PDA

View Full Version : Nationals can set dubious record tonight.

Jollyroger2
09-25-2008, 02:26 PM
If the Nationals draw fewer than 34,000-something fans tonight, they will set the record for the lowest yearly attendance for a new stadium in the Camden Yards era. Not suprising really, the team god-awful horrible and everything else about the franchise is a real mess. TV and radio ratings are also ridiculously low.

With cool, rainy weather in the area here, it's probably a safe bet they'll set the record.

Lundind1
09-25-2008, 02:28 PM
I would buy that for a dollar. I have heard that it is a wonderful place to watch a game. That may have been a team that should have been contracted a few years ago. Hopefully it won't turn out to be a huge white elephant for the city.

Jollyroger2
09-25-2008, 02:41 PM
I would buy that for a dollar. I have heard that it is a wonderful place to watch a game. That may have been a team that should have been contracted a few years ago. Hopefully it won't turn out to be a huge white elephant for the city.

I've been over there a few times. The stadium is decent but nothing special really, and some tickets and the concessions are ridiculously over-priced, even by MLB standards and especially to watch barely a AA-AAA level team. I wonder how they'll draw next year. The last game I went to, Philly was in town and I was astounded at how many Phillies fans had tickets down low in the ST sections behind the dugout. Many of them I asked said they got them on ebay, stubhub, etc for way below face value, which tells me many ST holders were already bailing.

Everything else is such a mess too. Kasten, the team President, apparently wants out, the owners are being cited constantly in the paper for being cheap, (they didn't even sign their #1 draft pick just on a matter of a few thousand bucks)....and they have no players to really build any kind of interest around. I bet attendance really plummets next year unless they pony up and bring in some real players for once.

asindc
09-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Jolly,

I've been to a few games at Nats Park this year, and I agree with your comments. I think ownership is to blame here. The concessions are too expensive. And frankly, this team is still a novelty act in this area. Once NFL season started and the 'Skins took the field, forget it. They have to put a competitive team on the field to get attention.

I think they were hoping to get a .500 ball club out of the current players, but almost everyone on the team has underperformed, except for Christian Guzman and our old friend Willie Harris. Ownership and management are getting reamed in the press here for not at least going after a couple of big-name FAs to draw fans. They need to make a splash soon.

soxpride724
09-25-2008, 02:57 PM
That's too bad, I like the Nats. You guys are right about everything being overpriced over there. I attended a game against the Pirates there in April and it was all Pittsburgh fans who got a great deal on tix.
Great stadium, minor league atmosphere though so I can see why attendance is so bad. I hope they can get something going over there.

white sox bill
09-25-2008, 04:07 PM
I thought The Cell had lowest attendance!

LITTLE NELL
09-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Washington DC should have never been given a franchise. The city had 2 other teams that moved to the Twin Cities and Texas, why reward failure.

DSpivack
09-25-2008, 04:30 PM
The owners still haven't paid rent or tax to the city, as they claim that the stadium wasn't ready at the beginning of the season. For such an awful park, they seemed to draw okay at RFK, especially when they were winning [well, .500, anyway]. I don't see a reason why this area, larger and wealthier than many baseball markets, can't support a team. Although the Redskins are far and away the most popular team in town.

hi im skot
09-25-2008, 04:39 PM
That's too bad, I like the Nats. You guys are right about everything being overpriced over there. I attended a game against the Pirates there in April and it was all Pittsburgh fans who got a great deal on tix.
Great stadium, minor league atmosphere though so I can see why attendance is so bad. I hope they can get something going over there.

Pittsburgh still has fans?

DSpivack
09-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Good article on the Nats (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/rawfisher/2008/09/nats_09_are_lower_ticket_price.html?hpid=news-col-blogs).

soxpride724
09-25-2008, 10:52 PM
Pittsburgh still has fans?

Yeah I was like what the ****, lol. I couldn't believe how many came out to D.C

soxpride724
09-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Washington DC should have never been given a franchise. The city had 2 other teams that moved to the Twin Cities and Texas, why reward failure.

Also, if the strike of 94 never happened and the Expos take the title they still would be in Canada.