PDA

View Full Version : *Official* SOMEONE STEP UP ALREADY Sept 26 Post Game thread

Domeshot17
09-26-2008, 11:50 PM
Sox are looking for a hero, a leader, somewhere.

If only Carlos could wake up healthy tomorrow morning.

Thome_Fan
09-26-2008, 11:51 PM
What a cock tease.

LoveYourSuit
4 straight losses at crunch time.

One word....SPINELESS.

:angry:

Red Barchetta
We score 8 runs and lose! Not a way to win a championship. I'm sick over this. The Royals stepped up and did something we couldn't do - win in Minnesota. Damn! :angry:

Woofer
Sigh. That would have been a great opportunity to take first back.

Jaysox
Our offense was there, just not our bullpen. Blew quite the opportunity tonight.

Tragg
09-26-2008, 11:52 PM
Glad to see the AAA pitchers got lots of action in the pennant race....that's what I was looking for last year, but didn't get.

Wasserman pitching anytime before the 15th inning this time of year is just being cynical.

soxwon
Big Time OVAH.

HangWiffum
These guys look demoralized and defeated.

LoveYourSuit
We only have 6 wins more than Cle ..... tells you how bad we are and how bad this division is .

tdwiek
We have been starving for runs, and finally the offense comes alive and scores 8....

Unfortunately, our grade A bullpen couldn't give up runs fast enough.

Would it be possible to never, ever see MacDougal again? Ever!!!

SoxandtheCityTee

TCQ?

Sox scored plenty o'runs tonight.

Domeshot17
Hindsight I guess, but wouldn't Dotel have been the best choice to come in in the 5th? If he just keeps it 6 or 7 to 4, we have a fighting chance

sox1970
I'm going tomorrow, and thankfully I will not see them get eliminated.

Hope they win tomorrow.

spongyfungy
09-26-2008, 11:53 PM
Sad that the chevy player of the game was Dotel for retiring 7 batters.

drewcifer
This bullpen shouldn't have even been a factor.

WHY THE **** DID OZZIE GIVE UP ON DANKS????????

LoveYourSuit
Glad to see the AAA pitchers got lots of action in the pennant race....that's what I was looking for last year, but didn't get.

Wasserman pitching anytime before the 15th inning this time of year is just being cynical.

I would like to know who the **** you want Ozzie to use out there?

They all suck.....everyone of them including Jenks last night.

EuroSox35
Chalk another loss to Ozzie. Pulled Danks way too early. To give the ball to this bullpen. This pen when our best relievers can't be used because of last night. To one of our worst pitchers in September (near 8 ERA). Ozzie must have a short memory, because Danks won when he was allowed to get out of his own mess in Oakland when he pretty much loaded the bases every inning and got out of it every time. Kid had at least another inning in him, give him a chance

LoveYourSuit
09-26-2008, 11:55 PM
Hindsight I guess, but wouldn't Dotel have been the best choice to come in in the 5th? If he just keeps it 6 or 7 to 4, we have a fighting chance

Ozzie would have been pelted with can of Cambell Soup from the crowd had he brought Dotel in right there.

Ozzie just can't win.

Woofer
Logan, Wasserman, Macdougal have no place on this team next year. It will be up to Kenny to do something with them, because Ozzie will keep using them no matter what.

drewcifer
Chalk another loss to Ozzie. Pulled Danks way too early. To give the ball to this bullpen. This pen when our best relievers can't be used because of last night. To one of our worst pitchers in September (near 8 ERA). Ozzie must have a short memory, because Danks won when he was allowed to get out of his own mess in Oakland when he pretty much loaded the bases every inning and got out of it every time. Kid had at least another inning in him, give him a chance

Thank you.

veeter
Chalk another loss to Ozzie. Pulled Danks way too early. To give the ball to this bullpen. This pen when our best relievers can't be used because of last night. To one of our worst pitchers in September (near 8 ERA). Ozzie must have a short memory, because Danks won when he was allowed to get out of his own mess in Oakland when he pretty much loaded the bases every inning and got out of it every time. Kid had at least another inning in him, give him a chanceJohn had nothing tonite.

WhiteSoxOnly
We score 8 runs and lose! Not a way to win a championship. I'm sick over this. The Royals stepped up and did something we couldn't do - win in Minnesota. Damn! :angry:

And yet we will come back for more tomorrow,and still control
our own destiny.It's almost like shopping for your own coffin.
It's not your time yet but you know it's coming.

PeoriaSoxFan
Just step on my nuts already and get it over with. Honestly, there has to be some evil power at work here. You could not write a more diabolical kick in the groin to Sox fans than what has happened the last week/month.

You give up 11 runs and blow a chance to take the lead back over, with only 3 games to play. Gutless, spineless and morevoer, this team flat out sucks ass right now. I will stick with them to the bitter end as I am forever an optimist, believe it or not. But, I have to wonder, what will the script writers have in store for us tomorrow. Don't expect Minn to lose again. We actually have to win 3 in a row.

swishasweet
the most annoying thing of all is that the twins are keeping us in it now so i have to watch this garbage another day

JB98
Missed opportunity. That's all.

EuroSox35

Or maybe in the Twins series. Or maybe have the foresight to see that even though the Twins series would be big, this Cleveland series would be just as huge (instead of overusing relievers last night). I guess he did overlook Cleveland though, Ozzie did say we'd sweep them before the game...Ozzie Guillen, the master of inspiring the opposing team.

The Twins are average, that showed tonight, it's funny how they do their worst against us. How Carlos Gomez (or when it was Lew Ford or who else they brought up) only hits against us. How Joe Nathan can struggle against everyone and we can't touch him, etc, we're the ones who hyped them up

Thome_Fan
Ozzie would have been pelted with can of Cambell Soup from the crowd had he brought Dotel in right there.

Ozzie just can't win.

Why Campbell Soup, in particular? lol

LoveYourSuit
09-26-2008, 11:56 PM
Sad that the chevy player of the game was Dotel for retiring 7 batters.

They are grasping aren't they.

Navarro's Talent
It's like watching a bad movie.

Ozzie just said that the team should be "a little bit embarrassed."

AnkleSox
You know who's to blame for this one?

The 2008 Chicago White Sox. Hitters, Pitchers, Defenders, Coaches, Manager. They've all ****ed up equally in key situations so if you're gonna point a finger, might as well point about 50.

sox1970
I'm not kidding when I say this...I would tell Russell, Logan, MacDougal, H Ramirez, and Wassermann to go home the rest of the season.

Too many bad arms in the pen. Just get by on Linebrink, Dotel, Thornton, Jenks, Carrasco, and Richard the rest of the season. Enough is enough.

Thome_Fan
Did you see today's game? Retiring 7 batters definitely qualifies him as player of the game lol.

PeoriaSoxFan
09-26-2008, 11:57 PM
At least Ozzie is telling it like it is right now.

LoveYourSuit
09-26-2008, 11:57 PM
Why Campbell Soup, in particular? lol

you want Green Giant Green Beans.... go ahead.

:tongue:

veeter
09-26-2008, 11:58 PM
Did Broadway fall off the face of the earth? At least Lance can throw strikes.

WhiteSoxOnly
At least Ozzie is telling it like it is right now.

What's he saying ?

Thome_Fan
you want Green Giant Green Beans.... go ahead.

:tongue:

Let's go with fully loaded Comiskey dogs.

I'm really hungry right now. That whole starving college student thing...
:cool:

tdwiek
This will be a big wakeup call. Sox will come out tomorrow and crush the Indians and will win out to take the division. They will continue this streak into the playoffs not losing another game ever again...

LoveYourSuit
09-26-2008, 11:59 PM

The 2008 Chicago White Sox. Hitters, Pitchers, Defenders, Coaches, Manager. They've all ****ed up equally in key situations so if you're gonna point a finger, might as well point about 50.

LoveYourSuit loves your post!

Ding Ding Ding..... add Kenny, the parking attendant, the ushers..... EVERYONE.

Blueprint1
Very difficult to swallow. We should have won this game. We put up eight runs in this one. We should have won this game. The Twins lost the game they are going to lose this series. Now we have to win four games in a row to make the post season.

DickAllen72

It would still probably be too little - too late. I doubt that the Twins will lose another game to KC at home this weekend. Tonight was the Sox' chance and they failed.

PeoriaSoxFan
09-27-2008, 12:00 AM
What's he saying ?

He is ripping their asses right now in the press conference.

thomas35forever
LoveYourSuit loves your post!

Ding Ding Ding..... add Kenny, the parking attendant, the ushers..... EVERYONE.
If you blame Southpaw, I'm losing faith in humanity.

Thome_Fan
Very difficult to swallow. We should have won this game. We put up eight runs in this one. We should have won this game. The Twins lost the game they are going to lose this series. Now we have to win four games in a row to make the post season.

Michael Scott: nnNNNNThat's what she said!!!!!!!

Sorry... :redface:

WhiteSoxOnly
This will be a big wakeup call. Sox will come out tomorrow and crush the Indians and will win out to take the division. They will continue this streak into the playoffs not losing another game ever again...

I like that thinking ! pass the pipe.

veeter
This will be a big wakeup call. Sox will come out tomorrow and crush the Indians and will win out to take the division. They will continue this streak into the playoffs not losing another game ever again...I truly believe the first part. The second part..we'll wait and see.

sox1970
Ozzie tore up his office.

Domeshot17
09-27-2008, 12:01 AM
Notes from Ozzie's post game:

(1) Eluded to him throwing OC and Swish under the bus to try and rattle their cage and get them fired up

(2) Said he was embarrassed to be a part of this game and sad for the fans.

(3) Talk about Balls, He said Jenks told him before the game he can pitch today and tomorrow if they need him

drewcifer
John had nothing tonite.

Had more than the BP.... He held them to 3 ER across the plate when he left .... in a short span, BP matched 1/2 output and put the Indians at 9. :rolleyes:

Get a clue, dude.

LoveYourSuit
If you blame Southpaw, I'm losing faith in humanity.

You know what, the hell with Gene Honda too.

tdwiek
09-27-2008, 12:02 AM
Ozzie tore up his office.

