PDA

View Full Version : 1 pm game on Monday

ramblermgr9599
09-26-2008, 12:28 PM
I heard that from someone that works at the park that Monday's game if necessary will be at 1 pm

(well probably 1:05)

btrain929
09-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Well that would be ****ing dumb and extremely inconvenient.

SaltyPretzel
09-26-2008, 12:55 PM
Hope it's on WGN at least so I could watch it from work. :mad:

illini81887
09-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Game would be on TBS, they have all broadcast rights after Sunday

TDog
09-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Well that would be ****ing dumb and extremely inconvenient.

It was to be expected. I posted in an earlier thread that it was sure to be scheduled as a day game. I don't know why anyone would consider it dumb and inconvenient. A playoff against the Twins likely would be an afternoon game as well.

btrain929
09-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Why is it expected? What's the difference between 2 afternoon games and 2 night games?

SoxFan78
09-26-2008, 01:00 PM
Game would be on TBS, they have all broadcast rights after Sunday

White Sox website has the game on CSN with a TBD for game time.

sox1970
09-26-2008, 01:01 PM
TBS may only have rights to games after 162. The Detroit game may not be included, but I don't know for sure.

Mohoney
09-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Why is it expected? What's the difference between 2 afternoon games and 2 night games?

As for the Monday makeup game, the result would need to be determined early enough for Minnesota to make travel arrangements for the Tuesday game, if it's necessary.

As for the Tuesday game being a day game, it would give Boston or Tampa, whoever is the wild card, a head start on their travel as well.

TDog
09-26-2008, 01:04 PM

The weather, for one thing. You are more likely to get better weather in a late September/early October day game than you are by starting the game at night. If bad weather does spring up, you have more time to get the game in.

ChiSoxFan81
09-26-2008, 01:07 PM
A day game for #162 would make sense, considering the impact it has on the Twins. This game should not be on TBS. However, if the play-in game is necessary, I would imagine it would be a night game. TBS would want it in prime time, and last year's Rockies-Padres game was a night game.

munchman33
09-26-2008, 01:07 PM
Well, that makes it official. I can't go.

*** is the Sox's problem. If you're going to plan a makeup day on a Monday afternoon, Friday is not soon enough for people to call of work.

ChiSoxFan81
09-26-2008, 01:10 PM

*** is the Sox's problem. If you're going to plan a makeup day on a Monday afternoon, Friday is not soon enough for people to call of work.

You will also be pleased to know that the tickets for sale for the Monday game are being treated as a "Prime" game, aka higher prices. Of course, the folks with tickets from the rainout aren't affected, but anyone else who wants to go is. I don't see how a 1:05 Monday game with "Prime" pricing is going to be anywhere near a sellout. That'll motivate the players.

LoveYourSuit
09-26-2008, 01:11 PM
Any mention on re-sale of tickets?

They better open those gates on the cheap if they plan to get any last minute walk up crowd on a work day. The team needs a huge crowd of support IMO if they plan to get anywhere.

kevingrt

I do not think it is really 100% the Sox call. I bet the MLB and Detroit have some say in it with traveling, a potential play-in game with Minnesota on Tuesday, and what not.

Jaffar

I'm going to have to agree, I can't see the place being a packed house. I will most likely have 8 tickets available in 530 if it is a 1pm start but you'll have to drive to Geneva/Aurora area to pick them up.

ChiSoxFan81
09-26-2008, 01:12 PM
Any mention on re-sale of tickets?

They better open those gates on the cheap if they plan to get any last minute walk up crowd on a work day. The team needs a huge crowd of support IMO if they plan to get anywhere.

Nope. See my above post.

Gammons Peter
09-26-2008, 01:13 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about a Monday game. Does anyone really think that this team can win three straight games? :gulp:

Mohoney
09-26-2008, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about a Monday game. Does anyone really think that this team can win three straight games? :gulp:

No, but I think they will win two, and the Twins will win two, and the Monday game will be necessary.

manders_01
09-26-2008, 01:15 PM
A day game for #162 would make sense, considering the impact it has on the Twins. This game should not be on TBS. However, if the play-in game is necessary, I would imagine it would be a night game. TBS would want it in prime time, and last year's Rockies-Padres game was a night game.

