PDA

View Full Version : What do Dye, Konerko and Thome have in common?

WhiteSoxAl
09-26-2008, 09:38 AM
They are all overpaid , one dimensional( home-run hitters) who can't hit in the clutch anymore( 2005 is over) against the better teams. Konerko is the captain but is a joke as far as being a team leader and looks clueless at the plate as does Dye. They were all basically no shows in the Twins series. They are put in the middle of the lineup to produce RBIs but except for Paulie's pitiful ground out RBI , I am not sure they knocked in any all series. They still have time to redeem themselves against Cleveland but if the "big 3" don't collectively get it done this weekend , we are done . I would gladly eat my words if they come alive against the Indians.

chaerulez
09-26-2008, 09:56 AM
Well if you want to put blame on them, and they do deserve some since they are the big hitters in the lineup and haven't come through (although game 3's blame falls on the pitching staff not being able to hold a 6-1 lead), make sure you also blame Quentin. His immature action prevents him from even going out there to put himself in the action which is worse than anything those three have done. So yeah Quentin did a lot of great things for us this year, but it could all be for nothing since he decided he has to hit himself with his bat after a strikeout like a moron. Do Dye, Konerko and Thome deserve to be ripped if they continue to be ineffective the next three games? Yes, but at least they are playing, Quentin isn't because of his own actions.

cleanwsox
09-26-2008, 10:05 AM
Well if you want to put blame on them, and they do deserve some since they are the big hitters in the lineup and haven't come through (although game 3's blame falls on the pitching staff not being able to hold a 6-1 lead), make sure you also blame Quentin. His immature action prevents him from even going out there to put himself in the action which is worse than anything those three have done. So yeah Quentin did a lot of great things for us this year, but it could all be for nothing since he decided he has to hit himself with his bat after a strikeout like a moron. Do Dye, Konerko and Thome deserve to be ripped if they continue to be ineffective the next three games? Yes, but at least they are playing, Quentin isn't because of his own actions.

Oh please. Immature? Immature is bumping an ump and getting yourself suspended. It was a freak injury from a guy who actually shows emotion when he plays.

btrain929
09-26-2008, 10:06 AM
They are all overpaid , one dimensional( home-run hitters) who can't hit in the clutch anymore( 2005 is over) against the better teams. Konerko is the captain but is a joke as far as being a team leader and looks clueless at the plate as does Dye. They were all basically no shows in the Twins series. They are put in the middle of the lineup to produce RBIs but except for Paulie's pitiful ground out RBI , I am not sure they knocked in any all series. They still have time to redeem themselves against Cleveland but if the "big 3" don't collectively get it done this weekend , we are done . I would gladly eat my words if they come alive against the Indians.

Look at Dye's numbers this season. This is the 1st extended slump he's had this year. He was an MVP candidate alongside TCQ for most of the year. He has still played decent defense, and is definitely not overpaid for what he's producing.

Thome isn't the Thome of the CLE days, but is still putting up decent numbers. When you take into consideration how much PHI is paying of Thome's contract and what we are paying him, he is also performing above salary.

Outside of Griffey, nobody hit this past series. The blame goes to everyone.

If you need to borrow some money to buy a clue, let me know :rolleyes:

PutItOnBoardYES
09-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Oh please. Immature? Immature is bumping an ump and getting yourself suspended. It was a freak injury from a guy who actually shows emotion when he plays.

You obviously believe the story that TCQ got hurt by hitting his bat.

RockyMtnSoxFan
09-26-2008, 10:48 AM
You obviously believe the story that TCQ got hurt by hitting his bat.

Is there another story that only you know about? I haven't heard of any other explanation for his injury.

For what it's worth, last night after the Sox lost I was watching the Rockies play the Giants, and I saw Aaron Rowand slap his bat after striking out. Maybe it's not a good thing to do, but we've all seen lots of hitters do it. This time it happened to have devastating consequences.

soxfan43
09-26-2008, 10:57 AM
They were once great players and are now aging fast and can't produce? Yes, Dye has had a good year overall, but he ain't getting any younger. He's also probably the only one in that group that can be traded for any value, so I'd like to see that happen.

