PDA

View Full Version : Anyone subscribe to baseballAmerica.com?

CerberusWG
05-16-2002, 08:50 PM
There is a draft preview, and the Sox were listed, along with every other team. Catch is, that you have to subscribe to BA.com to read it.

If anyone has this, could they cut and paste it, I think everyone would be greatful.

kermittheefrog
05-16-2002, 10:44 PM
Scouting Director: Doug Laumann (first year: 2001).

2000 Draft (First three rounds, picking 12th)
1. Joe Borchard, of, Stanford.
2. Tim Hummel, ss, Old Dominion.
3. Mike Morse, ss, Nova HS, Plantation, Fla.

2001 Draft (First three rounds, picking 27th)
1a. Kris Honel, rhp, Providence Catholic HS, New Lenox, Ill.
1b. (Choice to Indians as compensation for free agent Sandy Alomar).
1c. Wyatt Allen, rhp, Tennessee.
2. Ryan Wing, lhp, Riverside (Calif.) CC.
3. *Jonathan Zeringue, c, E.D. White HS, Thibodeaux, La.
(*Did not sign.)

2002 Draft
White Sox pick 18th in rotation.

Overview
Doug Laumann has spent more than 20 years scouting for Chicago teams, starting with a 10-year stint with the Cubs (1981-90) before he joined the White Sox as an area scout in 1990. Laumann took over the scouting director reins from Duane Shaffer, who held the position from 1991 until November 2000.

Shaffer was promoted to senior director of scouting and then to his current job as senior director of player development, where he still works closely with Laumann on amateur scouting.

In Laumann's first draft last year, he continued the White Sox' focus on building pitching depth. After drafting righthander Kris Honel 16th overall, he selected righthander Wyatt Allen in the sandwich round--both with picks they got for the Marlins' signing of Charles Johnson. He took lefthander Ryan Wing in the second before drafting two high school position players--catcher Jonathan Zeringue and outfielder Jay Mattox--who did not sign. A couple of potential sleepers have emerged in shortstop Andy Gonzalez (fifth round) and outfielder Anthony Webster (15th).

With Shaffer as scouting director and Laumann as national crosschecker, the White Sox took advantage of having seven of the top 99 picks in the 1999 draft by infusing the system with arms. All told, they took pitchers with 14 of their first 15 picks.

The first of them, righthander Jason Stumm, has battled injuries but still has a tremendous ceiling, while the draft has already produced major leaguers in Matt Ginter (first round), Danny Wright (second) and Jon Rauch (third), with supplemental first-rounders Brian West and Rob Purvis still on the rise.

The lone position player they went after among their first 15 picks in 1999 was second-rounder Bobby Hill, who spent the season in the independent Atlantic League before going back into the 2000 draft and signing with the Cubs as a second-rounder.

Hill was the eighth player who had Scott Boras as his agent that the White Sox have drafted and failed to sign. They haven't selected a Boras client since, and this year that could rule out several talented pitchers including Bobby Brownlie, Jeremy Guthrie, Mark McCormick and Jason Neighborgall. Canadian lefty Jeff Francis could be one of their targets if he slips to the 18th pick.

kermittheefrog
05-16-2002, 10:48 PM
It would be sweet if we could grab Francis with the 18th pick. I think that would be a steal. I just hope we don't end up with another h.s. pitcher.

doublem23
05-17-2002, 12:12 AM
Damn, I'm still pissed they didn't sign Zeringue.....

OfficerKarkovice
05-17-2002, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
who did end up signing him?

kermittheefrog
05-17-2002, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by doublem23

It's actually not that big of a deal. Zeringue was only going to sign for first round money and high school catchers are too risky to be worth that much. We got another catcher later in the draft, Charlie Lisk, who had early round talent but was thought to be going to college. Well we signed Lisk and BA said he had the best raw power in our draft class. So we made up for not signing Zeringue by picking up Lisk later.

Zeringue has moved on to school at LSU and has already been switched to the outfield. Fourth round Sox pick, outfielder Jay Mattox, is also with LSU. Mattox was redshirted for this season.

