PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Bay Rays, and Anaheim Ducks similarities

captainclutch24
09-27-2008, 03:38 AM
Anaheim Ducks drop Mighty from their name before 2006-2007 season, finish second in conference and go on to win Stanley Cup Championsip.

Tampa Rays drop Devil from their name before 2008 season, will finish second in their league. 2008 World Series Champions? We shall see

JUribe1989
09-27-2008, 11:05 AM
Both teams also essentially started from the ground up after '03. The Ducks did it with draft picks and trading away Sykora and Fedorov for guys like Getzlaf, Perry, Kuntz, and Lupul becoming the youngest team in the NHL. Jean-Sebastien Giguere acted as their Carl Crawford through their down year and a half.

I want Mags back
09-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Anaheim Ducks drop Mighty from their name before 2006-2007 season, finish second in conference and go on to win Stanley Cup Championsip.

Tampa Rays drop Devil from their name before 2008 season, will finish second in their league. 2008 World Series Champions? We shall see

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim win the 2003 Western Conference and go to game 7 in the Final.

Tampa Bay Devil Rays never win more than 72 games

Railsplitter
09-28-2008, 12:27 PM
I've never liked the Mighty Ducks moniker, though they have been inching away the the "Mighty" part lately.

TheOldRoman
09-28-2008, 05:28 PM
I've never liked the Mighty Ducks moniker, though they have been inching away the the "Mighty" part lately.There was no inching involved. Two years ago, they dropped "Mighty" completely. They are now the Anaheim Ducks. Disney used to own the team, and it named them after the movie. Of course, it was a terrible decision by the NHL to allow that. When Disney sold, they told the new owners that they would only have the next season to use the name, and then they had to legally change it.

SteveFakeBlood
09-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Other than us, I'd most like to see the Rays win it all. $45 million payroll, mostly young, homegrown players- it was great to see them snuff the (insert your favorite disparaging name for the Red Sox here) and Yankees for the division title. Of course, if we end up playing them in the first round- I'll focus on how they only had (probably literally) five fans a few months ago and now Florida is full of people wearing Rays hats.

~Steve

RockyMtnSoxFan
09-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Other than us, I'd most like to see the Rays win it all. $45 million payroll, mostly young, homegrown players- it was great to see them snuff the (insert your favorite disparaging name for the Red Sox here) and Yankees for the division title. Of course, if we end up playing them in the first round- I'll focus on how they only had (probably literally) five fans a few months ago and now Florida is full of people wearing Rays hats.

~Steve

I'm rooting for the Rays, after the Sox of course. I think that teams that are primarily built from within and have a good mix of pitching and hitting are fun to watch. Plus, I am so sick of the Red Sox I would root for just about anybody (except for other AL Central teams, the Yankees, or the Angels).

By the way, there's an article (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2008/columns/story?columnist=caple_jim&id=3609398)on ESPN about the Rays. Apparently, Maddon has posted a sign reading "Attitude is a decision." I like that guy.

PatK
09-29-2008, 03:00 PM
I wasn't aware that a children's movie inspired the Rays original name.