Ala Hal McRae style?

kitekrazy
09-27-2008, 12:02 AM

I think there is a reason for that. If Kenny can't trade em, they gonna get released.

PeoriaSoxFan
09-27-2008, 12:03 AM
A question asked 1,000 plus times this month in here....Why in the hell are MacDougal and Wasserman pitching, not to mention that worthless H. Ramirez? I know they all suck, but, isn't Clayton Richard or Lance Broadway available? Please, insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Danks you were terrific though. What the ****?

veeter
09-27-2008, 12:03 AM
Had more than the BP.... He held them to 3 ER across the plate when he left .... within 1/2 of that they Indians had 9. :rolleyes:

Get a clue, dude.You're not worth my time...dude.

drewcifer
09-27-2008, 12:04 AM
You're not worth my time...dude.

Mutual feeling.

EuroSox35
09-27-2008, 12:06 AM
Probably the weirdest Sox team I've ever followed, so many mixed emotions every game, I guess it's kind of sad, but all I can say is, at least we kept pace :shrug:

kitekrazy
09-27-2008, 12:07 AM

You left out injuries.

A team missing a starter, third baseman, MVP candidate.

SOXBOY
09-27-2008, 12:08 AM
Everyone I know this stinks but The Sox are still only .5 back.

drewcifer
09-27-2008, 12:08 AM
Probably the weirdest Sox team I've ever followed, so many mixed emotions every game, I guess it's kind of sad, but all I can say is, at least we kept pace :shrug:

This team doesn't pick each other up. They're terrible at it. The others in the race do.

PeoriaSoxFan
09-27-2008, 12:09 AM
What else is there to say. Time to hit the pillow and hope that when I wake up that I will realize that this was all just a really bad nightmare.

EuroSox35
09-27-2008, 12:10 AM
A question asked 1,000 plus times this month in here....Why in the hell are MacDougal and Wasserman pitching, not to mention that worthless H. Ramirez? I know they all suck, but, isn't Clayton Richard or Lance Broadway available? Please, insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Danks you were terrific though. What the ****?

I'm actually surprised he didn't go to these two, since he took Danks out early, I figured it was a good spot for a long reliever to just take a few innings, good results or not...

One thing I do have to say though, I have to give credit to fellow Sox fans, they still showed up after that terrible series, they still showed that mutual 'we still have hope, just win' attitude that's been around here since last night/before this game...but like I said before, it's at the point beyond getting all pissed now (or I wore all that out during the game), so my reaction now is at least the Twins didn't win, we're still very much in this...

tdwiek
Everyone I know this stinks but The Sox are still only .5 back.

I know, but unfortunately it seems that every night they find a new way to dissapoint us...

If there are any positives, I did like the lineup out there tonight.

drewcifer
What else is there to say. Time to hit the pillow and hope that when I wake up that I will realize that this was all just a really bad nightmare.

G'night, Paulie. :tongue:

Tragg
I would like to know who the **** you want Ozzie to use out there?

They all suck.....everyone of them including Jenks last night.
The major league pitchers - that's who. That's who pitched us to 20 above .500. Linebrink; Dotel before the game's out of reach.
It's not like these AAA pitchers are young arms who will be good one day - they are mediocre veterans who were dumped down to AAA because of non-performance.

And the young arms - Broadway and Richard - are not used.

tdwiek
09-27-2008, 12:12 AM
The major league pitchers - that's who. That's who pitched us to 20 above .500. Linebrink; Doetl before the game's over.
It's not like these AAA pitchers are young arms who will be good one day - they are mediocre veterans who were dumped down to AAA because of non-performance.

As much as I've hated Dotel, I agree. He throws strikes at least, yes some days he hangs them, but I would rather see a ball hit in play than the garbage walks and hbp's. To top it off, MacDougal had that damn balk!!

kitekrazy
09-27-2008, 12:12 AM
I know, but unfortunately it seems that every night they find a new way to dissapoint us...

If there are any positives, I did like the lineup out there tonight.

Swisher got a hit, PK, Dye homered. THe hitters take on a different personality at home.

As for the bullpen, it doesn't matter where they play.

tdwiek
09-27-2008, 12:14 AM
Swisher got a hit, PK, Dye homered. THe hitters take on a different personality at home.

As for the bullpen, it doesn't matter where they play.

Even BA looked good out there, he almost made a spectacular catch that would have robbed Garko of that grand slam!! Junior would have just watched it go...

nccwsfan
09-27-2008, 12:19 AM
Had more than the BP.... He held them to 3 ER across the plate when he left .... in a short span, BP matched 1/2 output and put the Indians at 9. :rolleyes:

Get a clue, dude.

John Danks pitching line tonight:
4 IP, 7 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 1 BB, 5 K

In the 5th inning, when Danks was removed, he had already pitched to 4 batters (3 singles & 1 walk). The game was 5-4 with no outs and runners on 1st and 2nd (and 5 ER across the plate). Given the importance of the game Ozzie & Coop had to think that the bullpen would stop the bleeding. Unfortunately it only got worse.

