PDA

View Full Version : The Darrin Jackson Appreciation Thread

thomas35forever
09-28-2008, 04:21 PM
:DJ

Good luck, DJ! Thanks for years of service to the organization!

SteveFakeBlood
09-28-2008, 04:26 PM
DJ caught a lot of flack from a lot of people, but I never had a problem with him. He wasn't the greatest broadcaster in the world, but he brought a lot of passion and enthusiasm to it. A lot of people are opposed to "homer" announcers in the booth, but I like how they actually get excited or disappointed with how the team is doing- makes them seem more down-to-earth rather than striving for some bull**** objectivity (while being around the team constantly).

Also, he had a damn good season for us in '94.

~Steve

Sockinchisox
09-28-2008, 04:28 PM
Is DJ not doing the game tomorrow?

Or is WGN broadcasting the TBS feed?

HartmanSox
09-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Is this a parody thread? :D:

Tragg
09-28-2008, 04:40 PM
Good luck DJ.
You did a good job.

kba
09-28-2008, 04:41 PM
He still has one more game with Hawk. Monday on WGN.

aryzner
09-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Good luck DJ. You're a great guy.

manders_01
09-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Sounded like when he and Hawk were talking about his future, he hasn't completely ruled out being in the booth with Farmer.

If we don't see you again next season DJ, thanks for the memories!

Gerry
09-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Holy dog ****, the possibility of Farmer and DJ together on a radio broadcast is ear shattering. I can' stand DJ describing what I'm already watching, how the hell is he going to do describing what I'm not watching. Singleton might be off the hook of all time worse play by play if DJ takes the radio job.

The Critic
09-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Holy dog ****, the possibility of Farmer and DJ together on a radio broadcast is ear shattering. I can' stand DJ describing what I'm already watching, how the hell is he going to do describing what I'm not watching. Singleton might be off the hook of all time worse play by play if DJ takes the radio job.

If you're not able to see it, DJ describing it for you might just be a good thing!
:D:

turners56
09-28-2008, 04:53 PM
As a token of appreciation, Hawk kissed DJ today on the kiss cam.

DSpivack
09-28-2008, 04:55 PM
Is DJ not doing the game tomorrow?

Or is WGN broadcasting the TBS feed?

Tomorrow is WGN.

Tuesday would be TBS.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-28-2008, 04:56 PM
DJ, new to the broadcasting biz after retiring as a player, improved his skills over the years.

Thanks and good luck, Deej. Wish you the best wherever you end up.

thomas35forever
09-28-2008, 04:59 PM
As a token of appreciation, Hawk kissed DJ today on the kiss cam.
I thought that was in Anaheim.

BleacherBandit
09-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Well, if not for the Sox, I'm sure that DJ will find a home broadcasting for another team. At least I hope he does, he's a good guy.

turners56
09-28-2008, 05:06 PM

They did it again today. I was told by Ed Farmer.

Frontman
09-28-2008, 05:08 PM

That was stuff over the course of the year, and yes; that was in Anaheim.

DJ, if you're not back with the Sox next year; Fiesty. We sure appreciated you being along for the ride. (Now, if you don't come back, get a job with that MLB network. It be nice to see someone from the Sox on there when it launches!)

spongyfungy
09-28-2008, 05:16 PM
I guess I'm one of the few who enjoyed DJ in the booth. It was a bit uncomfortable to listen to in the beginning for me but I thought it was fine.

I do hope he takes the radio offer but as he said he has to make the decision with his wife.

Foulke You
09-28-2008, 05:24 PM
DJ got better as time went along. He wasn't a hall of fame broadcaster but Hawk and DJ were a good tandem for a while. (I know there are a lot of Hawk and DJ haters but I liked them together) Not sure how Farmer and DJ would work. I don't know if DJ could do radio PBP. If he is just color commentary like Stone, it might be ok.

EDIT: Almost forgot! My favorite DJ memories are some of his "so bad they are good" HR calls. The "OHHHHH MYYYY!!" HR call on Frank's blast a few years ago and who could forget the "UHHHHHHH OHHHHHHH!!! UHHHH OHHHHH!!! BYE BYE!!" HR calls of yester yore.

tstrike2000
09-28-2008, 05:29 PM
DJ got better as time went on and I think at times Hawk actually kept him back because of how full Hawk can be of himself. I never really minded DJ. He seems like a great guy, too and wish him the best whatever he ends up doing.

