PDA

View Full Version : 2009 ideas

JermaineDye05
09-28-2008, 05:00 PM
No matter what happens at the end of the season, I think we're all in agreement that some major changes need to be made. So what would like to see with the 2009 team. More pitching? More offense? Better Defense? A new coaching staff? All of the above??? Post your thoughts here.

I for one would love to see some more speed on this team, i.e. Brian Roberts, Orlando Hudson. Just some guys who can actually steal close to 30 bases a season and can score from second on a base hit. I definitely think 1 if not 2 of the 3 base clogs need to go. Dye could possibly be traded and you move Swisher to right field. Or Konerko could be traded (although he can veto any trade) and Swish could move to first. I definitely feel 2009 will be Swisher's breakout season with the Sox, I could see him hitting .265-.270 with 35 HR's and 100+ RBI's. If Thome is traded, you move either Konerko or Dye to DH.

I think we all know that Crede is pretty much done after this season so who will be the Sox 3rd baseman of 2009. They could give the job to Josh and hope that he shows some of that promise he had in 2007 or they could go to free agency although there really aren't any names that jump out to me. I believe Hank Blalock could be eligible if the Rangers buy him out after this season and I wouldn't mind Kenny taking a flyer on him. Kenny could always go down the trade route as he frequently does. Some players I wouldn't mind seeing him going after would be Chone Figgins, Freddy Sanchez, Bill Hall, or call me crazy Adrian Beltre. I don't know if the Mariners are willing to part with him, but if they want to start over and are willing to eat up some of that salary I would welcome Beltre with open arms. He plays solid defense and he can hit close to 30 HR's and drive in around 80 to 90 a season.

I'd also like to see Kenny get another pitcher or 2 in that bullpen. I think it's pretty good so far with Jenks, Linebrink, Dotel, and Thornton. We could use a couple more consistant arms out there, a long relief guy would be a godsend for us.

We of course need an actual centerfielder next season. Some guys that could be available on FA are Rocco Baldelli, Corey Patterson. Kenny could always toy with the idea of trading for Carl Crawford to make every single person on this board salivate for a couple months until the regular season starts.

These are just a few of the things I'd like to see for 2009. However unless this were a game, I don't see every single one of these things being met this offseason, although I do think a few are possible.

Foulke You
09-28-2008, 05:07 PM
We of course need an actual centerfielder next season. Some guys that could be available on FA are Rocco Baldelli, Corey Patterson. Kenny could always toy with the idea of trading for Carl Crawford to make every single person on this board salivate for a couple months until the regular season starts.
Corey Patterson is exactly what the Sox DON'T need. He is fast but he swings from his heels all the time and Ks a ton. Baldelli is decent but is very injury prone. Unless Kenny trades either Swisher or Dye, expect to see the same outfield of Quentin, Swisher, and Dye next year. It is the infield where Kenny has some heavy lifting to do. Figgins can play 3rd and solve our leadoff problem if he could be acquired. This leaves 2B open to either Chris Getz, Juan Uribe, or someone outside the organization. I wouldn't mind Uribe brought back in the "super sub" role.

The starting rotation needs some work too. Contreras needs a replacement and it will be interesting to see if the Sox stick with "Little Game" Javy for another year. An NL team desperate for pitching could want to bring him in. The Mets could be a good trade partner since Minaya had Javy in his Expos days and that team is a shakeup waiting to happen. Kenny tried to get Reyes once from the Mets before he became a star. I'd love if KW could put a package together to entice the Mets into trading him to us.

thomas35forever
09-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Baldelli is too risky and Patterson just sucks. I'm surprised Patterson is even still in the bigs.

ND_Sox_Fan
09-28-2008, 06:02 PM
If Javy is still on this team in 2009, one has to think that he will be the fifth starter (a guy who can throw 5-6 innings and go .500 - defines the fifth starter's role). Obviously, if KW doesn't fill-out the rotation via free agency, we will have to look internally - will Richard or Broadway get a shot?