A historically bad night by the bullpen, but it might be a stretch to say that Danks was keeping the team in the game at the time he was removed.

LoveYourSuit
09-27-2008, 12:23 AM
You left out injuries.

A team missing a starter, third baseman, MVP candidate.

I don't buy that one bit.

A division as bad as this one you can take even if you lose those guys mentioned.

You are battling the Twins, who are not that good.

veeter
09-27-2008, 12:25 AM
John Danks pitching line tonight:
4 IP, 7 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 1 BB, 5 K

In the 5th inning, when Danks was removed, he had already pitched to 4 batters (3 singles & 1 walk). The game was 5-4 with no outs and runners on 1st and 2nd (and 5 ER across the plate). Given the importance of the game Ozzie & Coop had to think that the bullpen would stop the bleeding. Unfortunately it only got worse.

A historically bad night by the bullpen, but it might be a stretch to say that Danks was keeping the team in the game at the time he was removed.Get a clue dude. Just because he left a mess on the bases, only three had "crossed the plate" before he left. He was just about to wiggle out of it, just ask drewcifer.

BoysMom3
09-27-2008, 12:28 AM
Again, now that I know it isn't over 100% yet, I'm still hanging in there. I don't feel that bad after tonight, esp. since the Royals beat the Twins. We're no worse off than we were yesterday. :shrug:

BeefyD
09-27-2008, 12:29 AM
Geez, I can't stand McDougal. What a poor excuse for a middle relief pitcher. Outside of relieving himself on the mound, I don't see what else he actually accomplishes out there.

Sox had their chances. Could've tied it up in the 8th. Oh well. At least the offense showed up. Unfortunately, the bullpen stayed in the 1st half of the season.

On the other side, although theres heck of alot of BA bashing around here (not particularly this thread), he gave one hell of an effort to try to get that grand slam ball. Had he caught that, the place would've erupted.

Oh well, I'm sure glad those playoff tickets arrived today.:whiner:

FedEx227
09-27-2008, 12:30 AM

A division as bad as this one you can take even if you lose those guys mentioned.

Yeah how about losing your perennial Cy Young candidate and replacing him with Kevin Slowey and Nick Blackburn.

How about losing your All-Star CFer and replacing him with an unproven rookie. How about having your very good RFer hit a wall and get replaced 24-year old under the radar prospect.

Tragg
09-27-2008, 12:31 AM
Is Russel hurt?
He hasn't pitched since the Toronto series.

LoveYourSuit
09-27-2008, 12:36 AM
Yeah how about losing your perennial Cy Young candidate and replacing him with Kevin Slowey and Nick Blackburn.

How about losing your All-Star CFer and replacing him with an unproven rookie. How about having your very good RFer hit a wall and get replaced 24-year old under the radar prospect.

Bitching about injuries and umpires and blaming this choke job on it is somehting I cannot stand from Sox fans, Hawk, and whoever else mentions this in the near future.

BeviBall!
09-27-2008, 12:40 AM
The crowd was into it, the Royals were up 6-0 and we were up 4-2. Everything was fine... until the White Sox showed up.

Let's do this again tomorrow!!!!11!1

WhiteSox5187
09-27-2008, 12:41 AM
The world might be coming to an end, because I'm going to shine a lot of positivity (new word, tell your friends) on this:

1. This team didn't roll over and die like I thought they would, they fought. We had the tying run up in the eighth.

2. For tomorrow we still have our best guys available (Jenks, Thornton, Linebrink)

3. WE STILL CONTROL OUR OWN DESTINY!!!

We just need to win these next two, we're ok. Let's get 'em tomorrow. If KC can step up big again, that'd be great. But let's just focus on kicking the living **** out of Cleveland tomorrow. If we can win tomorrow (a big if), I think we're going to win the division.

IronFisk
Wow, this is getting good. When I write "good", I mean worse than any baseball I have ever seen, and we're STILL in this!

So the Sox supersuck of late - baseball being crazy as it is, we could win the next two, possibly get into the postseason, and be loose enough to make some noise.

Then again, this may be part of a colossal choke job where we end up losing the last 7 games of the season.

Baseball, gotta love it!!!

FedEx227
Bitching about injuries and umpires and blaming this choke job on it is somehting I cannot stand from Sox fans, Hawk, and whoever else mentions this in the near future.

Agreed. We lost TCQ, but **** happens. The Twins lost Johan Santana.

You can't blame injuries because you can pretty much go tit-for-tat with every team in the league on losing a player either to free agency, trade or injury.

sunofgold
09-27-2008, 12:59 AM
That was encouraging. Lewis came into the game with a low ERA. We hit him pretty well. Dye and AJ broke out of their HR droughts.

Now, JV gets a second chance to prove that he can pitch well in a big game.

Lip Man 1
09-27-2008, 01:01 AM
Got home from my broadcast game about 11:15 CST and immediately went to check the scores. My heart skipped a beat when a saw that the Twins lost, then it fell again when I saw what the Sox didn't do.

I simply don't know what to say anymore. A complete fold up job.

For what it may be worth I checked in with a member of the organization about 5:30 CST, they said they just didn't see any energy left with this team.

