PDA

View Full Version : Sox Continue to stick it to the Fans, No Autographs Sunday

Domeshot17
09-26-2008, 07:41 PM
So apparently Sunday's fan appreciation game is now fan appreciation in name only. No Autographs from the players. Buddy of mine called the Sox to confirm this and they said Ozzie does not want the fans riding the players too hard.

NoNeckEra
09-26-2008, 07:51 PM
So apparently Sunday's fan appreciation game is now fan appreciation in name only. No Autographs from the players. Buddy of mine called the Sox to confirm this and they said Ozzie does not want the fans riding the players too hard.
Regarding your headline, please explain your use of the word "continue".

Domeshot17
09-26-2008, 08:00 PM
It has been a bad month for the Sox and Fans. A lot of people were really pissed over the way half way to st patricks day was handled. Get everybody in the park, get um drinkin the green beer, sing the national anthem and cancel the game 20 minutes later? Entirely about trying to make a few bucks. Then the holy confusion over the rain out weekend doubleheaders (which wasn't really their fault with the weather just the way it was handled). To ice it all is the just the resentment most fans are feeling over the 'wonderful' series we just have. It's been a painful few weeks to be a Sox fan.

BleacherBandit
09-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Regarding your headline, please explain your use of the word "continue".

Can we analyize this news without having to nitpick every conotation of what somebody may or may not have said? This board kind of exhausts me sometimes. :mad:

Responding to the canceling of the autographs, I agree. There should be no more stress on the players than there already is. They need to win every game.

Domeshot17
09-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Can we analyize this news without having to nitpick every conotation of what somebody may or may not have said? This board kind of exhausts me sometimes. :mad:

Responding to the canceling of the autographs, I agree. There should be no more stress on the players than there already is. They need to win every game.

It is a little premature. For all we know the season could be over by sunday. The Twins magic number is now what, 4?

Konerko05
09-26-2008, 08:08 PM
It has been a bad month for the Sox and Fans. A lot of people were really pissed over the way half way to st patricks day was handled. Get everybody in the park, get um drinkin the green beer, sing the national anthem and cancel the game 20 minutes later? Entirely about trying to make a few bucks. Then the holy confusion over the rain out weekend doubleheaders (which wasn't really their fault with the weather just the way it was handled). To ice it all is the just the resentment most fans are feeling over the 'wonderful' series we just have. It's been a painful few weeks to be a Sox fan.

The White Sox didn't postpone the games, the umpire did. I really doubt the Sox had the umpires in on their plan "to make a few bucks."

It's Dankerific
09-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Re: those games. Then give me my money back if you're not going to play the games. That was pretty much "sticking it to the Fans"

its ok for single ticket holders, they can go exchange for next year. I'm forced to give a game away because I (and/or other season ticket holders) can't be in two places at the same time.

Daver
09-26-2008, 08:13 PM

So if you disagree with an opinion, keep your mouth shut, because debate bothers you?

Novel concept.

champagne030
09-26-2008, 08:20 PM
The White Sox didn't postpone the games, the umpire did. I really doubt the Sox had the umpires in on their plan "to make a few bucks."

The Sox had the call to cancel or play until the lineup cards were handed to the umpire (maybe 'til first pitch, I'm not sure anymore). Regardless, once it became the decision of the umps, it was ovah. Looks like a cash grab, sound like a cash grab, it was a cash grab.

TommyJohn
09-26-2008, 09:01 PM

Gee, why would they do that?

BigP50
09-26-2008, 09:02 PM
what a bad excuse

dllrbll7
09-26-2008, 09:10 PM
If sunday has any remote possibility of meaning anything, i want the players focused on the game and ONLY the game. If that means cancelling autographs so be it.

jabrch
09-26-2008, 09:15 PM
I want the players playing. Kissing babies can be saved for the parade.

Noneck
09-26-2008, 09:18 PM
It would be neat for the players to sign autographs after the game and a clinch.

JB98
09-26-2008, 09:19 PM
If sunday has any remote possibility of meaning anything, i want the players focused on the game and ONLY the game. If that means cancelling autographs so be it.

Agree completely. There will be plenty of time to get autographs at SoxFest.

LoveYourSuit
09-26-2008, 09:20 PM
what a bad excuse

I agree.

I would have a PR person come out and explain that because of the nature of the pennant race and the significance of these last 3 games, the White Sox players cannot participate at these pre-game events. They need their focus or whatever.