I saw Richard pitch one game this year, and it was the one this past week in Yankee Stadium. He doesn't appear to be a guy comfortable with coming out of the pen, so if he is on the team, he is a starter. I want to make the statement that Clayton Richard is not the fourth starter on a contender, but that sounds a lot like those voices who said that Gavin Floyd is not a fourth starter on a contender. So who knows there?

I would love to see this team decide that it only needs 2 DH-type players (we currently have three - Dye, Thome, and Konerko). I would love to see us put a guy in CF who can make up for defensive inabilities of our corner OFs, if Dye is out there (I am not going to name names from the current roster). The change that this makes to the lineup is drastic.

The bullpen goes without saying, but that is an issue for most teams year-in and year-out.

One minor request is that we look at the back-up catcher position again so that AJ can catch 10-15 fewer games next year (wouldn't mind seeing AJ get a few starts at DH in this event).

BleacherBandit
09-28-2008, 06:03 PM
As long as Swisher is reliable next year, I think we can leave the outfield how it looked at the begining of the season.

I agree, the infield looks really bad for the future. I'd love to have OC stay another year, but obviously he's not going to stay because he's an ******* and he'd cost too much.

Third base is probably my biggest concern. I don't know if Fields could do so well as a starter. He can't hit, and wouldn't be able to make the crazy plays every day that Crede has made us so accustomed to. We'll see next year, but tomarrow's game is much more important to me right now.

MISoxfan
09-28-2008, 06:39 PM
We need a centerfielder and a leadoff hitter. The same things we always need. This season we also need someone at either second or third.

Thome and Konerko can't be moved. Dye shouldn't be moved.

Malgar 12
09-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Thome and Konerko are hard to move...but in theory they could be moved.

Bulls_Fan
09-28-2008, 07:11 PM
Baldelli has a rare form of muscular dystrophy. Patterson is not what we need.

Daver
09-28-2008, 07:15 PM
Thome and Konerko are hard to move...but in theory they could be moved.

One has five and ten rights and the other one has a complete no trade clause in his contract.

SteveFakeBlood
09-28-2008, 08:39 PM
The thing is, we're not made of money. The inflation rate of free agents seems to dwarf the inflation rate of everything else in the US. Figgins might be the best possibility to shoot for because he's very fast, very versatile (3B, 2B, Outfield...) and a prototype lead-off hitter (career OBP over .350), but we can probably only really afford to go after one truly marquee free agent.

There are probably going to be some decent starting pitchers available, but nowadays you have to give anyone who's had one season in their career with an ERA below 4.50 at least a $50 million contract, so it's pretty pointless.

I actually wouldn't mind the core of this team staying together- I think we're only a couple players away from getting things together. We're probably going to have to part ways with Thome though. He's a nice guy, a great clubhouse presence, plays hard and can still hit homers, but he's a very one-dimensional player. Crede's also gone, we'll always remember and love the guy- but I'd rather spend that money on Figgins who subtracts a bit of defense (pre-2008 defense as Joe didn't look so super this season), but adds speed, versatility and patience at the plate. I think we've got enough offense that having one all-field, no-hit player won't kill us- so we can afford to give Anderson one final chance. If he doesn't produce don't bring him back in 2010.

I wouldn't mind seeing Getz and Uribe compete for the second base job.

How about this for size?

Figgins 3B
Pierzynski C
Quentin LF
Dye RF
Konerko DH
Swisher 1B
Ramirez SS
Getz/Uribe 2B
Anderson CF

If we can't get Figgins, maybe then we should shoot for Brian Roberts or Orlando Hudson. I'm just concerned that Roberts will be even more expensive than Figgins and that Hudson will be more than he's worth as well as just not fast enough to put in the leadoff spot.

~Steve

doublem23
09-28-2008, 08:59 PM
How about this for size?