Apparently the pitching staff in now running on fumes. The elimination number is down to #3. If they are going to go down I'd like them to at least go down fighting, losing 8 of 11 isn't my idea of that.

Like I said I'm getting numb to things, and that's a bad sign. I'm just tired, spent.

Lip

sunofgold
09-27-2008, 01:06 AM
Their game starts around 3PM. Our game starts at 6PM. Don't know if this is good or bad. If Min loses, will we relax too much? If Min wins, will we tense up too much?

LoveYourSuit
09-27-2008, 01:12 AM
Got home from my broadcast game about 11:15 CST and immediately went to check the scores. My heart skipped a beat when a saw that the Twins lost, then it fell again when I saw what the Sox didn't do.

I simply don't know what to say anymore. A complete fold up job.

For what it may be worth I checked in with a member of the organization about 5:30 CST, they said they just didn't see any energy left with this team.

Apparently the pitching staff in now running on fumes. The elimination number is down to #3. If they are going to go down I'd like them to at least go down fighting, losing 8 of 11 isn't my idea of that.

Like I said I'm getting numb to things, and that's a bad sign. I'm just tired, spent.

Lip

Lip, I'm shocked a man of your ilk doesn't carry a blackberry or something similiar to keep track of the scores minute by minute.

What's up with that?

MHOUSE
09-27-2008, 01:13 AM
Bottom line is that this team is not that good and really doesn't deserve to make the postseason after imploding this week. Falling ass-backward into the playoffs would really only invite disaster if facing any of the other AL playoff teams in an ALDS. It's time to start thinking about 2009 and what is best for the future of this team.

JGarlandrules20
09-27-2008, 01:25 AM
At least the offense showed up and tried to fight back? That's a positive.

We've lost 4 in a row, let's turn it around and win 4 in row.
Blind optimism... for the win!

I'll be there tomorrow with my 1-0 record on the line.

JB98
09-27-2008, 01:51 AM
Bottom line is that this team is not that good and really doesn't deserve to make the postseason after imploding this week. Falling ass-backward into the playoffs would really only invite disaster if facing any of the other AL playoff teams in an ALDS. It's time to start thinking about 2009 and what is best for the future of this team.

If we win more games than the Twins, we deserve to be in the postseason. That's the bottom line.

I wish the team would sack up. It's still there for the taking. I'm tired of hearing about a "lack of energy" or whatever. They've worked toward this since February and they can't summon enough energy? If that's true, it's ridiculous.

Go Sox.

ChiSoxGirl
09-27-2008, 01:52 AM
I just got home from the game a little while ago. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised at how into the game the crowd was, especially at the beginning when "Thunderstruck" was playing. People were standing before Gene Honda told them to, they were cheering louder than I've heard them cheer during the intros in a long time, and the boo birds didn't welcome them back home (though they came out in the fifth) like I honestly thought they would, especially based on a lot of the posts in last night's post-game thread.

I thought it was really awesome how, when KC went up 3-0 on the Twins, word spread quickly and we stood up in between innings and gave the out-of-town scoreboard a standing ovation. At the time, we were up 4-2, so it was warranted and the mood was positive all around me in Sec. 130. However, no sooner did we sit back down and Cleveland went on their scoring rampage. It's a damn shame ANOTHER opportunity to gain some ground was squandered tonight, but it's not like this is anything new. We've seen this movie before, we know how it ends.

The fifth inning was a nightmare, but really so was the vast majority of the game. However, I do have to say that, despite the circumstances and this team appearing lethargic as hell in Minnesota, they really didn't quit tonight. They sent the tying run to the plate on more than one occasion, but always came up a little bit short. That's pretty much telling of our whole season, though- coming up a little bit short. And look at the current standings... we're coming up a little bit short.

Sunday's my final game of the year and it'll be sad, not only because of the sad state of affairs this team is in right now, but because it signifies the end of not only baseball season, but summertime, warm weather, sunshine, and care-free hours spent at the ballpark. The thought of not going to the ballpark and hibernating for the better part of six months makes me want to cry.

pmck003
09-27-2008, 01:55 AM
Another positive; if the Sox do make it to the playoffs, a major comeback plus a TCQ return would give major momentum.

TDog
09-27-2008, 02:24 AM
Our offense was there, just not our bullpen. Blew quite the opportunity tonight.

Blame the bullpen, but John Danks lost the game. He pitched one scoreless innings out of the five he started and couldn't get anyone out in the fourth. He had run support but couldn't hold the lead. He put the Sox in the hole by allowing runs and forcing the bullpen to pitch most of the game. The earlier the Sox have to go to the bullpen, especially a night after Bobby Jenks was extended, the bullpen is going to have a long night. Earlier in the year, Carrasco did the job against the Indians. Tonight he just made things worse.

In retrospect, it was obvious that had the bullpen not come in to fail, Danks would have failed. He was well on his way. People complained, using multiple strings of asterisks, about Vazquez against the Twins. Tonight Danks was worse against the Indians.

I expected the Sox to win tonight. Even after the grand slam, I expected the Sox to win. I was pretty sure the Twins would lose and posted that much hours before gametime.

