could continue what he did this season though.

hawkjt
09-29-2008, 09:20 PM
I think Morneau wins it. He has the numbers. TCQ would have if he had played september but that is the biggest month. Mauer also is right there.
Sizemore? who?

Billy Ashley
09-29-2008, 09:23 PM
I think Morneau wins it. He has the numbers. TCQ would have if he had played september but that is the biggest month. Mauer also is right there.
Sizemore? who?

You go Sizemore or A-Rod if all that matters to you is performance. Sizemore is an above average defensive centerfielder who is also a pretty good hitter and a fairly efficient base stealer. A-Rod is an awesome hitter and a slightly below average third basemen. Given how hard it is to find a someone who can adequately fill center and third, both players have a ton more value (as does Mauer for being a catcher and Pedrioa for being a middle infielder). I like Morneau but he's not had as much shear value as the other people on this list.

Now if you want to talk about who has meant more to their play off team or whatever, we start talking about gray areas that can't really be quantified. Should that stuff matter, I'm not smart enough to answer... we could talk about that all day though.

Eddo144
09-29-2008, 11:10 PM

Well, only when you're talking about hitters. Don't you know that Adam Dunn's strikeouts make him worse than someone with many more total outs?

In all seriousness, Quentin has no shot at the AL MVP award. (And it's not because no one cares about the Sox, that's preposterous. The Sox are probably in ESPN's top-10 choices for the World Series, as they play in the third largest market in the country. Enough with this ridiculous inferiority complex please.) He won't win because you can't miss the last month of the season and win the award that signifies you were the best player in your league over the course of the year.

PushinWeight
09-30-2008, 12:37 AM
Screw the MVP award. I remember reports saying that he would return for the playoffs. Well, I would call tomorrow against the Twins the start of the White Sox postseason so where is TCQ?

Nellie_Fox
09-30-2008, 12:39 AM
Screw the MVP award. I remember reports saying that he would return for the playoffs. Well, I would call tomorrow against the Twins the start of the White Sox postseason so where is TCQ?I seem to remember the reports saying he might be able to return during the postseason. Very different.

TDog
09-30-2008, 12:43 AM
The MVP award would be a nice way to recognize a White Sox player who has an incredible season. It isn't that important, though. It certainly isn't important enough to obsess over.

And I have no idea why writers would vote the award for a player who could have led his team to glory if not injured, instead of voting for a player who did lead his team to glory.

palehozenychicty
09-30-2008, 09:00 AM
He's also an elite defensive 2b while Youkilis is merely a good (and very overrated) defensive first basemen. I don't think it's a losing argument to say Pedrioa is better, I don't think it's a slam dunk either.

The MVP should go to Sizemore, Mauer,A-Rod, Pedrioa or Youkilis depending on how one values the M in MVP. Quentin has had an amazing year but he D really keeps him from having the same value as those other guys this year. However, I'd take comfort in that other than A-Rod and Sizemore, I don't see the other guys doing this year in and year out. Carlos Quentin certainly has the track record to suggest that he could continue what he did this season though.

Pedroia and Youkilis have been pretty damn solid since they got regular playing time. I like Carlos's potential, but he needs to stay on the field for a full season to suggest multiple MVP bids.

PaleHoser
09-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Joe Mauer = AL MVP.

Won batting title and nursed a bunch of rookie starting pitchers to 88 wins. Morneau has RBI numbers because Mauer's on base ahead of him.

All that being said, his season ends tonight. About 9:30 pm tonight:

Mauer = :whiner:

GO SOX!

Mr. White Sox
09-30-2008, 09:27 PM
Pedroia and Youkilis have been pretty damn solid since they got regular playing time. I like Carlos's potential, but he needs to stay on the field for a full season to suggest multiple MVP bids.

As much as I dislike the Red Sox, I think Pedroia would be my MVP vote. He has been steady and effective without the protection of Ortiz (injury) for the full season. Without Pedroia, the Red Sox offense would look a lot more mediocre than it does now.

Billy Ashley
09-30-2008, 10:31 PM
I guess it goes to Pedrioa if the bulk of the voters waited until tonights game to vote, though that hardly seems like a good reason.

He's not a bad candidate if you prescribe to the entire play off team/ how valuable they were to their team theory. I just how that it doesn't go to the wrong twin again. He's had a good year, but if any twin should get it it's Mauer.

White City
09-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Carlos will be World Series MVP after he has his pinch hit/Kirk Gibson moment in Game 1 against Kerry Wood, then throws up a 1.100 OPS the rest of the way.

EuroSox35
10-01-2008, 03:29 AM
Well I guess I'm in the minority if I think it has. Guy goes days from still leading the league in HRs after being out a month. The Sox struggled while he was out. I don't see how you can give it to Morneau after his pathetic display when it mattered most

There is no clear definition of MVP, why are people idiots if they interpret it differently? I see it as being 'valuable' to your team the goal of each team in the regular season is to reach the postseason. If the Sox don't trade for Quentin this year, there's 0 chance they make the playoffs. You've seen how they've played in September to mediocre teams, and I don't think it's only best stats, give some stupid silver slugger award for that.