PutItOnBoardYES
09-26-2008, 11:05 AM
Is there another story that only you know about? I haven't heard of any other explanation for his injury.

For what it's worth, last night after the Sox lost I was watching the Rockies play the Giants, and I saw Aaron Rowand slap his bat after striking out. Maybe it's not a good thing to do, but we've all seen lots of hitters do it. This time it happened to have devastating consequences.

He punched his locker as the story was originally reported. The team covered it up by saying it was when he punched his bat in Cleveland. Believe what you want.

Lip Man 1
09-26-2008, 11:09 AM
Put:

That's a strong claim, please tell me who your source was.

For what it's worth, I've talked to people inside the organization and they deny this. The only person I've seen ANYWHERE to make this claim was Joe Cowley in a twitter message.

Lip

PutItOnBoardYES
09-26-2008, 11:11 AM
Put:

That's a strong claim, please tell me who your source was.

For what it's worth, I've talked to people inside the organization and they deny this. The only person I've seen ANYWHERE to make this claim was Joe Cowley in a twitter message.

Lip

All I'll say is my source was a player on the Thursday off night night before the news came out.

WhiteSoxAl
09-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Look at Dye's numbers this season. This is the 1st extended slump he's had this year. He was an MVP candidate alongside TCQ for most of the year. He has still played decent defense, and is definitely not overpaid for what he's producing.

Thome isn't the Thome of the CLE days, but is still putting up decent numbers. When you take into consideration how much PHI is paying of Thome's contract and what we are paying him, he is also performing above salary.

Outside of Griffey, nobody hit this past series. The blame goes to everyone.

If you need to borrow some money to buy a clue, let me know :rolleyes:

I don't care what Dye did earlier in the year. It is "crunch time" now and this is when a player really earns his salary and Dye has come up woefully short. His September numbers are abysmal. MVP candidate??!! Not if you don't produce when it counts most. You want to see what an MVP really looks like . Look at Yaz's numbers in September of 67 during one of the best pennant races ever when Boston won

totals for September 1967 (and the one pennant-clinching game in October): .417 (40-for-96) with 9 homers, 26 RBI ans 22 runs scored

Rocky Soprano
09-26-2008, 11:26 AM
All I'll say is my source was a player on the Thursday off night night before the news came out.

Sure it is. :rolleyes:

jabrch
09-26-2008, 11:38 AM
For it's wonderfulness, this post gets rated 4 Trolls!!!!
:dtroll::dtroll::dtroll::dtroll:

btrain929
09-26-2008, 11:40 AM
I don't care what Dye did earlier in the year. It is "crunch time" now and this is when a player really earns his salary and Dye has come up woefully short. His September numbers are abysmal. MVP candidate??!! Not if you don't produce when it counts most. You want to see what an MVP really looks like . Look at Yaz's numbers in September of 67 during one of the best pennant races ever when Boston won

totals for September 1967 (and the one pennant-clinching game in October): .417 (40-for-96) with 9 homers, 26 RBI ans 22 runs scored

Hawk, is that you?

If Dye didn't carry the team for 2-3 months over the summer, we probably would have been 4 games back going into the MIN series instead of 2.5 up.

Why are you singling these guys out? I don't think anyone on our team has had a good September offensively.

chaerulez
09-26-2008, 11:53 AM

EMOTION! PASSION! SWAGGER!

Great for him.

I don't care.

He injured himself by doing something stupid, I don't care if he punched a locker or did his bat thing. It doesn't matter. He put enforce force on his wrist to injure it. It was a stupid thing to do. He doesn't get a pass for this. He's a professional athlete and he should know better. Blame the team that's playing if it's justified, but remember they didn't do something stupid to take themselves out of playing.

PutItOnBoardYES
09-26-2008, 12:06 PM

Blame the team that's playing if it's justified, but remember they didn't do something stupid to take themselves out of playing.