Of course, the Twins and Sox are still even in the loss column. The Sox could still win this thing. I am reminded of the 1973 Mets that went to the World Series despite winning just 82 games. But the 1973 Mets had Willie Mays. Willie Mays wasn't making back-to-the-infield running catches against Vic Wertz in 1973, though. I remember him flipping the ball to another outfielder who could make a stronger throw into the infield. And the White Sox have Ken Griffey Jr.

Adele_H
09-27-2008, 03:15 AM
Blame the bullpen, but John Danks lost the game. .

You're right but as always there is a tendency to oversimplify things, TDog.

1. It's disappointing that for the 4 game in a row during pennant race crunch time, a White Sox starter can't do his job (which includes Buerhle's early inning baserunner-O'-rama in Minnesota that allowed the Twins to take control of the game.)

Yes, Danks was the game's biggest culprit, but FAR from the only guy "who lost the game". The sad part is that we can't really blame late-season fatigue or 4-man rotation no matter how much we want to: Danks had his good stuff, K'd a lot of batters early, got to 2 strikes on batters he didn't K... If anything, he was TOO amped up, which threw his mechanics off, and with that there went his control.

Throw into the mix that his underutilizing his legs has led to some floating change-ups... Cleveland hitters had nothing to lose, so they naturally came out swinging even with 2 strikes, something I don't think Danks fully was prepared for.

2. But, again, there were other culprits besides Danks:

a) AJ. Just awful pitcher-handling & defense tonight. Totally mailed it in. His lack of lightening-quick reflexes and unwilliness to block the plate cost the Sox 2 huge runs on relays to the plate where the ball actually beat the runner. Some of the pitch selection with 2 strikes on Tribe hitters was head-scratching, culminating in the pivotal at bats in the fateful 4th inning AB by Cabrera and Choo, who would have missed a decent change-up by a foot for strike 3 but instead got a fastball where they were looking for it.

b) Carrasco, Ramirez, Wasserman, MacDougal. As a major leaguer, you simply cannot do what they did, WHEN they did it - and still have respect yourself the next morning. Poor control, even poorer quality of pitches. Without a hint of exageration, I could have hit the hanging slider Carrasco served up to Garko for a grand slam.

c) Cabrera's defense. Cpt. Blame Dispenser blew a DP in the 2nd inning, costing a big run back when there was a chance that Danks could have a good outing... and then followed it up by botching another routine grounder, almost costing Danks another run (that was only averted because of Alexei's excellent barehand play on Sizemore.)

d) I don't know what the hell our clean-up hitter is thinking when he comes up to the plate these days, but with both Dye & Konerko having their best swings literally in weeks, Sox could ill-afford Thome's rally-killing guess-work at the plate. Same goes for Alexei, for that matter. Both Jimbo and Alexei are starting to lose sight of the little thing they call "opposite field" lately, with commeasurate decline in their BA to show for it.

Yes, if that Grand Slam by Garko ended up being just a measly foot shorter, Brian Anderson probably steals it Torri Hunter/Gary Mathews Jr-style..... Sox win the game, in the process getting that much closer to the elusive postseason/world series, with this game going down as one of the most memorable regular season moments in White Sox history.... But, to be perfectly blunt, the Sox as a team and we as Sox fans did NOT that kind of fairy-tale good fortune moment.

Nellie_Fox
09-27-2008, 03:32 AM
It's disappointing that for the 4 game in a row during pennant race crunch time, a White Sox starter can't do his job (which includes Buerhle's early inning baserunner-O'-rama in Minnesota that allowed the Twins to take control of the game.)Despite your belief that you know everything there is to know about baseball, Buehrle did his job just fine. I absolutely don't understand what point you have been trying to make about that game, other than "the starting pitcher must allow fewer runs than the other team, regardless of how many that is."

Adele_H
09-27-2008, 03:36 AM
. I absolutely don't understand what point you have been trying to make about that game, other than "the starting pitcher must allow fewer runs than the other team, regardless of how many that is."

I think I explained it to the best of my (limited) abilities in another thread.

If it's still not clear to you, then we'll agree to disagree. Nothing wrong with that.

BadBobbyJenks
09-27-2008, 03:49 AM

Get a clue, dude.

Danks had given up 3 hits and a walk with out getting an out in the 5th. He did not look sharp to begin with.

7 hits and a walk in 4 innings is that what gave you such confidence in him?

Ozzie would have been roasted had Danks been left in to let the Indians clear the bases.

Danks did not get the job done and the pen failed miserably as well.

What a ****ing waste, I was watching the Twins game side by side at Bdubs and Kyle Davies just looked nasty tonight.

That belt around the neck just got one notch tighter...

Frankfan4life
09-27-2008, 07:05 AM
I'm tired, exhausted and frustrated. I don't have any enthusiasm or joy anymore, just a feeling of impending doom. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/scared003.gif I feel like I'm trapped in a horror movie where the next day something more horrible than the last day happens. Yet, I can't give up, I'm still hoping that something good will happen. I must be insane.

MiamiSpartan
09-27-2008, 07:43 AM
Can't believe how uninspiring this team is playing, and they're in the middle of a playoff hunt, too....
unreal.