It started at 5:30 local time, a bit of an early night game.

sox1970
09-26-2008, 01:15 PM

Royals will win Saturday. If the Sox win tonight, I really think this is going to Tuesday.

Gammons Peter
09-26-2008, 01:21 PM
I am so disgusted that I almost don't want to see them get to the playoffs. Why, so we get swept? We can't hit, run, field. We have no bullpen. The playoffs would just be an embarrassment. That said...
GO SOX

ChiSoxFan81
09-26-2008, 01:24 PM
I am so disgusted that I almost don't want to see them get to the playoffs. Why, so we get swept? We can't hit, run, field. We have no bullpen. The playoffs would just be an embarrassment. That said...
GO SOX

Come on, you know anything can happen in the playoffs. 2006 Cardinals. That is all you need to know. Not likely, but possible. But even if they do get swept in the ALDS, so what? Just because we won 1 WS, the playoffs mean nothing now? Playoff years still don't come around very often here in Chicago. Besides, do you really want to see the Twins in the playoffs instead?

Gammons Peter
09-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Come on, you know anything can happen in the playoffs. 2006 Cardinals. That is all you need to know. Not likely, but possible. But even if they do get swept in the ALDS, so what? Just because we won 1 WS, the playoffs mean nothing now? Playoff years still don't come around very often here in Chicago. Besides, do you really want to see the Twins in the playoffs instead?

I know, I'm just sick over last night. I'll get over it with a win tonight

oeo
09-26-2008, 01:29 PM
It was to be expected. I posted in an earlier thread that it was sure to be scheduled as a day game. I don't know why anyone would consider it dumb and inconvenient. A playoff against the Twins likely would be an afternoon game as well.

It's Monday, people have uh, **** to do.

ChiSoxFan81
09-26-2008, 01:31 PM
I know, I'm just sick over last night. I'll get over it with a win tonight

I feel your pain. I've been sick over this for 2 days. But we ain't done yet.

GO SOX!!!

Cat Thief
09-26-2008, 01:33 PM

Do you work?

Iwritecode
09-26-2008, 01:41 PM
It started at 5:30 local time, a bit of an early night game.

That's 6:30 here and 7:30 on the east coast.

EuroSox35
09-26-2008, 01:52 PM
This would be idiotic, hmmm, most important game of the year (which IIRC was sold out for that St Patrick's promotion right?) in front of packed house vs a half full stadium...

This game is days away, whether its the Sox or MLB, get on the ****ing ball, release a time, if there are tickets available put them for sale, etc...

Sad
09-26-2008, 01:57 PM
I heard that from someone that works at the park that Monday's game if necessary will be at 1 pm

(well probably 1:05)

really a no-brainer and no different than play-in games in past years...
and a good time for me if I decide to go...

ChiSoxFan81
09-26-2008, 01:59 PM
really a no-brainer and no different than play-in games in past years...
and a good time for me if I decide to go...

Except that it's not a play-in. It's game 162.

Lip Man 1
09-26-2008, 02:02 PM
It's my understanding TBS has all broadcast rights for games after Sunday.

Let's hope at least this becomes a realistic possibility.

Lip

Sad
09-26-2008, 02:03 PM
Except that it's not a play-in. It's game 162.

yeah I guess you are right about that...

but think about it-
a game Monday
another possible game Tuesday involving travel arrangements
then the playoffs for one of them (ie more travel)

?

I would have been surprised if it was a night game

SOXBOY
09-26-2008, 02:06 PM
If theres any chance to play monday tonite will tell. Do the Sox come out flat or do they come out swinging? I really think the Sox will come out swinging.

FielderJones
09-26-2008, 02:14 PM
I sure hope they put up an official release (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/index.jsp?c_id=cws) soon so I don't have to go by rumors from someone who knows someone who heard Kenny on a cell phone.

manders_01
09-26-2008, 02:15 PM
That's 6:30 here and 7:30 on the east coast.

