PDA

View Full Version : Any chance the Royals "lay down" vs Twins?

PutItOnBoardYES
09-26-2008, 11:18 AM
I dont think any teams in the central like the Sox and would like to see them over the Twins in the playoffs. Now I'm not saying KC goes out to lose in the baggy dome but I don't think they will be too disappointed if they lose two out of three.

Thoughts?

btrain929
09-26-2008, 11:20 AM
I'd be ecstatic if they lost 2 out of 3 cuz that means they won a game, and if we win 2 out of 3 vs CLE, we have the playoff game vs DET, then vs MIN, as supposed to just losing outright.

Also, KC has been one of the hottest teams the last 10-12 games, so no, they aren't just going to "lay down."

BainesHOF
09-26-2008, 11:22 AM
The Royals aren't going to lay down. They've been playing pretty well. My guess is they'll win one or more.

But it's going to be a major challenge for us to sweep Cleveland. And then beat Detroit.

PutItOnBoardYES
09-26-2008, 11:23 AM
. And then beat Detroit.

...And then beat the Twins....

alohafri
09-26-2008, 11:23 AM
But apparently they have shut down their healthy #1 starter, Zach Greinke. If that's not laying down, it is awfully damn close.

ChiSoxFan81
09-26-2008, 11:24 AM
The Royals are not going to lay down. Neither are the Indians. If anything, the Royals have much more motivation to win, to stay out of last place, and also to perform well to earn a job for next year.

PutItOnBoardYES
09-26-2008, 11:24 AM
But apparently they have shut down their healthy #1 starter, Zach Greinke. If that's not laying down, it is awfully damn close.

That's exactly what I thought when I heard that last night.

russ99
09-26-2008, 11:25 AM
I'd be shocked if the Twins don't sweep. If they were playing in KC it may have been a different story.

We'll get no favors. I'm just hoping we can win out, beat the Tigers on Monday and get the Twins in our house on Tuesday.

ChiSoxFan81

Have you not heard that Cliff Lee might be a no-go on Sunday? Seems like a convenient time for an "injury" as well.

Mohoney
The Royals aren't going to lay down. They've been playing pretty well. My guess is they'll win one or more.

But it's going to be a major challenge for us to sweep Cleveland. And then beat Detroit.

If the Royals win one, as you are presupposing, we DON'T HAVE TO SWEEP CLEVELAND! I honestly don't know what copy of the standings everybody is looking at, but I suggest getting another one.

ChiSoxFan81
09-26-2008, 11:28 AM
If the Royals win one, as you are presupposing, we DON'T HAVE TO SWEEP CLEVELAND! I honestly don't know what copy of the standings everybody is looking at, but I suggest getting another one.

Woah, chill out. I think that in this utopian weekend he is envisioning, the playoff game is not necessary to win the division.

PutItOnBoardYES
09-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Have you not heard that Cliff Lee might be a no-go on Sunday? Seems like a convenient time for an "injury" as well.

The only reason Clev has said they would pull Lee is if the game meant nothing.

soltrain21
09-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Any chance this board goes a day without a post about a media conspiracy or something as insane as this thought process?

russ99

If by some miracle we go 2-1 against Cleveland and we're up by a half game end of day Sunday, we would still have to play the Tigers on Monday. A win in that case and there's no playoff game on Tuesday.

ChiSoxFan81
The only reason Clev has said they would pull Lee is if the game meant nothing.

Yes, that's what they said before. But now, they are saying he has a stiff neck and might not go either way.

Iwritecode
09-26-2008, 11:35 AM

No, but if the Twins win 2 of 3 and the Sox sweep, they could clinch the division on Monday by beating Detroit.

kitekrazy
09-26-2008, 11:37 AM

If I'm an owner I don't want my team to lay down. A strong finish can translate into more ticket sales.

Hokiesox
09-26-2008, 11:47 AM
If I'm an owner I don't want my team to lay down. A strong finish can translate into more ticket sales.

Owners don't play the games.

kittle42
09-26-2008, 11:48 AM
This thread is silly. If the Royals lose to the Twins, it is because the Twins are the superior team.

sunofgold
09-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Imagine if you were on the Royals...wouldn't you like to finish the season not in last place? Also, if they can win the series against the Twins, that would have to make them feel a little better about themselves going into the offseason.