KyWhiSoxFan
09-27-2008, 07:49 AM
Can't believe how uninspiring this team is playing, and they're in the middle of a playoff hunt, too....
unreal.

This team does not deserve to be in the playoffs, it's as simple as that.

kitekrazy
09-27-2008, 08:27 AM

I agree but the Sox are not that good either. The Twins may be the better team.

Frankfan4life
09-27-2008, 09:04 AM
I agree but the Sox are not that good either. The Twins may be the better team.We shall see....

Brian26
09-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Too many bad arms in the pen. Just get by on Linebrink, Dotel, Thornton, Jenks, Carrasco, and Richard the rest of the season. Enough is enough.

Did you watch the game last night? Carrasco couldn't throw a strike to save his life and then gave up a meatball for a slam. He's done.

Brian26
09-27-2008, 09:19 AM
The crowd was into it, the Royals were up 6-0 and we were up 4-2. Everything was fine... until the White Sox showed up.

It's a shame that the Sox couldn't win this because the crowd was electric there last night for the first few innings, especially after they started posting the Royals scores every inning.

Brian26
09-27-2008, 09:21 AM
Agreed. We lost TCQ, but **** happens. The Twins lost Johan Santana.

Twins got Carlos Gomez for Santana. We got Jerry Owens to replace TCQ. :shrug:

GoGoCrede
09-27-2008, 09:29 AM
Gotta say, everyone in my section thought BA had caught that grand slam at first. That would've been the catch of the year.

southside rocks
09-27-2008, 09:39 AM
Gotta say, everyone in my section thought BA had caught that grand slam at first. That would've been the catch of the year.

I know, did you hear Farmer's call of it? They were replaying it on XM this morning. "Anderson leaps, did he get it? Show me the ball, Brian, just this once !! ... Gone. For a slam."

I was out in left field but even from there, it was apparent that BA made a hell of an effort.

I thought Ozzie was going to throw Carrasco over the fence.

GoGoCrede
09-27-2008, 09:41 AM
I know, did you hear Farmer's call of it? They were replaying it on XM this morning. "Anderson leaps, did he get it? Show me the ball, Brian, just this once !! ... Gone. For a slam."

I was out in left field but even from there, it was apparent that BA made a hell of an effort.

I thought Ozzie was going to throw Carrasco over the fence.

If Ozzie hadn't done it, the fans would have. Everyone was livid. And I think the Twins were down by 6 at that point.

kobo
09-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Despite your belief that you know everything there is to know about baseball, Buehrle did his job just fine. I absolutely don't understand what point you have been trying to make about that game, other than "the starting pitcher must allow fewer runs than the other team, regardless of how many that is."
Thank you. I've been wondering the same thing myself.

downstairs
09-27-2008, 09:52 AM
How bizarre. I did not expect a Sox loss and a MIN loss. The key is all the Sox need to do- at the very least- is match MIN. They did that. This was no different than a Sox win and a MIN win.

Magic number is 4. Can go as low as 2 on Sat.

Prediction: Sox and Min win Sat, Sox win Min loses on Sunday. DET game is necessary, but the best situation: win you're in, lose you still have the tiebreaker.

Brian26
09-27-2008, 09:56 AM

Since there weren't two outs at that point, I quickly knew BA didn't catch it since he sort of laid there on the warning track. Otherwise, three runners would have scored on a sac fly, which may have been a first-time-ever in baseball.

tstrike2000
09-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Go Sox!

TDog
09-27-2008, 11:50 AM
You're right but as always there is a tendency to oversimplify things, TDog. ...

I don't think I oversimplified anything. Danks had given up five runs without getting any outs in the fifth, and had a couple of runners on base. It was his worst start of the season, surpassing an April start against the Twins that left him with a season ERA of 8. Friday night he had some margin for error, unlike his start last Sunday when his lead was 1-0 much of the afternoon and 3-0 in the late innings. This was a start where just an average Danks game could have moved the Sox ahead of the Twins in the loss column.

Not only did he bleed runs Friday night (aside from that one scoreless inning after the Sox scored four), but it was like the Indians had hit an artery and the runs weren't just flowing out but spurting out of control. It was obvious he needed to come out, and he needed to come out so early that the Guillen had no choice but to go to relievers who have not been pitching well.

Ideally, Danks should give you six. Friday, the Sox needed seven strong innings from him. If you limit the bullpen to Thornton, Linebrink, Dotel and Jenks, your chances are good. Carrasco came into the game in a role he excelled at earlier in the season, but he couldn't throw strikes, not effective strikes anyway.

The Sox were going to score. The way they have pitched recently, Floyd and Vazquez, certainly Buehrle, would have had a chance with Friday night's offense. Even with the Sox down 9-4, I thought they had a chance to come back and win.

A manager has a much better idea than fans do about when to take pitchers out because he understands details that fans don't. He talks to the pitching coach who talks with the pitcher and often there is talk between innings. In the game thread, I posted that I thought bringing in the bullpen with none out and two on in the fifth would be counterproductive. I'm sure Guillen didn't want to make the move. But he had no choice.