Yes, and weekday games out here typically start at 7. That's an hour and a half earlier. If the MLB / TBS stuck to the same time for the play-in game, it'd only be a half an hour earlier for Chicago.

chisoxfanatic
09-26-2008, 02:21 PM
Does anyone know when they'd be selling these tickets? Would the box office be open after Sunday's game?

FielderJones
09-26-2008, 02:33 PM
Does anyone know when they'd be selling these tickets? Would the box office be open after Sunday's game?

I will probably have a couple available in WSI ticket exchange. My fair-weather Sox fan friends have been turning me down.

Tekijawa
09-26-2008, 02:35 PM
I have tickets to that game. The disappointment continues! 1:05 on a Monday?????

chisoxfanatic
09-26-2008, 02:35 PM
I will probably have a couple available in WSI ticket exchange. My fair-weather Sox fan friends have been turning me down.
I don't think I'd be using them; but, thanks. I'd be trading in my 9/12 game ticket for this one.

CHISOXFAN13
09-26-2008, 02:38 PM

I thought you gave up? I knew a true Redbird would never quit on her team:D:

chisoxfanatic
09-26-2008, 02:41 PM
I thought you gave up? I knew a true Redbird would never quit on her team:D:
Anyone who has ever dealt with Denver Johnson-coached teams is a trooper. :wink:

CHISOXFAN13
09-26-2008, 02:43 PM
Anyone who has ever dealt with Denver Johnson-coached teams is a trooper. :wink:

LOL. Isn't that the truth! Hang in there. We can do this.

chisoxfanatic
09-26-2008, 02:50 PM
LOL. Isn't that the truth! Hang in there. We can do this.
I think we could use a little Jared Default, Ed Tolzien, and Neal Cotts circa 2000 right about now. :D:

roylestillman
09-26-2008, 02:51 PM
This would be idiotic, hmmm, most important game of the year (which IIRC was sold out for that St Patrick's promotion right?) in front of packed house vs a half full stadium...

This game is days away, whether its the Sox or MLB, get on the ****ing ball, release a time, if there are tickets available put them for sale, etc...

The tickets for Saturday's rainout (9/13) would be good for this game.

Its my understanding that tickets from the 1/2 way to St. Pat.'s (Friday 9/12's game) have to be turned in for any remaining 2008 games or April 2009 game

BigP50
09-26-2008, 02:59 PM
I get out of school at 1:55 on mondays so i would probably miss like 4 innings.

no to bad

Fenway
09-26-2008, 03:35 PM
TBS has the rights to a Monday game OUTSIDE the Chicago DMA. Comcast or WGN/WCIU would televise it locally.

Still unclear if Extra Innings would be in effect as the contract with the cable companies expires on the 28th.

TBS does have the rights to any play-in game.

Now the weather situation in NY and Philly could really foul things up. We are dealing with one nasty nor'easter and a tropical storm right behind it. Most likely the NL will have makeup games as well on Monday.

FielderJones
09-26-2008, 04:06 PM
The official notice (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080926&content_id=3553517&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws) has been posted on the Sox site.

downstairs
09-26-2008, 04:20 PM
TBS may only have rights to games after 162. The Detroit game may not be included, but I don't know for sure.

I have to believe this is the case. I doubt TBS would play a regular season game, even if it means a playoff berth. Its nothing more than game 162.

Even though game 163 is a regular season game in the standings, the reality is it is a "playoff" game. Thus, TBS gets it.

Make-up games are often forced to happen after the last scheduled game, and I never remember a national network getting it.

downstairs
09-26-2008, 04:22 PM
I get out of school at 1:55 on mondays so i would probably miss like 4 innings.

no to bad

Not so bad? They'll be up by 10 before the 5th!

DaveFeelsRight
09-26-2008, 05:13 PM
My friend seems to think the tigers are going to bust out all their big guns for this one game.

:rolleyes:

Quentin08
09-26-2008, 05:32 PM
Does anyone think this game will sell many tickets? I checked ticketmaster and nothing's selling. The whole stadium is basically still available.