Twins could have a letdown. It is possible. They expended a lot of energy to win the last three games.

Somewhat like in basketball. Sometimes a team is behind 15-20 points and they make a second-half comeback and tie the score, however they have expended some much energy that they are exhausted and give back the lead at the end of the game.

OK, I am hopeful for anything good.

NoNeckEra
09-26-2008, 12:46 PM
This thread is silly. If the Royals lose to the Twins, it is because the Twins are the superior team.
Anytime major leaguers play before a full house they instinctively step it up a notch. That goes for the home and the road team(oops, I guess excluding the Sox)

The Twins may sweep, but they'll be in a battle.

nccwsfan
09-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Even though their season is virtually over the KC Royals know that they can throw a monkey wrench into the Twins' postseason plans. They're not going to lie down- neither are the Indians and (hopefully) the Tigers.

CHISOXFAN13
09-26-2008, 12:50 PM
I dont think any teams in the central like the Sox and would like to see them over the Twins in the playoffs. Now I'm not saying KC goes out to lose in the baggy dome but I don't think they will be too disappointed if they lose two out of three.

Thoughts?

My initial thought is you've never competed for anything before. True competitors never quit or "lay down."

This board is insane.

Iwritecode
09-26-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm curious to know what Royals fans are saying about this series. I checked one Royals board but you have to be a member to read any of the posts.

The one Indians board I was on showed Indians fans rooting for the Twins and hope to knock the Sox out of the playoffs. They are still stinging from that near miss in 2005.

chaerulez
09-26-2008, 01:00 PM

I agree. Shutting down Greinke doesn't equate into the entire team "laying down". Laying down would be the players on the field just don't try to win the game. Shutting down Greinke means they have a 24 year old who already threw the most innings of his career this season and they wish to not risk injury for a game that does mean nothing for them, except professional pride. Sure is it naive to think everyone on the Royals would be trying 100 percent, but it's also equally foolish to think they've just decided to mail it in the for this last series. And why would we only make these assumptions about the Royals and not Cleveland?

KyWhiSoxFan
09-26-2008, 01:09 PM
If the Sox did not lay down against the Twins, we would not have to be talking about KC. The fact is, the Sox are not good right now. They had thier fate in their hands and they blew it.

If you have to rely on KC for help, you are in deep, deep trouble.

kidmccarthy
09-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Well here it goes, my first post since the twins series started. Now that Im better....

The Royals WILL win 2 of 3. The Sox WILL win 2 of 3 from Cleveland. We will light up sweaty Freddy on Monday and win the division. I see it so clearly.

Heres how I see it going down.

Tonight - KC 4, Min 3. Kyle Davies pitches a gem. Liriano has one bad inning, and middle relief chokes.

WS 5, Cle 3. Danks is lights out and we hit two home runs.

Saturday - Min 6, KC 2. Meche sucks and Twins steal the game they should lose.

WS 6, Cle 5. Javy pitches just well enough to win in a sloppy game.

Sunday - KC 5, Min 4. Wow, Twins choke away their season on a controversial call on a Mike Aviles play at home.

Cle 3, WS 2. Lee is nails and Burls falls just short. But we have a half game lead.

Monday. WS 7, Det 4. Freddy is lit up and Floyd pitches ok. Swisher gets a clutch hit, and Brian Anderson makes a late diving catch to save the game.

Thats how i see it.:D:

WSox597
09-26-2008, 01:13 PM
I see one flaw in your prediction.

There's no way in hell Anderson will be in CF, unless Griffey is in traction. :D:

kidmccarthy
09-26-2008, 01:31 PM
I see one flaw in your prediction.

There's no way in hell Anderson will be in CF, unless Griffey is in traction. :D:

No, late inning replacement. My guess is in the 8th inning against Linebrink.

D. TODD
09-26-2008, 01:36 PM
The Royals will play hard I just hope it's enough to get two games. I doubt it, but you never know. I firmly think they will take at least one from the Twins.

TDog
09-26-2008, 01:37 PM
If by some miracle we go 2-1 against Cleveland and we're up by a half game end of day Sunday, we would still have to play the Tigers on Monday. A win in that case and there's no playoff game on Tuesday.