Amen to that!

Lip Man 1
09-26-2008, 12:09 PM
Put:

Here's my e-mail address: mliptak1@msn.com

Please e-mail me with who this player was. I'd like to contact them and members of the organization to check this.

If it's true that he did this, I'll break the story on WSI and let my friends in the mainstream media know about it.

This is a serious charge by you and it needs to be proven right or wrong. Period.

Lip

dzipio
09-26-2008, 12:15 PM
Good job Lip. Put this thing to bed. I believe it was a fluke.

hi im skot
09-26-2008, 12:22 PM
He punched his locker as the story was originally reported. The team covered it up by saying it was when he punched his bat in Cleveland. Believe what you want.

Didn't Joe Cowley report that? Well ****, it must be gospel!

NoNeckEra
09-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Put:

Please e-mail me with who this player was. I'd like to contact them and members of the organization to check this.

If it's true that he did this, I'll break the story on WSI and let my friends in the mainstream media know about it.

This is a serious charge by you and it needs to be proven right or wrong. Period.

Lip
Lip, come on, you think a player is going to come out and tell the media what he might have said in private and blow this whole thing up? Dream on.

Regardless, the premis of this thread is correct. If not for a lucky break (TCQ coming out of nowhere to lead the Sox in offense) we would be even more inconsistent than we are and buried in 2nd place(or worse).

And how can you (any poster) blame the pitching for last night? Sure they gave up a 5 run lead, but the Sox got their 6 in the 3rd and were not heard from again, scoring in 1 out of 10 innings.

Noneck
09-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Put:

Lip

Lip,

I totally agree with you that this is a very serious charge. I would appreciate it if you would let us know if you get the info you requested from this poster. (not the name of course)

Nellie_Fox
09-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Ah, yes, the old "unnamed source." Always a sure-fire winner.

kittle42
09-26-2008, 12:49 PM
Lip,

I totally agree with you that this is a very serious charge. I would appreciate it if you would let us know if you get the info you requested from this poster. (not the name of course)

Murder is a serious charge. This is not. More post-meltdown silliness here.

Noneck
09-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Murder is a serious charge. This is not. More post-meltdown silliness here.

Yea I know what you mean, I guess the meltdown has creeped in my craw. Thanks for the reality check.

PutItOnBoardYES
09-26-2008, 12:54 PM
Good job Lip. Put this thing to bed. I believe it was a fluke.

Check your inbox.

kittle42
09-26-2008, 12:54 PM
Yea I know what you mean, I guess the meltdown has creeped in my craw. Thanks for the reality check.

Hey, we're all pissed! :D:

ajismyhero
09-26-2008, 01:15 PM

Can someone please explain to me why punching a locker is such a bad thing? I think AJ does it daily...

Lip Man 1
09-26-2008, 01:17 PM
Folks:

Put has supplied me with the name of the player and some information. I've requested some more. When he sends me it I will start looking into it.

I appreciate at least the fact that he was willing to tell me who said it. Granted said player may not admit it to me but I'll run it through my contacts in the media and the Sox organization and see what if anything happens.

Like I said this is a serious charge and needs to at least try to be proved or disproved.

Lip

oeo
09-26-2008, 01:18 PM
Haven't we already had this discussion (i.e., what have you done for me lately?)? You guys are boring...yawn.

LoveYourSuit
09-26-2008, 01:53 PM
Getting back to the original post, I have to agree 100% that the collapse of this team on the road trip was mainly due to our 3-4-5 hitters showing no spine out there. Us losing the division (assuming we do nothing this weekend as expected) had many factors in it including the bullpen implosion the 2nd half and the corpseball offense the 1st 3 months of the year.

That said, the only aspect of our team game that never failed despite losing one of it's key members is our starting rotation. Those 4 guys gave us every chance to win this division and I tip my hat to them. Any contending team would die to have the 4some we throw out there including Javy (say what you want, the guy is 200 innings guraranteed).

jabrch
09-26-2008, 02:16 PM
What does this thread, the Saddam's Red Brigade and the 2007 Miami Dolphins have in common?

