PDA

View Full Version : If you were a Tiger ....

comet2k
09-29-2008, 12:47 PM
... how hard would you play today? I know Garcia is trying to prove he can stll pitch and that Tiger hitters have no reason not to do their best at the plate. But how hard are you going to run the bases or play your position on a wet field that could increase chances of injury? I'm talking about whether you dive for a ball or crash into a fence in the outfield. Do you slide hard into a catcher who is tring to block the plate and do you take one for the team trying to turn a double play? It's the last game, and they have an off season to recover, but who wants to get hurt in a meaningless game for them?

russ99
09-29-2008, 12:49 PM
... how hard would you play today? I know Garcia is trying to prove he can stll pitch and that Tiger hitters have no reason not to do their best at the plate. But how hard are you going to run the bases or play your position on a wet field that could increase chances of injury? I'm talking about whether you dive for a ball or crash into a fence in the outfield. Do you slide hard into a catcher who is tring to block the plate and do you take one for the team trying to turn a double play? It's the last game, and they have an off season to recover, but who wants to get hurt in a meaningless game for them?

I'd expect them to play very hard. It would come back to haunt them if they ever needed the Twins to play hard in a similar situation.

Magglio and Freddy will really be up for this one, especially Freddy, since he'll be facing his replacement.

Besides, they missed tee times because of this... :D:

Sox4ever77
If you're a ****ing professional, you would play your hardest.

sox1970
How hard did they play yesterday? Or the day before? No difference. It's Game 162, and they'll try to win.

DaveFeelsRight
09-29-2008, 12:50 PM
granderson said on the score that they wont lay down for the sox.

Madvora
09-29-2008, 12:50 PM
If I was getting paid to play baseball for a living, I'd be balls out on every play.

chisoxfanatic
09-29-2008, 12:51 PM
Think of it this way: The Tigers currently trail the Royals by 0.5 games. If they lose today, they'll finish all alone in last place. They'll play hard.

MeteorsSox4367
09-29-2008, 12:51 PM
I'd expect them to play very hard. It would come back to haunt them if they ever needed the Twins to play hard in a similar situation.

I agree. I would think at least some of the Tigers might have an attitude regarding the Sox of 'We're not making the playoffs, so neither should they.'

JermaineDye05
09-29-2008, 12:52 PM

Nor should they, unless they want to be sent packing next year. Every professional should play their hardest no matter what. Which is why I loved Joe Madden for disciplining Justin Upton. Even though he was one of their star players he made sure he made a point that if you don't play as hard as you can and take the game lightly you'll be sent packing, no matter what your name is.

soxinem1
09-29-2008, 12:54 PM
I'd forfeit!!!

AZChiSoxFan
09-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Yesterday I was watching the TBS broadcast of the Marlins and Mets. They commented that someone on the Marlins had made the statement that "this game is our World Series." The Marlins, Indians, and Royals all played well over the weekend. I am very worried about the game today as I fully expect the Tigers to play with more guts and grit than they have shown all season.

kobo
09-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Games have been 'meaningless' for the Tigers for the last 2 weeks. That doesn't mean they stopped playing. They played well against the Rays the last few days, why would they suddenly decide to not give it their all now? I know if I was in their shoes I'd do everything I could to win the game.

NoNeckEra
09-29-2008, 01:00 PM
Games have been 'meaningless' for the Tigers for the last 2 weeks. That doesn't mean they stopped playing. They played well against the Rays the last few days, why would they suddenly decide to not give it their all now? I know if I was in their shoes I'd do everything I could to win the game.
But if they get down early, they're not going to have the same enthusiasm as they would if they were playing for a playoff spot. A better question is, will the Sox be able to respond under this pressure? So far, so bad over the past week.

chisoxfanatic
09-29-2008, 01:01 PM
But if they get down early, they're not going to have the same enthusiasm as they would if they were playing for a playoff spot. A better question is, will the Sox be able to respond under this pressure? So far, so bad over the past week.
I think Gavin will be as ready as ever. Hopefully the hitting will take his lead.

comet2k
09-29-2008, 01:35 PM

I wasn't asking if they were going to "lay down" for the Sox, and if you were Granderson, would you admit on a radio show that you were planning to? That would be your ticket out of MLB.

I've heard Hawk and others talk about being on teams that were out of it and having teammates who didn't give their all every day. My question was whether you play the same as if your team was the one trying to get into the playoffs, like running into a wall and tumbling into the stands after a foul ball.

When literally millions of dollars rides on the condition of your body, I'll bet there are some players in situations like that who might not take the risk. That doesn't mean they won't play hard, just not as hard as they might if more was on the line for them.

Oblong
09-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Sheffield needs another HR for 500 and he said he would do it this year. Cabrera needs four RBI to get the RBI title along with the HR title. Granderson plays hard every single play. The rest of the guys like Dusty Ryan, Ryan Raburn, and Ramon Santiago will try to show that they should be in the plans for next year. Ryan will contend for the catching job as they announced that INge is going back to 3B next year. Renteria's option wasn't picked up so Santiago wants that job. Raburn wants to be the primary backup infielder. Thames and Ordonez are true professionals. As mentioned, Garcia wants to prove he's back to being a MLB pitcher.

Now the Tiger bullpen....? Be thankful the game's at US Cellular where you guys have last at bats. Against the Tiger bullpen that's worth a lot.