The Indians haven't won a game in Chicago since Sept. 11, 2007. I guess it would be a miracle if they didn't sweep the Sox this weekend.

Really, the Indians might take satisfaction in beating the White Sox this weekend. I wouldn't say they have nothing to play for. But the Royals do want to finish ahead of the Tigers. Unlike the Indians, they have a lot of young players who have something to prove. As I posted in the most recent epic postgame thread, the Royals have players who can take the garbage the Metrodome has to offer. They faced Liriano there just two weeks ago and won the game.

Neither the Twins nor the White Sox face an easy weekend. The rational side of me expect Detroit to have to come to Chicago on Monday when most of the players would rather be going home. (It would be a nice punishment to the Twins and their fans, hoping for a one-game playoff on the road and having no control over the outcome of the game that would open set it up, for the Sox to win the division on Monday, but I digress. I could digress further with my "lay-lie" lecture, but it would be unappreciated and people understand your what you're asking. Back to my point ...) Meanwhile, the reflex pessimism bred into White Sox fans has me expecting the worst.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Twins lose two of three. Granted, they have won five of six against first place teams, but they could face a greater challenge from a team fighting to stay out of last place, especially if they don't expect it. The White Sox just need to regroup and play like they can against the Indians.

The Royals aren't lying down for the Twins.

bluestar
09-26-2008, 01:37 PM
If any team "mails in" the last series, it is more likely to be the Tribe than KC. The Royals actually have something to play for right now. They do not want to finish last in the AL Central again. This has been mentioned a few times on the team's website, and I know some Royals fans that are expressing the same sentiment. Of course, that is no guarantee the Royals will win a game or games in Minnesota, but I don't think it will be from lack of effort.

The Royals shut down Greinke over concerns about Greinke's arm and the number of innings he has pitched this year. He threw 107 pitches in his last start, and they have decided that is enough. They are not conceding anything. They are being smart and understand that it is best for the long term.

On the other hand, the Tribe are near the end of an extremely disappointing season. They really have nothing to play for, other than individual statistics. (And I do not buy into the paranoid idea that all the rest of the division would rather see the Twins win than the Sox.) I don't expect the Indians to just roll over and concede the games, but I don't think they have any incentive to be as focused and determined as the Sox should be.

Minnesota is not a very good team, but they do tend to play better in that stinking dome. The Royals aren't intimidated by the Twins in the Dome like the Sox appear to be. The Royals have Davies and Meche going in the first two games, and I think they are as good or better than Liriano (right now) and especially Perkins, who is terrible.

chaerulez
09-26-2008, 04:14 PM
If any team "mails in" the last series, it is more likely to be the Tribe than KC. The Royals actually have something to play for right now. They do not want to finish last in the AL Central again. This has been mentioned a few times on the team's website, and I know some Royals fans that are expressing the same sentiment. Of course, that is no guarantee the Royals will win a game or games in Minnesota, but I don't think it will be from lack of effort.

The Royals shut down Greinke over concerns about Greinke's arm and the number of innings he has pitched this year. He threw 107 pitches in his last start, and they have decided that is enough. They are not conceding anything. They are being smart and understand that it is best for the long term.

On the other hand, the Tribe are near the end of an extremely disappointing season. They really have nothing to play for, other than individual statistics. (And I do not buy into the paranoid idea that all the rest of the division would rather see the Twins win than the Sox.) I don't expect the Indians to just roll over and concede the games, but I don't think they have any incentive to be as focused and determined as the Sox should be.

Minnesota is not a very good team, but they do tend to play better in that stinking dome. The Royals aren't intimidated by the Twins in the Dome like the Sox appear to be. The Royals have Davies and Meche going in the first two games, and I think they are as good or better than Liriano (right now) and especially Perkins, who is terrible.

Nice to see someone else with a straight head here. Shutting down Greinke has no relation to how hard the players that do take the field try. To even correlate the two is ridiculous.

EuroSox35
09-26-2008, 04:18 PM
I expect both to show up. It's too bad about Grienke though, at least Lee has been getting hit and is showing wear signs (and now the neck issue), meanwhile Grienke is having his 2nd hottest month of the year, 4 straight wins, etc. Some perspective on how good he's been http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playerrating?type=bestrotation&league=alcentral&position=all