PDA

View Full Version : Sox signing Brooks Kieschnick?

Jerry_Manuel
05-16-2002, 01:03 PM
From the Sun Times:

The Sox appear to be in negotiations with former Cubs first-round draft pick Brooks Kieschnick and could sign him to a minor-league contract as early as today.

Kieschnick, who made the major leagues as a position player and was a .220 career hitter, likely would be allowed to continue his experiment of reinventing himself as a pitcher. He has been working out with the Brockton (Mass.) Rox, an expansion team in the independent Northern League.

ScottyTheSoxFan
05-16-2002, 02:45 PM
is anybody else scared about having brooks kieshnick on the team? i am

duke of dorwood
05-16-2002, 02:49 PM
It would be funny to have both him and Dallaero converting to pitchers at the same time.

duke of dorwood
05-16-2002, 02:50 PM
How old is Cub Savior #1 now?

rmusacch
05-16-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
It would be funny to have both him and Dallaero converting to pitchers at the same time.

Dallaero is converting to a pitcher?

duke of dorwood
05-16-2002, 02:53 PM
They have had him pitch in a game and it's a possibility. He threw in the 90's.

RKMeibalane
05-16-2002, 02:55 PM
If this is the Sox's answer to their pitching problems, then Ken Williams needs to be fired. I suppose it's only my fault for expecting him to do something that makes sense. I should have known he would gamble on a complete bust who couldn't even stick with the Chicago Cubs, of all teams. It's beginning to look like the chances of the Sox going after Jeff Weaver are slim to none. As long as Reinsdorf and his puppet are around, nothing good will be accomplished.

duke of dorwood
05-16-2002, 02:58 PM
3 for 1 trades will deplete your pitching depth in time. We gave up 3 for last nites pitcher, 2 for the Choice, and a couple in the David Wells trade. This cuts depth at various levels.

DrCrawdad
05-16-2002, 03:10 PM
How is this a bad move? I don't know what the risk would be for the Sox.

IMO it's reasonable to give Brooks a try. The Sox don't have to give up anyone. If it turns out that Brooks can pitch, great. If not, then what did they lose?

I say it's worth a try. Hey, if it turns out that Brooks can pitch at least when Cub fans taunt us with Bobby Hill crap then we could say that we have Brooks.

- DrCrawdad.

awesomefan
05-16-2002, 03:54 PM
I'll tell you guys a secret. For some reason I got hooked on Brooks Kieschnick & noticed him alot because I thought he looked alot like Joe Dimaggio on some of his baseball cards.

I got so interested in him that I tried to collect every baseball card I could find on him at the time a few years ago even though he was a CUB ..plus he was rated as a pretty hot prospect.

It turned out that Brooks was a dud at hitting & the Cubs got rid of him & he was on some other team in their minors for awhile the last I heard.

It really surprised me to hear of Brooks maybe coming to the White Sox but I hope he does well here if he turns out to be a decent pitcher. I got lots of really sharp baseball cards on him & would like to meet him someday.

baggio202
05-16-2002, 04:55 PM
this is a joke..right :smile:

doublem23
05-16-2002, 05:39 PM
OK.........

I don't know what everyone is so up in arms about. It's not like the Sox lose anything by signing him. If the Sox were talking about dealing for him, OK, then you have a legitimate beef with the whole process, but what's the harm in giving a guy a shot?

Of course, he doesn't have a great shot at being any good, but who thought Josh Fogg would be a world beater over in Pittsburgh?

Shway.

RedPinStripes
05-16-2002, 05:53 PM
KW never gave Josh the chance here. I remember him being quoted saying Josh might make a good mid-reliever one day. Never said he could be a starter. And how long did KW scout this guy?