BigP50
09-26-2008, 10:41 PM
I don't believe that crap.

are players won't be as focused cause they signed there name on Sox apparell.

that makes sense :mad:

EuroSox35
09-26-2008, 10:46 PM
what a bad excuse

I find it hard to believe the Sox would give that excuse

Who cares, change of plans, turns out the last game of the year means something, I'd rather the players have a clear head then have to go out and do meaningless small talk and mingling before what could be the biggest game of the season. More important things to worry about this year...

LoveYourSuit
09-26-2008, 10:57 PM
I don't believe that crap.

are players won't be as focused cause they signed there name on Sox apparell.

that makes sense :mad:

It's a better excuse than what Ozzie came up with.

I am not looking for facts but at least make an excuse that would not make you look or sound stupid.

ChiSoxFan81
09-27-2008, 12:23 AM
Do they usually do autographs on the last day? I went 2 years ago and they just raffled off autographed balls based on your seat location. They do have at least a few pregame auto sessions throughout the year. I went to one of those this year.

anewman35
09-27-2008, 12:38 AM

Aren't autographs usually a Kid's Day thing? Anyway, if the Sox hate you so much, stop supporting them. Simple.

WhiteSox5187
09-27-2008, 12:44 AM
I have absolutely no problem with this, the Sox might be playing for their season on Sunday (or they might be getting ready to clinch!), I don't want any distractions. As someone else said, there'll be time for autographs at the parade.

Lip Man 1
09-27-2008, 12:58 AM
The official rule is this, until the first pitch is thrown the decision to call a game is up to the home team. After the first pitch it's in the hands of the umpires EXCEPT when a team is making their last visit into a city, then the umpires have the sole power to play or not play a game. That Tigers series was their last trip into Chicago.

The home team has nothing to say about it.

Lip

BleacherBandit
09-27-2008, 01:04 AM
So if you disagree with an opinion, keep your mouth shut, because debate bothers you?

Novel concept.

There's a difference between debate and nitpicking individual things. I openly welcome a good 'debate', but I don't like people going out of their way to argue about frivilous things. That happens on all forums.

Getting corrected for grammar, being asked if a passing comment was meant to be comprehended in the complete opposite way, being argued with because I can't remember if Vin Scully is really Vince Scully....Things like that. Again, these things happen on all forums, so I'm not singling anybody out. However, when bad things arise, like our Sox's situation right now, it doesn't surprise me that there is an influx in this kind of banter.

Daver
09-27-2008, 01:21 AM
There's a difference between debate and nitpicking individual things. I openly welcome a good 'debate', but I don't like people going out of their way to argue about frivilous things.

So you are the arbiter of all things frivilous?

So any comment made to draw an explanation of the original posters intent should be deemed frivilous?

BleacherBandit
09-27-2008, 01:24 AM
So you are the arbiter of all things frivilous?

So any comment made to draw an explanation of the original posters intent should be deemed frivilous?

Not really, but the topic was discussing how this Sunday's pulling of the autographs will be sticking it to the fans. Whoever posted afterwards was accusing/asking if he meant to say that the Sox 'stick it' to the fans frequently, which isn't what the topic was about.

Daver
09-27-2008, 01:33 AM
Not really, but the topic was discussing how this Sunday's pulling of the autographs will be sticking it to the fans. Whoever posted afterwards was accusing/asking if he meant to say that the Sox 'stick it' to the fans frequently, which isn't what the topic was about.

Now you want to be the topic judge?

BleacherBandit
09-27-2008, 01:36 AM
Now you want to be the topic judge?
Yeah, sure. Where do I sign up? :D:

CHISOXFAN13
09-27-2008, 01:48 AM

You do realize that on a team's last trip in, postponing a game is at the discretion of the umpires?

Domeshot17
09-27-2008, 01:56 AM
You do realize that on a team's last trip in, postponing a game is at the discretion of the umpires?

From everything I have went to understand, The White Sox have the call to postpone the game until its time to play ball, from there it goes into the umpires hands.

Is there any other reasonable explanation for opening the gates, singing the national anthem and IMMEDIATELY putting the game in a rain delay and calling it 20 minutes later. If this was really the umps entirely botching it then its not on the Sox, but the way it was handled was pretty crappy being there. people paid to park, the gates were open for almost 2 hours of vending, it had turn a quick buck while you can written all over it.

