PDA

View Full Version : Key Monday?

Lip Man 1
09-29-2008, 12:18 AM
Given that Garcia is probably the worst pitcher in MLB at holding runners on base, does Ozzie open it up and let as many guys as possible who get on run?

That could get guys in scoring position, open up holes in the infield and force Freddy to throw more fastballs (and his velocity isn't there from reports...)

Lip

DaveFeelsRight
09-29-2008, 12:19 AM
I wonder if the tigers will use their regular line up...

munchman33
09-29-2008, 12:20 AM
Who do the Tigers have behind the plate? If it's Inge, I wouldn't run.

Sockinchisox
09-29-2008, 12:21 AM
Given that Garcia is probably the worst pitcher in MLB at holding runners on base, does Ozzie open it up and let as many guys as possible who get on run?

That could get guys in scoring position, open up holes in the infield and force Freddy to throw more fastballs (and his velocity isn't there from reports...)

Lip

Assuming we're going to see the same lineup as today, the only people I want running are Cabrera, Wise and Alexei if they reach base.

The key tomorrow is Gavin Floyd.

DSpivack
09-29-2008, 12:22 AM

Lip

This is the key part of that suggestion. How many guys actually can run?

stillz
09-29-2008, 12:22 AM
I say put the pressure on as often as possible. Anything to complicate matters for Freddy. Hopefully, Ozzie puts speed in the 2-hole.

BleacherBandit
09-29-2008, 12:24 AM
I heard Polanco, Rentaria and Guillen aren't a go tomarrow.

I wonder if Mags or Garcia will beat-up on their former club.

EuroSox35
09-29-2008, 12:26 AM
I expect Det to mail it in. I can't speak for Freddy, I guess he's the wild card, but they just had a competitive series with Tampa Bay, came back today, but lost in extras. Now to get on the plane and play here, the only thing I see their offense doing is maybe hitting a couple home runs, since like DJ said today, the players are probably in 'pad my HR #'s' mode

Hey Freddy, we got you a ring, we sent you to a good team, Ozzie's family...you know what we're getting at *wink wink*

DumpJerry
09-29-2008, 12:38 AM
How can the Tigers get up for this game? It means nothing to them and it's after the season should be over. They played extra innings Sunday and then have to get to Chicago to play yet another game in a crappy season where they were expected to be The Beast of AL back in March.

I think it comes down to who do they hate more: The White Sox or the Twins?

There are plenty of reasons for them to not like us (Ozzie, AJ and KW, for example) and one really good reason to hate the Twins (the Metrodome). There are other reasons to hate the Twins more-the way they bring up AAA guys who play like their on the 1927 Yankees, for instance.

Finishing in last place in the AL Central after the Pre-season hype had them being one of the best teams in the past ten years in MLB must really be eating at them and they just want to get this season behind them.

guillensdisciple
09-29-2008, 12:52 AM
How can the Tigers get up for this game? It means nothing to them and it's after the season should be over. They played extra innings Sunday and then have to get to Chicago to play yet another game in a crappy season where they were expected to be The Beast of AL back in March.

There are plenty of reasons for them to not like us (Ozzie, AJ and KW, for example) and one really good reason to hate the Twins (the Metrodome). There are other reasons to hate the Twins more-the way they bring up AAA guys who play like their on the 1927 Yankees, for instance.

Finishing in last place in the AL Central after the Pre-season hype had them being one of the best teams in the past ten years in MLB must really be eating at them and they just want to get this season behind them.

The majority of the team probably feels that way, Garcia won't. I have a feeling he might be a royal pain in our behind tomorrow.

NoNeckEra
09-29-2008, 12:55 AM
How can the Tigers get up for this game?
If Gavin is on his game, then the Tigers will not work that hard mentally to try to solve him.

But if he's terrible, then even half asleep MLB hitters will do damage.

RockJock07
09-29-2008, 01:01 AM

I agree with you 100% I'm sure the Tigers are just pissed about this, I know leyland is a hard ass but It would be so hard for him to keep his guys motavated for a game that is meaningless. I'm sure there wasn't a curfew tonight and that as I'm typing this many members of the Tigers are slamming beers.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Tigers are just hacking tomorrow at first pitch, just so they can go home. If Leyland puts out anything more than a AAA line-up I'd be very surprised.

EuroSox35
09-29-2008, 01:08 AM
My only worry is if Freddy demanded that he face the Sox. I remember looking at their schedule the last time he started, and could've sworn that with either 5 or 6 day rest, we would miss him. I wonder if he asked for us, or if it just worked out that way based on what they're doing with their pitching...

EDIT: NM, checked again and I guess I miscounted. I did it from his first start at the time, and didn't know he was getting 5 days rest

sunofgold
09-29-2008, 01:11 AM
I checked the hour by hour weather forecast. About 30-40 % of rain with isolated thunderstorms possible by 3PM. Could you imagine a game that only goes 5 innings? Also, what if the game is rained out?

chisoxfanatic
09-29-2008, 01:14 AM
I've heard that Garcia is far from being 100%, for what it's worth. That might be a big help as well.

RockJock07
09-29-2008, 01:16 AM
I checked the hour by hour weather forecast. About 30-40 % of rain with isolated thunderstorms possible by 3PM. Could you imagine a game that only goes 5 innings? Also, what if the game is rained out?

The HAVE to get this in, They will stay there all night if they have to. But I think it will be a quick game because the last thing the Tigers wanna do is go into extra innings or have a 3+ hour game.

DeadMoney
09-29-2008, 01:21 AM
Getting a few quick runs across combined with Gavin putting up a couple zeros would be huge. If the Tigers don't care entering the game, imagine how much they'll care being down ~3-0 in the 2nd inning.

doublem23
09-29-2008, 01:36 AM
The key tomorrow is Gavin Floyd.

Bingo. The offense was fine against Cleveland, it was the crap starting and bullpen efforts that cost us the games Friday and Saturday. If Floyd can keep Detroit off the scoreboard and leave the bullpen with a few easy innings to deal with, we'll see you Tuesday.

scarsofthumper
09-29-2008, 01:46 AM
Chicago White Sox v. Toledo Mud Hens tomorrow.

Fact.

Nellie_Fox
09-29-2008, 01:50 AM
One would expect the Tigers to come in with their golf clubs over their shoulders. However, baseball isn't like football, where adrenaline and desire can overpower your opponent. In baseball, sometimes the more relaxed squad, the ones who aren't trying too hard, prevails.

Adele_H
09-29-2008, 02:40 AM

Lip

Looking past the Tigers is a recipe for a season-ending 7-1 corpseball shellacking.

Considering that this whole week (prior to today), the Sox put on a display of mental midgetry & choking that was nothing short of pathetic and unacceptable, all things considered...

... I just wish Sox play an all-around high-quality baseball, inning 1 through 9...

From Floyd bringing his 'A' stuff & command against short-handed, unmotivated Tigers........ to Sox hitters working the count and smoking line-drives to all fields off Sweaty McWeedsmoker......to mistake-free defense & baserunning.

I don't think it's too much to ask. Here's your big chance to justify all the faith in you, 2008 Chicago White Sox. I dare you.

EuroSox35
09-29-2008, 03:03 AM
The HAVE to get this in, They will stay there all night if they have to. But I think it will be a quick game because the last thing the Tigers wanna do is go into extra innings or have a 3+ hour game.

It's sweaty Freddy, this one could go all night

My guess is about 4 hours, right in time for rush hour...

kevingrt
09-29-2008, 07:54 AM
Staying out of the rain is the key to the game today.

turners56
09-29-2008, 08:20 AM
Play Wise. It might be a wise option. :D: