PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Manuel to remain Mets manager in 09

illini81887
09-28-2008, 07:57 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/09/28/mets.manuel/index.html

gf2020
09-28-2008, 08:11 PM
Good for him. I'm one of the few who didn't hate him. I'm glad he's not here because obviously Ozzie won us a world series, but I think it's great that he's finally getting another opportunity.

TornLabrum
09-28-2008, 08:46 PM
What's the over/under on when he decides on his regular starting lineup? I'll predict the first game following the All-Star Break.

FJA
09-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Good for him. I'm one of the few who didn't hate him. I'm glad he's not here because obviously Ozzie won us a world series, but I think it's great that he's finally getting another opportunity.

As anyone who has met or who knows Jerry Manuel is aware, regardless of the performance of Manuel's Sox, you can't help but pull for the guy. On balance, people here in NY seem to like him (give it a year), and the Mets were 55-38 after Willie Randolph was let go. As someone who claims the Mets as a distant-second-favorite team, I'm glad he'll be back.

RKMeibalane
09-28-2008, 09:41 PM
What's the over/under on when he decides on his regular starting lineup? I'll predict the first game following the All-Star Break.

:jerry

"That's because during the first half of the season, everybody plays. The second half is time to win."

TornLabrum
09-28-2008, 09:45 PM
As anyone who has met or who knows Jerry Manuel is aware, regardless of the performance of Manuel's Sox, you can't help but pull for the guy. On balance, people here in NY seem to like him (give it a year), and the Mets were 55-38 after Willie Randolph was let go. As someone who claims the Mets as a distant-second-favorite team, I'm glad he'll be back.

When he goes .500 or less the first half of the season because he feels he can't play the regulars every day, you'll feel differently.

EuroSox35
09-28-2008, 10:47 PM
Their lineup after their 1st 4 is atrocious. There were stretches where they were riding on Endy Chavez's shoulders.

The problem on that team is Minaya. Aside from Santana, their pitching is terrible (especially the pen). How many arms has this guy given up? Lindstrum is one of them right? Fitting he'd end their season to close out the game today

And for all the people who accuse Ozzie of latino favoritism, I think that might be the truth with Minaya. When Delgado was a free agent, he was turned off by Minaya who played that angle with him, asking him to join him because of his heritage, and he'd build up that culture on a team, and Delgado got offended or something (but then he ended up trading for him anyway)

The Immigrant
09-28-2008, 10:56 PM
Nardi Contreras is soooo getting the pitching coach job.

Gammons Peter
09-29-2008, 08:18 AM
Jerry seems soooo different now, very loose, animated, street?, cool? What's up with that? When he was here he was stiff, low key, ghandi.
Which one is the real Jerry?

palehozenychicty
09-29-2008, 08:34 AM
Their lineup after their 1st 4 is atrocious. There were stretches where they were riding on Endy Chavez's shoulders.

The problem on that team is Minaya. Aside from Santana, their pitching is terrible (especially the pen). How many arms has this guy given up? Lindstrum is one of them right? Fitting he'd end their season to close out the game today

And for all the people who accuse Ozzie of latino favoritism, I think that might be the truth with Minaya. When Delgado was a free agent, he was turned off by Minaya who played that angle with him, asking him to join him because of his heritage, and he'd build up that culture on a team, and Delgado got offended or something (but then he ended up trading for him anyway)

Indeed. He is definitely one of the worst GMs in the game today. The sad part is that he's getting an extension for four years! He gave away Lindstrom, Heath Bell, Jesus Flores (Rule 5), and Lastings Milledge for virtually nothing, and signed L. Castillo to a 4-year deal! Before that, Castillo couldn't find a team to take him but the Twins for peanuts. You don't think they could've used Lindstrom and Bell this year? They do have a nice starting duo in Santana and Pelfrey for 2009. But they need to let Perez walk and probably put Maine in the pen for stability. He doesn't go deep enough in games to be a reliable starter, and elbow issues have hampered him for two seasons in a row.

As for Manuel, he was very collected this year and kept the Mets afloat. He was also brutally honest about the team, saying that they need to get back into October to shut people up. Bottom line. He'll get at least one more year, then who knows what'll happen.

eriqjaffe
09-29-2008, 08:45 AM
How many arms has this guy given up? Lindstrum is one of them right?Who is Lindstrum? If you're referring to Tim Lincecum, no, he was never in the Mets organization:

June 3, 2003: Drafted by the Chicago Cubs (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHC/2003.shtml) in the 48th round (http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?year_ID=2003&round=48) of the 2003 amateur draft, but did not sign.
June 7, 2005: Drafted by the Cleveland Indians (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CLE/2005.shtml) in the 42nd round (http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?year_ID=2005&round=42) of the 2005 amateur draft, but did not sign.
June 6, 2006: Drafted by the San Francisco Giants (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/SFG/2006.shtml) in the 1st round (http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?year_ID=2006&round=1) (10th pick) of the 2006 amateur draft. Player signed June 30, 2006So...uh...looks like we may have dodged a couple of bullets there...

palehozenychicty
09-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Who is Lindstrum? If you're referring to Tim Lincecum, no, he was never in the Mets organization:

So...uh...looks like we may have dodged a couple of bullets there...

He's referring to Matt Lindstrom, who closed out the Mets and Shea yesterday.

JUribe1989
09-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Jerry Manuel is one of the nicest people I've ever met associated with professional sports. A complete stand-up guy, I couldn't be happier for him.

areilly
09-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Hand him a different bullpen this season and this thread would have a markedly different tone.

palehozenychicty
09-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Hand him a different bullpen this season and this thread would have a markedly different tone.

It would indeed. Casey Stengel nor Sparky Anderson could get into the playoffs with that pen.

Sox4ever77
09-29-2008, 12:59 PM

How is Omar suppose to know that Wagner was going to get hurt? If he signs K-Rod to replace Wagner, and he bombs in the NL, is that his fault?

JUribe1989
09-29-2008, 02:38 PM
How is Omar suppose to know that Wagner was going to get hurt? If he signs K-Rod to replace Wagner, and he bombs in the NL, is that his fault?

Well solving the problem by trading for a guy in Luis Ayala that the Nationals were afraid to use in close games isn't a good start.

And then making him your closer....UNREAL!

areilly
09-29-2008, 04:38 PM

Wagner getting hurt was a huge problem, but not as huge as the Mets' complete lack of middle relief forming the bridge between their suspect rotation and (after Wagner's exit) non-existant closer.

But no, I don't think anyone blames Minaya for Wagner's injury. How could they?