Figgins 3B
Pierzynski C
Quentin LF
Dye RF
Konerko DH
Swisher 1B
Ramirez SS
Getz/Uribe 2B
Anderson CF

Considering the limits on our roster, this is probably as good a lineup as we can hope for.

Daver
09-28-2008, 09:05 PM
The thing is, we're not made of money. The inflation rate of free agents seems to dwarf the inflation rate of everything else in the US.

Are you the accountant for the White Sox?

guillensdisciple
09-28-2008, 09:15 PM
I love the fact the Konerko has been heating up lately. This puts real value on him for the off season. I believe it will be in the Sox best interest to sign Hudson and trade for Figgins to put on third. With Konerko getting hot, and Texeira probably leaving the Angels after this year, Konerko could be legitimate trade bait for the Angels. After all, they did want Konerko originally. This leaves the Sox with a crap load of options. Slot Swisher to his best spot at first have Hudson at second, Ramirez at his original position at short, and Figgins at third. The outfield should Consist of J.D. (for one more year), Quentin, and B. A. or some other more then adequate outfielder.

The Sox should consider getting one more solid reliever to plug any holes. A line up of Thornton to Linebrink to Jenks is pretty filthy. Get yourself another guy to back that up and the Sox bullpen will have no flaws (think about it, this sox bullpen was amazing when there were no holes, they died when holes needed to be plugged in, each respective pitcher was accustomed to their role).

With that I honestly believe the Sox will be HUGE contenders for the World Series. There are many people who see the flaws on this team but truthfully told we have some of the youngest bright talent in the bigs. Ramirez and Quentin look like sure bets to be all- stars for a while, and they aren't just home run hitters, they play the game the right way. Floyd and Danks also look like amazing young talent and they have finally hit that first year throwing a vast amount of innings so their arms will only become more reliable next year.

With a returning pitching staff and probably the addition of a decent fifth starter the White Sox rotation should be extremely reliable. If the offense gets Hudson and Figgins this would be the killer 1-2 punch the Sox have been looking for. Quentin will get many more opportunities to drive in runs and we shouldn't have problems with moving runners along or finding other way to score runs other then the big fly. Even if there is one, there will probably be more on base seeing as the Sox have two contact hitters in Hudson and Figgins.

Again this isn't set in stone, but if all falls the way I hope it does the Sox could be World Champs next year.

DSpivack
09-28-2008, 09:40 PM
Considering the limits on our roster, this is probably as good a lineup as we can hope for.

Where's Thome?

Craig Grebeck
09-28-2008, 09:56 PM
If we do lose Thome, give me Milton Bradley or give me death.

He'd be the perfect DH.

MISoxfan
09-28-2008, 10:24 PM
Please no Swisher at first.

PaleHoser
09-28-2008, 10:33 PM
Willy Taveras gives us fits. I wouldn't mind having him on our side for a change.

DaveFeelsRight
09-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Willy Taveras gives us fits. I wouldn't mind having him on our side for a change.but hes in the NL, when does he give us fits?

TDog
09-28-2008, 10:39 PM
... Kenny could always toy with the idea of trading for Carl Crawford to make every single person on this board salivate for a couple months until the regular season starts. ...

I wouldn't be happy if the Sox acquired Carl Crawford for center. I wasn't happy when the White Sox acquired Nick Swisher to play center (although many don't want to accept that Nick Swisher was acquired to play center). There are degrees of unhappiness, of course. But I have always believed Crawford is vastly overrated as a ballplayer. I don't know why people believe he is the answer in center. Swisher had played more innings in center coming into this season than Crawford has played in his major league career. And Crawford made his major league debut about a a month after Swisher was drafted out of college.

The point is moot, anyway. The Sox aren't trading for Crawford. If the Rays trade Crawford, it will be to some team will overpay for him. I hope it's not to the White Sox because it wouldn't be for players Sox fans would want to see them trade.

