PDA

View Full Version : Ken Williams and Reinsdorf Insult our Intelligence

ssang
05-16-2002, 02:15 PM
:angry:

In the movie, "Field of Dreams" it says, If you build it, he will come. Ken Williams' and Jerry Reinsdorf's twisted motto is, If you come, we will build it. Is it just me or is anyone else really pissed about the fact that Ken Williams has the nerve to say that he'll try aquiring a new pitcher only if more fans show up? He's basically putting the blame of our pitching woes on the fans. That's the biggest B.S. I've ever heard. Last time I checked, it was the owner and GM's responsibility to make changes on the ballclub. It has nothing to do with the fans!! This is sickening. I hate Jerry Reinsdorf. He is bad for the Sox. He also just happened to ruin the Bulls too (Who chooses FAT MAN Jerry Krause over Michael Jordan?!?!). He is a cancer to the city of Chicago. He needs to be tarred and feathered.

duke of dorwood
05-16-2002, 03:01 PM
It's a terrible PR move (what's new) when you can read and hear about Strike dates being considered. Sometimes I think these guys should just put up a "KEEP OUT" sign at 35th and Veeck Dr

charlie browned
05-16-2002, 03:23 PM
What better way to insult Sox fans' loyalty and intelligence than with this crap?

Keep whining about lack of attendance, keep threatening the fans that you won't do anything to make the team better, and that which you fear most will come true: you'll drive away even the most devoted Sox followers.

Hey Kenny and Jerry--it looks like a good year to be a Red Sox fan!

Cheryl
05-16-2002, 03:29 PM
Maybe they're concerned about that extra 4000 attendees they've had so far this year. You know, if attendance goes up, they might actually have to pay rent this year.

What I want to know is, who gets the money generated by the Stones concert at the ballpark this fall? If it's Jerry, he already knows what his take on the tickets are as it's sold out. Why can't he use that to get us some pitching?

awesomefan
05-16-2002, 03:33 PM
Cheryl: ESPN Radio said that the Sport Authority people get all the money from the Rolling Stones Concert at Comiskey.

hold2dibber
05-16-2002, 03:42 PM
This issue has perplexed me for quite some time. I just can't figure out what they think this will accomplish - do they really think it will make fans say "Oh well, it's our fault, we can't blame them for not getting that starting pitcher we so desparately need"? The only thing accomplished by these comments is to piss fans off and make them think that the Sox aren't going to make a move; which, of course, makes them more pessismistic and disheartened and less likely to get behind the team. Talk about s-t-o-o-p-i-d! Does anyone know what Reinsdorf and his partners paid for the franchise? I'm guessing that the value of the franchise is about three times (at least) what it was when they bought. So the old "we can't spend a nickel if we only have a penny" line of reasoning doesn't sit well either. The owners, when they (finally, hopefully) divest themselves of the team will have made a huge profit, so spending more than they earn in a given year certainly will not, ultimately, hurt their bottom line. PLUS, any half wit can tell you that you have to spend money to make money. How could they not realize that the way to get fans back in the seats is to WIN, WIN, WIN, and show the dwindling and pessimistic fan base that yes, the Sox are commited to becoming serious contenders? And how could they not realize that the lack of fan support is the result of truly horrid, amazing, ridiculous mis-management from 1994-1998 (and 1991 when they designed and built the new park). To turn things around, the Sox have to become a consistent winner for a period of 3-5 years. This won't be accomplished by failing to spend money and blaming the fans. Unbelievable.

duke of dorwood
05-16-2002, 03:47 PM
Well, we have been consistent winners, record wise, but not championship caliber by not keeping up with acquisitions other teams make. That's where the ownership whining gets me. Go all out, then complain.

Moses_Scurry
05-16-2002, 04:20 PM
What they should do is not complain about the people who are not there, but honor the people who do show up.

Cheryl
05-16-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by awesomefan
Cheryl: ESPN Radio said that the Sport Authority people get all the money from the Rolling Stones Concert at Comiskey.

Thanks. I wondered about that. I also wonder if Jerry doesn't get a cut, but that's something we'll probably never know.

RedPinStripes
05-16-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Moses_Scurry
What they should do is not complain about the people who are not there, but honor the people who do show up.

That would make to much sense.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-16-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
I also wonder if Jerry doesn't get a cut, but that's something we'll probably never know.

What use is the Sports Authority going to spend this windfall against? They recently added a meeting and convention center. Is the money intended to pay for that?

If not to improve Comiskey Park, where can IFSA spend the money? They are a state-mandated agency and technically not-for-profit. I know they are building the Bears stadium too, but that was already funded by the hotel/motel tax and underwritten by the state. Please don't tell me this money is going to help pay expenses related to Mike McCaskey's $700 million publicly-funded playground!

:wanne
"All the pieces are in place!"

KruseControl04
05-16-2002, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Moses_Scurry

True that brother! When I get my license I'm gonna go to a million and a half Sox games, and the day of me getting my lisence is not far off.

ode to veeck
05-17-2002, 06:33 PM
Does anyone know what Reinsdorf and his partners paid for the franchise? I'm guessing that the value of the franchise is about three times (at least) what it was when they bought

I seem to remember the rejected DeBartalo Sr. sale being about $22 or 25M, Jerry, Eddie. & co. probably paid right in that range. Baseball clubs go for many times that these days, arguably even higher for a major market club

Tragg
05-18-2002, 12:17 AM
When a GM spends the premium bucks on below average players alomar and clayton like Kenny Williams did, all of the talk about financial woes rings extraordinarily hollow.