BainesHOF
09-27-2008, 02:37 AM
I can certainly understand not having the players sign autographs before Sunday's important game.

I could also understand having them do so. They only do it for a half hour. What's the big deal? A change of pace might actually do the team good in some small way. There's no real reason why the players who aren't starting and the coaches can't sign for a half hour.

There's been some players making cash on the side by making autograph appearances on their own in September, including one appearing in the south suburbs before Saturday's game. Then you have a couple players appearing on the radio early in the morning for a paid gig throughout the season. I figure if the players can do that, they can sign for a half hour before Sunday's game.

NSFWSoxFan
09-27-2008, 03:00 AM
Well said, Baines. I agree with everything except your first sentence. :D:

And Domeshot, of course your title expressed the frustration of a lot of us here. But perhaps it might have gone over better if you'd said something like, "Sox continue to humiliate themselves in front of their fans; don't have the stones to face them close up on Sunday."

btrain929
09-27-2008, 03:19 AM

The three games in MIN sure as hell meant something, and they went 0-3. How bout a change of pace and meet some of your die hard fans before a big game to pump you up?

Might as well change the name of the last game of the year to: "Fan Appreciation Day............(unless the game means something, then it's just Sunday Afternoon White Sox baseball)"

That'll sell tickets.

Frankfan4life
09-27-2008, 09:12 AM
So apparently Sunday's fan appreciation game is now fan appreciation in name only. No Autographs from the players. Buddy of mine called the Sox to confirm this and they said Ozzie does not want the fans riding the players too hard.Well, we can always draw "devil horns" on players on the poster (that is if we're going to get posters again).

anewman35
09-27-2008, 10:53 AM
I still want to see some evidence that they "canceled" autographs. Did they ever say there would be autographs? Have past "Fan Appreciation Days" had autographs? The Sox website says "
Fan Appreciation Day
Fans will be chosen at random to win special prizes.
Presented by U.S. Cellular " which, in my mind, is that Fan Appreciation Day has always been. Is that wrong?

JUribe1989
09-27-2008, 10:59 AM
Those idiots are losing because the fans are riding them too hard? They're losing because they can't bunt, they are inconsistent hitters, they are spineless, they don't have a 4th or 5th starter, and most of all because they have the worst strategic manager in baseball now that Ned Yost is fired.

Give me a break. Shame on you Ozzie.

WHILEPITCH
09-27-2008, 11:08 AM
no need for autographs right now, need w's

i can write WHILEPITCH on some paper if anyone wants it

SoxandtheCityTee
09-27-2008, 11:11 AM
From everything I have went to understand, The White Sox have the call to postpone the game until its time to play ball, from there it goes into the umpires hands.

Is there any other reasonable explanation . . . . .

Yes, yes, as a matter of fact there is! But no matter how many times you are informed that this is not the rule when a visiting team is making its last trip into a city --- no matter how many times it is posted here that the rule is different in that situation and it is the umpires' call, not the home team's, for the love of GOD -- you just intend to keep saying this over and over. So, OK then.

Brian26
09-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Not a surprise at all. I called this earlier this week privately. If the last game has any sort of meaning to it, there shouldn't be a team-wide autograph session before it.

jabrch
09-27-2008, 12:23 PM
Aren't autographs usually a Kid's Day thing? Anyway, if the Sox hate you so much, stop supporting them. Simple.

No kidding...for all the terrible things and terrible people involved with this organization - I'm shocked anyone gives a damn. Either that, or people bitch too much.

I know everyone is disappointed - but get over yourselves. The team is not any different today than it has been all season - pretty good, but not great. It's a contender, right down to the wire. And if things break well, we will make it. If they don't, we won't. It's really not that difficult. The Sox behaviour has always been consistent. For all the pissing and moaning about the Sox hating their fans, this is the same franchise that goes out of its way to be fan friendly. So if you really think they are continuing to stick it to the fans, and this is a long standing practice of theirs, show em. Stop being message board tough guys and show em.

Don't buy tickets.

Don't watch them on TV.

Don't listen on the radio.

Don't call into sports talk shows.

The reality is that people are just disappointed about the last few days. If the next few days go well, the bitching will be temporarily suspended until the next thing happens to bitch about. That's the nature of Sox fans. Save a few brief days in October and November of 2005, Sox fans will always bitch. Its their g-d given right - by by cracky they will do it. And nobody can take that away from them.

