PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Column

Lip Man 1
09-26-2008, 04:45 PM
Hank Steinbrenner has a column this week in The Sporting News where he says it's time MLB abandon the three division / wild card system and go back to two leagues.

Says the leagues should allow the top four teams to go to the post season.

Says if the Dodgers were say in the A.L. East they wouldn't be going anyplace. Says the Dodgers might make the playoffs but that doesn't make then a better team then the Yankees if N.Y. had more wins in a tougher league.

Said the Cardinals winning the 06 World Series with 83 wins was "ridiculous."

Said they play 162 games to determine the best teams but why even bother playing that amount if an 83 win team can get in, get hot at the right time and win it.

Says a wild card team that has a better record then a divisional winner should not be penalized as some are talking about doing, said they should be rewarded with home field advantage.

Discuss.

Lip

palehozenychicty
09-26-2008, 04:55 PM
His thinking is unsound, but this is just another rendition of Hank whining because his team is a bloated, dull collection of former All-Stars. For all of that, he only went to a handful of games this season.

The fact that they didn't commemorate Torre last weekend is disgraceful.

ozzman
09-26-2008, 05:22 PM
the cards winning was about as ridiculous as the 2000 yankees winning it right? after all, the 90 win indians didn't make the playoffs over the 87 win yankees.

thedudeabides
09-26-2008, 05:27 PM
This sounds like a lot of sour grapes towards a Mr. Joe Torre run Dodger team who doesn't even happen to be in the same league. :whiner:

PatK
09-26-2008, 05:27 PM
I actually agree with him.

Go back to the old alignments as close as you can.

Lefty34
09-26-2008, 05:48 PM
I actually agree with him.

Go back to the old alignments as close as you can.

Right, and after that MLB can institute a rule outlawing sliders and splitters, because those weren't really prominent when baseball was actual baseball, with two leagues.

After that next in line could be a station to station beer-chugging rule, to get closer to the athleticism of the time?

And hey, why not just institute a rule where bats under 40 oz are not allowed? That would get us right back into that time period.

Get real, Hank is just throwing a hissy fit because he is trying to fill his daddy's shoes. There is no doubt in my mind Hank is exactly like his dad was portrayed in The Bronx is Burning. IMO, the current system allows the talent from all the baseball markets the potential to be portrayed on the national stage, which I think is a good thing.

Eddo144
09-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Hank Steinbrenner is just pissed that Torre is making the postseason this year, while the Yankees are not. Other posters have already pointed out that the Yankees won at least one World Series in the last decade when they were far from the best team during the regular season (2000, I believe they had the fifth best record in the American League, and ninth overall).

Fire Jay Mariotti (the founders are Sox fans, imagine that) has a really good take (http://firejaymariotti.blogspot.com/2008/09/speaking-of-yankees-would-someone.html) on Steinbrenner's hissy fit.

southside rocks
09-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Fire Jay Mariotti (the founders are Sox fans, imagine that) has a really good take (http://firejaymariotti.blogspot.com/2008/09/speaking-of-yankees-would-someone.html) on Steinbrenner's hissy fit.

That was good. Thanks for the link.

Boondock Saint
09-27-2008, 09:50 AM
:whiner:

Loser.

edit: just read that firemariotti article, and I've gotta say, that sums it up better than I could. I especially loved the part about "It's not fair."

And just to reiterate:

:whiner:

Loser.