PDA

View Full Version : The Outfield Situation

ajismyhero
09-26-2008, 10:57 AM
I realize Swisher isn't getting any love from anyone on this board right now. But let's look at the numbers from MN.

Wise went 0 for 11 with one walk dropping his season average to .176
Dye was 1 for 11 with one walk

I think it's pretty obvious something needs to be changed up. Ozzie can't keep saying that having Swisher out of the lineup is the best way to win games.

soxfan43
09-26-2008, 10:58 AM
I agree. I know Wise was hot lately, but he stranded so many runners the first 2 games, he had no business being out there again.

ChiSoxFan81
09-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Swish has been pretty terrible lately, and I can't fault Ozzie for riding the hot bat with Wise. However, it might not be the worst idea to sit Wise for a game and throw Swish out there. I like having Wise's speed off the bench anyways.

Lip Man 1
09-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Next year the Sox need to get a legit center fielder. Then you can put Quinten in left, Dye in right and if he is still here Swisher can be the 4th outfielder playing only LF or RF to spell the regulars. Swisher can also play some back up first base.

The question is, would he accept that?

If not, he needs to be moved.

Lip

kevingrt
09-26-2008, 11:06 AM
The rest of the seasons batting order.

SS O. Cabrera
C AJ Piersynski
RF J. Dye
DH J. Thome
1B P. Konerko
CF K. Griffey Jr.
2B A. Ramirez
LF N. Swisher
3B J. Uribe

These guys are paid to play in these games. If they cannot get it done so be it. There are no better options out there. We are at home. It is still warm. The ball will still fly.

Lets have some fun and win three baseball games this weekend.

ajismyhero
09-26-2008, 11:11 AM
Next year the Sox need to get a legit center fielder. Then you can put Quinten in left, Dye in right and if he is still here Swisher can be the 4th outfielder playing only LF or RF to spell the regulars. Swisher can also play some back up first base.

Lip

What about the possibily of DHing Dye since Thome's contact is up (i HATE having such a slow outfield) and playing Swish in right after signing a legit CFer? I agree we need a real CFer, this crap they've been doing the last 3 years just isn't working.

RockyMtnSoxFan
09-26-2008, 11:18 AM
What about the possibily of DHing Dye since Thome's contact is up (i HATE having such a slow outfield) and playing Swish in right after signing a legit CFer? I agree we need a real CFer, this crap they've been doing the last 3 years just isn't working.

I believe that Thome's contract was automatically extended based on plate appearances. We are stuck with old and slow. Send you thank you cards to Kenny Williams.

russ99
09-26-2008, 11:18 AM

Lip

No, Swisher will be at first base when the Sox remove the Konerko millstone off their necks. Nick is young, he's signed at a below market contract for 2 more seasons and still has solid baseball skills despite a bad season.

Keeping Konerko would hamper this team much more than keeping Swisher both on a salary and play level, and I'm confident Kenny's aware of that.

I'm with you on the real CF, and Swisher never was one, which is part of the reason he's had a down season.

RockyMtnSoxFan
09-26-2008, 11:20 AM
No, Swisher will be at first base when the Sox remove the Konerko millstone off their necks. Nick is young, he's signed at a below market contract for 2 more seasons and still has solid baseball skills despite a bad season.

Keeping Konerko would hamper this team much more than keeping Swisher, and I'm confident Kenny's aware of that.

Below market value? What exactly is market value for a poor defensive player with a .220 average and 130+ strikeouts? This guy has never been that good and never will. But hey, at least we got rid of Gio Gonzalez.

BainesHOF
09-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Swish has been pretty terrible lately, and I can't fault Ozzie for riding the hot bat with Wise. However, it might not be the worst idea to sit Wise for a game and throw Swish out there. I like having Wise's speed off the bench anyways.

I agree.

As bad as Wise was in the Minnesota series, Swisher has absolutely no clue at the plate right now. None.

ajismyhero
09-26-2008, 11:29 AM
I agree.

As bad as Wise was in the Minnesota series, Swisher has absolutely no clue at the plate right now. None.

Neither does anyone else.....Dye looks about as bad as he has looked in a Sox uniform, Wise has left how many runners stranded? and Uribe is back to looking like Uribe.

russ99
09-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Below market value? What exactly is market value for a poor defensive player with a .220 average and 130+ strikeouts? This guy has never been that good and never will. But hey, at least we got rid of Gio Gonzalez.