What's funny is the variety of things people bitch about. That's the good party - the smorgasbord of things that Sox fans will bitch about.

After the season ends (hopefully in late October) I'd love to see a thread of all the things Sox fans bitch about. That would be entertaining once we don't have baseball to watch.

UofCSoxFan
09-27-2008, 12:24 PM
The Sox had the call to cancel or play until the lineup cards were handed to the umpire (maybe 'til first pitch, I'm not sure anymore). Regardless, once it became the decision of the umps, it was ovah. Looks like a cash grab, sound like a cash grab, it was a cash grab.

This is simply wrong. When a team is in town for the last series of the year, the descision lies completely with the umpires. Why do you think Ozzie was visably pissed the game wasn't being started?

Not everything's a damn conspiracy to screw the fan. The Sox wanted to do everything possible to play the game so they wouldn't have to play 2 games after the season had ended (would have been worse if Sunday got rained out).

And frankly, the Sox can show their appreciatin by winning on Sunday. I don't want them out there frollicking with fans 30 minutes before a game that likely will help decide our playoff fate.

alohafri
09-27-2008, 12:30 PM
I don't recall there EVER being autograph session on Fan Appreciation Day.

BainesHOF
09-27-2008, 12:30 PM
If you think about it, and believe the players shouldn't sign autographs because they need to fully concentrate on Sunday's game, then why do they sign autographs before any game?

anewman35
09-27-2008, 12:47 PM
If you think about it, and believe the players shouldn't sign autographs because they need to fully concentrate on Sunday's game, then why do they sign autographs before any game?

Let me ask this: IF autographs were canceled (and, again, I see no evidence of that), how likely is it that some customer service person on the phone got the scoop from Ozzie as to the reason? If Ozzie really had decided that, don't you think it would have made the newspapers?

BainesHOF
09-27-2008, 04:30 PM
Does anyone actually know for sure whether there's going to be autographs?

tstrike2000
09-27-2008, 04:35 PM

I bet some fans want to say, "Ozzie, **** you!"

ChiSoxGirl
09-27-2008, 05:05 PM
I bet some fans want to say, "Ozzie, **** you!"

Me thinks it's not just Ozzie some fans would want to say that to!

DoItForDanPasqua
09-27-2008, 05:21 PM

Right, if they want to do something for the fans, they can win the division and then get another trophy.

Ragator43
09-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Does anyone actually know for sure whether there's going to be autographs?

Just called and was told that the autograph session has been scrapped. Reason being, Ozzie wants them to "concentrate" and "focus" on the task at hand. (Her words, not mine)

Domeshot17
09-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Yes, yes, as a matter of fact there is! But no matter how many times you are informed that this is not the rule when a visiting team is making its last trip into a city --- no matter how many times it is posted here that the rule is different in that situation and it is the umpires' call, not the home team's, for the love of GOD -- you just intend to keep saying this over and over. So, OK then.

I guess my post was taken the wrong way. I was saying that until this thread I did not know the umpires had sole control. 100% my ignorance, and it is on the Umps (who probably had pressure from MLB to try and this in to avoid scheduling problems). The 2nd post that you qouted wasn't me trying to battle but explain my original position which admittedly I was ignorant too.

asindc
09-27-2008, 06:08 PM

BB,

The original could have said "The Sox stick it to the fans," which is significantly different than what he actually said. It was a legitimate question to ask, since many people reading the title will wonder in what other instances does the poster think the Sox stuck it to the fans. That's all.

BainesHOF
09-27-2008, 06:10 PM
Just called and was told that the autograph session has been scrapped. Reason being, Ozzie wants them to "concentrate" and "focus" on the task at hand. (Her words, not mine)

That's too bad. I was going to pass some pocket abaci to Ozzie so his players can keep track of the number of outs when they're in the field.

My hope is the players can use the time where they'd be normally signing autographs to hold a team meeting and remind each other the importance of keeping track of the numbers of outs.

Meanwhile, I'll sit in my seat and wonder what exactly Fan Appreciation Day means.

asindc
09-27-2008, 06:10 PM

I agree with Ozzie on this.

Ranger
09-27-2008, 06:48 PM

No they didn't. On the last team visit to a city late in the season, the umpires have complete control along with MLB. The White Sox cannot make the decision.

TheCommander
09-28-2008, 12:39 PM
I don't recall there EVER being autograph session on Fan Appreciation Day.

I am not sure about other seasons,but last year they most certainly did.