09-27-2008, 01:16 AM
She got her start with the White Sox.

drewcifer
09-27-2008, 01:19 AM
:shrug:

W's and L's the same. Either way.

BleacherBandit
09-27-2008, 01:26 AM
As long as she can manage to not screw up a blockbuster trade, then people will be happy with her. God, the Mariners are a joke though.

Mohoney
09-27-2008, 02:47 AM
That is one hell of a mess that she would be inheriting. Spending $100+ million and losing 100+ games? She needs to shed payroll ASAP, try to recoup some of the farm losses from the Bedard trade, and really nail that 1st round draft pick. This is probably at least a 3 or 4 year rebuilding project.

Medford Bobby
09-27-2008, 09:14 AM
And her manager for 2009 will be Joey Cora?:scratch:

LongLiveFisk
09-27-2008, 09:26 AM
As a female, I would love to see this. :D:

Railsplitter
09-27-2008, 10:39 AM
She can't be much worse than whoever they have there now.

ohthosechisox
09-27-2008, 12:50 PM

Same here. I'm majoring in sports management, so it only gives me hope for more job opportunities in the future. ;)

chaerulez
09-27-2008, 12:58 PM
Not only would she be the first female GM in any of the major American leagues, she'd be the first Asian GM of any of the major American leagues. If she gets hired and succeeds, would really prove that sports management jobs are open to those that are qualified regardless of what background they possess.

Sox4ever77
09-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Not only would she be the first female GM in any of the major American leagues, she'd be the first Asian GM of any of the major American leagues. If she gets hired and succeeds, would really prove that sports management jobs are open to those that are qualified regardless of what background they possess.

How does ONE hiring prove that? Ever heard of token hiring?

UofCSoxFan
09-27-2008, 01:42 PM
She got her start with the White Sox.

After playing softball at the University of Chicago. Our alumni magazine had a profile on her a year or so a go that was a pretty good read. She got her big break by winning an arbitration case against Mariano Rivera back with the Yankees.

UofCSoxFan
09-27-2008, 01:45 PM

She's pretty legit. Great education, worked her way starting with the Sox, won some major arbitration cases for the Yankees, is currently the assistent GM for the Dodgers.

I'd probably do some facts before making dumb statements. I'd say the fact that if she wasn't a woman, she'd probably already be a GM, given her credentials.

She was rumoured to be a candidate for the Dodgers job a couple years back too.

DoItForDanPasqua
09-27-2008, 03:54 PM
She's pretty legit. Great education, worked her way starting with the Sox, won some major arbitration cases for the Yankees, is currently the assistent GM for the Dodgers.

I'd probably do some facts before making dumb statements. I'd say the fact that if she wasn't a woman, she'd probably already be a GM, given her credentials.

She was rumoured to be a candidate for the Dodgers job a couple years back too.

I agree, she has the experience and has the same resume as many big league GMs. It's a shame that people will automatically say this would be a token hiring simply because she has no vowels in her last name.

Sox4ever77
09-27-2008, 04:07 PM
I agree, she has the experience and has the same resume as many big league GMs. It's a shame that people will automatically say this would be a token hiring simply because she has no vowels in her last name.

The comment wasn't directed toward Kim Ng. But it's a stupid statement to make, saying:

"If she gets hired and succeeds, would really prove that sports management jobs are open to those that are qualified regardless of what background they possess."

Just because ONE female gets hired. She's hardly set a trend, since I don't think there is even another female assistant GM in baseball.

cheezheadsoxfan
09-27-2008, 04:29 PM
The comment wasn't directed toward Kim Ng. But it's a stupid statement to make, saying:

"If she gets hired and succeeds, would really prove that sports management jobs are open to those that are qualified regardless of what background they possess."

Just because ONE female gets hired. She's hardly set a trend, since I don't think there is even another female assistant GM in baseball.

Have to start somewhere and she would be a role model for other women in sports management.

DSpivack
09-27-2008, 04:38 PM

I thought there was one other one.

BleacherBandit
09-27-2008, 05:41 PM

As an Asian, I'd also love to see it. :cool:

It makes sense for the Mariners, because they're kind of obsessed with asian import players....Plus, they're headed by Nintendo. Kim Ng's obviously Chinese though.

Fenway
09-28-2008, 12:08 AM
She SHOULD have gotten the Dodger job but the whispers were Jamie McCourt did not want another woman in power.

The Mariners are in horrible shape and their largest season ticket holder just went out of business this week (WaMu)

We still don't know why Hargrove bailed on them last year but it certainly appears that clubhouse is a mess.

gr8mexico
09-28-2008, 12:16 AM
The Mariners are BAD!!! and the rumors was that the players even wanted to knockout Ichiro. No one liked him in the clubhouse

DSpivack
09-28-2008, 12:16 AM
She SHOULD have gotten the Dodger job but the whispers were Jamie McCourt did not want another woman in power.

The Mariners are in horrible shape and their largest season ticket holder just went out of business this week (WaMu)

We still don't know why Hargrove bailed on them last year but it certainly appears that clubhouse is a mess .

You think that has anything to do with Ichiro? He seems such an odd character and with the all hubbub about how much his teammates hate him, it's strange goings on in the Emerald City.

goofymsfan
09-28-2008, 12:23 AM
The Mariners are BAD!!! and the rumors was that the players even wanted to knockout Ichiro. No one liked him in the clubhouse

As of right now that is all they are, rumors. None of the players are substantiating this. Some have even come out publicly and denied the rumors. Since I wasn't in the clubhouse and didn't see things first hand given the fact Ichiro signed a contract extension, I am not going to believe the rumors until they are substantiated.

Craig Grebeck
09-28-2008, 01:00 AM

That's ridiculous. Sports management jobs should be available to all people -- regardless of sex, ethnicity, sexuality, etc. Whether or not she succeeds, a qualified female = qualified male.

Fenway
09-28-2008, 01:55 AM
You think that has anything to do with Ichiro? He seems such an odd character and with the all hubbub about how much his teammates hate him, it's strange goings on in the Emerald City.

Managers just don't quit especially when a team is playing well.

It is an odd franchise in the sense that the owner never goes to a game so who actually is in charge.

Attendance will drop next year after a 100 loss season and the Seattle economy will be in turmoil with the sudden loss of thousands of downtown jobs at WaMu. The dot coms don't seem to care about sports and Bill Gates just watched his beloved Sonics leave without saying a word.

Could be a lot of long seasons ahead.

chaerulez
09-28-2008, 01:58 AM

I have, I've also heard of people making stupid comments on message boards without doing any research.

If you think this would be a token hire, you are a complete and utter fool.

BleacherBandit
09-28-2008, 01:59 AM
Managers just don't quit especially when a team is playing well.

It is an odd franchise in the sense that the owner never goes to a game so who actually is in charge.

Attendance will drop next year after a 100 loss season and the Seattle economy will be in turmoil with the sudden loss of thousands of downtown jobs at WaMu. The dot coms don't seem to care about sports and Bill Gates just watched his beloved Sonics leave without saying a word.

Could be a lot of long seasons ahead.

Seattle Mariners kind of look like the Seattle Pilots now. :(:

At least they lasted more than a season. :cool:

Sox4ever77
09-28-2008, 02:03 AM
I have, I've also heard of people making stupid comments on message boards without doing any research.

If you think this would be a token hire, you are a complete and utter fool.

Before you continue making a fool out of yourself, please read ALL the messages.

SoxSpeed22
09-28-2008, 02:33 AM
She has been a contender for a GM job before and even though fixing the Mariners would be huge challenge, if it happens for Ng, great.
They weren't the first ever $100 Million, 100 loss team for nothing.