PDA

View Full Version : The Almighty Dollar...

voodoochile
09-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Well there it is, proof beyond any dispute that baseball is all about the money. Yeah, it's been that way for a while, but rarely has it been as evident as it was this weekend.

NY at Boston got rained out on Saturday. The games were meaningless anyway as they had no bearing on playoff slots, so what did the Red Sox do?

That's right they scheduled a split DH on Sunday to grab every penny they could from the regular season.

I realize that when your season is a near sellout before you ever open the gates, it's hard to make good on past tickets from previous seasons, but still...

LoveYourSuit
09-29-2008, 12:01 PM
Well there it is, proof beyond any dispute that baseball is all about the money. Yeah, it's been that way for a while, but rarely has it been as evident as it was this weekend.

NY at Boston got rained out on Saturday. The games were meaningless anyway as they had no bearing on playoff slots, so what did the Red Sox do?

That's right they scheduled a split DH on Sunday to grab every penny they could from the regular season.

I realize that when your season is a near sellout before you ever open the gates, it's hard to make good on past tickets from previous seasons, but still...

Just by the reaction and insanity I have seen on our board here anytime the "the Sox screw people" with their makeup announcements, I don't blame the Red Sox.

You might have another Boston Massacre if one of the 2 gates was "cheated" of not being able to see their Sawx and Yankees play.

I can see that fanbase over there being more insane than ours.

Fenway
09-29-2008, 12:15 PM
The Red Sox want 81 openings every year.

Plus the 2 sellouts pushed total attendance past 3 Million for the first time in history ( thanks to the new roof seats )

The Red Sox have perfected getting every last penny out of fans...

What was amazing were the lack of noshows last night as the park was packed as usual.

hi im skot
09-29-2008, 12:28 PM
I dunno...I'd be upset if we were in Red Sox fans' shoes and didn't get the final games.

I think they did the right thing. :shrug:

Boondock Saint
09-29-2008, 12:28 PM
If you had tickets to that game, wouldn't you be pissed off if they just cancelled the game because it "didn't mean anything"? People had tickets, and they wanted to watch a baseball game. I see absolutely no problem with it. It's not like they're forcing people to buy these tickets.

Sox4ever77
09-29-2008, 02:37 PM
I would have been funny if one of the Red Sox regulars got hurt yesterday and missed the playoffs.

Eddo144
09-29-2008, 03:59 PM
Count me among those who don't get this thread. When teams rest their stars you get people complaining that the fans aren't getting their money's worth. Now, two teams are playing a game so that fans can get another chance to see them play, and people complain that MLB is too focused on money.

Short of playing for free, what is the world could MLB do that wouldn't be construed as caring only about money?

Michstate45
09-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Quick question, don't mean to hijack the thread.

But, is there really no rule in baseball saying a team has to complete all 162 games? I guess I never noticed this if it has happened in past years, but you would think in a sport which prides itself on statistics and raking in every dollar it can get, they would force all games postponed due to rainout to be made up. Even if that means playing after the last day of the regular season.

I mean, say the Red Sox didn't have to makeup the rainout on saturday. Wouldn't you be kind of upset as an Angels fan that the Red Sox got an extra day off?

Maybe I'm just thinking differently then others, but it just seems kind of wierd to me that baseball is ok with a team playing 160 or 161 games

pmck003
09-29-2008, 09:22 PM
Teams could get more money from their playoff tickets if they wanted to. I would guess that mlb has an economic incentive to offer affordable tickets, but I imagine a scalper with four tickets to two or three Cubs NLCS games could make a decent yearly salary off those.

Lip Man 1
09-29-2008, 09:22 PM
If a game has no bearing on a race it does not have to be played. Example, in 1974 the White Sox went 80-80 for the season.

Lip

Fenway
09-29-2008, 09:32 PM
Cubs are a perfect example as they only played 161 games this year.

Even though last night was a glorified Pawtucket-Scranton games the place was packed with fans.

The last think the Red Sox want to do is issue rain checks for 2009 as they simply don't have any empty seats to unload.

TDog
09-30-2008, 01:14 AM
If a game has no bearing on a race it does not have to be played. Example, in 1974 the White Sox went 80-80 for the season.

Lip

But they played 163 games.

southside rocks
09-30-2008, 11:05 AM
I dunno...I'd be upset if we were in Red Sox fans' shoes and didn't get the final games.

I think they did the right thing. :shrug:

Yeah, I do too -- and if they just canceled one game, what a hassle for the club to have to refund all those tickets. Easier all around to just re-schedule it and play it.

And once you decide to play it, you pretty much have to have a split DH, otherwise you'll have two fans sitting in every seat.

I don't get how this is a bad thing, did I miss the point somewhere? :?:

Mendoza Line
09-30-2008, 11:14 AM
"The All Ighty Ollar? ...Oh I get it. "

(couldn't resist Simpsons reference!)

CashMan
09-30-2008, 11:27 AM

I would say every successful business is out to make a profit. If your job had to shut down for a day, and not make X number of dollars for that day, they wouldn't try to make it another way? This isn't charity.