Isn't it weird how ALDS Playoff games are usually played at the same time, and not much notice is given, and they still sell out every time within about 30 minutes..like in 2005, 2000, 1993 etc. But if it's a 1-game playoff (even more exciting), nothing sells. Anyone know why that is?

anewman35
09-26-2008, 10:59 PM
The tickets for Saturday's rainout (9/13) would be good for this game.

Its my understanding that tickets from the 1/2 way to St. Pat.'s (Friday 9/12's game) have to be turned in for any remaining 2008 games or April 2009 game

The 9/12 tickets are good for ANY game next year. Forget the April thing - that was for Saturday tickets when there was going to be a split double header. If Monday's game doesn't get played, those tickets will also be good for ANY game next season.

anewman35
09-26-2008, 11:01 PM
Does anyone think this game will sell many tickets? I checked ticketmaster and nothing's selling. The whole stadium is basically still available.

Isn't it weird how ALDS Playoff games are usually played at the same time, and not much notice is given, and they still sell out every time within about 30 minutes..like in 2005, 2000, 1993 etc. But if it's a 1-game playoff (even more exciting), nothing sells. Anyone know why that is?

Well, the one-game playoff would be Tuesday, probably at night, and I suspect, even with no notice, it would sell out. This Monday game is a different thing, but I suspect if it turns out we need it, we'll sell a lot more tickets than anybody seems to think. I recall somebody here yesterday saying that nobody was going to buy tickets to tonight's game, and it ended up selling out.

EuroSox35
09-26-2008, 11:21 PM

Those games sell out without the date or time even being known.

I'm guessing:
-People want to be sure the game will actually be played
-They went on sale today right, morale for the walk up crowd is probably not too high right now

FielderJones
09-26-2008, 11:24 PM

You absolutely know the ALDS game is going to be played. You don't know about game 163 until both teams involved have finished their game 162.

Frankfan4life
09-27-2008, 05:46 AM
I have tickets to the game. For some reason I'm planning on going. Maybe it will be the defining game of the season. But, more realistically, I will probably be seeing a sorry end to a promising season.

UofCSoxFan
09-27-2008, 11:28 AM
You will also be pleased to know that the tickets for sale for the Monday game are being treated as a "Prime" game, aka higher prices. Of course, the folks with tickets from the rainout aren't affected, but anyone else who wants to go is. I don't see how a 1:05 Monday game with "Prime" pricing is going to be anywhere near a sellout. That'll motivate the players.

As if they'd need any added motivation in that game. :rolleyes:

Do people seriously think this is the Sox call? No team would play a day game during the week over a night game if they could control it. Hell the Cubs are even puhing for more night games.

anewman35
09-27-2008, 11:53 AM

Yet another thing somebody is complaining about that just ISN'T TRUE. This is a makeup of one of the Detroit games. The entire Detroit series was prime. The Sox didn't change anything, the game was always prime. See yourself: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/downloads/y2008/new_sked.pdf. Get your facts straight before you bitch about something.

Brian26
09-27-2008, 12:08 PM
I have tickets to the game. For some reason I'm planning on going. Maybe it will be the defining game of the season. But, more realistically, I will probably be seeing a sorry end to a promising season.

If the Monday game happens, the Sox will win it and limp into the playoffs.

anewman35
09-27-2008, 12:16 PM
If the Monday game happens, the Sox will win it and limp into the playoffs.

It's sort of funny how it works - even though in practice there's no real difference, and people here will be just as frustrated if we make the playoffs and get swept, history will view the team very differently, just based on these last few games. "2008 American League Central Champs" is a much better way to be remembered than a mediocre team that choked away the playoffs, so let's hope we can pull it off.

ChiSoxFan81
09-27-2008, 11:37 PM
Yet another thing somebody is complaining about that just ISN'T TRUE. This is a makeup of one of the Detroit games. The entire Detroit series was prime. The Sox didn't change anything, the game was always prime. See yourself: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/downloads/y2008/new_sked.pdf. Get your facts straight before you bitch about something.

My bad. I heard on the radio that there would be prime pricing, but they didn't explain that the original game was that way.

chisoxfanatic
09-28-2008, 01:01 PM
Why on earth can't we trade in our rain-out ticket to the 9/12 game for this? I do not see what's the big deal. The lady at the ticket office couldn't give me a clear reason for this.

nasox
09-28-2008, 04:46 PM
Why on earth can't we trade in our rain-out ticket to the 9/12 game for this? I do not see what's the big deal. The lady at the ticket office couldn't give me a clear reason for this.

