PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the sox will re-sign Garland next season?

Whitesoxfan23
09-25-2008, 03:47 PM
He's going to be a free agent. For some reason, I could see this happening.

I want Mags back
09-25-2008, 03:50 PM
doubtful. he's gonna get big money somewhere, not here I think though.

skottyj242
09-25-2008, 03:51 PM
We should probably trade for Aron Rowdan too.

sox1970
09-25-2008, 03:52 PM
No.

I could see him getting a huge contract from one of the LA or NY teams.

Whitesoxfan23
I wonder how much Garland would want..

Whitesoxfan23

Who?

asindc
He's going to be a free agent. For some reason, I could see this happening.

One of the reasons the Sox decided to trade him, especially to LAAAA, was that it was no secret that he was a homesick California kid. It will be a shock if he comes back here in anything other than a sign-and-trade deal.

sox1970

Yep...and Pods too. 2005!!!1!!

sox1970
09-25-2008, 03:53 PM
One of the reasons the Sox decided to trade him, especially to LAAAA, was that it was no secret that he was a homesick California kid. It will be a shock if he comes back here in anything other than a sign-and-trade deal.

Sign and trade? Is there a new MLB rule I don't know about?

Optipessimism
09-25-2008, 03:55 PM
Belief in dinosaurs is killing this team. It's time we brought in a chauffeur to turn this bus around.

Lundind1
09-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Not a chance that he comes back, not even close.

asindc
09-25-2008, 04:07 PM

Perhaps it is not customary in MLB, but I know of no legal restrictions in doing so. Maybe the CBA between the players and mgmt. forbids it?

palehozenychicty
09-25-2008, 04:09 PM
I'd take him over Vazquez. Aside from that, he ain't coming back. The ship has sailed.

thedudeabides
09-25-2008, 04:10 PM
Perhaps it is not customary in MLB, but I know of no legal restrictions in doing so. Maybe the CBA between the players and mgmt. forbids it?

I don't know, but I hear people constantly making that suggestion and I am still waiting for it to happen for the first time.

Sign and trades happen in the NBA for salary cap reasons. It doesn't apply in MLB. Why would a team trade for a player they can just sign?

skottyj242

When you sign a player you can't trade him for a certain amount of time.

kittle42
Blah.

white sox bill
09-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Who?

Aron Rowdan , he's a distant cousin of our former CF'er.

sox1970
09-25-2008, 04:11 PM

When a player signs a multi-year free agent deal, I believe the first year is a no trade automatically.

munchman33
09-25-2008, 04:24 PM
When a player signs a multi-year free agent deal, I believe the first year is a no trade automatically.

That's not true either. I think it's something like 60 ballgames.

hi im skot
09-25-2008, 04:32 PM
Nope.

whitesox901
09-25-2008, 04:34 PM
nah, dont see it happening.

gregoriop
09-25-2008, 04:37 PM
Belief in dinosaurs is killing this team. It's time we brought in a chauffeur to turn this bus around.

Seriously, thank you. People at work looked at me because I was laughing.

LoveYourSuit
09-25-2008, 04:46 PM
I'd take him over Vazquez. Aside from that, he ain't coming back. The ship has sailed.

As bad as Vazquez is, I don't think Garland is that great of an upgrade over him.

Lip Man 1
09-25-2008, 04:52 PM
No.

From everything I've read and from the folks that I've talked to they all say the Sox were absolutely stunned in December 2006 when the price for pitchers, even average ones, like Gil Meche went through the roof.

It was at that point that Kenny reversed course and instead of acquiring starters began to trade them (i.e. Garcia and McCarthy)

This is certainly going to be an issue next season. Contreras is done, we've seen how the prospects have performed overall this stretch drive (i.e. Clayton, Broadway). Will the Sox risk not having enough pitching again because of the cost of it? Will they try to force feed Aaron Poreda into the rotation? Will they try to pick up a low salaried veteran and hope to catch lightning in a bottle?

Time will tell but hear this:

Pitching wins pennants, it is the single most important commodity in baseball and not only do you need it in quality, you need it in quantity.

We'll see what happens in the off season.

Lip

DSpivack
09-25-2008, 05:40 PM
No.

From everything I've read and from the folks that I've talked to they all say the Sox were absolutely stunned in December 2006 when the price for pitchers, even average ones, like Gil Meche went through the roof.

