PDA

View Full Version : Strange Game in San Francisco

DSpivack
09-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Giants' Bengie Molina hits single off the top of the wall; is replaced by pinch-runner Emanuel Burris. Giants protest, replay shows it was a home run (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2008/09/replay-gone-wil.html); Burris rounds the bases. Torre protests that Burris must run since he had replaced Molina in the game. Thus, Molina hits a HR but does not get credited with a run for it.

fusillirob1983
09-27-2008, 11:57 PM
That's pretty cool.

DSpivack
09-28-2008, 12:05 AM
That's pretty cool.

Stupid, if you ask me [which you didn't]. The HR should cancel out the pinch-runner, since he only pinch ran as a result of a play which had been overruled.

cleanwsox
09-28-2008, 12:11 AM
Stupid, if you ask me [which you didn't]. The HR should cancel out the pinch-runner, since he only pinch ran as a result of a play which had been overruled.

I agree. So Torre wants the pinch runner to run it out so Molina is pulled from the game? If it was a homer to start with, it should be him running the bases.

DSpivack
09-28-2008, 12:15 AM
Visiting Japanese baseball reporters reacted to Friday's weirdness (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2008/09/how-the-japanes.html).

LoveYourSuit
09-28-2008, 12:20 AM

That's probably one of the details they forgot to discuss when they put the instant replay rule in effect.

A reverse call should clear any moves that resulted from the bad call.

TDog
09-28-2008, 01:32 AM
That's probably one of the details they forgot to discuss when they put the instant replay rule in effect.

A reverse call should clear any moves that resulted from the bad call.

Absolutely. Unless molina were injured and unable to run, the call reversal should have negated the pinch-runner.

This is just another chapter in the legacy of the slowest baserunner in baseball. Who else could be removed for a pinch-runner before scoring on his own home run?

Thursday night, Molina, after reaching first to lead off the second inning, advanced to second base on a passed ball on the next pitch, third on a wild pitch on the next pitch, and after the next pitch went to the screen, he was thrown out at the plate.

You just can't make up the baserunning adventures of Benji Molina.

DSpivack
09-28-2008, 02:07 AM
TDog: Is Molina slower than Paulie? I'd like to see that race.

Nellie_Fox
09-28-2008, 02:11 AM
TDog: Is Molina slower than Paulie? I'd like to see that race.Oh, yeah. Paulie would lap Molina.

DSpivack
09-28-2008, 02:21 AM
Oh, yeah. Paulie would lap Molina.

Wow.

southside rocks
09-28-2008, 08:45 AM

Yeah, I would think so too. If the hit isn't a single, the game rewinds and Molina is still in, there is no pinch-runner -- you can't insert a pinch-runner on a homerun, can you?

Strange.

southside rocks
09-28-2008, 08:46 AM
Oh, yeah. Paulie would lap Molina.

Not saying you're not correct, but I'm having trouble getting my mind to produce that picture. :D:

FarWestChicago
09-28-2008, 09:04 AM
Oh, yeah. Paulie would lap Molina.:walnuts

Nellie, West and I have the utmost respect for you. But, don't be dissing me like that. I am the slowest man in all of professional sports. There are 400 pound nose tackles that can take me. :nod: