PDA

View Full Version : What was the one game that caused this?

downstairs
09-29-2008, 01:10 PM
Not being a dark cloud here- I do think they can pull out two wins at the Cel, and will. But had we one just one more game this year, we'd be in the playoffs right now and not dealing with this mess.

Of course all games count the same, but what one loss this year was "the big one." By that I mean a game we should have won and didn't.

Mr.1Dog
09-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Last Thursday night.

tebman
09-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Last Thursday night.

Or Friday night.

jdm2662
09-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Not being a dark cloud here- I do think they can pull out two wins at the Cel, and will. But had we one just one more game this year, we'd be in the playoffs right now and not dealing with this mess.

Of course all games count the same, but what one loss this year was "the big one." By that I mean a game we should have won and didn't.

Correction, if they would've won one more game, they still be playing today. Now, had they beaten the Twins one more game, they'd be in the playoffs. However, they didn't. There were games where they pissed away, and there were games they had no business winning. That's what happens in baseball. You don't pinpoint one game for a whole season.

I want Mags back
09-29-2008, 01:13 PM
opening day

voodoochile
09-29-2008, 01:14 PM
No, even if the Sox had one more win and one less loss they'd still have to play today's game. Of course it would be for the clinch, not the tie, but the point remains...

You need to find two losses that should have been wins...

sox1970
09-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Opening Day--bad calls.

Orioles down to the last strike.

Orioles suspended game.

Up 6-1 at Minnesota last week, and blow it.

CHISOXFAN13
09-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Opening Day--bad calls.

Orioles down to the last strike.

Orioles suspended game.

Up 6-1 at Minnesota last week, and blow it.

I like all those and the Friday game at Oakland as well.

downstairs
No, even if the Sox had one more win and one less loss they'd still have to play today's game. Of course it would be for the clinch, not the tie, but the point remains...

Oops. Yes, two losses.

eriqjaffe
Up 6-1 at Minnesota last week, and blow it.That's the one that I think of.

sox1970
I like all those and the Friday game at Oakland as well.

Yes.

chisoxfanatic
09-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Last Thursday night.
Yep. That one was a big punch into the gut. Hopefully we'll get another shot at Team Baggie Dome and the result will be the exact opposite as what happened last week against them. I'd love for our guys to wipe that smirk off Carlos Gomez's face.

I want Mags back
09-29-2008, 01:17 PM
lets not forget all of May where we couldn't hit for **** but had a lightsout starting staff and pen. The Jays sweep and the first 2 home vs. LAA really come to mind.

zaidecrannog
09-29-2008, 01:18 PM
In that Oriole suspended game, didn't Ozzie put the squeeze on and BA couldn't get it down? Something like that. That bunt goes down and we're playing to clinch today.

Of course, the game against Detroit when we scored twice in the ninth on Quentin's bloop and Dye's blast was nice!:bandance:

Tragg
09-29-2008, 01:21 PM

If the Sox had won at Minny on Thursday night, this would be over right now and we would not be playing this game.

jabrch
09-29-2008, 01:21 PM
I'd take the game where Jose ruptured his achillies and the game where CQ busted his wrist.

dpbyron
09-29-2008, 01:25 PM
May 28th - Twins @ KC down 8-3 with two out in the ninth and only one guy on, storm back to win...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playbyplay?gameId=280528107&full=0&inning=9

BadBobbyJenks
09-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Id say one of 74 possible choices. Take your pick.

JermaineDye05
09-29-2008, 01:32 PM
In that Oriole suspended game, didn't Ozzie put the squeeze on and BA couldn't get it down? Something like that. That bunt goes down and we're playing to clinch today.

Of course, the game against Detroit when we scored twice in the ninth on Quentin's bloop and Dye's blast was nice!:bandance:

That's probably one of the worst calls I ever saw Ozzie make. Of all the people to ask to bunt he asks Brian, Brian is probably one of the worst contact hitters on this team. Asking him to put down was a huge risk. Although had he got it down we would have said he was a genius, but I mean there were 0 outs I believe. If there was 1 out I could understand the thinking. But with 0 outs you at least have 2 more batters to get the job done if Brian stirkes out or pops out.

chisoxfanatic
09-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Id say one of 74 possible choices. Take your pick.
:hawk
"You win 60 games, you lose 60 games. It's what you do in the other 42 that matter."