The problem with threads about who the Sox should trade and who they should get back is that they have nothing to do with reality. For example, a trade of Swisher for Crawford might indeed inspire salivation. But it isn't going to happen.

PaleHoser
09-28-2008, 10:43 PM
but hes in the NL, when does he give us fits?

He was 5 for 15 in 2005 World Series with two doubles, a triple and a stolen base. He was 4 for 11 during June series with six stolen bases, including five in one game. I believe he stole a few of them standing up.

IMO, that qualifies.

Dan the Man
09-28-2008, 10:44 PM
The point is moot, anyway. The Sox aren't trading for Crawford. If the Rays trade Crawford, it will be to some team will overpay for him. I hope it's not to the White Sox because it wouldn't be for players Sox fans would want to see them trade.

And why would the Rays trade Crawford anyway? Unless they have an absolute stud waiting to take his place, why would they trade a productive veteran on a very young talented team?

Tragg
09-28-2008, 11:12 PM
Figgins can play 3rd and solve our leadoff problem if he could be acquired.
Isn't he in a contract year?

Daver
09-28-2008, 11:15 PM
Isn't he in a contract year?

He doesn't have the service time to be a FA.

Lip Man 1
09-28-2008, 11:15 PM
Tragg:

There are option clauses in his deal but reports are the Angels are so upset with him and his actions (much like with Cabrera) that the organization wants him out as soon as possible.

Lip

Tragg
09-28-2008, 11:20 PM
Thanks We don't have much to trade. We need to use the FA market.
How's Figgins' D?

Get a leadoff hitter, another hitter who can hit in the 2 hole (2nd basemen), move Ramirez to SS and shore-up the outfield defense - it was atrocious. (I would suggest Anderson, but Guillen simply won't play him everyday; so Williams will probably sell-low and trade him, as he did Ryan Sweeney based on Guillen's talent evaluation).

And then there's this field staff....I'd say there's a decent chance that Walker won't be back. While a new hitting coach might be able to do something about "swinging for fences", he won't do anything about plate patience.

The Dude
09-28-2008, 11:27 PM
So far I'd like to see
Trade Dye for SP or RP
Let OC, Griff go to FA
Dump Boone, MacDougal, DJ, Wise, Toby

Keep Javy as 5th starter, add a solid #3 arm since Jose is probably toast
Pick up a 2nd baseman and move Ramirez to SS. Get KWs boy Chone for 3rd
Keep Juan as utility.

Lineup
3B Chone
C AJ
LF TCQ
DH Thome
1B PK
SS Ramirez
CF BA
RF Swisher
2B ??

SP Buehrle
SP Floyd
SP Danks
SP ??
SP Javy

RP Jenks
RP Thor
RP Dotel
RP Richard
RP ??

SpartanSoxFan
09-28-2008, 11:35 PM
Tragg:

There are option clauses in his deal but reports are the Angels are so upset with him and his actions (much like with Cabrera) that the organization wants him out as soon as possible.

Lip

I like the fact that Figgins can steal bases and play multiple infield positions...but do we need another ego with a big mouth in the clubhouse like Cabrera?

Rohan
09-28-2008, 11:38 PM
Ichiro is a possibility?
A real, contact hitting, speedy, lead off man.

TDog
09-28-2008, 11:40 PM
I like the fact that Figgins can steal bases and play multiple infield positions...but do we need another ego with a big mouth in the clubhouse like Cabrera?

Am I reading that the Angels don't?

SpartanSoxFan
09-28-2008, 11:58 PM
Am I reading that the Angels don't?

I really couldn't care less if the Angles don't. Do WE, as in the WHITE SOX, want to take on a possible clubhouse cancer?

JermaineDye05
09-29-2008, 12:09 AM
Ichiro is a possibility?
A real, contact hitting, speedy, lead off man.