Because technically that game was played on 9/14 (the doubleheader).

soxwon
09-28-2008, 04:58 PM
I scored a seat in 526 12th row for $21 online.

TheOldRoman
09-28-2008, 04:59 PM
My friend seems to think the tigers are going to bust out all their big guns for this one game.

:rolleyes:I don't know about busting out the big guns, but I think Detroit will be pumped up. As Paulie said after the game, they will say "if we have to get on a plane and come here for nothing, we might as well win." Just look at what KC did this weekend. They had nothing to play for, but they almost eliminated the Twins. Teams with nothing to play for love to knock other teams out of contention. Detroit will be ready to play.

hoosiersoxfan
09-28-2008, 05:00 PM
According to ESPN.com the game is on ESPN2 tomorrow

Rohan
09-28-2008, 05:08 PM
According to the White Sox website, the game's on wgn.
Definitely going to have to skip out on a couple classes tomorrow..
Tuesday i may not be so fortunate with my Calc Exam at 2. But we'll see:cool:

Foulke You
09-28-2008, 05:10 PM
I've seen my future and it has an extended lunch hour stay at Buffalo Wild Wings tomorrow afternoon at 1PM. :cool:

kwschro
09-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Found on Tigers website - lineup for tomorrow's game in Chicago:
Santiago SS
Raburn 2B
Sheffield DH (if he doesn't hit Number 500 today)
Hessman 1B
Joyce CF
Thames LF
Larish RF
Inge 3B
Sardinha C

chisoxfanatic
09-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Because technically that game was played on 9/14 (the doubleheader).
But, the game still has tickets remaining for it, so that shouldn't be an issue, since they previously said the 9/12 tickets may be "used for a future Sox game."

kevingrt
09-28-2008, 05:13 PM
But, the game still has tickets remaining for it, so that shouldn't be an issue, since they previously said the 9/12 tickets may be "used for a future Sox game."

I bet you can exchange the tickets for tickets to tomorrow's game. But you cannot just use those same tickets.

chisoxfanatic
09-28-2008, 05:15 PM
I bet you can exchange the tickets for tickets to tomorrow's game. But you cannot just use those same tickets.
I called the ticket office this morning, and the lady said I couldn't exchange my 9/12 ticket for a remaining ticket to tomorrow's game. When I asked her why, she didn't give me a straight answer. All she said was that it had to be used for a game in 2009.

I'm calling my ticket rep tomorrow morning.

Frankfan4life
09-28-2008, 05:18 PM
It's sort of funny how it works - even though in practice there's no real difference, and people here will be just as frustrated if we make the playoffs and get swept, history will view the team very differently, just based on these last few games. "2008 American League Central Champs" is a much better way to be remembered than a mediocre team that choked away the playoffs, so let's hope we can pull it off.I always prefer having a chance to win. Teams with better season records than these White Sox have gotten swept in the first round of the playoffs so there's no great shame in that. I just want to make it to the playoffs, either crawling, hobbling, limping, whatever!!!!!! Let's just get it done and then see what happens.

Sockinchisox
09-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Santiago SS
Raburn 2B
Hessman 1B
Joyce CF
Thames LF
Larish RF
Inge 3B
Sardinha C

Uhh link?

Edit: Nevermind I found it in their forum. That can't be right though, that has to be a joke.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-28-2008, 06:01 PM
I scored a seat in 526 12th row for $21 online.

Section 536, row 19, seat 18 = 180 feet above the Sox on-deck circle.
:wink:

If you're only buying one seat, good seats still available.

Any other totally biased Sox Fans attending Monday's game at Sox Park?
:cool:

FielderJones
09-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Section 536, row 19, seat 18 = 180 feet above the Sox on-deck circle.
:wink:

If you're only buying one seat, good seats still available.