TDog
09-29-2008, 01:54 PM
I thought it was the game where the Sox were down by a run in the ninth with two outs at home and Ramirez homered to tie it, Wise got a pinch-hit single, stole second and Cabrera singled to win it. Or the game where the Sox were down by a run in the ninth in Detroit where Dye singled with two outs and two strikes and Quentin homered to give the Sox the lead, which they held in the bottom of the ninth.

It's a long season. April, May, June, July August and September. Teams win games they "should have lost" and lose games they "should have won." The season is what it is. If the Twins don't score five in the ninth to beat the Rays in St. Petersburg to break a four-game losing streak on the road, the Sox are playing for the division today. If Nick Punto doesn't make an error with two outs in the ninth to bring in the tying run for the Blue Jays, the Twins have clinched the division.

If John Danks doesn't get beat by the Twins at the Cell in his second start of the seson (and he got beat badly enough that he leaft the game with a season ERA of 8), the Sox would already have won this division.

Really, both the Twins and White Sox can look to a lot of games they should have won this season. It's pointless to agonize them.

In 1978, if the Red Sox hadn't surrendered a ninth-inning lead on opening day in Old Comiskey, giving up a one-out home run to pinch-hitter Ron Bloomberg and a two out blooper by Wayne Nordhagen that fell between three Red Sox players to score Chet Lemon from first base, there would be no playoff game against the Yankees where Bucky Dent hit a two-out seventh inning home run that would essentially win the game for the Yankees.

Baseball is what it is. Every loss essentially is a missed opportunity to win, and even the best teams will lose games they should have won while losing more than a third of their games. That's why the loss column is more important than the win column.

hi im skot
09-29-2008, 01:55 PM
The one we lost was a real back-breaker.

AZChiSoxFan
09-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Last Thursday night.

Totally agree. I can't stop thinking that if Jenks had just gotten out ONE of the two guys that he had 0-2 in the 8th, the Sox would be div champs right now.

ChiSoxFan81
09-29-2008, 02:11 PM
For every brutal loss that we took late in a game, we've stolen one. Swisher's walkoff. Dye's HR in Detroit. There's many more examples. However, if we want to play this game, the one that sticks out to me the most for some reason is the suspended game. We should have had that game before it went to extras, and even when we did resume it, we should have taken it.

PaleHoser
09-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Totally agree. I can't stop thinking that if Jenks had just gotten out ONE of the two guys that he had 0-2 in the 8th, the Sox would be div champs right now.

We win that game and we leave Minnesota with a 1.5 game lead instead of .5 game out.

Assuming the last series goes the same for both teams, Sox finish 1.5 games up and prepare for Tampa on Thursday instead of sitting out a rain delay.

Domeshot17
09-29-2008, 03:43 PM
As much as this last week has eaten me alive, In a way I am glad we are where we are. Maybe if we win, and Minnesota does not come back thursday, they come out pissed off and hungry instead of relaxed and laid back and they sweep KC and we don't play today. The 2 vs Cleveland this weekend we pissed away work, but if there is 1 kind of game this team DOES get up for, it is with the backs against the wall, where there is no tomorrow, and it is do or die.

russ99
09-29-2008, 04:46 PM
As much as this last week has eaten me alive, In a way I am glad we are where we are. Maybe if we win, and Minnesota does not come back thursday, they come out pissed off and hungry instead of relaxed and laid back and they sweep KC and we don't play today. The 2 vs Cleveland this weekend we pissed away work, but if there is 1 kind of game this team DOES get up for, it is with the backs against the wall, where there is no tomorrow, and it is do or die.

Ya win some and lose some, that's baseball.

My only minor gripe is what Kenny did at the deadline, but who knew Carlos would get hurt and that the bullpen would implode the way they did the last two weeks...

Plus, only Kenny knows what was really available anyway.

Hopefully Griffey comes up big for us today, tomorrow or in the playoffs.