It was at that point that Kenny reversed course and instead of acquiring starters began to trade them (i.e. Garcia and McCarthy)

This is certainly going to be an issue next season. Contreras is done, we've seen how the prospects have performed overall this stretch drive (i.e. Clayton, Broadway). Will the Sox risk not having enough pitching again because of the cost of it? Will they try to force feed Aaron Poreda into the rotation? Will they try to pick up a low salaried veteran and hope to catch lightning in a bottle?

Pitching wins pennants, it is the single most important commodity in baseball and not only do you need it in quality, you need it in quantity.

Lip

Well, hopefully we only need one more starter, with Buehrle, Vazquez, Danks and Floyd.

munchman33
09-25-2008, 05:45 PM
No.

Lip

Good post Lip. I couldn't agree with you more.

Lip Man 1
09-25-2008, 06:26 PM
Spivak:

And what happens if someone else gets hurt? (i.e. my comment about quantity.) If you want to protect yourself you better have six starters ready.

The guy who pitches the worst in the spring becomes the long man out of the bullpen (like baseball used to do it for decades)

Lip

LoveYourSuit
09-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Well, hopefully we only need one more starter, with Buehrle, Vazquez, Danks and Floyd.

This is why I don't understand all the **** Javy gets on this board. Yes he pissed the bed once again at the big stage on Tuesday and I also flamed him for it, but to flat out say "dump him" or "trade him" is completely stupid by some of our Sox fans. The guy is a guranteed 200 innings each year. We need him.

soxfanreggie
09-25-2008, 06:49 PM
With the money the Yankees free up in payroll after this year, I wouldn't be surprised is Sabathia is in pinstripes, and it wouldn't be a shock if Garland is there too, unless he stays out on the West Coast. They have over $70 million freeing up this year alone with (I think I've been giving this analysis for about 2 years).

Most of it belongs to:
$21 mil Giambi
$16 mil Abreu
$16 mil Pettite
$11 mil Mussina
$11 mil Pavano

Xavier Nady comes off the books at approx. $4 mil. Wang will most likely get re-signed, as well as Marte's option for 2009 being picked up. They also will free up what they were paying Pudge Rodriguez for his pro-rated salary

I think that frees up $20+ mil per year for Sabathia and $12-14 mil for Garland and still leaves potentially $40+ million more for other free agents.

rowand33
09-26-2008, 02:44 PM
I think Garland needs to move to the NL.

I could see him as a Dodger.

Craig Grebeck
09-26-2008, 02:46 PM
Yuck. God I hope not. He's been terrible this season.

SOXBOY
09-26-2008, 02:49 PM
No way the Sox sign Garland.

cards press box
09-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Will they try to pick up a low salaried veteran and hope to catch lightning in a bottle?

I could see the Sox doing just that. Here's my question: given the relatively poor year that Garland had for the Angels (particularly lately), could he be that veteran pitcher? Given the success that Garland had with Don Cooper, might he want to come back to get his career back on track?

Domeshot17
09-26-2008, 04:56 PM
I hope not

HawkDJ
09-26-2008, 04:56 PM
I'm totally down for Aron Rowdan

mantis1212
09-26-2008, 05:39 PM
This is why I don't understand all the **** Javy gets on this board. Yes he pissed the bed once again at the big stage on Tuesday and I also flamed him for it, but to flat out say "dump him" or "trade him" is completely stupid by some of our Sox fans. The guy is a guranteed 200 innings each year. We need him.

We need Javy like we needed Garland at the start of 2005 - in the designated "5th starter" role. Remember that? It worked wonders for Garland - no pressure (just how Javy likes it).

Come playoff time however, Javy belongs in the bullpen. I don't care if he makes $12MM a year- his stuff got him that money, not his performance.

To answer the original question - no way Garland comes back.

Brian26
09-27-2008, 09:51 AM
One of the reasons the Sox decided to trade him, especially to LAAAA, was that it was no secret that he was a homesick California kid.

Buehrle said at Soxfest that Garland wanted to stay here and he considered Chicago his home.

slavko
09-27-2008, 08:24 PM

Jon eats innings too, and eats them better. I wish we'd have had him this year, not Javy.

DSpivack
09-27-2008, 08:33 PM
Jon eats innings too, and eats them better. I wish we'd have had him this year, not Javy.