Mots09
09-28-2008, 05:41 PM
He will alwasy remind me of towlie off South Park

Frankfan4life
09-28-2008, 05:48 PM
I have been a DJ supporter from the beginning. I will miss him. I think he improved a lot as a broadcaster and that he has a great knowledge of the game. I think Hawk's dynamic personality and influence made it hard for DJ to assert his true personality as a broadcaster. Nevertheless, I feel that this experience he has gained in the booth will serve him well wherever he ends up.

I do think Steve Stone is an excellent broadcaster and I am happy he is with the Sox. I really hope DJ accepts the Sox radio job and then perhaps when Hawk retires he can come back to television. I think a Jackson/Stone team would be awesome!!!

Good luck DJ with whatever you decide to do! I wish you well!!!!!!

SoxSpeed22
09-28-2008, 05:50 PM
DJ improved as a broadcaster over the years. He was good at interviewing the guests and sometimes kept Hawk in check during various rants. Aside from several singing moments in the booth, he was good to listen to. DJ, you will be missed. Even though I think Steve Stone will do an outstanding job next year and beyond.
:worship::DJ

Noneck
09-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Any Sox broadcaster that has played for the Sox (White that is) I will not knock. I hope he does well in the future.

#1swisher
09-28-2008, 06:18 PM
I liked DJ as well. We knew it was a matter of time before Stone stepped in.
Good Luck DJ.

chisoxfanatic
09-28-2008, 06:21 PM
DJ's had some great moments here, and has been hilarious at times.

Thank you for your nearly decade of service alongside Hawk Harrelson!

KyWhiSoxFan
09-28-2008, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the calls, DJ. You had the unenviable task of sitting next to the Hawkaroo. You deserve combat pay.

FedEx227
09-28-2008, 06:33 PM
"uuuuuuh-ohhhh.... Gooood bye!"

ND_Sox_Fan
09-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Is this like the Andy Gonzalez Appreciation Thread or something?

In all seriousness, it is hard to believe that DJ has been in the booth for 9 years. I have not listened to DJ much over the last five years, as I have opted for music and the mute button, but one does not last for nine years in a position without making some positive contribution. When I have listened, DJ was improved of late, but he was no award-winning broadcaster.

DJ, best of luck in your future endeavors.

ChiSoxFan81
09-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Uhhhhhhh Ohhhhh....He's going...going....GONE!!!

PatK
09-28-2008, 07:04 PM
DJ caught way too much crap over the years.

He may have been bad at first, but I think he's improved over the years.

When DJ does FOX broadcasts, he's a much better announcer, leading me to believe that half the reason he "sucked" was because of Hawk

PaleHoseGeorge
09-28-2008, 07:13 PM
I listened to today's Sox game in its entirety on the radio and watched portions of it on TV with the audio muted for only one reason -- and the reason WASN'T Darrin Jackson's fault. Judging by the TV booth nonsense commented upon inside today's Game Day thread, it was a smart move on my part.

Hawk was criticizing the Royals? Un-****ing-believable...

If DJ had any shortcomings it was his inability to ever rein in Hawk Harrelson's massive ego. He has good company; Tom Paciorek never could manage it either. Now it's all up to Steve Stone to bring sense back to Sox TV coverage that has been especially lacking the last two years.

Best of luck to Darrin Jackson. You deserved a better fate and you'll no doubt enjoy greater success elsewhere than you ever would achieve staying where you've been.

soxfanreggie
09-28-2008, 07:30 PM
I liked Whimpy. I have great respect for DJ for being a nice guy, but we're gaining, in the booth, someone who is viewed, arguably, as one of the best in the business.

If there isn't a job for him in a booth somewhere, can we retain him as a front office staff member. Maybe not on the baseball operations side, but somewhere else?

PHG, I will agree with you. Hawk needs right now to lay off the umpires and focus on what is happening in the present. An inning or two is ok, but for days and days...c'mon, MLB isn't going to call us and tell us we can replay those bad games.

soxpride724
09-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks DJ, for not going off on Hawk so many times like I thought you would,lol.

StillMissOzzie
09-28-2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the years of service, DJ. You grew on me.

SMO
:o: Uh - oh!