Vsahajpal
05-17-2002, 01:55 AM
I don't think there's a chance Francis falls to 18, I heard the Sox were looking at Blanton and Francouer as well.

Randar68
05-17-2002, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

It's actually not that big of a deal. Zeringue was only going to sign for first round money and high school catchers are too risky to be worth that much. We got another catcher later in the draft, Charlie Lisk, who had early round talent but was thought to be going to college. Well we signed Lisk and BA said he had the best raw power in our draft class. So we made up for not signing Zeringue by picking up Lisk later.

Zeringue has moved on to school at LSU and has already been switched to the outfield. Fourth round Sox pick, outfielder Jay Mattox, is also with LSU. Mattox was redshirted for this season.

From all I saw and heard, Zeringue was looking for Sandwich round to high 2nd round money, essentially 1 million signing bonus or slightly above. He had the talent and we didn't use the higher pick on him (IMO, more valuable than 500,000 difference in signing money). He was asking for about the same $$$$ as Tony Richie a couple years ago who has been pretty productive at FSU and should be a top 3-round pick when he becomes eligible. (FWIW, we drafted Richie in the 5th round).

Also, I do beleive Zeringue will move back to catcher. He was behind 2 other upperclassmen who are familiar with and handle the staff better than a true freshman would. However, they needed to find a way to get his bat in the lineup and so they put him in the outfield. Last I heard, he will move back to catcher next year.

Randar68
05-17-2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
I don't think there's a chance Francis falls to 18, I heard the Sox were looking at Blanton and Francouer as well.

From College, realistic possibilities:
Hagerty, Blanton, Adams, Parker (might be a reach, but a need), Meyer

From HS:
Francouer, and a bunch of RHP's...maybe Moore and maybe Jeff Clement, but not likely considering our history of drafting catchers

I am still not convinced they won't take another HS RHP, although I trust the Sox scouts whatever they decide (just not another Dellaero!!!!)

Dadawg_77
05-17-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

From College, realistic possibilities:
Hagerty, Blanton, Adams, Parker (might be a reach, but a need), Meyer

From HS:
Francouer, and a bunch of RHP's...maybe Moore and maybe Jeff Clement, but not likely considering our history of drafting catchers

I am still not convinced they won't take another HS RHP, although I trust the Sox scouts whatever they decide (just not another Dellaero!!!!)

Since I lack knowledge of College and HS Baseball, can anyone post a little bio oo these guys? Like where the play on the field and so forth

moochpuppy
05-17-2002, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

and high school catchers are too risky to be worth that much.

Unless your name is Mauer. That kid is a stud.

Vsahajpal
05-17-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

Since I lack knowledge of College and HS Baseball, can anyone post a little bio oo these guys? Like where the play on the field and so forth

The pitchers usually begin on the mound...

Luke Hagerty is a 6'7" 220 lb LHP from Ball St. University, touches 94-95 but is usually in the low 90's.

Blanton is a 6'2 220 lb RHP out of Kentucky, low 90's fastball

Russ Adams, 6'1 180 SS/2b in the mold of a Bobby Hill, he's a Tar Heel; the A's are said to be interested.

Tyler Parker, C, probably the best collegiate catching prospect, from Ga. Tech; questions about his ability to hit with wood, and his makeup. Top defensive catcher. He's a Boras client.

The others are high schoolers

Francouer is a supreme athlete, 6'4 200 lb outfielder, he's also one of the top defensive backs in the nation and is committed to Clemson to play football and baseball; his preference is baseball, but signability is still a concern. Out of Lilburn, Georgia (Parkview HS)

Scott Moore is a SS, prettiest swing in the high school ranks according to many scouts. 6'2 190 lb, bat projects power, he may move to 3b when it is all said and done.

Jeff Clement, the top high school catching prospect, and probably the best bat in high school, the Iowa HS season begins on Monday (very late). For his career he has 59 HR, and should break Drew Henson's career HS homerun record (70 HR). He's an incredible hitter, hits for power and average, and has tremendous plate discipline (142 walks and only 22 K during his career). Committed to Southern California, so signability is an issue.