The Mariners just signed him to an extension this year. After this season I can't see the Mariners dumping him. He at least brings fans to the park. I'm sure there's a possibility but it's a very very slim one. I don't even know what it would take to get him. Something like Beckham/Danks, OF/Poreda/Floyd or Danks SP. I don't know if Kenny can trade either Beckham or Danks yet I think there's like a timetable for when you can trade your draft picks, not too sure how it works. But yeah basically it would take a ton of prospects to get Ichiro and I don't think Kenny is willing to do it, or if it's worth it.

LoveYourSuit
09-29-2008, 12:10 AM
The thing is, we're not made of money. The inflation rate of free agents seems to dwarf the inflation rate of everything else in the US. Figgins might be the best possibility to shoot for because he's very fast, very versatile (3B, 2B, Outfield...) and a prototype lead-off hitter (career OBP over .350), but we can probably only really afford to go after one truly marquee free agent.

There are probably going to be some decent starting pitchers available, but nowadays you have to give anyone who's had one season in their career with an ERA below 4.50 at least a $50 million contract, so it's pretty pointless.

I actually wouldn't mind the core of this team staying together- I think we're only a couple players away from getting things together. We're probably going to have to part ways with Thome though. He's a nice guy, a great clubhouse presence, plays hard and can still hit homers, but he's a very one-dimensional player. Crede's also gone, we'll always remember and love the guy- but I'd rather spend that money on Figgins who subtracts a bit of defense (pre-2008 defense as Joe didn't look so super this season), but adds speed, versatility and patience at the plate. I think we've got enough offense that having one all-field, no-hit player won't kill us- so we can afford to give Anderson one final chance. If he doesn't produce don't bring him back in 2010.

I wouldn't mind seeing Getz and Uribe compete for the second base job.

How about this for size?

Figgins 3B
Pierzynski C
Quentin LF
Dye RF
Konerko DH
Swisher 1B
Ramirez SS
Getz/Uribe 2B
Anderson CF

If we can't get Figgins, maybe then we should shoot for Brian Roberts or Orlando Hudson. I'm just concerned that Roberts will be even more expensive than Figgins and that Hudson will be more than he's worth as well as just not fast enough to put in the leadoff spot.

~Steve

I like how that will look as long as Getz (not Uribe) is the guy hitting second. The AJ batting second thing grew a bit old for me this year. As for Uribe, he needs to be an IF platoon guy all year because it appears this is the only way he can focus as a hitter (not knowing when he will play).

A CF upgrade would be welcomed with open arms too.

Thome is not going anywhere.

We either move Swisher to get something in return to fill a bigger hole (bullpen help) or just keep him as an insurance policy and platoon guy for the OF. His contract is cheap anyway, let's just hope he doesn't bitch about not playing every day.

LoveYourSuit
09-29-2008, 12:12 AM
The Mariners just signed him to an extension this year. After this season I can't see the Mariners dumping him. He at least brings fans to the park. I'm sure there's a possibility but it's a very very slim one. I don't even know what it would take to get him. Something like Beckham/Danks, OF/Poreda/Floyd or Danks SP. I don't know if Kenny can trade either Beckham or Danks yet I think there's like a timetable for when you can trade your draft picks, not too sure how it works. But yeah basically it would take a ton of prospects to get Ichiro and I don't think Kenny is willing to do it, or if it's worth it.

There was an article that said the clubhouse hates Ichiro. Attendance is hurting in SEA for the first time in a long time and they need tons of work on that roster. Ichiro could be had IMO on a trade but we are talking about giving up the farm for him.

SoxSpeed22
09-29-2008, 01:11 AM
Ichiro is all that franchise has at this point, especially with a new GM coming. I doubt he/she would trade Ichiro.

forte
09-29-2008, 01:26 AM
So far I'd like to see
Trade Dye for SP or RP
Let OC, Griff go to FA

Keep Javy as 5th starter, add a solid #3 arm since Jose is probably toast
Pick up a 2nd baseman and move Ramirez to SS. Get KWs boy Chone for 3rd
Keep Juan as utility.

And just who exactly are we going to trade for all of these new players?

DaveFeelsRight
09-29-2008, 01:28 AM
And just who exactly are we going to trade for all of these new players?i believe figgins is a free agent

EDIT: a few good arms on the free agent market as well.

Daver
09-29-2008, 01:29 AM
i believe figgins is a free agent

EDIT: a few good arms on the free agent market as well.

You believe wrong.

DaveFeelsRight
09-29-2008, 01:31 AM
You believe wrong.:(:

Craig Grebeck
09-29-2008, 07:33 AM
Willy Taveras gives us fits. I wouldn't mind having him on our side for a change.
He hit .251/.308/.296 this season. IN COORS!

hellview
09-29-2008, 08:26 AM

Beckham and Danks can't get traded till Aug. 19 2009. A player can't be traded until a year after they sign.

palehozenychicty
09-29-2008, 09:09 AM
Beckham and Danks can't get traded till Aug. 19 2009. A player can't be traded until a year after they sign.

Trading those guys would be dumb anyway. They could be exactly what this team needs, as far as youth, athleticism, and versatility.

asindc
09-29-2008, 10:02 AM
My wish list for 2009:

1) Bring in a true leadoff guy. Anyone who can do an OBP of at least .350, does not strike out a lot, and can steal at least 30 bases. How many guys like that are available?

2) 5th starter. Actually, a 4th starter to move Javy to 5th. I would rather keep him, as replacing him and adding another starter is too much to ask.

3) A 3rd basemen who can play solid defense.

4) As always (for every team) improve the bullpen.

5) Trade one of Dye, Thome, or Konerko. Enough of this station-to-station crap. I want to see more Go Go Sox! And I say this even though Dye is my favorite current Sox player.

getonbckthr
09-29-2008, 10:30 AM
1) Figgins - 3B
2) Matthews Jr- CF
3) Quentin - LF
4) Dye- RF
5) Thome- DH
6) Ramirez-SS
7) Pierzynski- C
8) Swisher- 1B
9) Uribe- 2B
Bench- Wise (OF), Getz (IF), Fields (IF), Phillips or Lucy (C)
Rotation- Buerhle, Floyd, Danks, Garza, Vazquez
PEN- Jenks (CL), Thornton, Linebrink, Dotel, Carasco, Richard, Russell/Wasserman
-------------------------------------------------------------
HOW WE GOT THERE:
Konerko for Figgins and Matthews. Anaheim would love this deal when Texiera bolts to Baltimore or NY. They want Figgins gone and would jump at moving Matthews contract. Only thing holding it up will be Konerko willingness to accept.
Anderson and Broadway for Garza. Tampa needs to make room for Price. Anderson is ready to explode in my opinion. AN outfield of Crawford, Upton and Anderson I can't see many balls falling.

khan
09-29-2008, 10:31 AM
So far I'd like to see
Trade Dye for SP or RP
I wouldn't. $9.5M for Dye's sort of production is highway robbery on the Sox's part. Nowadays in MLB, $9.5M buys you a mediocre player who had one lucky season just before making it to free agency.

Let OC, Griff go to FA
Agreed. But OC has to be offered arbitration, and he has to refuse it for the Sox to best profit. Acquiring Griffey was a mistake in the first place.

OK. Boone was stupidly advanced from ROOKIE BALL to the bigs when he first came up. IMO, here's a guy who should have spent the last 2 seasons in Birmingham or Charlotte figuring a few more things out. But the stupid White Sox minor league system felt it to be a better idea to rush this kid to the bigs. No offense, but IMO, "dumping" him at this point is beyond moronic. Better to send Boone down to Charlotte, and work out his issues at a lower level, before bringing him back later in 2009, or using him as a trade deadline chip.

MacDougal has got to be the most frustrating player in the organization. He's the Javy Vazquez of the bullpen. So I have no idea as to what can be done with him.