Mots09
09-28-2008, 07:50 PM
It's been pretty great the last few weeks listenin to Hawk and DJ because it seems like DJ has cut it loose knowin he wasn't going to be back.

He reminded me of Monte on Major League early in his career, and then progressed to become more and more goofy.

I especially enjoyed when he would do interviews in the booth, and usually creep the person out (always laughing at an ackward time).

Oh the memories good luck DJ:gulp:

TomBradley72
09-28-2008, 08:07 PM
Best of luck DJ...you seem like a genuinely good guy.

As a member of the White Sox broadcast team...I thought you were mediocre, adding very little to the broadcast either as a former major league player or as a professional announcer. I doubt there will be a single moment in the 2009 season when I miss your presence in the booth.

Please do not return as a member of the radio team.

MushMouth
09-28-2008, 08:38 PM
I've always enjoyed DJ's bland stylings. I think it went well with Hawk's over-the-top grandpa thing. I like them both. Then again, I'm not one of the folks that is easily irritated by announcers. 162 games, you're gonna have good days and bad ones.

SpartanSoxFan
09-28-2008, 09:08 PM
I will say that I probably was too harsh on him, especially with the infamous "UH OH!" homerun call. For him to be able to work alongside one of the biggest egoes in sports broadcasting is no easy task, and for the most part, he handled it like a pro.

doublem23
09-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Good color guy, bad at play-by-play.

Maybe not my favorite announcer, but after 9 years, it'll be a bit weird not hearing his voice call the Sox next year.

mccoydp
09-28-2008, 09:48 PM
I never had a problem with Darrin Jackson in the booth.

It doesn't hurt that he was as nice as can be when I asked him for an autograph after a Royals-Sox game in K.C. in September 2007.

Good luck to you Darrin!

jabrch
09-28-2008, 10:36 PM
I don't dislike DJ - but I won't miss him either.

HITMEN OF 77
09-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Best of luck DJ!! I for one will miss you not being in the TV booth next year. Here's to my favorite Sox broadcast duo of all time, Hawk & DJ :gulp:

TheCommander
09-28-2008, 10:56 PM
Best of luck DJ...you seem like a genuinely good guy.

As a member of the White Sox broadcast team...I thought you were mediocre, adding very little to the broadcast either as a former major league player or as a professional announcer. I doubt there will be a single moment in the 2009 season when I miss your presence in the booth.

Please do not return as a member of the radio team.

My sentiments exactly. Nice guy,but I appreciate he won't be back in the tv booth next year.

EuroSox35
09-28-2008, 11:38 PM
Who saw that video of his first broadcast? He looked scared ****less! You've come a long way DJ, and you get a lot worse in this town then you deserve. Good luck

whitesox901
09-29-2008, 12:38 AM
No love from me...bring on Stoney!

asindc
09-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Well, I can take him or leave him as far as an announcer, but I do appreciate the fine season he played in 1994 for the Sox. :gulp:

seventyseven
09-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Nice guy, crummy broadcaster.

KingXerxes
09-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Anybody - and I mean anybody - who put up with as much egomaniacal crap as Darrin Jackson has over the years deserves a tip of the cap from me.

:hawk

"Maybe Xerxes............but let me tell you something.............and this is coming from over fifty years as a player...a player who loved his Nehru jackets......a player who quit baseball to play golf........a golfer who was in way over his head.........a golfer who returned to be a player.......a clubhouse lawyer through all of it........then a Red Sox announcer.......and a Red Sox announcer that got run out of Boston.........then a White Sox announcer...........then an ex-announcer who wheedled his way into becoming a GM..........then a GM who got run out of town...........then back to becoming a White Sox announcer who talked about golf, but never brought up the GM stint.......well DJ you know what I'm thinking don't you?"

"To be honest - I've never known what you're thinking....or what you're saying for that matter. Good Bye."

Good luck Darrin - in your case the grass truly will be greener.

SOXandILLINI
09-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Saying DJ improved over the years is like saying the turd that's been sitting there for days doesn't smell as bad cus its gotten hard, true, but its still a turd, and DJ was and is terrible. Good luck making somebody elses ears bleed.

Uncle_Patrick
09-29-2008, 04:32 PM
I never minded DJ as much as some of you guys. Good luck, DJ, with whatever you end up doing, be it going to the radio side with Farmer or moving on somewhere else.