Any other totally biased Sox Fans attending Monday's game at Sox Park?
:cool:

Section 101, Row 17, seat 20, at the receiving end of a Ken Griffey Jr 425 foot blast. :wink:

whtsox13
09-28-2008, 06:17 PM
I called the ticket office this morning, and the lady said I couldn't exchange my 9/12 ticket for a remaining ticket to tomorrow's game. When I asked her why, she didn't give me a straight answer. All she said was that it had to be used for a game in 2009.

I'm calling my ticket rep tomorrow morning.

I had exchanged my 9/12 tickets for this past Friday.

thomas35forever
09-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Santiago SS
Raburn 2B
Hessman 1B
Joyce CF
Thames LF
Larish RF
Inge 3B
Sardinha C
If that's true, the Sox better win tomorrow based on that alone.

chisoxfanatic
09-28-2008, 06:21 PM
If that's true, the Sox better win tomorrow based on that alone.
Yea, I wish a link was provided for that lineup. No Grandy or Maggs, eh? We'll have to watch out for Thames, though.

DSpivack
09-28-2008, 06:31 PM
Yea, I wish a link was provided for that lineup. No Grandy or Maggs, eh? We'll have to watch out for Thames, though.

That lineup posted was a joke.

Bulls_Fan
09-28-2008, 06:31 PM
You look at that lineup and common sense says we should roll tomorrow afternoon.

However, the Sox can't think that and have to play w/ a real sense of urgency.

take care of business Monday before thinking of Tuesday.

chisoxfanatic
09-28-2008, 06:34 PM
That lineup posted was a joke.
Are you sure? Another poster posted that they saw it too at the Tigers website.

soxfanreggie
09-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Will Maggs even be at the game, or have they already released him to go to his off-season home? I wonder if teams would do that. Probably not, but the only time I think we'd see him is as a pinch hitter.

soxfanreggie
09-28-2008, 06:40 PM
Forgot to add, that pitching coach Chuck Hernandez and bullpen coach Jeff Jones will not be retained.

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080928&content_id=3568537&vkey=news_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det

They will be at the game Monday, but how much will they be "into the game". Looks like they may keep Jones on somewhere in the org, but Hernandez has his walking papers from the org.

DSpivack
09-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Are you sure? Another poster posted that they saw it too at the Tigers website.

It's nowhere on the Tigers site. I believe the poster saw it on a Tigers fan forum.

stacksedwards
09-28-2008, 06:49 PM
A wounded dog is very dangerous. The Tigers are gonna be full of piss and vinegar tomorrow. In the words of Flavor Flave, "they nervous me".

That being said... Go Sox

soxwon
09-28-2008, 06:51 PM
i correct myself sec 524 $25 row 12

oeo
09-28-2008, 06:56 PM
You look at that lineup and common sense says we should roll tomorrow afternoon.

However, the Sox can't think that and have to play w/ a real sense of urgency.

take care of business Monday before thinking of Tuesday.

Actually, a lineup like that scares me more than the one with their veterans in it. The vets are not going to want to be there. The younger guys, well, they have one more game to show what they've got.

Oblong
09-28-2008, 07:47 PM
This is the first Tiger game I've been jacked up for in a few weeks.

I'm not certain on that lineup. I could see Leyland starting Maggs and Cabrera but taking them out after one at bat.

Polanco hurt his ankle on Friday night so he's probably not going to play.

If you see Dusty Ryan at C don't assume that's a pushover move. He's a legit catching prospect with power. Inge is going to be the 3B again in 2009.

russ99
09-29-2008, 09:14 AM
So what's the deal with the broadcast? Is it on CSN or Ch 9?

If it's the latter, I'm not happy, since I DVRed the wrong one... :(:

chisoxfanatic
09-29-2008, 10:21 AM
So what's the deal with the broadcast? Is it on CSN or Ch 9?

If it's the latter, I'm not happy, since I DVRed the wrong one... :(:
Channel 9

cbotnyse
09-29-2008, 11:57 AM
start time pushed back? or is 1pm still the word.

its raining pretty good downtown, not heavy though. I wouldn't suspect more than an hour delay if any.

DaveFeelsRight
09-29-2008, 12:03 PM
stupid rain. you only come when the tigers are in town.