DJ has surpassed what the Sox envisioned for him. He's on a veteran minimum contract. ANYTHING he produces is pure gravy. Dumping him is dumb, given what he's produced for what he cost the organization. He's basically a free player. Invite him to Spring Training, I say.

Wise has also surpassed what the Sox envisioned for him. Like DJ, he's making the veteran minimum. He's no superstar, but at the cost, he's earned an invite to spring training.

Toby is a backup catcher. In other words, he's neither a reason for the Sox being good, nor a reason for the Sox being poor. There is little to gain from "dumping" him, unless there is a quality young catcher in the organization somewhere. Since we're talking about the White Sox minor league system, I doubt there's even a catcher that can play dead in Charlotte or Birmingham. Phillips and Lucy don't strike me as MLB-quality material, though I admit I could also be wrong. Just the fact that they've been in the White Sox organization makes them more likely to suck than to be good. [I can't remember the last time the Sox drafted and developed their own Catcher that was any damn good.]

Craig Grebeck
09-29-2008, 10:43 AM
1) Figgins - 3B
2) Matthews Jr- CF
3) Quentin - LF
4) Dye- RF
5) Thome- DH
6) Ramirez-SS
7) Pierzynski- C
8) Swisher- 1B
9) Uribe- 2B
Bench- Wise (OF), Getz (IF), Fields (IF), Phillips or Lucy (C)
Rotation- Buerhle, Floyd, Danks, Garza, Vazquez
PEN- Jenks (CL), Thornton, Linebrink, Dotel, Carasco, Richard, Russell/Wasserman
-------------------------------------------------------------
HOW WE GOT THERE:
Konerko for Figgins and Matthews. Anaheim would love this deal when Texiera bolts to Baltimore or NY. They want Figgins gone and would jump at moving Matthews contract. Only thing holding it up will be Konerko willingness to accept.
Anderson and Broadway for Garza. Tampa needs to make room for Price. Anderson is ready to explode in my opinion. AN outfield of Crawford, Upton and Anderson I can't see many balls falling.
That is horrible. The Angels, Sox, Rays, ****, Selig's office, EVERYBODY would deny these trades. They are terrible.

Jimmy Piersall
09-29-2008, 11:52 AM
That is horrible. The Angels, Sox, Rays, ****, Selig's office, EVERYBODY would deny these trades. They are terrible.

Why are they terrible Craig ?

Craig Grebeck
09-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Why are they terrible Craig ?
Do I even need to go into this? We're taking on one of the worst contracts doled out in the last twenty years in Matthews. He had an absolute mirage of a season in Texas in 2006, and was rewarded by the Angels. He did terribly in 2007 and 2008, and appears to no longer have his (mythical) defensive ability he showed in 2006.

The Rays would laugh their asses off with that offer. Matt Garza is absolutely, unequivocally, untouchable. They gave up a ton in acquiring him and see him as a part of their future. Brian Anderson has proven nothing at the major league level, other than elite defensive ability. Lance Broadway hasn't done a damn thing in professional baseball, sans one start against a Royals team playing for nothing. If they need to make room for Price, why on earth would they move one of their best pitchers for two spare parts? Ever heard of Edwin Jackson? He's easily the best candidate to go on that staff.

Also, if Anderson is primed for a breakout as you say, why are we trading for an over the hill CF?

Horrible, terrible, no good analysis.

MISoxfan
09-29-2008, 12:45 PM
2B Chone Figgins
SS Alexei Ramirez
LF Carlos Quentin
RF Jermaine Dye
DH Jim Thome
1B Paul Konerko
CF Brian Anderson
C AJ Pierzynski
3B Juan Uribe

If we can have that I'll be happy. We'll need another starter too, but I don't know who we could get. I also wouldn't be opposed to another year from Cabrera batting second behind Figgins.