Trade Javy and sign Garland?

Frater Perdurabo
09-27-2008, 09:24 PM
I don't think he'd come back, but I'd be pleased to pencil him in as the #4 starter to move Javy to #5.

DSpivack
09-27-2008, 09:52 PM
I don't think he'd come back, but I'd be pleased to pencil him in as the #4 starter to move Javy to #5.

I wouldn't mind penciling Garland as #4 and moving Javy to Nats Park. He prefers losing teams, anyway.

Frater Perdurabo
09-27-2008, 10:02 PM
I wouldn't mind penciling Garland as #4 and moving Javy to Nats Park. He prefers losing teams, anyway.

Javy would win the Cy Young if he pitched for the Nats.

Tragg
09-27-2008, 10:12 PM
Javy would win the Cy Young if he pitched for the Nats.
Now that's just not right.

:lol::lol::lol:

Brian26
09-27-2008, 10:22 PM
Trade Javy and sign Garland?

In a heartbeat.

DSpivack
09-27-2008, 10:23 PM
Now that's just not right.

:lol::lol::lol:

And yet true. He wasn't very good with the Sox in 2006, was suddenly very good last year on a 72-90 team, and again is crapping the bed late this season in a playoff race. He was stellar with the Expos, and couldn't take the pressure of Yankee Stadium. He just isn't very good, and I think his term on the south side is up. I'd like to see him dealt in the offseason. There were rumors that Kenny was after John Lannan at the deadline; that'd be nice, but that just depends on how stupid Jim Bowden is.

Frater Perdurabo
09-27-2008, 11:09 PM
If the Expos had never dealt Javy, he'd be a Nat today. And he'd probably be on his way to a HOF career.

Daver
09-27-2008, 11:15 PM
If the Expos had never dealt Javy, he's be a Nat today. And he'd probably be on his way to a HOF career.

The same could be said of Randy Johnson.

DSpivack
09-27-2008, 11:22 PM
The same could be said of Randy Johnson.

Difference being, he's headed for a HOF career anyways.

soxinem1
09-27-2008, 11:25 PM

Actually, the precedent is there.

When Pete Incaviglia was drafted #1 by the Montreal Expos, he wouldn't sign with them unless they traded him to either an American-based or Texas team (I don't remember the exact part of that).

Sure enough, the day he signed he was traded to TEX.

Now regarding Garland, he is not coming back. My bet the farthest east he goes (unless the NYM or NYY dump 18-20 million a year on him) is ARI.

WhiteSoxOnly
09-28-2008, 12:43 AM
Actually, the precedent is there.

When Pete Incaviglia was drafted #1 by the Montreal Expos, he wouldn't sign with them unless they traded him to either an American-based or Texas team (I don't remember the exact part of that).

Sure enough, the day he signed he was traded to TEX.

Now regarding Garland, he is not coming back. My bet the farthest east he goes (unless the NYM or NYY dump 18-20 million a year on him) is ARI.

Agreed.Garland will get a call from the Dodgers i suspect.They will
probably lose Derek Lowe (sinkerball guy for the Cell ? ) and i think
Brad Penny might be coming off the books as well.If the Dodgers make
an offer,i bet he takes it.

Craig Grebeck
09-28-2008, 12:44 AM
People do realize Jon Garland's ERA is 4.90 -- right? For the third straight season, his strikeouts are down. He's given up 237 hits in 196 2/3 innings. He's been horrible.

ChiSoxGirl
09-28-2008, 01:04 AM
In a heartbeat.

No kidding! Javy is owed, what, $12 million/year, give or take? How much more than that would Garland be in search of? I'm not asking a rhetorical question, but am being serious in wanting to know how much more than $12 million/year Garland would be looking for.

StillMissOzzie
09-28-2008, 01:53 AM
Oh, and by the way...Happy Birthday, Jon! Sorry it was a day late!

SMO
:gulp:

SBSoxFan
09-28-2008, 08:06 AM
People do realize Jon Garland's ERA is 4.90 -- right? For the third straight season, his strikeouts are down. He's given up 237 hits in 196 2/3 innings. He's been horrible.

Apparently not. Garland's WHIP is 1.51 with a BAA of .303. Javy is 1.32 and .263 this year. Regarding strikeouts, Javy has walked 2 more batters than Garland but struck out 110 more!