He's a poor defensive player in CF, where he's playing well out of position. He's average both in LF and 1B.

I'm not basing my offensive evaluation on Swisher after one season with the Sox either.

And maybe I'm being hard on Paul, but it's now 1-1/2 + seasons he's been like this, and it looks to me that his skills have diminished.

Maybe a new hitting coach could give him a different approach, but maybe it's best if he's not with the Sox in 2009.

ajismyhero
09-26-2008, 11:34 AM
He's a poor defensive player in CF, where he's playing well out of position. He's average both in LF and 1B.

I'm not basing my offensive evaluation on Swisher after one season with the Sox either.

And maybe I'm being hard on Paul, but it's now 1-1/2 + seasons he's been like this, and it looks to me that his skills have diminished.

Maybe a new hitting coach could give him a different approach, but maybe it's best if he's not with the Sox in 2009.

You forgot that Paul is the slowest man in baseball. Except maybe Toby Hall.

champagne030
09-26-2008, 11:38 AM
he's a poor defensive player in cf, where he's playing well out of position. He's average both in lf and 1b.

I'm not basing my offensive evaluation on swisher after one season with the sox either.

And maybe i'm being hard on paul, but it's now 1-1/2 + seasons he's been like this, and it looks to me that his skills have diminished.

Maybe a new hitting coach could give him a different approach, but maybe it's best if he's not with the sox in 2009.

+1

soxfan43
09-26-2008, 12:30 PM

Keeping Konerko would hamper this team much more than keeping Swisher both on a salary and play level, and I'm confident Kenny's aware of that.

I'm with you on the real CF, and Swisher never was one, which is part of the reason he's had a down season.

How exactly do we trade Konerko? I know it's the easy suggestion to make, but the guy is making a ton of money and hasn't produced in 2 seasons pretty much. the only way konerko gets moved is if the sox take on a worse contract or eat a ton of salary. And I really don't see Jerry eating a bunch of money.

RockyMtnSoxFan
09-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Fine, I agree that Paul doesn't look like the player of 2006. He might indeed be finished. On the other hand, he's not that much older than Swisher, and he's not old enough that he would typically be called "past his prime." I don't see how you can say that Konerko is no good, and won't be in the future, but Swisher is the answer at first base. Swisher is actually playing worse and has no previous track record of success. Yes, I realize he hit 35 homers one year, but Konerko has hit 30+ five times, and has a career batting average that is 34 points higher. If Konerko is bad, Swisher is much worse.

jabrch
09-26-2008, 12:33 PM
We are stuck with old and slow

Dear Kenny, Please stick us with more guys with OBPs over .350 who SLG .500+.

Nellie_Fox
09-26-2008, 12:35 PM
You forgot that Paul is the slowest man in baseball. Except maybe Toby Hall.Not as long as the Molina brothers are still drawing breath.

NoNeckEra
09-26-2008, 12:38 PM

SS O. Cabrera
C AJ Piersynski
RF J. Dye
DH J. Thome
1B P. Konerko
CF K. Griffey Jr.
2B A. Ramirez
LF N. Swisher
3B J. Uribe
Lets have some fun and win three baseball games this weekend.
Doesn't matter who they play at home. They'll score runs at the Cell. The problem is the road.

voodoochile
09-26-2008, 02:02 PM
Doesn't matter who they play at home. They'll score runs at the Cell. The problem is the road.

Well they won't have to worry about that until Thursday earliest, so we got that going for us... :D:

eriqjaffe
09-26-2008, 03:45 PM
How exactly do we trade Konerko? I know it's the easy suggestion to make, but the guy is making a ton of money and hasn't produced in 2 seasons pretty much. the only way konerko gets moved is if the sox take on a worse contract or eat a ton of salary. And I really don't see Jerry eating a bunch of money.Not to mention Paulie's a 10/5 guy and can veto any trade.

35th and Shields
09-26-2008, 03:57 PM

SS O. Cabrera
C AJ Piersynski
RF J. Dye
DH J. Thome
1B P. Konerko
CF K. Griffey Jr.
2B A. Ramirez
LF N. Swisher
3B J. Uribe

I wouldn't be opposed to sliding Dye to the fourth spot. He has not been hitting very well hitting number three and maybe even someone like griffey, who's been playing much better as of late, should hit number three. Not that the lineup matters that much but griffey's been playing with some fire lately and looks like he really wants that ring.