PDA

View Full Version : The Offense

Gerry
09-29-2008, 06:04 AM
I look around at this board and the official Sox website forum and I've always noticed some sort of envy for different kind of offense or hitting, whatever you want to call it. Especially that know it all on the front page, Hal Vickery. Is the Twins offense really that much better than the Sox? I don't think so. Their offense isn't the problem, it's the pitching. They have an above average offense, near the top of the league as far as runs are concerned. What does it matter how they got them? Some people have to learn to embrace the home run, I think a lot of White Sox fans are actively trying not to.

Look, they aren't going to be like the Twins, they don't have the personal, but they are the best at the kind of offense they have and when that's good enough to be better than most of the league at scoring runs the offense isn't the problem. I'm sick of seeing those complaints.

TheCommander
09-29-2008, 06:42 AM
Especially that know it all on the front page, Hal Vickery.

:?: You are obviously entitled to your own opinion,but in all the years I have lurked/been a member,this is one thought that has never come close to crossing my mind.

eriqjaffe
09-29-2008, 09:37 AM
they are the best at the kind of offense they have and when that's good enough to be better than most of the league at scoring runs the offense isn't the problem. I'm sick of seeing those complaints.The main issue I think most people around here have with the Sox offense (myself included) is that it's feast or famine. Sure, they're near the top of the league in runs scored, but they'll go on a tear and score 12 runs a day for 5 games, but then they'll follow that up with a streak of 1-and-2-run games. Nobody here doubts the talent, but doubt (and are frustrated by the lack of) consistency.

whitesox901
09-29-2008, 10:40 AM
The main issue I think most people around here have with the Sox offense (myself included) is that it's feast or famine. Sure, they're near the top of the league in runs scored, but they'll go on a tear and score 12 runs a day for 5 games, but then they'll follow that up with a streak of 1-and-2-run games. Nobody here doubts the talent, but doubt (and are frustrated by the lack of) consistency.

Hit the nail on the head

khan
09-29-2008, 11:07 AM
The White Sox offense only has one tool in the toolbox. And its been like this for each and every year that Kenny has been in control of things, except for one year. Little wonder, then, that the White Sox have remained more or less average to mildly above average throughout his tenure. And its been this way since the days of Lee/Ordonez/Thomas inasmuch as it is today with Dye/Konerko/Thome.

For the White Sox, if the question is offense, then the answer has been power. And ONLY power. So much so that they've been willing to risk putting a dinosaur like Griffey, Jr. into a defensive position where he's likely to fail.

Without offensive variety, an opposing team can work to neutralize one aspect of offense, with little fear of any sort of a counter by the Sox. And this is why the Sox lack the continuity offensively that more complete teams [like Boston, Tampa, and LAAAA] have. Even lesser teams like Cleveland have a more diverse offensive approach than the White Sox.

kitekrazy
09-29-2008, 11:32 AM
Twins offense really that much better than the Sox?

It is this season.

The Twins are the best this season in hitting with RISP and also with 2 outs.
Plus it helps when 3rd, 4th spots are hitting over .300 They rely on getting guys on base and move them over for Morneau and Mauer. Kinda like traditional baseball.

They also have guys that beat the ball into the ground and use their speed to get hits. That's why they are so good at home.

Jurr
09-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Sorry, Gary. If you had been on WSI for a while like Hal has, which includes discussion and reflection of just about EVERY SOX GAME FOR YEARS, you'd understand how myopic your view is.

When we would sit on here and talk about the Sox in '03 and '04, for example, we would get so frustrated that the offense didn't have any added dimensions besides the long ball. If you can score early by a base hit/stolenbase/sac or single situation, you get a pitcher uncomfortable really quick in the game. If you have players that can steal a base, a pitcher's concentration is altered. He cannot tune everything out but the mitt. He has to worry about baserunners getting a good lead, stolen bases, hit and runs, etc.

Yes, power is important, especially at USCF. Should it be the only approach for an offense? HELL NO. A little versatility was brought to the Sox in '05 at the expense of some big-time pop. Maggs, Lee, and Valentin were sent packing. Carl Everett, who is more of a contact guy, excelled in getting the top-hand singles that scored numerous early runs for the Sox. That offensive versatility powered the Sox to a great start as well as the record for games featuring a lead at some point.

Remember the Sox/Dodgers series? Yes, the Saturday night game was won via a walk-off homer, but the rally that led to the big moment for AJ was nothing but execution. Stolen bases, singles, and great situational hitting set the tone. It also carried the Sox in the rally the following night. Two consecutive bunts forced the Dodgers to scramble, and errors were forced. Rowand's single brought about the "nail in the coffin".

You have to give the defense a multitude of issues to worry about, and this Sox offense DOES NOT DO THAT. Period.