WhiteSoxAl
09-26-2008, 02:18 PM
Hawk, is that you?

If Dye didn't carry the team for 2-3 months over the summer, we probably would have been 4 games back going into the MIN series instead of 2.5 up.

Why are you singling these guys out? I don't think anyone on our team has had a good September offensively.

Bulldoody you give Dye way too much credit He didn't carry crap

gobears1987
09-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Ah, yes, the old "unnamed source." Always a sure-fire winner.
I have a better source. He is named. I was at the airport in Charlotte near the baggage claim when I heard Kenny Williams talking on his cell phone. All I heard was "Quentin, locker, punched, and wrist."

Apologies to those who don't get the joke. If you were around in '05, you'll have fond memories.

jabrch
09-26-2008, 02:23 PM

Are you serious? For two months he had an OPS over 1.000. He SLGd over .650. He had an OBP over .375. He hit .330.

JB98
09-26-2008, 02:32 PM
Thome had a hit in all three games at Minnesota.

Dye looks to be out of gas here in September, and Konerko had a very poor three games.

Eddo144
09-26-2008, 03:11 PM
While Dye's recent slump has indeed been killing the team, labeling him as a "HR-or-bust" hitter is completely erroneous, unless you give Quentin the same label.

Through September 1 (the last game Quentin played):

Dye
1B: 75
2B: 35
3B: 02
HR: 32
TB: 279

Quetin:
1B: 75
2B: 26
3B: 01
HR: 36
TB: 274

Dye had more total bases on fewer HR. Of Quentin's total bases, 52.6% (144/274) came through HR. Of Dye's total bases, 45.9% (128/279) came through HR. Quentin was more of a "HR-or-bust" player than Dye was!

D. TODD
09-26-2008, 03:15 PM
He did in 2006 and was a right behind CQ this year, not to mention the key role in 2005.

Konerko is more hit and miss. Damn good at times horrible at others.

Thome is what he is a slugger and nothing more at this point of his career, but his contract was given for his BIG time performance at the time it was given.

PatK
09-26-2008, 03:17 PM
You gotta love all the new names that appear on this site just as it appears that the Sox may have blown their chance to make the playoffs.

You must be legends over at northsidebaseball.com

whitesoxwilkes
09-26-2008, 03:21 PM
I have a better source. He is named. I was at the airport in Charlotte near the baggage claim when I heard Kenny Williams talking on his cell phone. All I heard was "Quentin, locker, punched, and wrist."

Apologies to those who don't get the joke. If you were around in '05, you'll have fond memories.

Do I ever. Classic post.

Daver
09-26-2008, 03:38 PM
What do Dye, Konerko and Thome have in common?

They all play for the White Sox.

What do I win?

Believe It!
09-26-2008, 04:48 PM

Great for him.

I don't care.

He injured himself by doing something stupid, I don't care if he punched a locker or did his bat thing. It doesn't matter. He put enforce force on his wrist to injure it. It was a stupid thing to do. He doesn't get a pass for this. He's a professional athlete and he should know better. Blame the team that's playing if it's justified, but remember they didn't do something stupid to take themselves out of playing.

He's also what, 24? We've all done stupid things that we regret. Injuries of any kind are a part of the game, and therefore not viable excuses for them perhaps losing this division crown.

soxfan43
09-26-2008, 04:50 PM
He's also what, 24? We've all done stupid things that we regret. Injuries of any kind are a part of the game, and therefore not viable excuses for them perhaps losing this division crown.

If we didn't have quentin for most of the season we wouldn't even be in this position, the Twins would have ran away with it. To blame this on Quentin is ridiculous. As you said, he's a kid. He'll learn, move on and hopefully win a few MVPs on the southside.

jshanahanjr
09-26-2008, 05:00 PM
They make more in a month than most of us make in a lifetime?

PhillipsBubba
09-26-2008, 05:47 PM
They all suck right now and make way too much money???:scratch: