PDA

View Full Version : Hawk and DJ'S travel

eastchicagosoxfan
09-26-2008, 10:59 PM
I gather that Hawk and DJ travel with the team. Is that the norm in MLB? Do the announcers travel with the team? It seems at times that the team feeds off of his negative energy. For example, does his grousing about the strike zone carry over to the team?

KingXerxes
09-26-2008, 11:13 PM
I gather that Hawk and DJ travel with the team. Is that the norm in MLB? Do the announcers travel with the team? It seems at times that the team feeds off of his negative energy. For example, does his grousing about the strike zone carry over to the team?

:hawk

"Mercy."

LoveYourSuit
09-26-2008, 11:50 PM

I think Hawk's only friend on the team is AJ, and that might be because AJ wants to pick up a ride home from the Orlando Airport in a few days.

EuroSox35
09-27-2008, 12:19 AM
When the whole ordeal with Stone and Dusty Baker/players broke out a few years ago, one of the rumored events was a hostile confrontation on the team plane.

I don't think they always travel with the team though

DSpivack
09-27-2008, 12:44 AM
They're team employees, so why not?

Lip Man 1
09-27-2008, 12:55 AM
They usually do but not always. Jim Kaat, in his WSI interview said that it was in his contract that in order to retain his objectivity while working for the Yankees and Twins that he flew separately and also stayed in a different hotel from the team and players.

Lip

cbrownson13
09-27-2008, 10:51 AM
They usually do but not always. Jim Kaat, in his WSI interview said that it was in his contract that in order to retain his objectivity while working for the Yankees and Twins that he flew separately and also stayed in a different hotel from the team and players.

Lip

Well, I guess that means they travel with the team cause there sure as hell isn't any objectivity in that booth.

thomas35forever
09-27-2008, 01:59 PM
Haha, when I saw this thread title, I thought it was maybe talking about a new TV series where Hawk and DJ travel the country together. I would totally watch that show. Who else would?:cool:

GoGoCrede
09-27-2008, 02:11 PM
I think Hawk's only friend on the team is AJ, and that might be because AJ wants to pick up a ride home from the Orlando Airport in a few days.

I've always thought AJ was his favorite; in that "Believe It!" book, wasn't Hawk one of his main supporters when he was trying to get on the team?

jabrch
09-27-2008, 02:18 PM

Blame the announcers... I love this game.

kba
09-27-2008, 02:35 PM

With Hawk and DJ calling almost every Sox game, it would be pretty difficult for them to travel separately from the team. The team has a charter that takes them non-stop to their destination at whatever hour they need to go. To get there separately, you'd have to try to find a commercial flight at a similar hour. Between some cities, like Tampa and Kansas City, there are no commercial non-stop flights, so your trip would take much longer. And if you're delayed by an extra inning game or a rain delay in the last game of a series, you could miss your commercial flight to the next city.

BleacherBandit
09-27-2008, 05:37 PM
Haha, when I saw this thread title, I thought it was maybe talking about a new TV series where Hawk and DJ travel the country together. I would totally watch that show. Who else would?:cool:

Meh, seems like Hawk and DJ just sit in their hotel rooms and talk baseball and golf for hours and hours. Then they announce, and that's it. At least that's what I gather. Maybe Hawk goes sightseeing in his 'great pacific northwest' because he loves it so damn much.

BigP50
09-27-2008, 05:58 PM
yes I think most announcers for most sports travel with the team

PaleHoseGeorge
09-28-2008, 11:27 AM
Blame the announcers... I love this game.

Javier Vazquez could do worse than completely disagree with Hawk Harrelson's assessment of the homeplate umpire's strike zone.

Hawk isn't calling the balls and strikes and neither is Javy.

soxfanreggie
09-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Our radio/tv guys travel with the team. It's pretty standard. They are supposed to be objective, but you know who their customer base is.