All we can hope for is that Danks gets another chance to start and has a better feel for the game. If it comes Tuesday against the Twins (and I could see the Twins going with Liriano on short rest over Slowey), there not only will be no margin for error, but there will be no tomorrow. Only next spring.

ChiSoxGirl
09-27-2008, 12:43 PM
It's a shame that the Sox couldn't win this because the crowd was electric there last night for the first few innings, especially after they started posting the Royals scores every inning.

I said the same thing in my post and you're absolutely right. Given the circumstances and the way the team has played over the last week, I was really surprised at just how into it the crowd was!

GoGoCrede
09-27-2008, 12:46 PM
I said the same thing in my post and you're absolutely right. Given the circumstances and the way the team has played over the last week, I was really surprised at just how into it the crowd was!

Agreed. We were on our feet for practically every base hit. Every time KC scored there was cheering. Carrasco was booed off the field. When Wise got that RBI in the 8th or 9th? Forget it, crowd was nuts. I really thought the players were going to be able to feed off it and win. They couldn't have asked for a more enthusiastic crowd of 35,000+.

ChiSoxGirl
09-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Agreed. We were on our feet for practically every base hit. Every time KC scored there was cheering. Carrasco was booed off the field. When Wise got that RBI in the 8th or 9th? Forget it, crowd was nuts. I really thought the players were going to be able to feed off it and win. They couldn't have asked for a more enthusiastic crowd of 35,000+.

I agree with everything you said. I was at the game last night and even in Section 130, where sometimes you find people who are just there for the sake of being there and aren't as into the game as people in other sections of the park are, the crowd was electric. When practically everyone stood up and cheered the out-of-town scoreboard when KC went up 3-0, that was really something. And not to go all 2005 on everyone, but it honestly reminded me of the last game of the regular season when we looked over at that out-of-town scoreboard and saw KC beat CLE 5-4; the crowd went nuts in the middle of an inning that didn't require any cheering! I commented to the guy behind me that maybe the Royals would be helping us out again like they did three years ago. He said, "Yeah, but we have to do *our* part, too." No sooner did he say that and we lost the lead, never to regain it.

Droso5
09-27-2008, 01:19 PM
This is a mediocre baseball team that is now a bad baseball team. No bullpen, no hitting and the pitching has gone down the tubes. It seems that they have already packed it in and are waiting for this agonizing season to mercifully end.

I hope they make it to the playoffs, but it will suck watching them get completely murdered by whichever team they happen to play...but at this point they are probably gonna watch the post-season from the Dirty Cat Salon.

JB98
09-27-2008, 03:09 PM
I'm tired, exhausted and frustrated. I don't have any enthusiasm or joy anymore, just a feeling of impending doom. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/scared003.gif I feel like I'm trapped in a horror movie where the next day something more horrible than the last day happens. Yet, I can't give up, I'm still hoping that something good will happen. I must be insane.

Yeah, I haven't been sleeping well because of the stress from the pennant race, and I'm trying to get myself energized for the game tonight. It feels like we are on an express elevator straight to hell right now. Usually, I'm excited for each and every trip I make to the Cell, and I feel blessed to have the resources to go to as many games as I do.

But today, I'm trying to shake that "Here we go again" feeling before I go to the park. The team needs our cheers more than ever now. As fans, we've gotta get into the game tonight, and we've gotta stick with them even if we fall behind early, no matter how frustrating it is. By the time the game starts, we'll probably already know the Twins' final score.

We have to dig deep and support our team now.

Ranger
09-27-2008, 03:57 PM

Get a clue, dude.

You are aware that Danks allowed the first four guys to reach base in the inning and was either wild in the zone or getting drilled, aren't you?

Trust me, if Ozzie leaves Danks in any longer, he's getting torn apart by everyone in this forum. This isn't a game in June.

Noneck
09-27-2008, 04:03 PM
You are aware that Danks allowed the first four guys to reach base in the inning and was either wild in the zone or getting drilled, aren't you?

Trust me, if Ozzie leaves Danks in any longer, he's getting torn apart by everyone in this forum. This isn't a game in June.

I agree, Danks was done. Too bad there wasn't a better choice than a career crap slinging minor leaguer to be brought in. It would have been a nice spot for Chad Bradford.

BigP50
09-27-2008, 04:19 PM
really good to see Dye step up last night and get that home run

Thome needs to start swinging

Jerome
09-27-2008, 04:24 PM
It would be great for them to make the playoffs this year but when I think of what this team has done this year against the Angels, Red Sox and Rays, I can never really get too optimistic.

canOcorn
09-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Trust me, if Ozzie leaves Danks in any longer, he's getting torn apart by everyone in this forum.

Absolutely. And he should've been ripped if he left him in the game.

This isn't a game in June.

Why was Wise starting the three previous games?

Adele_H
09-27-2008, 05:01 PM
I agree, Danks was done. Too bad there wasn't a better choice than a career crap slinging minor leaguer to be brought in. It would have been a nice spot for Chad Bradford.

Yes.

Bradford in the 4th.
MacDougal - 5/6
Linebrink - 7
Dotel - 8
Jenks - 9 (save).