BadBobbyJenks
09-29-2008, 12:56 PM
3B Chone Figgins
2B Orlando Hudson
LF Carlos Quentin
DH Jim Thome
1B Paul Konerko
C AJ Pierzynski
SS Alexei Ramirez
RF Nick Swisher
CF Brian Anderson

Buehrle
Floyd
Danks
Who ever we can get for Dye. Something with San Francisco possibly, Cain or Sanchez?
Javy

JermaineDye05
09-29-2008, 12:58 PM
3B Chone Figgins
2B Orlando Hudson
LF Carlos Quentin
DH Jim Thome
1B Paul Konerko
C AJ Pierzynski
SS Alexei Ramirez
RF Nick Swisher
CF Brian Anderson

Buehrle
Floyd
Danks
Who ever we can get for Dye. Something with San Francisco possibly, Cain or Sanchez?
Javy

**** either of them. Throw in Lance Broadway and get yourself a Tim Lincecum.....

I'd just like to point out I'm being facetious. I don't think that statement requires teal.

jabrch
09-29-2008, 01:03 PM
I just don't get why people would be so quick to give up players of value for Chone Figgins. He's not a great defender at any position. Of course he has no power. 2 of his last three seasons his avg/obp haven't been great. His 4 year trend on SBs is straight down - from 62 to 34. He just turned 30 years old - so it isn't like he is young. He has only played 116 games each of the past two years - has been dinged up a bit. And it isn't as if he is inexpensive either. He made 5mm this year. So the absolute least he makes assuming LAA offers him arbitration, and the max paycut, and they win, is 4mm.

Chone Figgins? Sorry - I don't buy it. He's had one great year (2007) and a few decent years (2004 and 2005). But this year he is hitting .276/.367/.318. That doesn't excite me. I know the OBP is nice - but that alone isn't enough. Swish had a .381 OBP last year after a .372 the year before. That alone, isn't enough.

If we can get him cheap because LAA wants to dump him, then I think of two things - 1) Sure - for cheap - I guess I'll take him. and 2) Why? Why does a team that can afford to keep him as a bench player not want him? What's the reason...

BadBobbyJenks
09-29-2008, 01:03 PM
**** either of them. Throw in Lance Broadway and get yourself a Tim Lincecum.....

I'd just like to point out I'm being facetious. I don't think that statement requires teal.

Normally no it would not, but there are people on here that think we should be able to trade for Lincecum.

AZChiSoxFan
09-29-2008, 01:08 PM
My wish list for 2009:

2) 5th starter. Actually, a 4th starter to move Javy to 5th. I would rather keep him, as replacing him and adding another starter is too much to ask.

What would you think of bringing in Randy Johnson? He's a FA and he won 11 games this season with an ERA < 4. That's not bad for 4th or 5th starter. Plus, you would be a lot of PR when he wins #300 next year.

PaleHoser
09-29-2008, 01:10 PM
He hit .251/.308/.296 this season. IN COORS!

His batting average is still 30 points higher than Swisher's, and even on a down year his lifetime batting average is .283. I'd like to see a higher OBP but I don't see that happening.

He also stole 68 bases, which is three more than the Sox have as a team.

jabrch
09-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Something like Beckham/Danks, OF/Poreda/Floyd or Danks SP.

Even if we could (which we can't) I wouldn't...not for Ichiro...

We would suck so tremendously for a decade.

By the way, Ichiro, in 2008, .311/.361/.386

Sure - I'd love to have that. But not for $20mm, our of our best prospects and a legitimate #2 type starter who is locked down under control cheap for 4 more years.

I'm glad KW runs this team and doesn't respond to fans manic gyrations.

Craig Grebeck
09-29-2008, 01:23 PM
His batting average is still 30 points higher than Swisher's, and even on a down year his lifetime batting average is .283. I'd like to see a higher OBP but I don't see that happening.

He also stole 68 bases, which is three more than the Sox have as a team.
And somehow Swisher still has an OBP .24 points higher than Taveras and a significant advantage in SLG. If we want that production, just give the job to BA.

There's a reason Taveras will be non-tendered at the end of the season.